HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Hwy 40 Contruction Decrease Attendance?

View Poll Results: Will Hwy 40 construction deter you from attending Blues games?
Yes, it will greatly deter me. 3 14.29%
Yes, it will somewhat or slightly deter me. 1 4.76%
No, I'll continue going to Blues games as normal. 10 47.62%
No, but I don't live in St. Louis, anyway, so I shouldn't be answering this poll. 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-17-2007, 11:58 AM
concept*

vCash: 500
Will Hwy 40 Contruction Decrease Attendance?

Almost every organization in St. Louis that relies on attendance, particularly those along Hwy 40, are expecting a rather large decrease due to the construction. I heard from a colleague that the St. Louis Zoo, for instance, is expecting a 60% decrease in attendance.

What effect do you think it will have on the Blues' attendance and, likewise, the team's budget? If attendance decreases even 20%, we might see a drastic decrease in the budget, limiting us to those cheap rookies we've signed instead of investing in proven veterans.

I'd also like to open this discussion to the construction's effect on recruiting those valuable veterans. Many of the Blues live in Creve Coeur, Chesterfield, and Town & Country, which means they're going to be drastically affected by the construction, too. Unless they start buying lofts, that's a long ways away from a game, and they're still a ways from the Mills.

In addition, as the poll states, if you live in St. Louis, are you going to continue going to Blues games as you have before? Or will you cut down?

Thoughts?

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

no effect. people will just need to leave earlier for the game. there are plenty of ways to get to downtown...not just 40/64. I rely of 40 for everything (being in Ellisville) and will find alternate routes.

Last edited by Stealth JD: 12-17-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 03:13 PM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain View Post
no effect. people will just need to leave earlier for the game. there are plenty of ways to get to downtown...not just 40/64. I rely of 40 for everything (being in Ellisville) and will find alternate routes.
I'm in Ellisville as well, but I generally rely on I-44 to get to & from downtown. I also have the good fortune to work downtown, so I don't have a commute to worry about for weeknight games...on Saturday / Sunday games, I'll just plan ahead & leave 15-20 minutes earlier.

I do think this would be a big deal for the folks in Chesterfield, O'Fallon MO, some parts of St. Charles County...and one would have to expect some level of attrition from those ranks, I would imagine.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 03:40 PM
StLooFrenchy

As an Illinoisan, I take Metro Link instead of driving and parking. If peeps that used to drive 40 try ML, I think they will continue using it. It is a lot better than the shotgun start out of the lots after the game. Still, I think some folks feel that they are above public transportation and will miss games rather than ride with the plebes ( you know the ones, with great seats, that show up at the begining of the 2nd and leave at the begining of the 3rd ).

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 04:09 PM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
As an Illinoisan, I take Metro Link instead of driving and parking. If peeps that used to drive 40 try ML, I think they will continue using it. It is a lot better than the shotgun start out of the lots after the game. Still, I think some folks feel that they are above public transportation and will miss games rather than ride with the plebes ( you know the ones, with great seats, that show up at the begining of the 2nd and leave at the begining of the 3rd ).
Frenchy, I almost said something snarky about MetroLink in my post & didn't...but now that you've brought it up...

My problem with MetroLink is that it takes me as long (or longer) to get to a stop than it does for me to get downtown. The closest stop for me is probably Shrewsbury...by the time I get there, I'm 10-15 minutes away from downtown, so it's a wash. And I think, for my route anyway, I can get home faster after the game via car vs. train.

I think it's great for those that have easy access to it (I took it from Busch to Scottrade to attend one of the training camp scrimmages, rather than mess with parking). If I lived in Illinois, I'm sure I'd take it to every game.

Unfortunately, MetroLink doesn't serve those of us out west very well. If they want people to ride it, put the silly thing where a lot of people live...anyone in Ellisville/Ballwin/Manchester/Valley Park/Fenton/Eureka/Chesterfield/Southern St. Chuck County would have a hard time saying that it's more convenient for them.

For me, it has nothing to do with being "above public transportation," and everything to do with convenience / accessibility.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 04:29 PM
concept*

I'm out in O'Fallon and work downtown. ::smashes head::

I'm a bit of both when it concerns Metro. 1. It's not very accessible to me. And 2. I don't like crowds of people. The stories of assault, robbery, etc. at Metro bus and train stations doesn't help any, either.

Not that I went to many Blues games before, but I probably won't be attending any in the next two years, either.

Old
12-17-2007, 04:42 PM
StLooFrenchy

[QUOTE=concept;11667847]The stories of assault, robbery, etc. at Metro bus and train stations doesn't help any, either.
[QUOTE]

I catch the Link in East St. Louis, right by St. Mary's Hospital, with my 11 yr old son in tow, and I have never experienced any hostility whatsoever. I am sure there are a few incedences, there are jerks in every corner of the world, but I'm just saying, in my extensive use of the system, I haven't seen it.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 04:46 PM
concept*

I'll agree that I don't hear about them often (except one was very recent and on campus here at Barnes). But incidents, notwithstanding, I don't particularly like being that close to people, anyway.

Old
12-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

I worked downtown this past summer and road the Metro, it was great. I had absolutely no problems. However, I do know of someone that had a run in with someone that got a little nasty on there. But, she still rides it and not out of necessity. Still, growing up in the city, I have never been to fearful of anyone or of the rumors and stories that float around, but I could see where some are weary. Also, for those it is not close to, as noted before, it probably isn't a viable option.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 12:07 AM
MU_Beerman

I live in Chesterfield, and don't get off work til 7 so its been a battle to make it by puckdrop every weeknight thus far. Having garage parking has helped, but I'm going to be missing the first period on weeknights for most of the rest of the season. Keep em in it for me fellas.

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote