HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CONFIRMED: [STL-ANA] Doug Weight, Michal Birner, 7th in '08 for Andy McDonald

Old
12-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Talentless Practise*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Horrible reasoning. If, as it's being hypothesized, Burke made this deal to clear up room next year, wouldn't it make more sense to hold onto McDonald until the season ended and then deal him? You can't convince me that the return would be any less than Weight in the summer. Attaching Niedermayer to this deal might have made sense if McDonald was making 3x the money that Weight is, but he's not, so it doesn't.
Because Nieds couldn't come back before tagging salary was cleared. That's why he didn't wait for the offseason.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsson Schmilsson View Post
Or, more accurately, would you rather have a washed-up Doug Weight for half a year or Andy McDonald at a very reasonable salary for the next 3 years?
That's how to look at it from a St. Louis point of view. Nobody's questionining that this was a very shrewd move on their part.

For the Ducks, Burke just had a weird situation to deal with since Niedermayer was on the fence the entire time. Burke had to make decisions in July based on not having Niedermayer or Selanne back. Now that one (maybe both) wants back in, then you make moves to adjust accordingly. And then mix in that Niedermayer apparently wants to retire for real after this season just makes it that much more ugly.

Personally would have tried to pawn off Marchant along with Edmonton's 2nd round pick, but who knows if there was a team willing to do that.

Again, just because St. Louis got awesome value doesn't mean that the Ducks don't get any added benefit. Like last year, the Devils had to fork over a 1st rounder to San Jose to get Vladimir Malakhov off the books. The Sharks got a free first round pick (which they traded to rent Bill Guerin). The Devils freed up cap space to sign Brian Gionta and Paul Martin. That's just the nature of the cap now where cap space is an implied commodity in trades, ie Shean Donovan for Peter Schaefer.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Artyukhin*

ho ho ho ....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=11836

Blues have agreed to trade Doug Weight to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for who is believed to be Andy Macdonald (Center). Details to come shortly.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Saku

I wonder where Andy is going to play with the Blues because Kariya Tkachuk and Boyes have been playing really well together.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safir View Post
Get's a half way replacement for McDonald. Not equal value, McDonald is better.

Burke get's rid of McDonald salary for next season. He'll used those saved 3.333+ x to sign Cory Perry to an extension. That's what I meant by long term salary cap considerations.

He's still a couple million short to sign Perry. Lowe's cooking up an offer sheet right now.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Checker*

Just thinking out loud here.

The original poster said Selanne is coming back...he never said to the Ducks. Being that the Blues still have some cash, could he be coming back to the NHL with his friend Paul Kariya and linemate Andy McDonald?

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soli
Supervision Required

Just heard it on TSN: Thats Hockey.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:22 PM
spoon*

They just confirmed it on TSN

McDonald for Weight

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
Now watch, the Ducks will trade Weight back to St. Louis for a pick and announce the return of Selanne.
Why wouldn't they have just traded McDonald to St. Louis for a pick?

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:23 PM
bananaz

wow, that's weird. great deal for st.louis. i think this means that selanne aint coming back.

kariya-andymac-boyes

not bad

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mrpither
Better to burn out

Quote:
Still not enough room to sign Perry to an extension.

Bye-bye, Corey.
scotty retires after this season and opts out of final year of contract - lots of room to sign perry.

unless the oilers make another offer that burkie won't match again...

mrpither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Refuse
Mr. Hockey

Quote:

Burke get's rid of McDonald salary for next season. He'll used those saved 3.333+ x to sign Cory Perry to an extension. That's what I meant by long term salary cap considerations.

BTW, you are an Oiler fan right?
But he has to get more cap room still to pull that re-signing off. And for this season, taking on Weight's salary makes me scratch my head just a little bit.

Refuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post

The original poster said Selanne is coming back...he never said to the Ducks. Being that the Blues still have some cash, could he be coming back to the NHL with his friend Paul Kariya and linemate Andy McDonald?
hey why not ?sounds good. email ecklund let him know

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuCKoivu View Post
I wonder where Andy is going to play with the Blues because Kariya Tkachuk and Boyes have been playing really well together.
Weight has been playing with Kariya and Boyes for a few weeks now. So I assume McDonald is gonna stay on that line.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Spawn

Quote:

BTW, you are an Oiler fan right?
Yeah I'm an Oiler fan.

I get why Burke is doing it, what I'm saying is that if he didn't make dumb signings in the summer he wouldn't have to do this kind of deal. Doug Weight for McDonald? Come on, thats absolutely brutal. The ducks secondary scoring is already brutal, and it just got worse.

Yeah Mcdonald jumped on the Selanne trade the last couple years. But he's still better than Doug Weight. Who before a week ago didn't have a goal.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
That's how to look at it from a St. Louis point of view. Nobody's questionining that this was a very shrewd move on their part.

For the Ducks, Burke just had a weird situation to deal with since Niedermayer was on the fence the entire time. Burke had to make decisions in July based on not having Niedermayer or Selanne back. Now that one (maybe both) wants back in, then you make moves to adjust accordingly. And then mix in that Niedermayer apparently wants to retire for real after this season just makes it that much more ugly.

Personally would have tried to pawn off Marchant along with Edmonton's 2nd round pick, but who knows if there was a team willing to do that.

Again, just because St. Louis got awesome value doesn't mean that the Ducks don't get any added benefit. Like last year, the Devils had to fork over a 1st rounder to San Jose to get Vladimir Malakhov off the books. The Sharks got a free first round pick (which they traded to rent Bill Guerin). The Devils freed up cap space to sign Brian Gionta and Paul Martin. That's just the nature of the cap now where cap space is an implied commodity in trades, ie Shean Donovan for Peter Schaefer.
Yes. Correct. When you put yourself in a terrible cap position, you have to make terrible trades to get out of it.

Last year, Lamoriello did it. This year, Burke is the one whe painted himself into a corner (a habit of his).

Old
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
He's still a couple million short to sign Perry. Lowe's cooking up an offer sheet right now.
$20 says Kevin Lowe doesn't give an offer sheet this summer. This bet is open to anyone and everyone that wants to take it.

mrpither
Better to burn out

Quote:

welcome to a few pages ago

mrpither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

wow, this guy's still young too, I feel I can actually look at the Blues without laughing now...O wait, legace's still injured, isn't he?

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
Because Nieds couldn't come back before tagging salary was cleared. That's why he didn't wait for the offseason.
Ah...I never really understood the tagging salary stuff. Regardless, a pick would have been better than Weight if you ask me, and Nieds returning doesn't make Burke look any wiser in all of this.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Spawn

Quote:

That would be the biggest shock ever. The hockey world would be stunned.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Safir*

Quote:
I think that Marchant will be shipped out either via waivers or a trade. Burke can sweaten a deal by adding a 2nd round, as it has been mentioned above.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
hey why not ?sounds good. email ecklund let him know
Only if you or another poster emails him with me to boost his (e) rating

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:26 PM
bananaz

it's still not on tsn or any other major sports website

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:26 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:

Sounds like the perfect situation for him. Would be surprised if Davidson hadn't already spoken to Selanne about the possibility before he made the trade.