HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kiprusoff's GAA

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2004, 07:17 PM
mole

vCash: 500
Kiprusoff's GAA

I see Kipper finished with a 1.70 GAA in 38 starts. How does this put him against the GAA record set by Turco last year (1.72, 55 starts) ?

Does Kipper have the new record or has he played too few games to be statistically considered?

edit: Oops, 55 starts, not 71.

Last edited by mole: 04-05-2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old
04-04-2004, 08:29 PM
rye&ginger

He has the new record. Calgary isnt a popular USA team or even a popular Canadian team with the media so none of them ever brought it up.

Old
04-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole
I see Kipper finished with a 1.70 GAA in 38 starts. How does this put him against the GAA record set by Turco last year (1.72, 71 starts) ?

Does Kipper have the new record or has he played too few games to be statistically considered?
I believe you only have to play 25 games as a goalie to be eligible for a record, which is kind of sad, but thats beside the point. What really gets me is how they basically 'chickened' out today by not playing Kiprusoff in their final game . This is especially annoying because of the fact that Turco had to actually earn the record by playing and playing well in the last game of the season. If I remember correctly, he had to give up 1 or less goals, and he earned a shutout.

Old
04-04-2004, 08:33 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

I find it pretty weird that 38 games is considered enough to make Kipper's 1.69GAA a new record... on some teams, 38 games is the number of games the back-up goalie will get. I don't have anything against Kipper though and he deserves some credit for this break-out "season".

Old
04-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Michalek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsfan09
I believe you only have to play 25 games as a goalie to be eligible for a record, which is kind of sad, but thats beside the point. What really gets me is how they basically 'chickened' out today by not playing Kiprusoff in their final game . This is especially annoying because of the fact that Turco had to actually earn the record by playing and playing well in the last game of the season. If I remember correctly, he had to give up 1 or less goals, and he earned a shutout.
Flames played Turek because tey wanted him to set record as well. Turek went almoust 3 games with out allowing a goal ( entire PHX game , entire Blues game and 2/3 today) and this way he set the Flames record for most minutes with out a goal . Surely good confidence boost for him. Looks like CGY goalies are on fire in setting the records, what is the Play offs SO record again?

Old
04-04-2004, 09:08 PM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
He has the new record. Calgary isnt a popular USA team or even a popular Canadian team with the media so none of them ever brought it up.
Or maybe it's because he played in less than half of his team's games. Just a thought.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Cain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie
Or maybe it's because he played in less than half of his team's games. Just a thought.
Turco played what, 55 games for his record? Compared to Kipper's 38/39 (not sure which)?

That is not such a huge difference...He would have played those had he not gotten INJURED, its not as if the flames restricted his playing time so he could get a record.

And I highly doubt that Sutter would elect not to play Kipprusof for the sole reason of maintaining a record...Kipper wanted to play, but Sutter wanted him rested for the playoffs...Not really a conspiracy to take away Turco's feat.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:15 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Bitter are we? Turco only played in 55 games when he got the record....

Anyway, congrats to Kiprusoff.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
Bitter are we? Turco only played in 55 games when he got the record....

Anyway, congrats to Kiprusoff.
55 games is right at 2/3 of a season...Kiprusoff has played in LESS than 1/2 of a season(39 games)...that is a 17 game difference....thats quite significant, IMO.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Cain

Quote:
55 games is right at 2/3 of a season...Kiprusoff has played in LESS than 1/2 of a season(39 games)...that is a 17 game difference....thats quite significant, IMO.
16 games actually.

Hard to say that a 39 game stint is a 'fluke' or undeserving though...55 games is great, but I wager that Kiprusoff would have kept up the level he was playing at.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Yes, what chickened move... it had nothing to do with resting their starting goalie for the playoffs in a meaningless game.

Old
04-04-2004, 11:34 PM
icarus

Quote:
Well since everyone would say Kiprusoff is a better goalie than Turek (and some even consider Turek to be on the 'worst goalies in the league' list), Kiprusoff logically would have allowed fewer than the two goals that Turek let in today. Even if had allowed the same two that Turek had, he still would have beaten Turco.

Old
04-04-2004, 11:45 PM
Habsfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
16 games actually.

Hard to say that a 39 game stint is a 'fluke' or undeserving though...55 games is great, but I wager that Kiprusoff would have kept up the level he was playing at.
Not likely. Kiprusoff's GAA was 1.48 when he got injured. He came back after the All Star game and it has rised to 1.70 since then. Odds are he wouldn't have set the record if he played 16 more games. Of course, maybe he would have done even better if he hadn't missed so much time. Either way, a 1.7 GAA over almost half a season is phenomenal.

Old
04-05-2004, 12:59 AM
Blackjack

Last year Brodeur played 18 more games than Turco en route to a Vezina he earned with inferior statistics. At the time, Stars fans didn't seem to think that the 18 gp difference was signifigant. Now they will turn around and say that the 16 gp difference between Turco and Kiprusoff is signifigant.

I say both are signifigant. Over the first half of this season Martin Brodeur had 10 shutouts. He finished with 11. It's rediculous to assume that any player would've simply maintained a torrid pace if they had played twice as many games.

Old
04-05-2004, 08:42 AM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack
I say both are signifigant. Over the first half of this season Martin Brodeur had 10 shutouts. He finished with 11. It's rediculous to assume that any player would've simply maintained a torrid pace if they had played twice as many games.

Old
04-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:

The point is moot,Kipper had 3 of his 4 shutouts since coming back from injury so he also "could have" got 5-6 more if he didn't miss those games.

Old
04-05-2004, 11:33 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Well he was likely only going to play one of the last two games and he did, letting in only 2 goals and preserving the record.

Old
04-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
Last year Brodeur played 18 more games than Turco en route to a Vezina he earned with inferior statistics. At the time, Stars fans didn't seem to think that the 18 gp difference was signifigant. Now they will turn around and say that the 16 gp difference between Turco and Kiprusoff is signifigant.

The difference is that last year Turco played 55 games, where as Kiprusoff has only played 39 games this season...there's some backups that play almost that much. Had Kiprusoff played 50+ games, I wouldnt have a problem at all with him getting this record, and would probably even put him in my top 3 for the Vezina/Hart.

Closed Thread