HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malik (All Malk Talk Here For the Rest of the Year)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2007, 06:32 AM
  #76
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
The cap. If it meant getting rid of someone signed for next year some GMs might take Malik. But yeah it would be tough for the Rangers to do since they are in a tough spot cap-wise next year and still need to re-sign Henrik.

I think Mathieu Schneider is on the market, signed for next year and would fill a major need on this team. But I don't know if we could squeeze him under the cap next year.
Burke wanted to keep Schneider out of any deal last week because Niedermayer isn't planning on playing next season.Schneider has a $5.625 million cap number.

Malik($2.5 million)and Mara($3 million)are sucking up too much cap space as #5/#6/#7 defensemen.Jason Strudwick at $500,000 is a better buy than those two guys.The Rangers would be getting more bang for their buck if they signed Aaron Miller($1.5 million)or Brent Sopel($1.36 million).Both Miller and Sopel signed 1 year deals.

Lundqvist is priority #1.January 1 is 10 days away.When they get him locked up,then Sather will know how much money will be allocated to the rest of the team.

I would rather the Rangers keep Malik on the roster,send him down to Hartford or include him in a deal to even out the dollars in the trade rather than take back money for next season.The Rangers could find a defenseman in free agent market for a 1 year deal in the $1.5 million range.Tyutin and Girardi are going to receive decent salary dumps.Then there is Roszival.They have to left room to sign Staal to an extension in two years.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 06:35 AM
  #77
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Burke wanted to keep Schneider out of any deal last week because Niedermayer isn't planning on playing next season.Schneider has a $5.625 million cap number.

Malik($2.5 million)and Mara($3 million)are sucking up too much cap space as #5/#6/#7 defensemen.Jason Strudwick at $500,000 is a better buy than those two guys.The Rangers would be getting more bang for their buck if they signed Aaron Miller($1.5 million)or Brent Sopel($1.36 million).Both Miller and Sopel signed 1 year deals.

Lundqvist is priority #1.January 1 is 10 days away.When they get him locked up,then Sather will know how much money will be allocated to the rest of the team.

I would rather the Rangers keep Malik on the roster,send him down to Hartford or include him in a deal to even out the dollars in the trade rather than take back money for next season.The Rangers could find a defenseman in free agent market for a 1 year deal in the $1.5 million range.Tyutin and Girardi are going to receive decent salary dumps.Then there is Roszival.They have to left room to sign Staal to an extension in two years.
Lundqvist, Avery, Rozsival. that is who the rangers should resign. that is all.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 07:37 AM
  #78
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
Lundqvist, Avery, Rozsival. that is who the rangers should resign. that is all.
Rozsival's problematic.

All depends on what other teams offer.

Most of us wanted Nylander re-signed but it would have been foolish to match Edmonton's or Washington's offer.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 08:15 AM
  #79
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Rozsival's problematic.

All depends on what other teams offer.

Most of us wanted Nylander re-signed but it would have been foolish to match Edmonton's or Washington's offer.
Some team could make a big offer for Roszival with the way he's been playing. And I don't know if we could afford to let him go.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 08:53 AM
  #80
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Some team could make a big offer for Roszival with the way he's been playing. And I don't know if we could afford to let him go.
That's it in a nutshell.

I'd assume Buffalo and New Jersey wanted to keep Drury and Gomez, but our offers knocked them out of the game.

Just how much can we afford to pay Roszival and for how long? In 2 or 3 years our top four could be Staal, Sanguinetti, Tyutin and Girardi (not even including Sauer).

Say someone offers him 4 years at $5 million?

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 09:01 AM
  #81
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
That's it in a nutshell.

I'd assume Buffalo and New Jersey wanted to keep Drury and Gomez, but our offers knocked them out of the game.

Just how much can we afford to pay Roszival and for how long? In 2 or 3 years our top four could be Staal, Sanguinetti, Tyutin and Girardi (not even including Sauer).

Say someone offers him 4 years at $5 million?
If he finishes out the second half of the year like he's played the first half, I think some GM could offer that. And I would really hope the Rangers could find a way to match it.

Leads defenseman in goals, tenth in points. 29 years old and only seems to be getting better. Easily the best all-around defenseman on the Rangers from about last March on. Sounds like a hot free agent commodity.

From what I read about Drury and Gomez, Buffalo could have maybe kept Drury but they slept on tendering him a serious offer until it was too late, and I don't think the Devils really had a shot at keeping Gomez with their cap situation.


Last edited by Choice: 12-21-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 09:48 AM
  #82
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
That's it in a nutshell.

I'd assume Buffalo and New Jersey wanted to keep Drury and Gomez, but our offers knocked them out of the game.

Just how much can we afford to pay Roszival and for how long? In 2 or 3 years our top four could be Staal, Sanguinetti, Tyutin and Girardi (not even including Sauer).

Say someone offers him 4 years at $5 million?
Buffalo could have re-signed Drury and Briere for a bargain basement price(compared to what they received)in the summer of 2006.I heard Gomez's agent Ian Pulver say the Devils made no offer for Gomez and they had 8 years to sign Gomez...but didn't

Briere wanted 5 years/$25 million from Buffalo before going to arbitration in 06.Buffalo said no.Buffalo made him that same offer a few days before he was going to be a UFA

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 05:52 PM
  #83
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
On Struds after what he did last night he deserves to keep playing. After Prucha got hit, Struds got into a fight with Voros the person that hit Prucha. Malik would have just skated away like a girl.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 05:54 PM
  #84
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Rozsival's problematic.

All depends on what other teams offer.

Most of us wanted Nylander re-signed but it would have been foolish to match Edmonton's or Washington's offer.
I don't think we can say that. Sather attempted to re-sign Nylander during last season--before he hit free agency--and Nylander refused. We don't know if Sather is going to offer Roszival a contract extension after the first of the year or whether Roszival is even interested in testing the free agent market. For all we know they could finalize a contract within the next month.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 05:58 PM
  #85
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
On Struds after what he did last night he deserves to keep playing. After Prucha got hit, Struds got into a fight with Voros the person that hit Prucha. Malik would have just skated away like a girl.
It's not Malik's job to fight--there are plenty of others like Orr to do it. And there is a real price for having a defenseman take a 5 minute penalty, unlike having your 4th line enforcer do it.

And I know plenty of girls who'd be willing to knock you into next week if you hit their teammate--gender has nothing to do with it.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 06:02 PM
  #86
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
It's not Malik's job to fight--there are plenty of others like Orr to do it. And there is a real price for having a defenseman take a 5 minute penalty, unlike having your 4th line enforcer do it.

And I know plenty of girls who'd be willing to knock you into next week if you hit their teammate--gender has nothing to do with it.
So what if its not Malik's job to fight. Guys like Marleau who got into a fight last night, its not his job but at least he sticks up for teammates. Its all about having heart and Malik dont have that. Heck a guy his size not willing to stick up for teammates, something is wrong. Everytime I see a 5'10 player out muscle him for the puck, it makes me laugh.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 06:31 PM
  #87
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
So what if its not Malik's job to fight. Guys like Marleau who got into a fight last night, its not his job but at least he sticks up for teammates. Its all about having heart and Malik dont have that. Heck a guy his size not willing to stick up for teammates, something is wrong. Everytime I see a 5'10 player out muscle him for the puck, it makes me laugh.
That's just BS and you should know that. Do you think Mike Gartner didn't have heart because he wouldn't fight. And why don't you complain about Jagr--he's even bigger than Malik and he's probably never had a 5 minute major?

Having heart and being a good teammate have nothing to do with fighting. If you want to bash Malik--who's played the same style for his whole career for not fighting--that's great. But, that's not the reason why he's not playing and I'm sure Renney et al would laugh in your face if you ever suggested to any of them personally that was the reason for their displeasure with Malik.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 06:35 PM
  #88
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
On Struds after what he did last night he deserves to keep playing. After Prucha got hit, Struds got into a fight with Voros the person that hit Prucha. Malik would have just skated away like a girl.
Didn't Burns hit Prucha?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 06:41 PM
  #89
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Didn't Burns hit Prucha?
You know chosen, you won't get an answer if you're right. (I didn't see the first two periods so I'm not sure).

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 11:04 AM
  #90
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,639
vCash: 500
It was Burns so that other post came from outer space.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 11:09 AM
  #91
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Didn't Burns hit Prucha?
Yes. Voros hit Prucha at the blueline with another deadly hit later in the game while Strudwick was a foot away, though.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 11:32 AM
  #92
JayMan82
Registered User
 
JayMan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,306
vCash: 500
Regardless of who plays defense for us, they need to spend the whole day on outlet passes and clearing the zone (Strudwick's boneheaded non clear, Jagr's turnover in Minny, Rozy's non clear on the 3 on 5 where it could have easily cost us...) I also saw quite a few other times where it didn't cost us where we had unforced turnovers and failed to clear our defensive zone...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 12:25 PM
  #93
Chris 84
Registered User
 
Chris 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Strudwick at the 2nd goal last night

There would have been threads of abuse if that had been Malik.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 01:35 PM
  #94
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
It was Burns so that other post came from outer space.
Figured you were right--but JOrts aka RCallahan43 wouldn't have been able to bash Malik for not fighting if he had gotten it right.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.