HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CONFIRMED: [STL-ANA] Doug Weight, Michal Birner, 7th in '08 for Andy McDonald

Old
12-15-2007, 07:02 AM
Michael Scofield

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmyn View Post
Well , I think it's very clear that Selanne won't return , or at least won't return to the Ducks . Mcdonald is an awesome player with Selanne on his wing , but can't find a way to communicate with Bertuzzi . Mcdonald is just to fast for Bertuzzi , so Weight could be a nice centre for Todd to regain his form (because he is slow enough and he will keep up with him)
So in my opinion

Kunitz-Getzlaf-Perry is the first line and
Burke will have to find a left winger to play with Weight and Bertuzzi , probably at deadline

And Burke made an intelligent move considering that Mcdonald without Selanne is producing at the same rate as Weight .
So:

Mcdonald=Weight with the mention , Weight is a UFA next year and the Ducks will be able to resing Perry

Ohh , what a genious move by Burke.

If Weight and Bertuzzi can click , Anaheim will be the winner of this trade
how do you figure that?

i agree with everything else you said though

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canuck Duck View Post
how do you figure that?
Why would Burke trade Mcdonald when Andy makes such a great couple with Selanne ? I don't see any reason in this . Salary dump ? I don't think so , Burke could have kept Mcdonald this season , and afterwards he could have traded him for a pick
Apparently, Burke spoke with Selanne and he didn't received good news. Selanne isn't determined to return . And Mcdonald without Selanne is useless , because he can't click with Bertuzzi . Bertuzzi needs a centre with good passes but more slow , like Weight
This is my version , if this is not the reason Burke have done this trade, I retract all the good thinks that I've said about Burke and he's not a genius anymore

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 08:44 AM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBanks8 View Post
This story wasnt broken by Ericnut is was broken by a poster by the name of jediuia on the Ducks main board. She's legit, called a couple other things too.

http://forums.anaheimducks.com/index...owtopic=360342

Ericnuts 5 Owned!

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 09:43 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'm torn here...the Blues are a team the Preds play 8 times a year, and have gotten better in this deal...

...on the other hand, it's pleasing to see the Ducks make such a downgrade, and watch people try to spin the "no, Burke is STILL a genius...cause...cause...it's like he's trading McDonald for Weight...AND Niedermayer...AND Selanne...AND Perry...and...and...and...."

While I understand the philosophy behind the trade, I refuse to believe there wasn't a better deal than the still-expensive and clearly-lost-several-steps Doug Weight.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
5 bucks says McDonald is out indefinitely with PCS by the end of January.
You're on. I'll let you know where to send your $5 on January 31.

12-15-2007, 10:30 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Bertuzzi needs a centre with good passes but more slow , like Weight
I very much disagree with this assessment of Bertuzzi.
Bertuzzi is not a sniper that can rip 1-timers from anywhere. He is a lumbering mamoth that needs to sit his massive behind in front of the net and collect the garbage to collect his goals. He is exactly like Keith Tkachuk in that regards; and it's not a detracction from either of them.

Having said that; Doug Weight NEEDS a "sniper that can rip 1-timers from anywhere" to be effective. Furthermore; when the Blues tried putting Weight and Tkachuk together, the two failed miserably. The two had absolutely no chemistry together and both of their production suffered from that matchup.

IMo putting Weight and Bertuzzi together will be no more effective than putting Weight and Tkachuk together was. I don't see the two having any chemistry together. They will need a pure sniper(a "Naslund" type) to bridge the gap between their styles of play; and I don't see anybody on the Ducks who can fill that role at the moment.

kimzey59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
I don't see anybody on the Ducks who can fill that role at the moment.
Enter Teemu Selanne. I think that he'll back just like Scott Niedermayer.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Here are the four big reasons Anaheim made this deal and why it makes a lot of sense for the Ducks:

1. The most obvious - the Weight-McDonald trade immediately allows Scott Niedermayer to return to the Ducks lineup. He will play Sunday vs. San Jose.

2. Ryan Getzlaf has emerged as the Ducks' No. 1 centre and has the contract - $5.6 million next season - to prove it. McDonald, earning $3.33 million next season, is overpriced as a No. 2 centre on the Ducks. He simply doesn't fit the Ducks' salary cap matrix.

3. By freeing up about $2.5 million in salary commitments for next season, and with Niedermayer not expected to play next season and his $6.75 million potentially coming off the books, the Ducks should have plenty of room to do a long-term deal with Corey Perry long before he becomes a restricted free agent on July 1. This is crucial, perhaps the biggest reason this McDonald deal was done.

4. By not trading a defenceman who is under contract next season, the Ducks will be able to return their entire defence corps, likely minus Niedermayer. If they traded Schneider or O'Donnell, and as expected Niedermayer retires, they would have been scrambling to plug an extra hole.

Source: Bob McKenzie's blog

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 11:44 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
I was never a fan of MacDonald--I have always liked Weight

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:02 PM
The Overseer*

For all the people that think this cleared up enough room for Burke to re-sign Perry:

What do you think Perry will sign for?
How does that fit under the Ducks cap for next year (about 2.5M in room)?

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:30 PM
broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsson Schmilsson View Post
For all the people that think this cleared up enough room for Burke to re-sign Perry:

Maybe he'll convince Perry to sign a cheap one year deal. Once Bertuzzi is off the books, he'll get rewarded with the contract he deserves.

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:33 PM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

Quote:

He doesn't at this point but once Scott Niedermayer's contract is off the books, the Ducks will have plenty of room to get Perry under contract before July 1st.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:

You won't get it, easily.....

Scott Neidermayer will likely retire after this season and his $6.75 million would be off the books. $6.75 + $2.5 million eqauls on signing Perry and Beauchemin!!

Old
12-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Well , I think it's very clear that Selanne won't return , or at least won't return to the Ducks . Mcdonald is an awesome player with Selanne on his wing , but can't find a way to communicate with Bertuzzi . Mcdonald is just to fast for Bertuzzi , so Weight could be a nice centre for Todd to regain his form (because he is slow enough and he will keep up with him)
So in my opinion

Kunitz-Getzlaf-Perry is the first line and
Burke will have to find a left winger to play with Weight and Bertuzzi , probably at deadline

And Burke made an intelligent move considering that Mcdonald without Selanne is producing at the same rate as Weight .
So:

Mcdonald=Weight with the mention , Weight is a UFA next year and the Ducks will be able to resing Perry

Ohh , what a genious move by Burke.

If Weight and Bertuzzi can click , Anaheim will be the winner of this trade

Boy is there ever a lot of miss info being spewed in this tread.

While Weight has had 11 points in 29 games, 5 of those points came in the last 3 games. (So reality is that he scored 6 points in 26 games). Further the reason Weight has started to put up point is because - HE IS PLAYING w/ BOYES AND PK and has been for about the last 5-10 games. His play has been at best inconsistent and for a good chunk of the year, very poor. He is at a point in his carear where he CAN NOT make his linemates better.

Finally, Weight was on his way out in St. Louis. Based on what JD has said, he wasn't in the plans for the team next year.

Birner was slated to be a 3rd liner in the NHL. But he is quite a ways down on the prospect list and there really is no room on him w/ the big team - w/ Oshie and Berglund looking to step in next season and Drazenovic and Lemtyugov have both already passed him and would have been the next two called up if an injury occured to a forward this season. I don't know that he will ever make the Ducks - also on an interesting note, he had asked the Blues mgt for a trade (again, chances of him making the Blues were limited).

The 7th round pick, well that is quite a loss.

At this point, McDonald is better then Weight. He fits into what the Blues are looking twords next year and gives us a top 2 line center. Something we needed this year and next. Who will he play with, I am not sure, but it could be w/ PK and Boyes or it could be w/ Perron and Backes. (He may work well w/ Perron who reminds me a lot of Selanne).

Also - I don't think this means that Selanne is coming to St. Louis.

The best player in the deal is McDonald at this point in both players carears. So, with that said, I am quite happy the Blues made the trade.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Oil13 View Post

Scott Neidermayer will likely retire after this season and his $6.75 million would be off the books. $6.75 + $2.5 million eqauls on signing Perry and Beauchemin!!
Who is Scott Neidermayer? I only know Scott Niedermayer. Sorry, big pet peeve of mine.

Signing Beauchemin? He's under contract for 2008/2009. Perry will likely sign an extension in the Geztlaf price range.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 12:51 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
imagine selanne returned to the blue and formed a Kariya - McDonald - Selanne line man that would be some speed wow!!!

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Rotang

Love this deal for the Blues.

It gives their second line another dynamic and I think playing with AndyMac will pull Lee Stempniak right back up to the level of play he needs to be at.

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 01:12 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I'm torn here...the Blues are a team the Preds play 8 times a year, and have gotten better in this deal...

...on the other hand, it's pleasing to see the Ducks make such a downgrade, and watch people try to spin the "no, Burke is STILL a genius...cause...cause...it's like he's trading McDonald for Weight...AND Niedermayer...AND Selanne...AND Perry...and...and...and...."

While I understand the philosophy behind the trade, I refuse to believe there wasn't a better deal than the still-expensive and clearly-lost-several-steps Doug Weight.
they had to get rid of somebody. They wanted to keep their D together, so they had to get rid of AM.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Andy McDonald can't make 3.3 million as their #2 center... it doesn't fit with the players they have locked up. Also, Weight is a gamer. When the playoffs come along, the Ducks have a trooper and Burke could not ask for anything more then another cup.

We want cup... ah (I remember that chant)

gotcrowdy.com
Crowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 02:34 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
I very much disagree with this assessment of Bertuzzi.
Bertuzzi is not a sniper that can rip 1-timers from anywhere. He is a lumbering mamoth that needs to sit his massive behind in front of the net and collect the garbage to collect his goals. He is exactly like Keith Tkachuk in that regards; and it's not a detracction from either of them.

Having said that; Doug Weight NEEDS a "sniper that can rip 1-timers from anywhere" to be effective. Furthermore; when the Blues tried putting Weight and Tkachuk together, the two failed miserably. The two had absolutely no chemistry together and both of their production suffered from that matchup.

IMo putting Weight and Bertuzzi together will be no more effective than putting Weight and Tkachuk together was. I don't see the two having any chemistry together. They will need a pure sniper(a "Naslund" type) to bridge the gap between their styles of play; and I don't see anybody on the Ducks who can fill that role at the moment.
This is right on the money. All the money that we tied up in these two players, and they had no chemistry at all. The said part was that we couldn't get the pieces around them to work very well either. Dougie always seem to work well with Marty Rucinsky....Do you want to make another deal?

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Coins

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
It helps long-term in the sense that Corey Perry can get signed, and they have cap space for next season. It's been over two years since the salary cap came in, yet people still can't figure out that cap space is a very important asset yet.

Haha, this reminds me of when Eklund had Selanne most likely to St.Louis for the longest time till Burke scooped him up.

Anyway, you begin to wonder how credible Andy Strickland is. Strickland, earlier in the week, reported that there was no trade happening in St.Louis, despite the fact that this deal has been done for days, and everyone was waiting on Weight to waive his NTC. I know the guy's connected, but how you miss that, I don't know. Also, Strickland bases Selanne to the Blues on absolutely nothing, other than Paul Kariya talks to him. He even says IF Selanne wants to play in St.Louis, they'll make it happen. Selanne just had a baby girl, so there literally is no chance of him playing elsewhere. He's not going to go play hockey in freaking St.Louis and be away from his newborn just because he has some friends on the team. He doesn't have much motivation to come back, and he would have no motivation to go play in St.Louis or any other city. He's a Duck for life. It's also not like Anaheim can't accomodate his financial wants, either. He's also said repeatedly that if he does come back, it's for Anaheim.

Why people continue to think he'll go play for other teams, I don't know. First he was going to Montreal because Koivu's there. Then it was Philly because of Timonen and Kapanen. Now it's St.Louis because of Kariya and McDonald. Any parent will know that he's not going to go play hockey in another part of the country when his daughter was just born. The Ducks most certainly want him back, so if he wants to come back, he'll be welcomed back with open arms. If not, then that's just the way she goes, and he stays retired.
Strickland reported no trade because initially Weight did not want to play for the Ducks and told the Blues he would not waive his no trade clause to do so. The Blues had another talk with Weight and then he reluctantly agreed to the trade. Strickland didnt miss anything, was just going by Weight's initial reaction of "No way do I play for the Ducks".

Coins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 02:42 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Oil13 View Post

So, this trade has absolutely nothing to do with signing Perry. Perry's signing revolves exclusively around Neidermayer's retirement, which, as we have seen, is far from a sure bet.

You Duck fans sure like to count your chickens before they are hatched.

Let me add:

Even if what you are saying does, in fact, happen, the Ducks next year are worse off than they are now -- a barely .500, non-playoff team.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Quote:
So, this trade has absolutely nothing to do with signing Perry. Perry's signing revolves exclusively around Neidermayer's retirement, which, as we have seen, is far from a sure bet.

Let me add:

Even if what you are saying does, in fact, happen, the Ducks next year are worse off than they are now -- a barely .500, non-playoff team.
More of an optimistic point of view.

Crowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 03:04 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coins View Post
Strickland reported no trade because initially Weight did not want to play for the Ducks and told the Blues he would not waive his no trade clause to do so. The Blues had another talk with Weight and then he reluctantly agreed to the trade. Strickland didnt miss anything, was just going by Weight's initial reaction of "No way do I play for the Ducks".
Andy Strickland's credibility was shot long before this debacle.
Lest I remind everyone of his comments regarding Peter Cajanek.

kimzey59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:

Let me add:

Are you saying that I'm a Ducks fan? (Since you quoted me)

For your kind information, I'm an Oilers fan (which you can tell by me name)