HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CONFIRMED: [STL-ANA] Doug Weight, Michal Birner, 7th in '08 for Andy McDonald

Old
12-15-2007, 03:14 PM
The Overseer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Oil13 View Post
Are you saying that I'm a Ducks fan? (Since you quoted me)

For your kind information, I'm an Oilers fan (which you can tell by me name)
More of a general reference to all the "Now we can sign Perry!!!" folks.

As for you being an Oilers fan, my condolences.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
The only real thing I'll slightly take issue with above is the, "O'Brien landed a 1st round pick" remark. While it's true that Shane O'Brien and a 3rd landed Gerald Coleman and a 1st, Burke didn't make that move with the intent of having a 1st round pick at the draft - it was to be able to "get into the game" as he put it since the asking price for guys started with "a prospect and a 1st." Without a 1st round pick [his was already in Edmonton], he couldn't really bid on guys. In the end he still had the 1st and the Ducks went on to win the Cup, but his original plan wasn't, "... and get a 1st round pick so I can get a good player at the Draft."
I fully know why Burke moved O'Brien for the pick. I was simply stating that it really wasn't bad value at all.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Diggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsson Schmilsson View Post
So, this trade has absolutely nothing to do with signing Perry. Perry's signing revolves exclusively around Neidermayer's retirement, which, as we have seen, is far from a sure bet.
You are absolutely right, having $3.33 less on the books next year will definitely not change how or when the Ducks sign their UFAs.

Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Michael Scofield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Andy McDonald can't make 3.3 million as their #2 center... it doesn't fit with the players they have locked up. Also, Weight is a gamer. When the playoffs come along, the Ducks have a trooper and Burke could not ask for anything more then another cup.

We want cup... ah (I remember that chant)
haha same here at the honda what an atmosphere dude!!!

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canuck Duck View Post
haha same here at the honda what an atmosphere dude!!!
Best feeling in my life.

gotcrowdy.com
Crowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Qubax

Honestly, good deal both ways. Burke needed salary cleared next year not this year...

Now IF Teemu comes back, then he'll need some more this year...

but the Ducks have to be Stanley Cup Favs now...

They have as a good a chance as any to repeat...

Ducks, Wings, Sens

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 08:46 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel View Post
You are absolutely right, having $3.33 less on the books next year will definitely not change how or when the Ducks sign their UFAs.
1) If Neidermayer retires, you can (maybe) sign Perry.
2) If Neidermayer returns, you can't sign Perry (unless you gut your team elsewhere).

Hence, Perry's signing revolves around Neidermayer's retirement. What's the issue?

Old
12-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
2) If Neidermayer returns, you can't sign Perry (unless you gut your team elsewhere).

Hence, Perry's signing revolves around Neidermayer's retirement. What's the issue?
Or, if Niedermayer returns, Burke trades Mathieu Schneider. Considering the defense is still quite good, it's hardly "gutting the team". Considering Schneider's deal will be expiring, and he's still a top-pairing defenseman, Burke will also probably get pretty good value for him.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Or, if Niedermayer returns, Burke trades Mathieu Schneider. Considering the defense is still quite good, it's hardly "gutting the team". Considering Schneider's deal will be expiring, and he's still a top-pairing defenseman, Burke will also probably get pretty good value for him.
Like he got good value for Bryzgalov and Andy McDonald?

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 10:23 PM
HankTheTank

Well this is the 3rd move by Burke that I thought was poor (Bryz and Bertuzzi) but .... I was going on the assumption that it was "understood" that Niedermayer would be coming back mid-way through the year ... but maybe it wasn't, otherwise I don't see how the heck the Schneider signing makes sense given the dominos that have fallen since.

HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Diggy

Quote:

It is just not that simple. The fact that the Ducks no longer have $3.33M on the books for next year will help them sign their RFAs including Perry. The Niedermayer/Schneider double contract from Niedermayer's delay/pending retirement after this season is also a big factor, but you can not ignore that having $3.33M more open space on the books will help also...especially when Perry will be somewhere around $4-4.5M, which is about a $3.33-3.83M raise.

Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 01:41 AM
BigBearnier

it'll be interesting to see if this next off season, teams try and screw anahiem over with the lack of cap space...

a big rfa offer sheet for perry could be bad news for the ducks, that's for sure.. Burke'll go balistic.

Plus, Perry would actually be worth the big contract, as a posed to penner...

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 02:18 AM
oilerfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
but the Ducks have to be Stanley Cup Favs now...
The Wings and Sens are still the favorites this year. The Ducks have one hell of a defense, but they are still behind the 8-ball in the forward positions. They downgraded from Penner to Bertuzzi, they (really) downgraded from McDonald to Weight, and it is far from certain that Selanne returns. McDonald got the Conn Smythe stolen from him last year IMO, and had some great chemistry with Selanne. The defense alone is good enough to assure a playoff spot, but the forward corps is a big question mark for a Stanley Cup repeat.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 03:28 AM
in on the beat

I like this trade alot. Burke knows what hes doing. And you can't blame the blues for getting Andy McDonald to center Paul Kariya and Brad Boyes.

5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 04:01 AM
OlliMackBjugStud

i think it was a good hockey deal for both teams...

very interesting trade.

OlliMackBjugStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 04:23 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Like he got good value for Bryzgalov and Andy McDonald?
He got nothing for Bryz because there was probably 1 team willing to give up anything for him. In Mac's case, he could've easily dealt Hnidy and May, but didn't want to make the team worse, and the only way to keep the team at the same level and still trade Mac's salary would be to get a $3+ million center whose contract is expiring. There aren't a plethora of these players in the league. Also, if Mac was playing good I bet he either doesn't get dealt or gets a lot better. Unfortunately, as you saw, he's more than struggled in Anaheim.

If Schneider plays at a high level this season, which he has, there are going to be plenty of teams after him to try and get a top-pairing guy for a bit of a bargain. Considering Burke likely needs to trade Schneider, a 2nd rounder would be good value for him, and I could easily see the Hawks make that move. This is all a moot point anyway, as Nieds likely isn't coming back, so the money will be there to sign Perry.

Old
12-16-2007, 04:48 AM
Pepper

Quote:
I know. That's what I said originally, before your buddy Pepper started chirping about bonuses.

I think St. Louis is a better situation for Selanne anyway. I think he'll sign there, if he wants to play.
Pay attention, you asked what this trade has to do with Selanne's signing and I gave you an example why it COULD influence Selanne's signing.

I didn't say Ducks SHOULD give Selanne a bonus-laden contract.

Learn to read.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

I can guarantee you Perry is signed before the end of the year.

Crowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 06:37 PM
voxel

Phoenix has been smoking hot last two games (Devils + Rangers) and Andy McDonald just scored a wicked goal.

I suspect Phoenix will finish ahead of the Ducks considering how poorly the latter have played for most of the season. Getting in the playoffs is a dogfight in the west.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
The Wings and Sens are still the favorites this year. The Ducks have one hell of a defense, but they are still behind the 8-ball in the forward positions. They downgraded from Penner to Bertuzzi, they (really) downgraded from McDonald to Weight, and it is far from certain that Selanne returns. McDonald got the Conn Smythe stolen from him last year IMO, and had some great chemistry with Selanne. The defense alone is good enough to assure a playoff spot, but the forward corps is a big question mark for a Stanley Cup repeat.
Heh. I like how Burke threw McDonald under the bus during his mid-game press conference. "Yes, well, Getzlaf really established himself as the true #1 center for this hockey club during the playoffs, blahblahblah."

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Heh. I like how Burke threw McDonald under the bus during his mid-game press conference. "Yes, well, Getzlaf really established himself as the true #1 center for this hockey club during the playoffs, blahblahblah."
It's kind of true. Getzlaf just turned 22 in that playoff run and was an absolute monster, and played right up there with Mac, if not better. Then this season it became 100% apparent that Getz was the top line center.

Old
12-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Irish Blues

Weight finally had been playing better in the last 6 games or so - but for the first 20+ games, he was absolute crap. He made himself expendable with his start, and the Blues made it clear he was done one way or another with the team. If he continues to play well going forward, the Ducks have more experience for the drive to defend and get Niedermayer back to help with that drive.

It was a trade that served the purpose of both teams: both teams got what they wanted, the Ducks get a prospect who has 3rd line potential [nothing more] and the proverbial 7th round pick to even things out. There won't be an immediate winner in this until the playoffs are over: if Anaheim wins the Cup, it's pretty clear who "wins" this trade. Otherwise, Birner is going to have to develop to at least his potential or that 7th round pick is going to have to be a home run pick to make this look even halfway good to the average fan.

12-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Irish Blues

Weight finally had been playing better in the last 6 games or so - but for the first 20+ games, he was absolute crap. He made himself expendable with his start, and the Blues made it clear he was done one way or another with the team. If he continues to play well going forward, the Ducks have a good center with more experience for the drive to defend and get Niedermayer back to help with that drive.

It was a trade that served the purpose of both teams: both teams got what they wanted, the Ducks get a prospect who has 3rd line potential [nothing more] and the proverbial 7th round pick to even things out. There won't be an immediate winner in this until the playoffs are over: if Anaheim wins the Cup, it's pretty clear who "wins" this trade. Otherwise, Birner is going to have to develop to at least his potential or that 7th round pick is going to have to be a home run pick to make this look even halfway good to the average fan.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 11:11 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
For how much, do you figure?

Old
12-17-2007, 11:35 PM
BigBearnier

Quote:
he better be, or else he'll get a nice fat contract from some team with a lot of cap space...

and I'd hate to break up Perry/Getzlaf

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote