HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CONFIRMED: [STL-ANA] Doug Weight, Michal Birner, 7th in '08 for Andy McDonald

Old
12-14-2007, 06:53 PM
broad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Bryan Burke is the greatest GM in the world. He made excellent decisions and handles his young talent admirably.

I mean, look at what he's done with Lupul, Penner, Bryzgalov and now McDonald.

At the rate this is going, Burke needs to go. Anaheim's going to be gutted come the trade deadline.
You're saying he shouldn't have included Lupul in the package for Pronger? Or he should have matched Penner's offer sheet?

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Uber Coca

So Selanne is coming back...

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:56 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna View Post
You're saying he shouldn't have included Lupul in the package for Pronger? Or he should have matched Penner's offer sheet?
As for Penner, being pro-active and getting him signed before teams could offer sheet him might have been an idea.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Lupul was traded for Pronger, Penner got him 3 picks one of which may be a top-5. And now MacDonald which we can't say anything about for a while. That's not a particularly good list to prove your point, friend.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsson Schmilsson View Post
As for Penner, being pro-active and getting him signed before teams could offer sheet him might have been an idea.
If only Penner had been willing..

Old
12-14-2007, 06:58 PM
12 oz Papa*

Quote:
Bryan Burke is the greatest GM in the world. He made excellent decisions and handles his young talent admirably.

At the rate this is going, Burke needs to go. Anaheim's going to be gutted come the trade deadline.
Lupul and Smid got the Ducks Pronger... I'd say that was well-played. Penner leaving wasn't completely Burke's fault. Sure, he should have signed Penner a bit quicker - but Lowe certainly didn't help matters.

Bryzgalov? He mentioned multiple times he tried to find a good trade, but ultimately, nothing made sense. He kept his promise to Bryzgalov and let him go to another team. Sure, we lost an asset for nothing, but sometimes keeping your word and showing class goes a bit further than that.

Now, the McDonald and Weight trade, it makes sense. They are both somewhat similar as far as points this season go and it helps the Ducks sign Perry next year, who, quite frankly, it much more valuable than Andy McDonald.

Overall, Burke hasn't been outstanding with all his moves, but he certainly isn't driving Anaheim into the ground by any means.

A defense that features Scott Niedermayer, Mathieu Schnieder and Chris Pronger is quite remarkable. Brian Burke helped put it together along with acquiring some quality role-players to mix in with the talented skill players that were already there when he arrived.

I'd have to say Burke has done quite a good job in Anaheim.

And oh yeah, they won the Cup last season.

12 oz Papa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna View Post
Nope. Just saying that Burke is horrible at managing his assets. He should have gotten a deal hammered out with Penner earlier than he did.

Lupul's deal made sense, but can you tell me that Bryzgalov's or McDonald's trades were smart moves?

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taves View Post
Lupul and Smid got the Ducks Pronger... I'd say that was well-played. Penner leaving wasn't completely Burke's fault. Sure, he should have signed Penner a bit quicker - but Lowe certainly didn't help matters.

Bryzgalov? He mentioned multiple times he tried to find a good trade, but ultimately, nothing made sense. He kept his promise to Bryzgalov and let him go to another team. Sure, we lost an asset for nothing, but sometimes keeping your word and showing class goes a bit further than that.

Now, the McDonald and Weight trade, it makes sense. They are both somewhat similar as far as points this season go and it helps the Ducks sign Perry next year, who, quite frankly, it much more valuable than Andy McDonald.

Overall, Burke hasn't been outstanding with all his moves, but he certainly isn't driving Anaheim into the ground by any means.

A defense that features Scott Niedermayer, Mathieu Schnieder and Chris Pronger is quite remarkable. Brian Burke helped put it together along with acquiring some quality role-players to mix in with the talented skill players that were already there when he arrived.

I'd have to say Burke has done quite a good job in Anaheim.

And oh yeah, they won the Cup last season.
They won the cup in spite of Burke, not because of him.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 07:00 PM
broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsson Schmilsson View Post
Maybe.

Maybe Penner knew he was going to get an offer sheet and stalled signing a new contract.

Maybe Burke didn't think that Lowe was going to target him, as there were several other teams with touted RFAs as well.

Old
12-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Tachycineta

In case anyone is wondering (I'm sure some people know but I didn't-) a quick and dirty summary:

Michal Birner, a LW from the Czech Republic was St. Louis's 4th round pick (116th overall) in 2004.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/michal_birner

According to hockey future's- he's a 7.0C. He played for Saginaw (OHL) and in his last year there- he scored 80+ points. He is in his 2nd year 2 in the AHL and last year, had 28 points there. This year, he has 5 points in 18 games.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!

Last edited by Tachycineta: 12-14-2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: detail tweaks
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
They won the cup in spite of Burke, not because of him.
LOL. Burke got them Nieds, Pronger, Beauchemin, Selanne... yeah, they would have won with Mike Keenan as GM.

Old
12-14-2007, 07:02 PM
vcx*

If any of the slumping ducks wake up and start to pick up their play, that team is going to be filthy to watch. I mean if Bertuzzi, Weight, and Kunitz start to produce more often and consistently, damn.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 07:03 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
In case anyone is wondering (I'm sure some people know but I didn't-) a quick and dirty summary:

Michal Birner, a LW from the Czech Republic was St. Louis's 4th round pick (116th overall) in 2004.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/michal_birner

According to hockey future's- he's a 7.0C. He played for Saginaw (OHL) and in his last year there- he scored 80+ points. He spent 2 years in the AHL and last year, had about 20 points there.
Sounds like a whole lotta nothing special.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 07:04 PM
trbr86

Can't believe they gave up their 7th round pick.

Blues.

trbr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Johnny Utah

I think the one thing Ducks fans should be happy about is they didnt have to part with Beauchemein....Pronger, Nieds, and Scheidner are studs, but they are all over 34 years old. This way they keep there one young D man who would've been the most valuable trading assest on D for his age and what he makes...

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Hainsey View Post
So Selanne is coming back...
Weight coming off the books will balance out a bonus rollover for Selanne.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 07:06 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Good on Ericnut who called this yesterday
Righteous. I looked at most of his 97 posts before yesterday to see how legit he may be.....I had no doubt he wasn't BS'ing this.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
If someone would have suggested this as a trade proposal, then he would have been laughed at..

Maelmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Marns
@SH_Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Sounds like a whole lotta nothing special.
Pretty much.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
broad

Quote:
Nope. Just saying that Burke is horrible at managing his assets. He should have gotten a deal hammered out with Penner earlier than he did.

Lupul's deal made sense, but can you tell me that Bryzgalov's or McDonald's trades were smart moves?
In addition to whatever Burke said about promising Bryzgalov a chance to start, by waving Bryzgalov he made sure that he wouldn't have to face him in the playoffs, unless Bryzgalov stood on his head and elevated whoever claimed him into a playoff spot, something highly unlikely. I don't know whether or not that security is worth whatever he would have got for trading him, but it wasn't a completely worthless move.

As for McDonald, I don't know yet. As of right now, seems like a bad trade.

Old
12-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Plager05

Completely out of nowhere for the Blues. Also an amazing deal for us. Weight is just slow, and his lack of speed was killing our scoring. Gives the Blues 6 actual top 6 quality forwards for the 1st time in a long time.

I don't see the hoopla over Selanne though. The Ducks actually added payroll for this season and traded away his linemate, whom Selanne was noted for playing well with. I just don't see how it follows that Selanne is headed to Anaheim.

Plager05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
5H4RK5

A lot of movement for the Ducks. Burke is on a roll.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
If any of the slumping ducks wake up and start to pick up their play, that team is going to be filthy to watch. I mean if Bertuzzi, Weight, and Kunitz start to produce more often and consistently, damn.
When you are counting on a worthless Bertuzzi, a decrepit Weight, and an overachieving Kunitz as the solution for your offensive woes things are pretty close to rock bottom.

You better hope that D turns into a lockdown sub-2.00 GA/G unit, because I highly doubt that offense is enough to get you back to the Finals (or even to the Western Conference Finals).

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Horrible reasoning. If, as it's being hypothesized, Burke made this deal to clear up room next year, wouldn't it make more sense to hold onto McDonald until the season ended and then deal him? You can't convince me that the return would be any less than Weight in the summer. Attaching Niedermayer to this deal might have made sense if McDonald was making 3x the money that Weight is, but he's not, so it doesn't.
The key thing is not just clearing up salary for next season - it is acquiring a contract which expires after this season.

The amount of room you have under the tagging rules for transactions made during this season is your current Payroll Room plus the aggregate amount of contracts that you have expiring at the end of the season.

Trading McDonald at the end of the season or trading him just for draft picks does not help the Ducks with the tagging room they need now to activate Nieds plus make any other roster moves.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 07:11 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
When you are counting on a worthless Bertuzzi, a decrepit Weight, and an overachieving Kunitz as the solution for your offensive woes things are pretty close to rock bottom.

You better hope that D turns into a lockdown sub-2.00 GA/G unit, because I highly doubt that offense is enough to get you back to the Finals (or even to the Western Conference Finals).
Bertuzzi, while not worth 4M, is by no means worthless. Weight...haven't seen him much, and you've probably never watched Kunitz by calling him overachieving. He's one of the most consistent Ducks.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote