MALKIN- severely injured!

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Hockeycritic

vCash: 500
MALKIN- severely injured!

Hello,

Yesterday Feb 17 game Magnitogorsk-2 vs Omsk-2 Yevgeny Malkin got severe injury when he ran into the board by his back and head. He lost his consciousness and was hospitalized by ambulance from the ice arena. The doctor of Metallurg Mikhail Novikov told that it was very hard concussion. The prospect will stay couple days at the hospital but his recovery period is expected to be pretty long and hard. Approximate date of recovery by April U-18 WJC in Belarus but still no guarantee.

Regards,
Hockeycritic

Old
02-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Jacob

Well that freaking blows.

Old
02-18-2004, 03:00 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 1308
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
How much will this effect his status in the draft? Will he still be taken #2 after Ovechkin?

Old
02-18-2004, 03:01 PM
Jacob

Probably, considering his biggest competition (Olesz) also suffered a fairly serious concussion.

Old
02-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 1308
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Probably, considering his biggest competition (Olesz) also suffered a fairly serious concussion.
Good point, do either have a history of concussion problems? That could possibly scare some teams away, I remember that happened with a player in last years draft , his name escapes me though.

Old
02-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Jacob

I haven't heard anything like that, but it's not like they've been around for a while. They're probably just now getting to the age and playing level where concussions are frequent.

In both kids' cases, it might be one of those injuries that bothers them for a month and is gone forever, or it could dog them for their entire careers. Various scouts and GMs will probably gauge the risk factor differently.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:28 PM
pittengineer

Not sure how serious it is, but the seriousness could affect is draft status. He is the 2nd best prospect in the draft (atleast I think so), but health plays a big role. Hope he recovers, because he is a really talented player.

From a Pens standpoint, maybe he falls to #1 in the 2nd round. Doubtful, but that would be a coup for the pens to get ovechkin and malkin.

Old
02-22-2004, 09:00 AM
RedWingRussian

vCash:
He has a level 3 concussion.He will be out for at least 2-3 weeks.But how bad is a level 3?Could anyone with a medical background shed a little light on this matter?Thnx!

Old
02-22-2004, 11:08 AM
Allan

It sounds like grade 3 is the worst one.

Quote:
A Grade 3 concussion involves a loss of consciousness longer than five minutes or post-traumatic amnesia that lasts longer than 24 hours.
After a Grade 3 concussion, the athlete must not be allowed to play for at least a month. Return is allowed only if the athlete has felt no symptoms during rest or exertion for at least a week. Two Grade 3 concussions should end a player''s season.
Link

Old
02-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Soyuz

What do you mean the worst one?! The worst one is when a player is a player can't recover from it or suffers a brain hemorage or permanent brain damage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This isn't such a big deal, he'll be in bed for a week or two and then probably will start skating again.

Old
02-22-2004, 11:40 PM
Allan

I meant that there are only 3 grades of concussions, with grade 3 being the most serious type, not that his is the worst concussion ever. Grade 3 concussions are the ones that take the longest to recover from, if ever. Malkin sounds like his is at the less severe side of that grade, as he will probably only be out a month or two. I was just filling RedWingRussian in on what level or grade 3 means.

Old
02-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Dr_Chimera*

Send a message via ICQ to Dr_Chimera* Send a message via MSN to Dr_Chimera*
No, a grade three is when a player loses concussion even for a short period of time.

Malkin did lose consciousness.

Recovery varies from a few weeks onwards.

It is a serious concussion, but not one that should keep him out of the lineup for very long.

Old
02-23-2004, 07:40 AM
RedWingRussian

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I was just filling RedWingRussian in on what level or grade 3 means.
Thank you Allan!

Old
02-23-2004, 09:04 AM
Allan

You are very welcome. I suppose I should have been more clear in the first post that as far as I understand, the grade is based on how the injury was incurred, and doesn't always relate directly to recovery time. I had a grade 3 concussion a few years ago, and I was back at work and school a week later, with no more symptoms, while somebody like Jason Allison or Adam Deadmarsh may never live a normal life again, even though I don't think either of them had one worse than grade 2. However, for the most part, barring repeated injuries, a higher grade means longer recovery time for the majority.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Soyuz

Allan, didn't mean to get on your case, I just don't like extremes - like that's the worst one . Anywho, yeah - he is a big kid, with a big head, he'll be fine.

Old
04-05-2004, 08:31 PM
pitthockey81

Actually a grade 3 concussion involves the loss of conciousness for any amount of time. The players return time depends on various factors including how many previous concussions sustained, and how long they are symptom free. If it was his first concussion it is 2-3 weeks after being symptom free.

Closed Thread