HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Wagner, Polak injured

Old
12-16-2007, 12:51 AM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Wagner, Polak injured

from pjstar.com

Wagner concussion, Polak broken ankle
The Peoria Rivermen lost defenseman Steve Wagner on Saturday when he got caught with his head down and took a huge shoulder hit from Rochester’s Jordan Henry in the second period.

Wagner briefly lay unconcious on the ice in front of the penalty boxes, and was hospitalized for tests. He was back in the Rivermen locker room after the game.
The team expects him to be shelved 14 days—standard procedure following a Grade II concussion. He’ll get tested Monday in St. Louis, and that down time could be shortened.

The news wasn’t good on key defense prospect Roman Polak, meanwhile. He was put out last week on a questionable hit by Quad City’s Krys Kolanos, who shoved Polak as he slid down full speed into the endboards. Polak was removed by stretcher from that game, and later reported to have a low ankle sprain that would sideline him 2-4 weeks.

Further tests now show Polak has a broken left ankle, and will need surgery to insert screws. He’ll be out at least 8 more weeks, a blow to the organization as Polak was having an All-Star caliber season.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 12:53 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 11:11 AM
General Veers

NOOOOOOOO! As soon as I get my Polak avatar, he breaks a hoof.... And Wags too?!?!?! *** ******* ******!!!! So much for trading a depth D-man for a forward...

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 01:00 PM
ChicagoBlues

I knew this was gonna happen. We all (including myself) said that our depth is at defense, but over the last week I began to analyze it deeper and realized that that is not the case. We do enjoy defensive depth, but as we saw earlier in the season if a couple injuries occur, then we are screwed and not deep at all on defense.

Now two of our depth defensemen are down and voila!!

Our offense is and has been deep since this past draft. We have 7-10 forwards in our system that have a legitimate shot at making the NHL over the next few years. On D? Well we have Hellstrom and Junland, but they are so young. Cole will be at ND for three more seasons. Who else is there? Brooks? Maybe.

And I would like to take some credit for this Weight trade. We kept saying (including myself) that we should trade our defenseive depth for a forward, but I changed that tune and said to package Weight and a prospect for a forward. I had Jokinen in mind, but BigMac is just fine. I also said that Weight should be tendered one more year, which I would have stood, unless we actually could trade him.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Brandur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I knew this was gonna happen. We all (including myself) said that our depth is at defense, but over the last week I began to analyze it deeper and realized that that is not the case. We do enjoy defensive depth, but as we saw earlier in the season if a couple injuries occur, then we are screwed and not deep at all on defense.

Now two of our depth defensemen are down and voila!!

Our offense is and has been deep since this past draft. We have 7-10 forwards in our system that have a legitimate shot at making the NHL over the next few years. On D? Well we have Hellstrom and Junland, but they are so young. Cole will be at ND for three more seasons. Who else is there? Brooks? Maybe.

And I would like to take some credit for this Weight trade. We kept saying (including myself) that we should trade our defenseive depth for a forward, but I changed that tune and said to package Weight and a prospect for a forward. I had Jokinen in mind, but BigMac is just fine. I also said that Weight should be tendered one more year, which I would have stood, unless we actually could trade him.

Our defensive depth doesn't begin and end with Polak and Wagner. Yes, they're my two favorite defensive prospects, but there are plenty other options. Woywitka is having a monster year in the AHL, and it's a crime that he hasn't had an opportunity to play this season in the NHL. Brooks and DuPont are both capable of stepping right into the lineup. Hellstrom isn't quite ready, but I bet he would perform well in a limited role. And lets not forget Walker, who has played very well once he gets the rust knocked off.

Yeah, it sucks that Polak and Wagner are injured--let's hope they heal quickly and there are no lingering effects--but the sky isn't falling.

Brandur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Wes McSnipes*

A couple things....

It sucks that they are both injured, and they will both be out for a few weeks.

So... that will definitely erase a d-man for forward trade RIGHT NOW, because if we were going to make one, then one of Polak or Wagner would have to be called up.

But that leads me to my next point. Since we won't be making a d-man for forward trade yet, that makes the Weight for McDonald trade look really good. It was perfect timing, because we still got a good scorer (better than Weight) before those two went down.

Wes McSnipes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:25 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
@$%#^%&****ing injuries%^$$#@!#@!

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:28 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

my first reaction was "This wouldn't have happend to Wagner if we didn't need to send him down to allow the other underperforming crapdmen play"

and Polak, I worry with the rep the AHL has he might just head home after this injury. I don't want to be an alarmist. I really don't but its time for some addition by subtraction on our dcorps sooner rather than later.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 09:32 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Even losing two rookies, why would you totally stop looking? Woywitka is still deserving. Dupont is okay. We could always bring up a D man from Alaska to fill at Peoria or loan/sign a minor leaguer to a tryout contract until Wags is back. (If he is okay) I'm sure there are guys in the ECHL deserving of a look at the next level.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 08:43 AM
execwrite

from pjstar.com

Rivermen center-winger Martin Kariya and defenseman Steve Wagner, both out with concussions, have passed their medical tests and will be cleared to play in a week. They are expected to return to the lineup when Peoria hosts Rockford on Dec. 26.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
my first reaction was "This wouldn't have happend to Wagner if we didn't need to send him down to allow the other underperforming crapdmen play"

I hear ya talkin', brotha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
and Polak, I worry with the rep the AHL has he might just head home after this injury. I don't want to be an alarmist. I really don't but its time for some addition by subtraction on our dcorps sooner rather than later.
Any other Euro, I might agree with you. But Polak is different, IMO. He's got a North American mindset, he wants to be involved physically, and he wants to be an NHL player.

This injury is a setback fro him, but I predict he'll be back in the Peoria lineup well in time for a playoff push, and will be a full-time Blue by this time next year.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Hey if you guys want we can swap you Wideman back for Boyes..

hmm..or Berglund

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 02:33 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post

I hear ya talkin', brotha.

Any other Euro, I might agree with you. But Polak is different, IMO. He's got a North American mindset, he wants to be involved physically, and he wants to be an NHL player.

This injury is a setback fro him, but I predict he'll be back in the Peoria lineup well in time for a playoff push, and will be a full-time Blue by this time next year.

P_B

Hell yea PB! He'll be back and ready to crush fools, at which time I will get his avatar back up....hopefully I won't curse him AGAIN!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote