HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Simon

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-19-2007, 04:17 PM
  #101
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
lOOK GUYS sIMON WAS A rANGER AND A VERY WELL RESPECTED ONE AT THAT. tHE GUY COMPLETELY FOR SOME REASON LOST HIS MIND LAST YEAR WITH hOLLWEG AND FLIPPED OUT. 25 GAMES WOW I THOUGHT AND HE WAS COSTING HIMSELF MONEY AND MAYBE A CONTRACT WITH THAT. nOW ONE YEAR LATER HE DID SOMETHIG THAT WAS BEYOND THE NORMAL LINES OF THINKING AND REALLY TRIED TO HURT SOMEONE. sIMON HAS A ISSUE WITH VIOLENCE AND NEEDS HELP. i AM DaGOON WITH MY SCREEN NAME BECAUSE I LOVE HOCKEY AND FIGHTING BUT PURE VIOLENCE IS STUID AND THEIR IS NO PLACE FOR IT. SIMON I HOPE CONQUERS HIS DEOMONS AND GETS HIS LIFE TOGETHER FOR ONE MORE SEASON OR WHATEVER HE FEELS HE NEEDS. STUPID HORRIBE PLAY BUT THE FACT HE NEEDS HELPW ITH SOMETHING IS WHAT SHOULD BE FOCUSED ON. NO WAY A ISLANDER FAN HERE BUT IF HE WERE STILL A RANGER WE WOULD BE STICKING UP FOR UP AND MAKING EXCUSES ALSO
Not me.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 04:23 PM
  #102
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
What makes it pathetic? Nolan is the teams coach, how would he look to the other players if he hung Simon out there and made some bad remarks about the guy. Thats not what a leader does.

He stated multiple times he does not condone what happened but that he is supporting his player in an attempt to get him help.

All you people that keep saying Nolan is classless really need to take another look.
Nolan's reaction is pathetic in that he's only showing us a kind of tunnel vision. He would have us believe that the suspension is too excessive when this guy cannot seem to control himself. It seems to me that that the Islanders organization is making him out to be some kind of victim when his actions if applied to the real world are those of a thug. Why should he get another chance this season when he's had two major incidents in less than one year? Injuries are part of the game but players need to show some respect for their opponents--something that Chris doesn't seem to get. Nolan's part in this seems to me to be that of an enabler.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 04:25 PM
  #103
Stoney La Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Not me.
Me, either. This has nothing to do with what sweater he wears. I hope the guy gets the help he needs, but even if he was still a Ranger I would have serious misgivings about seeing him back on the ice.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 04:30 PM
  #104
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,454
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieLovesSBates17 View Post
I agree with you. Nolan doesn't have to back away from his support of Chris Simon, he views him as family and that is what family does they support them. Even more so in a time of need, I firmly believe in the coming weeks a lot is going to come out about Chris Simon and the demons he is dealing with.

Thats all fine and good, go to the wall for him Teddy. He needs someone on his side. Having said that, there comes a time where Teddy needs to "Man Up" and put his ENTIRE team before the needs of Chris Simon.

I cannot see how any Islander (more so those left from last season, when Simon did what he did the Isles were in 6th place and went on to lose a lot of games and barely made the playoffs) will want to play alongside Simon. He has shown that in the end, he does what he wants no matter how it may affect his teammates. If Simon comes back, I will have a serious quandry on my hands, as a fan I expect more.

Loyalty is great, but not when you give it out to the wrong people and don't get anything in return.

I wish Simon the best, that he fights through whatever he is dealing with, but his time in the NHL and with the Isles should be done.
Agreed 100%. And from what I heard on ESPN Radio a little while ago, it sounds like the league is ordering him to go to alcohol rehabilitation. So we'll see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
lOOK GUYS sIMON WAS A rANGER AND A VERY WELL RESPECTED ONE AT THAT. tHE GUY COMPLETELY FOR SOME REASON LOST HIS MIND LAST YEAR WITH hOLLWEG AND FLIPPED OUT. 25 GAMES WOW I THOUGHT AND HE WAS COSTING HIMSELF MONEY AND MAYBE A CONTRACT WITH THAT. nOW ONE YEAR LATER HE DID SOMETHIG THAT WAS BEYOND THE NORMAL LINES OF THINKING AND REALLY TRIED TO HURT SOMEONE. sIMON HAS A ISSUE WITH VIOLENCE AND NEEDS HELP. i AM DaGOON WITH MY SCREEN NAME BECAUSE I LOVE HOCKEY AND FIGHTING BUT PURE VIOLENCE IS STUID AND THEIR IS NO PLACE FOR IT. SIMON I HOPE CONQUERS HIS DEOMONS AND GETS HIS LIFE TOGETHER FOR ONE MORE SEASON OR WHATEVER HE FEELS HE NEEDS. STUPID HORRIBE PLAY BUT THE FACT HE NEEDS HELPW ITH SOMETHING IS WHAT SHOULD BE FOCUSED ON. NO WAY A ISLANDER FAN HERE BUT IF HE WERE STILL A RANGER WE WOULD BE STICKING UP FOR UP AND MAKING EXCUSES ALSO
Sorry, I would never defend any Ranger who did something as stupid as that. I am a big fan of Ryan Hollweg, but he delivers alot of illegal (and at the very least, questionable) hits from time to time and I don't like to see them at all. I'm all for a clean play, but I hate seeing the line crossed.

I'm not comparing some of his actions to the two pathetic displays by Simon in the past year obviously, but a stupid play is a stupid play no matter what team you root for.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 04:32 PM
  #105
GarretJoseph
Registered User
 
GarretJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Not me.
ditto

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 04:33 PM
  #106
E_Godard
Registered User
 
E_Godard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Section 103
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Nolan's reaction is pathetic in that he's only showing us a kind of tunnel vision. He would have us believe that the suspension is too excessive when this guy cannot seem to control himself. It seems to me that that the Islanders organization is making him out to be some kind of victim when his actions if applied to the real world are those of a thug. Why should he get another chance this season when he's had two major incidents in less than one year? Injuries are part of the game but players need to show some respect for their opponents--something that Chris doesn't seem to get. Nolan's part in this seems to me to be that of an enabler.
I support Simon but want him gone when that becomes possible. I also think the suspension was to long, as I felt the Hollweg incident was much worse and luckily the player wasnt injured. So does that make my perception on this whole ordeal pathetic as well?

I guess the fact that Nolan seems to be so hated by Ranger fans will always override any action he takes. No one is making Simon out to be a victim, theyre just not hanging the guy out to dry.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 04:43 PM
  #107
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
I support Simon but want him gone when that becomes possible. I also think the suspension was to long, as I felt the Hollweg incident was much worse and luckily the player wasnt injured. So does that make my perception on this whole ordeal pathetic as well?

I guess the fact that Nolan seems to be so hated by Ranger fans will always override any action he takes. No one is making Simon out to be a victim, theyre just not hanging the guy out to dry.
I think 30 games is alot, but not for a guy with Simon's past. He was suspended 20 games before, he shouldn't be shocked at the length of the suspension this time around.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 05:03 PM
  #108
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Not me.
not me either

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 05:16 PM
  #109
HenriksBetter
 
HenriksBetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
Should have been more than 30 games IMO. Seeing that he got a 25 game suspension 9 months ago i really though it would have been more.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 05:55 PM
  #110
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetalChick View Post
Why are you so confident that Chris will ever be on the ice again?
Dont any of you get what is going on here?
See, the issue isn't whether or not Simon plays another game. I don't really care. What bothers me is the message the league is sending. In my opinion, this sort of action on the ice should have been resolved with the McSorley incident. It's arguable that McSorley didn't even intend to injury Brashear, but that heinous act still resulted in a year suspension and a required reinstatement to return to NHL action. It went further than the Simon punishment but it still wasn't far enough.

The league should have handed down that judgement along with a new standard for dealing with these actions: Lifetime bans, Year/season long bans, forfeiture of draft picks from the aggressor's team, huge fines to the player AND organization. Tremendous deterents. Hockey is pretty much the only mainstream sport that plays the game with weapons (that used to be just sticks but now skates will be in that category). The requires a special set of rules and punishment. Instead, the sport is smeared by Bertuzzi, Downie and Simon twice. These are your hockey highlights, folks, not Malkin undressing Brodeur or Lundqvist saving the game by robbing Briere in the playoffs.

Speaking of Bertuzzi, the league really screwed the pooch on this one. Now evidence is emerging that it was a premeditated act handed down from at least the head coach... reason enough to start punishing the organization as well? Bertuzzi gets the remainder of the season and playoffs, 17 games I believe and the McSorley reinstatement business. The lockout left the punishment at that as Bettman declared time served as 'enough'. But that was the NHL's stance. Look at Europe. The IIHF wouldn't allow Bertuzzi to play in Europe during the lockout because of that disgusting attack in another league. The didn't want to condone the action by allowing this guy to circumvent his suspension. To me, the NHL comes off as a safe haven for these bums.

So here's Simon. Now this isn't about him being an Islander not getting punished enough. To emphasize this lets use the descriptions that matter. 8 suspensions. 2 attacks with a weapon on the ice against an unaware opponent in less than a year. He doesn't get it, he didn't get it after McSorely, he didn't get it after Bertuzzi. Who else didn't get it? Downie didn't after McSorely, Bertuzzi and Simon. Boulerice didn't after McSorely, Bertuzzi, Simon, Downie and surprise surprise, Boulerice in juniors. This is the issue. The money is nice for these guys, hell, it's great. But we talk about how hockey's special because they don't play for money. They don't play for money or fame. They play for the cup, their teammates, the organization and themselves. They play for the 20+ years of dedication and sacrifice. The only thing that will universally deter these actions is taking away their ability to play at the highest level. Starting today, let it be known what exactly the punishment will be for crossing the line. Let them know that you will be gone for 1, 2 years, or forever. Punish the teams so they won't harbour these wastes. Go 'too far' with the punishments because it looks like the players are still willing to go too far.




sorry for the long post.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 06:08 PM
  #111
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Howey Rose just said that Colie Campbell "mispoke" when he said that Simon "was seeking treatment for drug an alcohol dependency" and that the Ilses immediately denied that that was so.

For Simons sake I hope he meant that he was seeking treatment at a Drug and Alcohol facility.


Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 12-19-2007 at 06:18 PM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 06:29 PM
  #112
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Howey Rose just said that Colie Campbell "mispoke" when he said that Simon "was seeking treatment for drug an alcohol dependency" and that the Ilses immediately denied that that was so.

For Simons sake I hope he meant that he was seeking treatment at a Drug and Alcohol facility.
Yeah and Howie keeps calling Toni Lydman "Lud-man", I thought it was "Lid-man".

Lud-man just sounds stupid. Yay Roy for scoring early!

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2007, 09:48 PM
  #113
zestystrat
Registered User
 
zestystrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC > Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
See, the issue isn't whether or not Simon plays another game. I don't really care. What bothers me is the message the league is sending. In my opinion, this sort of action on the ice should have been resolved with the McSorley incident. It's arguable that McSorley didn't even intend to injury Brashear, but that heinous act still resulted in a year suspension and a required reinstatement to return to NHL action. It went further than the Simon punishment but it still wasn't far enough.

The league should have handed down that judgement along with a new standard for dealing with these actions: Lifetime bans, Year/season long bans, forfeiture of draft picks from the aggressor's team, huge fines to the player AND organization. Tremendous deterents. Hockey is pretty much the only mainstream sport that plays the game with weapons (that used to be just sticks but now skates will be in that category). The requires a special set of rules and punishment. Instead, the sport is smeared by Bertuzzi, Downie and Simon twice. These are your hockey highlights, folks, not Malkin undressing Brodeur or Lundqvist saving the game by robbing Briere in the playoffs.

Speaking of Bertuzzi, the league really screwed the pooch on this one. Now evidence is emerging that it was a premeditated act handed down from at least the head coach... reason enough to start punishing the organization as well? Bertuzzi gets the remainder of the season and playoffs, 17 games I believe and the McSorley reinstatement business. The lockout left the punishment at that as Bettman declared time served as 'enough'. But that was the NHL's stance. Look at Europe. The IIHF wouldn't allow Bertuzzi to play in Europe during the lockout because of that disgusting attack in another league. The didn't want to condone the action by allowing this guy to circumvent his suspension. To me, the NHL comes off as a safe haven for these bums.

So here's Simon. Now this isn't about him being an Islander not getting punished enough. To emphasize this lets use the descriptions that matter. 8 suspensions. 2 attacks with a weapon on the ice against an unaware opponent in less than a year. He doesn't get it, he didn't get it after McSorely, he didn't get it after Bertuzzi. Who else didn't get it? Downie didn't after McSorely, Bertuzzi and Simon. Boulerice didn't after McSorely, Bertuzzi, Simon, Downie and surprise surprise, Boulerice in juniors. This is the issue. The money is nice for these guys, hell, it's great. But we talk about how hockey's special because they don't play for money. They don't play for money or fame. They play for the cup, their teammates, the organization and themselves. They play for the 20+ years of dedication and sacrifice. The only thing that will universally deter these actions is taking away their ability to play at the highest level. Starting today, let it be known what exactly the punishment will be for crossing the line. Let them know that you will be gone for 1, 2 years, or forever. Punish the teams so they won't harbour these wastes. Go 'too far' with the punishments because it looks like the players are still willing to go too far.
+10!!!

Great post. Wish I had written it.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 07:58 AM
  #114
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
In my opinion, this sort of action on the ice should have been resolved with the McSorley incident. It's arguable that McSorley didn't even intend to injury Brashear, but that heinous act still resulted in a year suspension and a required reinstatement to return to NHL action.
McSorley was not a Native Canadian. Simon gets the break because of the importance of this issue in Canada. Campbell is well aware of it I'm sure..

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 11:28 AM
  #115
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
I support Simon but want him gone when that becomes possible. I also think the suspension was to long, as I felt the Hollweg incident was much worse and luckily the player wasnt injured. So does that make my perception on this whole ordeal pathetic as well?

I guess the fact that Nolan seems to be so hated by Ranger fans will always override any action he takes. No one is making Simon out to be a victim, theyre just not hanging the guy out to dry.
No--not necessarily. I could refer you to Mugerya's excellent post above. Whether the Hollweg incident was more dangerous or not--the Ruuttu incident shows that Simon has not learned anything from the 25 game suspension which was well deserved. In light of that prior suspension only a short while ago and taking into consideration that Chris once again seemed with some malice beforehand intent to injure another player I think this suspension is downright lenient. As for your own view on this your opinion in the singular form anyway as valid as mine--I just think it misses the mark because it's time for Chris Simon to get his act together.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 12:07 PM
  #116
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
McSorley was not a Native Canadian. Simon gets the break because of the importance of this issue in Canada. Campbell is well aware of it I'm sure..
Maybe its a factor. Maybe race was a factor in the McSorley punishment. But even with that, I don't see how anyone can make a solid case against Campbell for laying down a harsher punishment.

Even with that, they still dropped the ball way back when with McSorley. The point is, neither Simon incident should have occurred. The culture of the game should have been adjusted back then.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 12:40 PM
  #117
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
Nice to see hockey making network news again.

1. Don't know how he's not banned from the NHL by now.
2. Don't see how the Isles can afford to put him back on the ice ever again.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.