HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CONFIRMED: [STL-ANA] Doug Weight, Michal Birner, 7th in '08 for Andy McDonald

Old
12-14-2007, 10:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
So apparently is Weight

http://www.stltoday.com/blogs/sports...ed-to-anaheim/

That doesn't sound real good
Sounds like JD told Weight that if he wants to get a head start with a new team, to do it, because he wasn't going to be with the Blues next year.

On the flip side, if Weight really didn't want to leave, he had a NTC, he didn't have to go. However, what good is a NTC when your team basically comes up and tells you they want you to leave.

At least that's how I interpret it.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 10:52 PM
vcx*

vCash: 500
The management did, not the team. I doubt his teammates said hey, waive it we got a chance to bring MacDonald here!!

Weight is a class act.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Spawn

Weights a ****ing champ.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 11:00 PM
TerminatorBlue

As a Blues Fan I'm excited..Wow what a deal they get McDonald for Weight and will probably resign Weight back next year anyway! Andy Mcdonald will play good with David Perron!!

I know Anhiem was trying to clear cap space for next year but why wouldn't they try to get prospects or draft picks instead,I mean Weight wouldn't be that big of a factor anyway? and after this year they will have nothing.
I bet they could of got a high first rounder for Andy Mac.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC4ME View Post
As a Blues Fan I'm excited..Wow what a deal they get McDonald for Weight and will probably resign Weight back next year anyway! Andy Mcdonald will play good with David Perron!!

I know Anhiem was trying to clear cap space for next year but why wouldn't they try to get prospects or draft picks instead,I mean Weight wouldn't be that big of a factor anyway? and after this year they will have nothing.
I bet they could of got a high first rounder for Andy Mac.
John Davidson said "and Dougie won't be here next year" when this went down. That sounds like they told Doug they don't plan to re-sign him next season. Especially with MacDonald now signed for next year and Backes seemingly likely to be a solid 3rd-liner by then.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Erika

wow !! Good call Ericnut !! That was impressive !!

The Ducks got pwned in this one !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsson Schmilsson View Post
what does that have to do with this trade?
The fact that you have to ask that question speaks volumes about you.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:13 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
How so? Lupul and Smid were dealt for Pronger, you're going to fault Burke for that? Come on. Penner was offered a ******** contract and he's thus far not living up to it, can't blame Burke for taking the picks, which could end up being a lottery pick. Sure Burke could've tried to sign Penner beforehand, but then again, so could've Nonis with regards to Kesler. O'Brien landed a 1st round pick, not horrible. Perry and Kunitz are still with the team, one is signed long term and the other will likely soon be. Bryzgalov was a back-up goaltender set to be UFA, the most he likely could've landed was a 2nd round pick. As for Foster, 5th/6th d-man at best. Who cares?
Burke was GM when the Ducks won a Cup. His moves to get Pronger helped push the Ducks over the top, period. Every GM will deal prospects to get a player that pushes his team over the top, period. Every GM.

The only real thing I'll slightly take issue with above is the, "O'Brien landed a 1st round pick" remark. While it's true that Shane O'Brien and a 3rd landed Gerald Coleman and a 1st, Burke didn't make that move with the intent of having a 1st round pick at the draft - it was to be able to "get into the game" as he put it since the asking price for guys started with "a prospect and a 1st." Without a 1st round pick [his was already in Edmonton], he couldn't really bid on guys. In the end he still had the 1st and the Ducks went on to win the Cup, but his original plan wasn't, "... and get a 1st round pick so I can get a good player at the Draft."

12-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

I'm shocked Andy Mac was dealt, but I'm content with it. I do think Weight's got some more gas left in the tank, and I think he'll work better with Bertuzzi.

As for Ducks fans mad because we have a crappy offense, hasn't this happened before? Oh wait, yes, yes it has. In 2006, many Duck fans were uncertain about a deal that subtracted from their offense but added to their defense. They deemed the defensive addition, although very good, unnecessary and too pricey, and now there was no second scoring line. The trade, of course, was the Pronger deal. People now wonder why we aren't dealing defense rather than offense, but like Burke said, they don't want to break this unit up. And why would they? This is easily the best 6-man unit the NHL has seen in years. Burke's blue print is to rely on his defense to win him games, and I believe it'll do just that.

Also, I liked Andy Mac, but really, it makes you wonder if Selanne indeed made him. For the most part, he hasn't played with good offensive players, and he and Bertuzzi haven't worked well together, but even when he was with guys like Perry and Kunitz, it's not like he did any better. Also, McDonald's $3+ million may be a little pricey for a second line center, considering how much they spend on defense. IMO Weight may stay for another kick at the can, but at a reduced rate. St.Louis won't be bringing him back, and California's a great place to play hockey. Or, an Andy Mac clone in Andrew Ebbett could break out similarily and fill in for him.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Burke was GM when the Ducks won a Cup. His moves to get Pronger helped push the Ducks over the top, period. Every GM will deal prospects to get a player that pushes his team over the top, period. Every GM.

The only real thing I'll slightly take issue with above is the, "O'Brien landed a 1st round pick" remark. While it's true that Shane O'Brien and a 3rd landed Gerald Coleman and a 1st, Burke didn't make that move with the intent of having a 1st round pick at the draft - it was to be able to "get into the game" as he put it since the asking price for guys started with "a prospect and a 1st." Without a 1st round pick [his was already in Edmonton], he couldn't really bid on guys. In the end he still had the 1st and the Ducks went on to win the Cup, but his original plan wasn't, "... and get a 1st round pick so I can get a good player at the Draft."
That's just playing the odds. Burke knew full well he could end up not making a deal, and would have to sacrifice OB for a 1st. He was confident enough with his defense, and worse-case scenario he gets a first rounder in the draft. Very smart move.

Old
12-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
That's just playing the odds. Burke knew full well he could end up not making a deal, and would have to sacrifice OB for a 1st. He was confident enough with his defense, and worse-case scenario he gets a first rounder in the draft. Very smart move.
Yes .... that was the worst case scenario. That's not why he went after it in the first place.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Pepper

Andy McDonald's stats with and without Selanne:

Without:

2001-02 Anaheim Mighty Ducks NHL 53 7 21 28
2002-03 Anaheim Mighty Ducks NHL 46 10 11 21
2003-04 Anaheim Mighty Ducks NHL 79 9 21 30
2007-08 Anaheim Ducks NHL 33 4 12 16

With:

2005-06 Anaheim Mighty Ducks NHL 82 34 51 85
2006-07 Anaheim Ducks NHL 82 27 51 78

With Selanne he was a PPG player. Without him he's a 0.5 PPG player.

Burke made the conclusion that AndyMac's great seasons were products of Selanne and decided to trade his contract (3.33M cap hit) which allows him to bring Nieds back for the rest of the season and sign Perry to a long-term contract.

I fully expect AndyMac to get lots of points in Blues (~25g 35a) but given the Ducks situation, something had to be done.

I much rather trade AndyMac than Beauchemin given their contracts.

Old
12-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Yes .... that was the worst case scenario. That's not why he went after it in the first place.
Burke knew that he could end up with "only" the 1st rounder, i.e. he wouldn't be able to make a deal.

Lot's of GMs made dumbass moves at the deadline (Waddell, Wilson), Burke didn't make a deal simply for the sake of making a deal. He was prepared to make one and was ready for it but didn't see the value being there.

I would have been extremely pissed had Burke given the 1st rounder in return for Rivet, that's for sure.

What Burke did was get a good prospect with that 1st rounder AND won the cup. Doesn't get any better than that.

Old
12-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Doesn't make it any less of a smart hockey move. He traded an asset he didn't necessarily need for a very good asset that could be used in a number of ways. The O'Brien trade, no matter the end result, was genius.

Old
12-15-2007, 12:56 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
The fact that you have to ask that question speaks volumes about you.
Weight's salary this year - 3.5M
McDonald's salary this year - 3.333M

Expain how this trade makes it possible for Selanne to sign for this year. That's what the other guy claimed.

Holy crap. What is wrong with you people?

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:59 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Andy McDonald may be on his way out but not positive. I am 100% sure that Weight is headed to the Ducks and I am willing to put my reputation on it.
i smell a banning coming on.

edit: nvm, i just realized its legit... props to you

lol

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 01:04 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:

I would have been extremely pissed had Burke given the 1st rounder in return for Rivet, that's for sure.

What Burke did was get a good prospect with that 1st rounder AND won the cup. Doesn't get any better than that.

How would you have felt if Pronger or Niedermayer had gotten injured? Bet you would have rather had Rivet at that point. You were lucky to go through the playoffs without a significant injury.

There's a lot of luck involved in winning the cup and the Ducks got lucky last year.

Old
12-15-2007, 01:05 AM
Pepper

Quote:

Expain how this trade makes it possible for Selanne to sign for this year. That's what the other guy claimed.

Because Selanne can sign a bonus-laden contract where the bonuses might roll in to NEXT year's cap. Because of this move, Ducks have 3.33M more on their cap space next season.

Old
12-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:

It doesn't make it any easier, but it doesn't make it any harder, either. Frankly, it always has been and remains a non-issue. If Selanne wants to come back, he will be signed. There's nothing preventing him. These sources, however, both reported that Selanne was coming back, along with Weight going to Anaheim days before it happened, so the GP is inclined to believe he will return.

Old
12-15-2007, 01:08 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
How would you have felt if Pronger or Niedermayer had gotten injured? Bet you would have rather had Rivet at that point. You were lucky to go through the playoffs without a significant injury.

There's a lot of luck involved in winning the cup and the Ducks got lucky last year.
Do you know what the Ducks' record was with Pronger out of the line-up? 2-0. Also, who's to say guys weren't injured? Did you happen to see Teemu Selanne's face during that run at all? The Ducks won the cup, and won it convincingly. End of story.

Old
12-15-2007, 01:10 AM
Pepper

Quote:

lmao, you're as bitter as Hasbro and Wetcoaster.

Had Pronger or Niedermayer got injured, it wouldn't have mattered if Ducks had Rivet or not. Ducks defense was built around Nieds and Pronger, had either of them sustained a serious injury it would have been over for Ducks, no matter what. Ducks were lucky enough to win the games that Pronger missed because of suspensions but that's it.

And *EVERY* SC winning team gets lucky at some point, a FACT.

Old
12-15-2007, 01:12 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Doesn't make it any less of a smart hockey move. He traded an asset he didn't necessarily need for a very good asset that could be used in a number of ways. The O'Brien trade, no matter the end result, was genius.
*sigh*

Question: if O'Brien goes on to have a solid career and Logan MacMillan craps out, does it still look like a genius move? It's a little early to grade the trade in any meaningful way beyond, "Burke dealt a 3rd and O'Brien and ended up with a 1st round pick."

Did I say it wasn't a smart move? No - I said, "yes ... O'Brien and a 3rd brought back Coleman and a 1st" - but Burke's original intent in that trade was not to keep the 1st. It was to trade it to upgrade the team; if he still had it at 3:00pm Eastern on February 27th, that was OK too ... but that's not what his #1 goal was with the trade.

In retrospect, yes - it was a great move, he got his cake and got to eat it, too ... but that was something that was unknown on February 28 after the dust had settled. It wasn't known until after the Ducks had won the Cup [and there was no guarantee of knowing whether that would happen after all the trades were processed]. Months after, we can say, "gosh - what a fantastic trade" - but that's months after ... and as I said, it's way too early to declare a winner in that deal.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 01:18 AM
Pepper

Every trade/non-trade gets rated only after a period of time.

Fact is that Burke won the cup, we really don't know how it would have played out in the end had he not traded OB or had he traded the 1st rounder for a chump like Guerin or Rivet.

So even if OB becomes a no.1 d-man (I doubt it very much, even though I was probably OB's biggest fan), Burke's team won the cup and in the end that's ALL that matters.

Old
12-15-2007, 01:24 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Because Selanne can sign a bonus-laden contract where the bonuses might roll in to NEXT year's cap. Because of this move, Ducks have 3.33M more on their cap space next season.
Oh lord, do I hope Burke does this. If he did, it would guarantee he would either have to let Perry walk or gut the team elsewhere.

I don't think he's as shortsighted as you, though, to reduce his team's cap number for next year when they're already in cap hell without having to re-sign or replace players.

Please, please, please, though. That would be great.

Old
12-15-2007, 01:31 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
*sigh*

Question: if O'Brien goes on to have a solid career and Logan MacMillan craps out, does it still look like a genius move? It's a little early to grade the trade in any meaningful way beyond, "Burke dealt a 3rd and O'Brien and ended up with a 1st round pick."

Did I say it wasn't a smart move? No - I said, "yes ... O'Brien and a 3rd brought back Coleman and a 1st" - but Burke's original intent in that trade was not to keep the 1st. It was to trade it to upgrade the team; if he still had it at 3:00pm Eastern on February 27th, that was OK too ... but that's not what his #1 goal was with the trade.

In retrospect, yes - it was a great move, he got his cake and got to eat it, too ... but that was something that was unknown on February 28 after the dust had settled. It wasn't known until after the Ducks had won the Cup [and there was no guarantee of knowing whether that would happen after all the trades were processed]. Months after, we can say, "gosh - what a fantastic trade" - but that's months after ... and as I said, it's way too early to declare a winner in that deal.
If O'Brien goes on to win a Norris and MacMillan never plays a game in the NHL, Burke still probably wins. Losing OB hurt, but without it, Kent Huskins never plays in those playoffs, and probably isn't here right now. And considering OB's aggressive play, who knows what changes with him in and Huskins out.

Also, I know you didn't diss the deal, but what's your issue with it? Who cares what his intentions were? Peter Griffin pointed out that he didn't just sell off Shane O'Brien for a pair of sneakers. His intention was to better prepare for a cup run, and he ended up with a first rounder, whatever. At the end of the day, he still didn't sell off Shane O'Brien for nothing. Peter Griffin was responding to a poster who talked about how Burke mismanaged his youth, and clearly he didn't, as the worst-case scenario was a first round pick, and the best case scenario was a top-line forward. What your issue with that is, I have no idea.