HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First Pick Up Game

Old
12-16-2007, 11:12 PM
waterblast02

vCash: 500
First Pick Up Game

Hi. I just started ice skating and playing some hockey this summer. Been going to stick times quite a bit just working on all the basic skills and messing around with the scrimmages that occur in them.

I was wondering just what to expect at a pick up game at my local rink. I know during the stick time scrimmages, everyone was willing to help me and others out since we werent the most skilled players. Is it typically the same when playing pick up, but just a little more competitive? This would be my first time to actually play a position. I have an idea of the roles since ive watched many games, but just lack the actual experience of staying in position.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

waterblast02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
I've always had great experiences at the pick-up games I've been to (both roller and ice). Everyone was very nice, and nobody is going to get mad at you or anything like that if you fumble a play or can't keep up with the better players. Pick-up is designed so everyone can practice their game in a low-pressure environment.

It's going to depend on your attitude and that of those you play with, but I'm fairly certain you'll have a blast and become addicted.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 12:34 AM
lotus

You'll have a good time. Don't get intimidated by the guy who tries to toe drag all 5 people, then everyone on the bench, and then lacrosse shoot it off a passing helicopter and into the net all while doing the safety dance (dun dun dundun dun dun dun dundun dun dun dundun dun dun dun dundun). Just watch him and learn his moves, and then shut him up!

Other than 'that guy' who is always there, it's a great time.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 02:20 AM
RobertKron

It obviously depends group to group, but it should be fine. Pick up is usually pretty low key. I played last night for maybe the third time in 3 years, and made a horrible play, overskating a puck with nobody on me at my own blueline leading to a goal against, and the only guy who said anything was me swearing at myself. Everyone else just said "no worries" and that was that. It's not like anyone is actually keeping score.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 02:21 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
You'll have a good time. Don't get intimidated by the guy who tries to toe drag all 5 people, then everyone on the bench, and then lacrosse shoot it off a passing helicopter and into the net all while doing the safety dance (dun dun dundun dun dun dun dundun dun dun dundun dun dun dun dundun). Just watch him and learn his moves, and then shut him up!

Other than 'that guy' who is always there, it's a great time.
Hah. Don't forget that he hasn't come back across his own redline the entire time, and has been on the ice for 10 minutes.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote