Notices

Thasher draft record revisited

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2004, 06:41 PM
Thrasherfan

vCash: 500
Thasher draft record revisited

Well, another year has passed without a major contribution from a player drafted from rounds 2-7 in any of the Thrasher's first 5 drafts. That's close to 30 players that Atlanta has drafted that have failed to step in and play for this team. Outside of the no brainer selections of Heatly, Kovy, Stefan and Lehtonen, and late round steal XLB, Atlanta has not been able to identify young talent that can play at the NHL level.

Who should shoulder the blame for this? Scouting? Minor league coaching? Drafting stategy that has targetted college players and Europeans? If this team wants to take the next step to get into the playoffs, they will need to develop some players and get some depth. You can't build a winner through trades, college signings and waiver pick-ups. This team has some serious building blocks for a winner, but without some drafted players being able to step onto lines 2/3 and some defensemen, they won't threaten for playoff spot.

This has started to become a bit of a pet peeve with me.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Heater15

I have to agree, look at teams like Detroit and New Jersey stealing players in the late rounds. Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Paul Martin, etc.

Old
04-04-2004, 11:05 PM
ATLThrashers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasherfan
Well, another year has passed without a major contribution from a player drafted from rounds 2-7 in any of the Thrasher's first 5 drafts...
Yea, Nurminen was no use of such a mid round pick! Damn he sucks so bad! How about Hordichuk? We turned him into Marc Savard pretty much and wow, he sure does suck too! And Michael Garnett is looking to be a VERY big asset for the team. He is continuing his devlopment and is looking like he has a shot at being a very good goalie, and with Lehtonen, one we could trade for help elsewhere. Look at any other team and show me a few team thats gotton more than that out of rounds 2-7 than the Thrashers have? I think if you look around the league, some are lower, some are higher, but they average out to be right around there.

Last edited by ATLThrashers15: 04-04-2004 at 11:10 PM.
Old
04-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Dupuis>Ilya

Still a bit too early to judge anything completely other than our first class. We got Stefan and Exelby out of that group. Santala and Blatny should be no worse than servicable callups, possibly turning into decent third/fourth-line types. Same for MacKenzie.

Like ATLThrashers15 said, I think we've done an average job drafting. Couple that with our home run first-round picks and I think we've got a solid foundation to build upon.

Old
04-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Qubax

With Coburn, Lehtonen, Heatley and Kovalchuk as mainstays at each position your team has done well

and maybe that is because you drafted high who cares?

I mean really....you can deal a second or third round pick from year to year to attain players such as Bob Boughner.....players that are great for the playoffs and legit top 4 D-men...

I wouldn't expect to much out of your lower picks and I also wouldn't expect them to pan out necessarily so quickly either...

Coburn is going to be a Top 5 D....

Lehtonen could be the best goalie in the game

Heatley and Kovalchuk will both be Top 5 forwards...

Just in those 4 bodies your leaps and bounds ahead of most teams...and I can't name a team that is as well off...

Old
04-05-2004, 03:46 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLThrashers15
Look at any other team and show me a few team thats gotton more than that out of rounds 2-7 than the Thrashers have? I think if you look around the league, some are lower, some are higher, but they average out to be right around there.
Well let's see:

- Ottawa
- New Jersey
- Detroit
- Colorado
- Minnesota

Old
04-05-2004, 08:57 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

It is only 5 years since the 1999 draft. Hard to judge anything from 2000 on right now. I would make the case that many of our recent picks are doing quite well in the juniors or in college.

It is very rare to get such production from early draft picks as the Thrashers have. We should be happy for that, instead of asking so much from our later round picks.

Last edited by btn: 04-05-2004 at 09:01 AM.
Closed Thread