Notices

Burns on D

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Lake Harriet

vCash: 500
Burns on D

I wasn't watching the game carefully the other night, but even half watching, it jumped out at me how well Burns was doing from just one shift. I hadn't liked the idea of putting there. In the Pioneer Press today, Jacques says he's there for good, as in next year. A totally unexpected and interesting development. If he stays and succeeds it will be quite a fluke, because it was only an emergency situation that prompted him to put him back there.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:06 AM
ceber

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...ey/8335073.htm

Is that the article you refer to, or is there another one? Let's put the quote here...

Quote:
Blue line for Burns: Training camp is more than seven months away, but it's a safe bet that Brent Burns will prepare for his second NHL season as a defenseman.

After playing three games in place of injured Filip Kuba, Burns has the coaching staff salivating about his potential on the blue line.

"He won't get out of there until he screws up, until I realize he's making too many mistakes and we can't afford it," Lemaire said Thursday.

Burns played almost 17 minutes against Colorado, including 6:46 manning the point on power plays. He unloaded four shots and has seven shots in three games as a defenseman.

"Let's say we're dreaming that he becomes a defenseman who can do good things on the power play," Lemaire said. "That's what we need."

Burns, 19, stands 6 feet 4 and should add to his 210 pounds as he matures. He played defense in youth hockey before converting to right wing for his breakout 2002-03 season in the Ontario Hockey League. With more options to move the puck and less traffic to deal with, Burns has adapted during his NHL crash course.

"I've been really confident with the puck," Burns said. "I really like it back there. Whatever they tell me, I'll do."
I've started to like the idea of him back there, too. Primarily because he gets to handle the puck more, and gets more time on the ice. I've not been stunned by his effectiveness in front of the crease, but it's certainly early yet.

But, I'd like to see/hear the full interview. I think Lemaire's quotes are often misinterpreted (or he changes his mind after the fact ) by the press. Or if not misinterpreted, misrepresented. The reason I say this is from listening and watching his interviews and then reading the quotes in the papers the following day. They often don't match up well. Lemaire has a funny way of saying things, sometimes.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Brock

Wow interesting.

Burns must have really, really caught the eye of the coaching staff for them to say he's on defense for good after only three games.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:59 AM
eye

I remember reading an article about Burns before he was drafted talking about how he played mostly Defense when he was 15 and 16 years old. I watched one game and he did play well with the puck but looked like he needed a lot of work on his backwards skating and his pivots. He seemed to make up for it with his long reach and good second effort. I think it's a good experiment considering Burns was a 1st round pick that never put up big offensive numbers at any level prior to being drafted so high and this move may just end up paying off. If it works it makes Henry expendible.

Old
04-02-2004, 03:37 PM
strib

No it just means that unlike this year Jacques will find a reason to keep 7 defencemen on the roster.

Old
04-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Just Joshin'

It was a good move to put Burns on defense. He has the size and defensive ability to be solid at the line. When I've seen him as a forward, it didn't seem like he had good moves to the net and never really appeared to be a scoring threat (even though he's only 19). He passes the puck more in the offensive zone than trying to create scoring chances for himself. That pass first mentality would benefit him on line and help spread out the offense.

Old
04-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Joshin'
It was a good move to put Burns on defense. He has the size and defensive ability to be solid at the line. When I've seen him as a forward, it didn't seem like he had good moves to the net and never really appeared to be a scoring threat (even though he's only 19). He passes the puck more in the offensive zone than trying to create scoring chances for himself. That pass first mentality would benefit him on line and help spread out the offense.
You make some good points Josh...and BTW welcome to the Wild board. I have stated my opinions b4 on Burns, but if he continues to excel on the blueline I can't see any reason not to have him stay there. I think the most surprising thing about the whole situation is JL and DR's reaction to his play and how impressed they are...saying that is where they want him, so soon.

He either has been very bad, in their eyes, at forward, or is doing something very right in his breif debut at defese.

Old
04-03-2004, 11:38 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
I think this was an excellent move. The Wild needed someone like Burns on the blueline, someone to move the puck confidentally and has a good slap shot from the point. Hopefully Burns works out back there. HE does seem a bit more confident and seems to handle himself a little better back there.

Here's hoping!

COME ON WOLSKI!

Old
04-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
HE does seem a bit more confident and seems to handle himself a little better back there.
Totally agreed. I think this is what they see in him as well. Confidence can work wonders with younger players...prolly just happy to be playing at all.

Draft time is approching...maybe we'll take Montoya and move him to center...

Old
04-03-2004, 11:49 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
ROFLMAO!

Or move Brust and Harding to defense!

I heard Brust is a mean motherfugger...

Old
04-04-2004, 12:11 AM
theo6060

Quote:
I think this was an excellent move. The Wild needed someone like Burns on the blueline, someone to move the puck confidentally and has a good slap shot from the point. Hopefully Burns works out back there. HE does seem a bit more confident and seems to handle himself a little better back there.

Here's hoping!

COME ON WOLSKI!
Wolski really? Not to sound down on the guy, but RLR was right when they said he never hits and is laid back. I really worry about his lack of hussle and the "I'll play when I feel like it" attitude.

Old
04-04-2004, 12:20 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
How about Kaspar than Theo?

Old
04-04-2004, 01:12 AM
icarus

Wow, this really screws up my fantasy team... I've got lots of young D and a big shortage of RWers lol. (Sorry, this has nothing to do with the Wild).

Old
04-04-2004, 01:03 PM
theo6060

Quote:
How about Kaspar than Theo?
I'm not sure, but going on what I've seen from Wolski I just don't get a good vibe from him. I'm going to start a draft thread since the season is done.

Old
04-05-2004, 12:08 AM
rubicon

If only we can ge Turkonen. Maybe we can trade up(hopeless sigh)

Old
04-05-2004, 08:01 AM
theo6060

I guess it's still not "official" yet.

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com...layer.cgi?3491

Old
04-06-2004, 03:21 AM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo6060
I guess it's still not "official" yet.

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com...layer.cgi?3491
Maybe they are still holding out hope like I am...

Closed Thread