HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most impressive improvement over previous best...

Old
12-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Stonefly

vCash: 500
Most impressive improvement over previous best...

Relative to their positions, which of these guys improvements on the previous best player is most impressive?

Howe
Hull
Orr
Esposito
Gretzky

Last edited by Stonefly: 12-21-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus3 View Post
Relative to their positions, which of these guys improvements on the previous best is most impressive?

Howe
Hull
Orr
Esposito
Gretzky
Not that 164 points is shabby but its hard to argue against Gretzky's jump in points from 164 to 212. Guy Lafleur had quite the jump too from '74 to '75.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Stephen

Obviously Orr.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Stonefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Not that 164 points is shabby but its hard to argue against Gretzky's jump in points from 164 to 212. Guy Lafleur had quite the jump too from '74 to '75.
I went back and edited my op. I meant previous best player. So these guys peak opposed to the best players peak before them. Asked a little awkwardly. Sorry.

Old
12-21-2007, 06:15 PM
The One Who Knocks

Orr. He revolutionized the offensive defenseman

The One Who Knocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 06:30 PM
27roenick97

i'd probably agree w/ orr. gretzky was still just an offensive forward, just way better. orr changed the way the position was played, for the better.

i'm suprised patrick roy isn't on that list, since he's pretty muched credited with creating the butterfly style.

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 07:53 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus3 View Post
Relative to their positions, which of these guys improvements on the previous best player is most impressive?

Howe
Hull
Orr
Esposito
Gretzky
First of all Esposito does not belong on this list. I don't care how many points he scored or his heroics in the 72 series. He was a contempory of Howe, Orr & Hull & was never ever a better player than them. Lafleur probably belongs in Espo's spot.

I like both Howe & Hull. I see that as a draw ( I am a big Hull fan). Orr is IMO the best ever so I see Orr as being more impressive than Hull. However, the gap is not as big as most would say. Orr was great but he got to play against some pretty shabby competition. After Orr it is downhill until we get to Gretzy where there is upward trend but still not to the Orr level.

Just my unbiased opinion.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 08:15 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27roenick97 View Post
i'm suprised patrick roy isn't on that list, since he's pretty muched credited with creating the butterfly style.
i've never heard that.

glenn hall and later tony esposito created the butterfly.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Stonefly

Pappyline I completely agree with you about Esposito. In terms of hockey talent he isn't there with the other guys I listed. Soooo...
I should have waited until I had more time to post what I was actually trying to get at originally.
All of these guys pushed the boundaries of what was there before them offensively speaking.
Howe with his point production.
Hull with his goal scoring production.
Orr with his point production.
Esposito with his point production.
Gretzky with his point production.
Each of these guys bettered the previous best players marks by significant amounts. Maybe HO or Pnep could help with the stats on it. How much did they improve offensive marks, not over their own previous best, but over the marks of the best player before them relative to the position they played. Forward to forward, defenceman to defenceman.
Then looking at that, whose achievement is most impressive?

Old
12-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Bluefan75

I have to think it's between Gretzky and Orr. Howe kind of supports a previous poster's argument about similar previous best, because Howe was alittle better than Richard, but his jump was not like what Orr did.

I do disagree, however that there was that much similarity to Gretzky at his position. People like to discount his totals by saying "everyone scored a lot", but even at that, Gretzky's totals were such that his gap between him and the second person would be solid second line production. 65, 72, 79, 73, 74 and 75 point margins go beyond any kind of statistical explanation. He was just so much better than these other guys.

Orr revolutionized his position, and certainly merits an argument in his favor, as his like will not be seen in a very long time if ever on defense. Gretzky was one of the first to turn back and get the following players involved after gaining the zone, rather than just keep charging forward as everyone was taught, and I don't think Edmonton i the same kind of offensive team without him, in which case I don't think the NHL gets rid of 4-on-4 for conincidental minors for 20 years. In the context of this debate, I can see Orr or Gretzky, and frankly am not sure which of the two would win.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Stonefly

I'd go with Orr as well. He scored like the best forwards and still played outstanding defense.
What was the best offensive season by a defensemen before Orr?
If I'm not mistaken he more than doubled it.