HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question For Sens Fans-Regarding Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Leafer4Life
Go Leafs Go!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Leafer4Life Send a message via Yahoo to Leafer4Life
Question For Sens Fans-Regarding Toronto

My question to you is this: If all the the other Canadian teams are beat out of the playoffs, and Toronto is the only team left, will you cheer for them, for the simple reason of bringing the cup home to Canada? Just curious......

Old
04-05-2004, 05:34 PM
senate

Toronto isn't part of Canada, It is a vain imitation of New York. If the Sens are eliminated, whoever plays the leaves become Canada's team.

Isn't that right bananas?

Old
04-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
And there-in lies the biggest difference. Last year after the Leafs where eliminated Toronto fans (for the most part) supported Ottawa and Vancouver, then once you eliminated Philly and we were able to shun the Philly avatar (from the bWo/SOB playoff bet) we sported a Sens av that stated "Canada's hope 2003."

Old
04-05-2004, 05:42 PM
GoethesGouda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafer4Life
My question to you is this: If all the the other Canadian teams are beat out of the playoffs, and Toronto is the only team left, will you cheer for them, for the simple reason of bringing the cup home to Canada? Just curious......
I would love for the Cup to come back to Canada. However, it's that loud-mouthed 5% of Leaf fans that would make it unbearable. I wish the best for the Leafs and most of their fans; it's too bad that some Leaf fans make all Leaf fans look bad. Like the ones who took great enjoyment in Bondra getting injured. It's because of them that I hope Toronto never hoists the Cup. If they do win the Cup, I'll be happy for those Leaf fans who carry themselves with class and good sportsmanship.

I know, I know... there are some equally moronic Sens fans. .

Old
04-05-2004, 05:55 PM
wasting time

Sens fans take the moral high ground because their team is made up of "skilled" players, not goons like Toronto. That's why Ottawa signed Ray, Brookbank (lost) and Varada - because they are "skilled."

Isn't that right Mr. Dancing Head? :gman:

Old
04-05-2004, 05:57 PM
umboula

I SOOOO don't get the hostility factor that lies within team rivalries.

I grew up in a house with my mother a Leafs fan, a father a Bruins fan, and a step-father a Habs fan.

It made for great games.
We'd jab at eachother and whatnot, yelling about dirty plays, you know the usual. But all in good fun. Isn't that what its supposed to be?
I mean, personally I will cheer for the Leafs until the cows come home, but if by some miracle the Sens make it to the finals and the Leafs don't, I will cheer for em (unless some other Canadian team is there too, heh). Cos in the end the cup going to any Canadian team makes me happy.

Bah.
Every team has their bonehead fans, and they ruin good time competition for everyone.

(Just so y'all know my fave rivalry is the Leafs/Sens one, cos the teams are mostly evenly matched and make for good games. Unless we humiliate you 6-0, or you humiliate us 7-1 or something.)

Old
04-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Suiteness

Last year I had no problem cheering for the Devils after they wiped us out. Why? Cause they're actually a classy team who play the game the way it should be played. No punch throwing garbage after the whistles, no GM who continuoulsy blames the referees for every single loss (Hello Quinn and Brian Burke), no coaches who constantly whine about everything, no matter what the result is, in every single press conference following a game, etc.

Toronto and Vancouver? I'll pass.

Old
04-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
I'd rather have another team win it, unfortunately. I'm routing for Calgary second, then Montreal, then the Nucks. I wouldn't really feel happy in any way knowing the Leafs won.

Old
04-05-2004, 06:45 PM
leafaholix*

You're asking people who listen to Team 1200.

A radio station who's slogo is "LEAFS SUCK".

Btw... I'll be cheering for the Sens if we get knocked out.

EDIT: I added the winking smiley... I don't want to "provoke" anything.

Old
04-05-2004, 06:47 PM
GoM

I respect how Ottawa built their team, but I will never...ever cheer for them. The whole Canada vs America 'teams to cheer for' thing never appealed to me, I always cheer for the teams I like. I treat any fan with respect unless they don't deserve it, but cheering for the Sens...no way

Old
04-05-2004, 06:51 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by umboula
I SOOOO don't get the hostility factor that lies within team rivalries.

I grew up in a house with my mother a Leafs fan, a father a Bruins fan, and a step-father a Habs fan.
You didn't mention which team you were a fan of: do you take after your wonderful, intelligent, classy woman of a mother or the Cast of Dumb (Bruins fan dad) or Dumber (step dad the Habs fan)?

(Please take the above comment with the humour it was intended )

Old
04-05-2004, 08:10 PM
umboula

Oh, I am a Leafs fan. I'm the kind of person that gives my friends updates on the Leafs scores, whether they want them or not.
My mother made damn sure of that.

Old
04-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoethesGouda
I would love for the Cup to come back to Canada. However, it's that loud-mouthed 5% of Leaf fans that would make it unbearable. I wish the best for the Leafs and most of their fans; it's too bad that some Leaf fans make all Leaf fans look bad. Like the ones who took great enjoyment in Bondra getting injured. It's because of them that I hope Toronto never hoists the Cup. If they do win the Cup, I'll be happy for those Leaf fans who carry themselves with class and good sportsmanship.

I know, I know... there are some equally moronic Sens fans. .
Every team has loud-mouthed fans. It is a part of any sport. Regardless of what team wins their will always be someone gloating in an annoying manner that just makes you want to punch them :troll: . The trick is don't let a couple of fools ruin your fun with sports teams. That said I would not blame you for not supporting the Leafs. Although I like to cheer for Canadian teams, I find it impossible to cheer for the team that knocks the Leafs out.

Old
04-05-2004, 08:30 PM
HF2002

I cheer for the Sens first.

Then I cheer for players I have in the pool.

That's it.

Maybe if the CN Tower falls over and lands on its tip in centerfield of the SkyDome, all the while pinning Barry Bonds under it (thanks to interleague play)...I still wouldn't cheer for the Leafs.

Old
04-05-2004, 08:38 PM
H2ODP

vCash: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
And there-in lies the biggest difference. Last year after the Leafs where eliminated Toronto fans (for the most part) supported Ottawa and Vancouver, then once you eliminated Philly and we were able to shun the Philly avatar (from the bWo/SOB playoff bet) we sported a Sens av that stated "Canada's hope 2003."
I think it's easier for Leaf fans to support Ottawa than it is for Ottawa to support the Leafs. The Leafs have never experienced any kinda of bitter lost to Ottawa when it counts, they have not developed the same kind of hatred Ottawa has developed towards Toronto. We've lost three playoff series, one of them being a sweep. It's just not as hard for a Leaf fan getting behind the Sens knowing their team is better anyway judging by their recent history.. Hope I'm making sense here..

Old
04-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Puck
Ninja

I'm in agreement with GoM. I'll cheer for specific teams that I like, not along nationalistic lines. The NHL format is based on cities, not countries. Not countries yet anyway. I don't see the Stanley Cup as a Canada vs US thing. It is my local team vs the rest of the league.

From past experience, I would say that I'll develop a temporary hatred for any team that crosses my favorite team in the playoffs. I doubt I could cheer for the Leafs after they eliminated the Sens. Then later, I'll get over it during the summer. I doubt I'll get over it that soon where I would cheer for the Leafs after they eliminated my club....to use the word of those wise characters in South Park....b*st*rds....

Old
04-05-2004, 08:50 PM
umboula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan11
I think it's easier for Leaf fans to support Ottawa than it is for Ottawa to support the Leafs. The Leafs have never experienced any kinda of bitter lost to Ottawa when it counts, they have not developed the same kind of hatred Ottawa has developed towards Toronto. We've lost three playoff series, one of them being a sweep. It's just not as hard for a Leaf fan getting behind the Sens knowing their team is better anyway judging by their recent history.. Hope I'm making sense here..
Complete sense actually.

Its why I hated the Flyers so much this year.
They embarassed us last year in the playoffs.
Its tough to cheer for any team after they whoop you.

Its the reason why I am cheering for the Islanders rather than Tampa. I was at the game the Leafs lost 7-2 to em. Embarassing to say the least.
And when the Sens whooped us 7-1 I was cursing a blue streak and vowing revenge on the entire city of Ottawa.

Bah, either way this is going to be one hell of a run. The Leafs are in the mindset that this is their year, that they have the team with the potential to pull em out of the cup slump. And the Sens just wanna prove themselves to everyone that they are cup contenders, and that this is their time. Neither team is gonna roll over and die.
The series will probably go (to the Leafs ) in 7 games

Old
04-05-2004, 11:38 PM
Poikilitic

yea guys we're all friends here, check this out:

Closed Thread