HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Any Chance Selanne sign in St. Louis now?

Old
12-17-2007, 07:29 AM
kimzey59

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
There is no way he is moving from Coto de Caza and his 13 little Teemus for Andy Mac. The Blues are a good team, but I think they'd have to be the best team in the league to even get him to think about it.
The Blues have 4 of Selanne's former teammates(Kariya(his best friend), MacDonald(his personal center), Tkachuk(his opposite winger during his record setting rookie year) and Hinote) plus a former Coach of Selanne's(Andy Murray).

In short: Selanne has more "personal ties" on the Blues than he does with any other team in the NHL short of Anahiem.

If Selanne were to come back to any other team but Anahiem; I'd be willing to bet a very large sum that St. Louis would be on top of the list.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 09:33 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman7191 View Post
That would be due to the fact that Scott Stevens is retired and in the Hall.
but Phaneuf is catching up quickly.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 09:43 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sur View Post
Wouldn't this pretty much contradict the Blues' "policy" of infusing youth into the line-up, just echoed by JD ("need to get younger") in connection with the Weight trade? (don't have the link here, but possibly in the recent online article by JR)

Another aspect to consider: how would the young, "homegrown" forwards react if the team hauled in another established veteran? While some might say that would send a message, indeed, it would. We (i.e. the management) don't trust our young guys to take over scoring roles. Hasn't the team already skated - and stumbled - down that path to mediocrity?
Signing Selanne (which I am still against) would be for 1 season. He would essentially be taking Rucinsky's spot on the roster (I imagine we'd waive him and send him to the minors) and for whatever reason the coaching staff and management do not feel Perron or Stempniak would fit the bill.

There is no arguing that Weight for McDonald was about getting younger but if the team feels that adding Selanne for Rucinksy would make the team immediately better for this season alone, I don't imagine it would be a hard sell. Should the move extend beyond this season, then I would have a problem with it as (I am supposing) would the younger players trying to breakout and make the teams scoring lines.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Mooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid platypus View Post
Selanne has stated that if he didnt sign with the ducks, St Louis would be one of the places he would consider.
That is not true.

Teemu is skating nightly in OC and the Ducks expect his return early January.

Treat Andy well - he is a gem.

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 06:04 PM
rocketpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid platypus View Post
Selanne has stated that if he didnt sign with the ducks, St Louis would be one of the places he would consider.
I don't think I've ever read that. I have, however, read quotes saying he wouldn't return at all unless it was to the Ducks.

rocketpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 06:28 PM
kilo41ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
There is no way he is moving from Coto de Caza and his 13 little Teemus for Andy Mac.
LMAO!! 13 little Teemus!!! I needed a chuckle, thanks.

But i don't see him playing at all anymore. he got his cup, anahiem is having to clear space now, the blues would be a scary place for me, for him to go (B-Hawk fan), but like it has been said, i think the fire is gone.

kilo41ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 06:33 PM
STAALing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sur View Post
Wouldn't this pretty much contradict the Blues' "policy" of infusing youth into the line-up, just echoed by JD ("need to get younger") in connection with the Weight trade? (don't have the link here, but possibly in the recent online article by JR)

Another aspect to consider: how would the young, "homegrown" forwards react if the team hauled in another established veteran? While some might say that would send a message, indeed, it would. We (i.e. the management) don't trust our young guys to take over scoring roles. Hasn't the team already skated - and stumbled - down that path to mediocrity?
Right, you say no to Selanne for youth policy. BTW, isnt this the team that constantly re-signs Tkatchuk/Weight and just brought Kariya ?

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by James15Sheppard View Post
BTW, isnt this the team that constantly re-signs Tkatchuk/Weight and just brought Kariya ?
If by "constantly" you mean "once" then yes - the Blues constantly re-sign Tkachuk and Weight. I'd also take Kariya for the next 3 years over almost every forward the Blues have in the organization, whether playing currently in the NHL or not.

12-18-2007, 08:39 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by James15Sheppard View Post
Right, you say no to Selanne for youth policy. BTW, isnt this the team that constantly re-signs Tkatchuk/Weight and just brought Kariya ?
Common knowledge holds that a "youth policy" needs some vets to teach the newbies the ropes. One could do worse than Weight (gone), Paul, and Walt.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote