HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CONFIRMED: [STL-ANA] Doug Weight, Michal Birner, 7th in '08 for Andy McDonald

Old
12-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Flinch*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsson Schmilsson View Post
Oh lord, do I hope Burke does this. If he did, it would guarantee he would either have to let Perry walk or gut the team elsewhere.

I don't think he's as shortsighted as you, though, to reduce his team's cap number for next year when they're already in cap hell without having to re-sign or replace players.

Please, please, please, though. That would be great.
Shh. We should let the Anaheim Ducks Spin Department get back to saying how useless McDonald is.

Quit trying to talk sense. Bryan Burke is the greatest GM in the world: he said so.

Also, Stanley Cup. Don't you know all great GMs win Stanley Cups? By winning Lord Stanley's mug, Burke joins the likes of such luminaries like Jay Feaster.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 01:40 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Oh lord, do I hope Burke does this. If he did, it would guarantee he would either have to let Perry walk or gut the team elsewhere.

I don't think he's as shortsighted as you, though, to reduce his team's cap number for next year when they're already in cap hell without having to re-sign or replace players.

The problem is, the Ducks don't need to give Selanne bonuses. They've got about $3 million in room right now, and if Hnidy goes, they'll have even more. Hell, Burke still might move Marchant, especially since now he doesn't have to anymore. Either way, the Ducks will play their 41st game on December 30th. Which means, if Selanne signs on January 1st, he's only playing half a season. Now, if the Ducks give Selanne $2.5 million or so, that's the equivalent of $5 million a season. And, hell, if he signs January 1st, he's still not in shape, and the Ducks will suspend him for 10-21 days or whatever. If this happens, Selanne will only play in 30 or so games this season. Considering that's just over 1/3rd of a season, I think between $2 million and $3 million guaranteed is pretty damn good.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 01:44 AM
Robert Pahlsson

What I find a little funny about the trade is that Burke obviously find a McDonald <-> Weight swap uneven so throw in this Birner guy and a 7th rounder... this is from a GM who gives away 2nd rounders like candy...

Robert Pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 01:49 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
The problem is, the Ducks don't need to give Selanne bonuses. They've got about $3 million in room right now, and if Hnidy goes, they'll have even more. Hell, Burke still might move Marchant, especially since now he doesn't have to anymore. Either way, the Ducks will play their 41st game on December 30th. Which means, if Selanne signs on January 1st, he's only playing half a season. Now, if the Ducks give Selanne $2.5 million or so, that's the equivalent of $5 million a season. And, hell, if he signs January 1st, he's still not in shape, and the Ducks will suspend him for 10-21 days or whatever. If this happens, Selanne will only play in 30 or so games this season. Considering that's just over 1/3rd of a season, I think between $2 million and $3 million guaranteed is pretty damn good.
I know. That's what I said originally, before your buddy Pepper started chirping about bonuses.

I think St. Louis is a better situation for Selanne anyway. I think he'll sign there, if he wants to play.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 02:04 AM
Tachycineta

I know both Anaheim and St. Louis did what was right for their respective teams but I have to feel bad for Weight (and McDonald to a lesser extent). He didn't want to leave and purposely came back to St. Louis after the 06 cup. But these are pro hockey players and big boys so as indicated, I'm sure he'll handle it professionally. Still, it still sucks (even if it is business).

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 02:21 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

5 bucks says McDonald is out indefinitely with PCS by the end of January.

12-15-2007, 02:37 AM
Michael Scofield

Good trade to both teams. Andy Mac is a very good player with the right teammates and will fit in. I like Weight a lot so im happy he's come to Anaheim. Hopefully he'll move to Newport

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 02:42 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
I know. That's what I said originally, before your buddy Pepper started chirping about bonuses.

I think St. Louis is a better situation for Selanne anyway. I think he'll sign there, if he wants to play.
It may be, but it's highly doubtful Selanne goes anywhere other than Anaheim. He has two linemates playing in St.Louis, but other than that, what motivation does he have to go there? He lives in Anaheim and has a great shot to win a cup in Anaheim yet again. Selanne going to St.Louis is less likely than Lindros coming out of retirement to lead the Flyers to the cup.

Old
12-15-2007, 02:45 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
What I find a little funny about the trade is that Burke obviously find a McDonald <-> Weight swap uneven so throw in this Birner guy and a 7th rounder... this is from a GM who gives away 2nd rounders like candy...
Burke, in two seasons and change, has traded like 6 second rounders and acquired 4. Why people continue to say that he hates second rounders, I don't know.

Also, not enough is said about Birner. He's no blue-chipper, but he seems fairly solid. Maybe he could turn into something one day.

Old
12-15-2007, 03:32 AM
Coins

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
It may be, but it's highly doubtful Selanne goes anywhere other than Anaheim. He has two linemates playing in St.Louis, but other than that, what motivation does he have to go there? He lives in Anaheim and has a great shot to win a cup in Anaheim yet again. Selanne going to St.Louis is less likely than Lindros coming out of retirement to lead the Flyers to the cup.
Not according to Stricklands new blog.

Coins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 03:35 AM
AgentNaslund*

Andy McDonald is a nothing player without Selanne.

Kinda like...

Vanek and Afingenov and a handful of players are useless withtout...
Drury Briere.

Naslund is not as good without Jovo.

Weight is a proven star player. Mcdonald is good.

Im kinda surprised about this trade actually, long term id ont see how it helps the Ducks. it reminds me of the time he traded Weekes Bill McKault and Dave Scathard for Felix Potvin 2nd and 3rd round pick.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 03:38 AM
vcx*

Naslund and Jovo...what the hell?

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 03:45 AM
Michael Scofield

Mcdonald cannot play like he did last season without Selanne. Teemu is a star winger who can score just as well on any line. If he comes back i see him paired with Weight in the middle and Bert on the left.

Old
12-15-2007, 03:59 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
Andy McDonald is a nothing player without Selanne.

Kinda like...

Vanek and Afingenov and a handful of players are useless withtout...
Drury Briere.

Naslund is not as good without Jovo.

Weight is a proven star player. Mcdonald is good.

Im kinda surprised about this trade actually, long term id ont see how it helps the Ducks. it reminds me of the time he traded Weekes Bill McKault and Dave Scathard for Felix Potvin 2nd and 3rd round pick.
It helps long-term in the sense that Corey Perry can get signed, and they have cap space for next season. It's been over two years since the salary cap came in, yet people still can't figure out that cap space is a very important asset yet.

Quote:
Not according to Stricklands new blog.
Haha, this reminds me of when Eklund had Selanne most likely to St.Louis for the longest time till Burke scooped him up.

Anyway, you begin to wonder how credible Andy Strickland is. Strickland, earlier in the week, reported that there was no trade happening in St.Louis, despite the fact that this deal has been done for days, and everyone was waiting on Weight to waive his NTC. I know the guy's connected, but how you miss that, I don't know. Also, Strickland bases Selanne to the Blues on absolutely nothing, other than Paul Kariya talks to him. He even says IF Selanne wants to play in St.Louis, they'll make it happen. Selanne just had a baby girl, so there literally is no chance of him playing elsewhere. He's not going to go play hockey in freaking St.Louis and be away from his newborn just because he has some friends on the team. He doesn't have much motivation to come back, and he would have no motivation to go play in St.Louis or any other city. He's a Duck for life. It's also not like Anaheim can't accomodate his financial wants, either. He's also said repeatedly that if he does come back, it's for Anaheim.

Why people continue to think he'll go play for other teams, I don't know. First he was going to Montreal because Koivu's there. Then it was Philly because of Timonen and Kapanen. Now it's St.Louis because of Kariya and McDonald. Any parent will know that he's not going to go play hockey in another part of the country when his daughter was just born. The Ducks most certainly want him back, so if he wants to come back, he'll be welcomed back with open arms. If not, then that's just the way she goes, and he stays retired.

Old
12-15-2007, 04:16 AM
Sandman33

Quote:
1.5 years of McDonald

for

0.5 years of Weight

That's it. Period.
I have read every page in this thread and you sir are THICK.

When it comes down to getting one of the best players EVER in Scott Niedermayer to defend your cup along with getting a decent player in Weight, a prospect, and a pick in return....let alone room to sign an impact player like Perry its DONE.

You keep trying to SIMPLY compare Andy and Doug instead of opening your eyes to the whole picture that has been repeatedly BEAT into your face in the last 14 pages.

On top of all that you have the NERVE to call Burke a horrible GM while he is the reigning cup champ.

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 04:33 AM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
*sigh*

Question: if O'Brien goes on to have a solid career and Logan MacMillan craps out, does it still look like a genius move? It's a little early to grade the trade in any meaningful way beyond, "Burke dealt a 3rd and O'Brien and ended up with a 1st round pick."

Did I say it wasn't a smart move? No - I said, "yes ... O'Brien and a 3rd brought back Coleman and a 1st" - but Burke's original intent in that trade was not to keep the 1st. It was to trade it to upgrade the team; if he still had it at 3:00pm Eastern on February 27th, that was OK too ... but that's not what his #1 goal was with the trade.

In retrospect, yes - it was a great move, he got his cake and got to eat it, too ... but that was something that was unknown on February 28 after the dust had settled. It wasn't known until after the Ducks had won the Cup [and there was no guarantee of knowing whether that would happen after all the trades were processed]. Months after, we can say, "gosh - what a fantastic trade" - but that's months after ... and as I said, it's way too early to declare a winner in that deal.
Quote:

AGAIN...who the **** cares what happens later if you end up winning TWO cups back to back???

Will you be here all glad and happy if they have to "gut the team" after winning two cups in a row? Or just twice as bitter?

What if Perry realizes after winning his SECOND cup in a row that Anaheim is a quality organization and wants him to stay so he goes the Crosby route and signs for something reasonable?...or they dont resign Schnieder or Marchant and make room?

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 04:35 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman33 View Post
You keep trying to SIMPLY compare Andy and Doug instead of opening your eyes to the whole picture that has been repeatedly BEAT into your face in the last 14 pages.
It's actually amazing that after 2 seasons of it, people have yet to realize that there are greater pictures to deals that just the players involved. Brian Burke made a series of deals, all of which from first glance look horribly lopsided. I'm not even talking about the Fedorov deal here, I'm talking about Rucchin, Leclerc, and Sykora for a combined 4th rounder and the suspended Maxim Kondratiev. Even though they're not superstars, those guys are way more valuable combined than a 4th rounder and Drats. But, trading these three guys allowed three new players, Chris Kunitz, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, to enter the line-up. This is the salary cap era, where cap space is a very valuable asset. Only a select few GMs seem to have realized this, and even fewer fans, it seems.

Old
12-15-2007, 04:43 AM
vcx*

Assuming Selanne wants to come back to the Ducks. He has a choice to go play with an ex linemate in Andy and a buddy in Paul. He has an option outside of the Ducks. Blues have a little more cap space as well...

If he were to return of course.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 04:47 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Assuming Selanne wants to come back to the Ducks. He has a choice to go play with an ex linemate in Andy and a buddy in Paul. He has an option outside of the Ducks.

For the 700th time, Selanne has said again and again that he'll only play for Anaheim at this point in his career. Also, like I said, what motivation does he have to go to St.Louis other than some buddies? If that were the case, Forsberg would've been a Canuck or Red Wing a long time ago. And he just had a baby girl. So, it makes perfect sense for him to go play hockey in a city nearly 2000 miles away.

Old
12-15-2007, 04:51 AM
PeterAngelo
In Elliott We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksforcup View Post
They never really played together. When Kariya has here, Mac honestly played on the 3rd line on most nights. During the 2005-2006 season, Mac had a breakout season. Before that though, he really didn't score a lot.
really? not doubting your view, because clearly you would have seen much more Ducks hockey than me but I have 3 ducks games from 01-02 on tape and kariya and mcdonald are playing together in all of them, and 1 from 02-03. i know Oates arrived and Kariya and Sykora were playing with him but I thought prior to that Kariya and McDonald were playing together? guess not

PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 04:51 AM
Randall Graves*

The big picture here is Someone had to be traded to sign Corey Perry. I personally think the defense is overkill, you don't need 4 top pairing defensemen but at the same time if you don't know what Niedermayer will do it's not a good idea to trade Schneider. Once we know what Niedermayer will do it will either allow the team to trade a D for another center in the off-season or free up more cash to sign somebody.

I am not a big fan of this trade for the simple fact I think it could damage Selanne returning, big picture? not much problem, Andy is better than what he's shown this year and i'm sure he'll show everyone now that he'll play with players suited to his skill.

However I am not surprised at the usual suspects trashing any trade/move Burke makes but we won't know how good or bad it is until the end of the year. Either way the move was made to sign a guy who is going to be apart of the core for several years, so I understand the trade while not really liking the return.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 04:54 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Assuming Selanne wants to come back to the Ducks. He has a choice to go play with an ex linemate in Andy and a buddy in Paul. He has an option outside of the Ducks. Blues have a little more cap space as well...

Never gonna happen.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 04:58 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
LMAO

Burke strengthing the weak NHL franchises CHEAPLY

first PHx now ST lou
and by helping them get points he could gain a better pick with the oiler pick

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 05:08 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

Well , I think it's very clear that Selanne won't return , or at least won't return to the Ducks . Mcdonald is an awesome player with Selanne on his wing , but can't find a way to communicate with Bertuzzi . Mcdonald is just to fast for Bertuzzi , so Weight could be a nice centre for Todd to regain his form (because he is slow enough and he will keep up with him)
So in my opinion

Kunitz-Getzlaf-Perry is the first line and
Burke will have to find a left winger to play with Weight and Bertuzzi , probably at deadline

And Burke made an intelligent move considering that Mcdonald without Selanne is producing at the same rate as Weight .
So:

Mcdonald=Weight with the mention , Weight is a UFA next year and the Ducks will be able to resing Perry

Ohh , what a genious move by Burke.

If Weight and Bertuzzi can click , Anaheim will be the winner of this trade

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 05:59 AM
Michael Scofield

Quote:

he has buddies in Anaheim too you know