HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

Lidstrom vs. Orr

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-06-2007, 11:04 AM
  #1
Ribban
Registered User
 
Ribban's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: USA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,512
vCash: 500
Lidstrom vs. Orr

LOL!

Along with the recent ranking of Lidstrom as the best Euro player of all times in the NHL, someone had to make sure it was pointed out that he maybe great, but only second best in the league... Right behind Bobby Orr.

Considering our own thread about best Swede ever, I found it funny that the comparison was made, or even brought up. Obviously Bobby Orr wouldn't stand a chance against Lidas, even if Nicklas played on one skate, but for their time, Bobby Orr may have dominated more than Lidstrom, although Orr benefits from the "memory lane" factor that tends to bring people up a few notches.

OK.. let it rip.. any thoughts?

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 03:09 AM
  #2
TANK200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
Orr was the second best player of all-time behind only Wayne Gretzky (though some would even call him the best). There is really no comparison between Orr and Lidstrom. Bobby Orr played nine full seasons before having his career ended by injury. In those 9 years, he won the Norris trophy as best defenseman 8 consecutive times, the Hart trophy for most valuable player 3 times, and led the league in scoring twice (something no other defenseman has even done even once). What made these accomplishments even greater is that he did not sacrifice defensive play. Any time he led a rush into the offensive zone, he was the first man back on defense, and was always willing to put his body on the line to block shots in an era where equipment in not even close to that worn today. Orr was in a class of his own when he played.

On that note, I also believe that calling Lidstrom the 2nd best defenseman ever is highly overrating him. Eddie Shore, Doug Harvey and Ray Bourque all accomplished significantly more than Lidstrom has, and did so against better competition. I rank Lidstrom as the 5th best defenseman ever behind only these four mentioned. He is, however, still playing and I believe that another 2 or 3 Norris trophies (if he can manage this) would likely cause me to change my mind.

As for being the best European player, that is also debatable. He is certainly one of the top three that has played in the NHL along with Jaromir Jagr and Domanik Hasek. I personally rank him as a close second to Jagr, though I recognize that the title of best European player ever could easily be given to any of the three players that I mentioned.

TANK200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 12:48 AM
  #3
Ribban
Registered User
 
Ribban's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: USA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK200 View Post
Orr was the second best player of all-time behind only Wayne Gretzky (though some would even call him the best). There is really no comparison between Orr and Lidstrom. Bobby Orr played nine full seasons before having his career ended by injury. In those 9 years, he won the Norris trophy as best defenseman 8 consecutive times, the Hart trophy for most valuable player 3 times, and led the league in scoring twice (something no other defenseman has even done even once). What made these accomplishments even greater is that he did not sacrifice defensive play. Any time he led a rush into the offensive zone, he was the first man back on defense, and was always willing to put his body on the line to block shots in an era where equipment in not even close to that worn today. Orr was in a class of his own when he played.

On that note, I also believe that calling Lidstrom the 2nd best defenseman ever is highly overrating him. Eddie Shore, Doug Harvey and Ray Bourque all accomplished significantly more than Lidstrom has, and did so against better competition. I rank Lidstrom as the 5th best defenseman ever behind only these four mentioned. He is, however, still playing and I believe that another 2 or 3 Norris trophies (if he can manage this) would likely cause me to change my mind.

As for being the best European player, that is also debatable. He is certainly one of the top three that has played in the NHL along with Jaromir Jagr and Domanik Hasek. I personally rank him as a close second to Jagr, though I recognize that the title of best European player ever could easily be given to any of the three players that I mentioned.
Hmmm.... nah. Objection dismissed,

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 01:39 AM
  #4
hdw
Registered User
 
hdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,498
vCash: 500
This again is one of those impossible comparisons.

If you had a Bobby Orr in his prime versus a Nicklas Lidström in his prime (like last week) it wouldn't even be funny.

And the reason is way beyond those actual players.

Any proffessional athlete today, compared head to head, is a good deal better than his or her college 30 years ago, regardless of sport.

How many 30+ year old world records are there?

Comparing with in regard to the average level of the league for each of them gives a different answer.

Orr both redefined and refined the D position, he took it to a level not seen before.

Lidström has refined the position with his hockey sense and positioning, but he's not on the same strata as Orr.

Bobby Orr is number one, and he will remain number one until kingdom come.

Nicklas Lidström is top 5, possibly top 3 if he continues to play on this level for a couple of years more.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 05:02 PM
  #5
Nordic*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tellus
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Orr dominated his peers more, Lidström is 10 times better than Orr ever was.

Depends how you look at it.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 03:13 AM
  #6
toastman344*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,354
vCash: 500
None of U Swede posters here...EVER even saw ORR PLAY...This entire thread is a TOTAL NON STARTER/JOKE ! Lidstrom couldn't CARRY ORR'S JOCK !!!!!

Likewise, saying that the Swede must be better...just cuz Orr played 30 years ago...is MORE HOGWASH...If the players of yesteryear were so inferior...How is it that HOWE played IN 5 DIFFERENT DECADES ???

Ask Gordie who the best he ever saw was...He'd answer BOBBY ORR...WITHOUT A MOMENT'S HESISTATION...

P.S. : NO APOLOGIES FOR THE CAPS EITHER KRONORS...FULLY DESERVED !...Ur Hockey history IQ's or lack thereof...DESERVE A TOTAL ***** SLAPPING...

CHEERS

toastman344* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 10:12 AM
  #7
Mr Kanadensisk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,521
vCash: 500
We could have a great debate over who the best defenceman was while Lidstrom was playing. With guys like Coffey, Bourque, Leetch, Pronger and Neidermayer it would be a good discussion.

In my opinion the only way to compare players of different era's is by how much they dominated the game when they played.


Last edited by Mr Kanadensisk: 12-16-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 11:30 AM
  #8
toastman344*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,354
vCash: 500
Mr.Kanadensick:
Quote:
We could have a great debate over who the best defenceman was while Lidstrom was playing. With guys like Coffey, Bourque, Leetch, Pronger and Neidermayer ( Stevens, MacIinnis, Chelios etc ) it would be a good discussion.
In my opinion the only way to compare players of different era's is by how much they dominated the game when they played.

Notably, Orr played against HOF D men like Park, Potvin, Robinson, Horton and Savard...Yet There was NO DEBATE...Who THE BEST D man was...nor who THE LEAGUE'S BEST PLAYER was...NOR ( for many in the ORR era... ) WHO THE BEST ALL TIME WAS..' ( even the old timers , at that time, were quick to say he was the best they'd ever seen...Still The Greastest Ever IS # 4...say NO MORE!'

P.S.: When was the last time a D-man led the NHL in scoring ?

toastman344* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 07:33 PM
  #9
canuckulous
 
canuckulous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
Orr dominated his peers more, Lidström is 10 times better than Orr ever was.
Depends how you look at it.
I wasn't aware that human evolution happened so fast.

Orr is / was / and will always be twice the player that Lidstrom is. And Lidstrom is a GREAT player.

canuckulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 02:27 AM
  #10
SpartyWing86*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Athletes are better now than they were many years ago. It's not that the person has changed, but the preparation for playing at the highest level has changed drastically. We know more about nutrition and physiology today than decades ago. The game has been reinvented a few times. Remember when the trap was first conceived and teams bashed their heads against the wall trying to solve it? Athletes today aren't better made, but they are better trained.

That being said, I think Lidstrom and Orr play at about the same level. So considering this, it isn't a surprise Orr dominated when he played. He was years ahead of his time.

However, I must add in something. Hockey isn't constantly evolving either. It merely transitions in a discreet manner whenever rule-changes and other events happen. This like the broadening of the player base to include international talent, technological innovations that produce better gear, lock-outs and rule changes all server to divide hockey into eras IMO.

So, in toto, I would say that Lidstrom is tied for 2nd with Bourque behind Orr all time. This is considering the player's ability as well, not just the player's contrast to his peers.

SpartyWing86* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 08:13 PM
  #11
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
I look at Nicklas Lidstrom as the second best defenseman of all time, but Bobby Orr is, in my mind, the greatest hockey player ever. He had such a short career, yet put up so many points while still being incredibly solid defensively. Imagine if Orr had played a full career without his bad knee: I'm fairly sure he'd be called the best ever by > 90% of hockey fans.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 08:41 PM
  #12
Augustus Pablo
Registered User
 
Augustus Pablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Internet
Posts: 2,427
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=SpartyWing86;11775276]Athletes are better now than they were many years ago. It's not that the person has changed, but the preparation for playing at the highest level has changed drastically. We know more about nutrition and physiology today than decades ago. The game has been reinvented a few times. Remember when the trap was first conceived and teams bashed their heads against the wall trying to solve it? Athletes today aren't better made, but they are better trained.
QUOTE]

Exactly....Bobby Orr did not get the same training methods that the players of today have (that includes Lidstrom ) and we are still putting Orr ahead, that tells me something about how great Orr was.

Augustus Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 07:05 AM
  #13
Nordic*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tellus
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Wisdom View Post

Exactly....Bobby Orr did not get the same training methods that the players of today have (that includes Lidstrom ) and we are still putting Orr ahead, that tells me something about how great Orr was.
People who refuses to see reason puts Orr ahead of the superstars of today.


I don´t.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 01:44 PM
  #14
hdw
Registered User
 
hdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
People who refuses to see reason puts Orr ahead of the superstars of today.


I don´t.
Bobby Orr redefined the game of a hockey defense man.

Nicklas Lidström excels in playing that game.

That puts Orr in a league of his own.

If that is regarded as 'refusing to see reason', then I plead guilty.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 07:40 AM
  #15
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyWing86 View Post
Athletes are better now than they were many years ago. It's not that the person has changed, but the preparation for playing at the highest level has changed drastically. We know more about nutrition and physiology today than decades ago. The game has been reinvented a few times. Remember when the trap was first conceived and teams bashed their heads against the wall trying to solve it? Athletes today aren't better made, but they are better trained.
I don't think this is true. I think that the average world class athlete is superior now, for a number of reasons. But I see little reason to think that what is true for the average is true for the extremes, especially the top superstars. Top superstars are psychologial and physical freaks. They're different from ordinary athletes, period. Differences between eras are overstated when it comes to the outstanding.

If Bobby Orr played today, he would be a top defenseman, hands down. Personally, I don't have a horse in this Orr vs. Lidstrom race. But to say that Lidstrom is 10X the player beause of the era is just plain silly.

People who think that the progression of the game is so extreme may wonder how Rod Brind'Amour played the same game for almost 20 years with such consistent success. And Ron Francis, who did the same thing a few years earlier. You might not want to compare Brind'Amour with Francis (as an Islander fan, though, there's no opposing player I feared like Brindamour), but the guy always had freaky strength and endurance, things tha determined his game. I'd bet he'd be roughly the same kind of player *in any era*.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 09:47 AM
  #16
rcduthie77
Registered User
 
rcduthie77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,149
vCash: 500
Lidstrom is GREAT, a fantastic, unbelieveable, talented player who will be a first ballot H.O.F'er for certain but no question he is the third best defenceman of all time.

Bobby Orr - Greatest ever that simple, 7 Norris's in 9 full seasons...incredible.

Ray Bourque - Was the 2nd most dominant defenceman in history...Holds almost every record possible for defencemen and was statistically ripped for several Norris trophies despite haveing 5.

Nicklas Lidstrom - No question he belongs here, a very close 3rd but 3rd none the less. I love Lid's game and he's definatly one of my role models but he cannot pass Bobby and Ray, however his name does belong with theirs.

rcduthie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 03:53 PM
  #17
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,310
vCash: 500
I love Lids but he wouldn't even be able to carry Orr's jockstrap around. Orr was the best ever PERIOD.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:13 PM
  #18
hdw
Registered User
 
hdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcduthie77 View Post
Ray Bourque - Was the 2nd most dominant defenceman in history...Holds almost every record possible for defencemen and was statistically ripped for several Norris trophies despite haveing 5.

Nicklas Lidstrom - No question he belongs here, a very close 3rd but 3rd none the less. I love Lid's game and he's definatly one of my role models but he cannot pass Bobby and Ray, however his name does belong with theirs.
I agree (as noticed) fully on the Orr part.

I would however prefer to leave the Bourque/Lidström issue open and undecided until Lidström retires

Bringing home a cup as captain of his team would for instance tilt the factors a bit.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:56 PM
  #19
rcduthie77
Registered User
 
rcduthie77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
I agree (as noticed) fully on the Orr part.

I would however prefer to leave the Bourque/Lidström issue open and undecided until Lidström retires

Bringing home a cup as captain of his team would for instance tilt the factors a bit.
Ok fair enough, I will admit being a Bruins fan and with Ray Bourque being an idol of mine it will be hard to sway me no matter what but even so if anyone were to ever put any defenceman other then Orr above Bourque or Lidstrom I believe their crazy these 2 guys are definatly #2 and #3 all-time respectivly (for now anyways lol).

rcduthie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 05:09 AM
  #20
Seiza
Registered User
 
Seiza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,129
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
The discussion is rather silly avtually. There will never be a d-man ranked ahead of Orr, mostly because of him being so superior in his time and because it is highly unlikely that another d-man wins the scoring race again. Even if Lidström probably would the better player if the played in the same era, there is really no way of knowing. If Lidas gets another Norris this year, I would have to say that he's #2 of all time.

Seiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 03:15 PM
  #21
Canad93
Registered User
 
Canad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Orr..oh my god Orr not even a chance of Lidstrom.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:46 PM
  #22
kg14
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Comparing Lidstrom to Orr is like comparing Yzerman to Gretzky. Being a Detroit fan I can plain as day state the Wings were top 5 in their respective positions, but those other 2 are the best ever.

Gretzky > Yzerman
Orr >Lidstrom

What Bobby Orr did was remarkable. 9 full seasons, 8 norris trophies, 3 MVP's. That's just stupid right there.

kg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:16 PM
  #23
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era
 
Boxscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1985-94
Posts: 4,449
vCash: 500
No disrespect to the great Nicklas Lidstrom but this it not a competition. In fact it's not even fair to Lidstrom. A better comparison for Lidstrom would be Ray Bourque - and I prefer Bourque by a thin hair. IMO Nick Lidstrom is the 5th best all-around defenseman to ever play the game. Some will disagree with my listings because of Denis Potvin but I think Potvin was the 3rd best total package defenseman to ever lace up skates. I would go:

1. Orr
2. Harvey
3. Potvin
4. Bourque
5. Lidstrom
6. Shore

Boxscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 10:32 AM
  #24
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!
 
Lugaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Göteborg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
You'll never be allowed to say that Lidström is on Orr's level since he has the nostalgia-boon, he's always going to be remembered as super awesome because he was in comparison with everyone else who played back then. Lids has played during a much tougher era when the game is much faster and harder on the physical side, but he'll never get as much credit since "He never won an Art Ross", well big surprise, the game is totally different these days. You just can't compare eras like that.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 12:18 PM
  #25
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era
 
Boxscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1985-94
Posts: 4,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
You'll never be allowed to say that Lidström is on Orr's level since he has the nostalgia-boon, he's always going to be remembered as super awesome because he was in comparison with everyone else who played back then.
With respect, Lidstrom is not on Orr's level because no defenseman is (or has been) on Orr's level in the history of hockey so far. That is not an insult to Lidstrom, it's the truth. Orr redefined the entire defense position, dominated everyone in his era (not just defensemen) and is regarded by many hockey historians as the greatest PLAYER to ever play the game. Could the same be said about Lidstrom? Would anyone ever say Lidstrom was better than Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
Lids has played during a much tougher era when the game is much faster and harder on the physical side, but he'll never get as much credit since "He never won an Art Ross", well big surprise, the game is totally different these days. You just can't compare eras like that.
I disagree. Orr played in a era where there were 12 teams and the players were a lot more physical and mean. Lidstrom never had to take the physical abuse Orr did on a nightly basis. Lidstrom never had to play on two bad knees without medical advances to cure him. In fact, I think Lidstrom gets all the credit he deserves. A fan started a thread comparing him to Orr - that alone proves how much credit Nick Lidstrom gets (and deserves) in hockey circles. Lidstrom is one of the true greats, don't get me wrong, but Orr was just simply better.

Boxscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.