HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Players you play great with...Why?

Old
12-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 500
Players you play great with...Why?

I have this one player on my team that I just play so much better with, it's like all my passes make it straight to his stick, and all his passes make it straight to my stick. Why do people play great with some people? I play good with other players but this one player i play great with.

Also, this is our 1st year playing together, so it's not like we've played together all our lives.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I have this one player on my team that I just play so much better with, it's like all my passes make it straight to his stick, and all his passes make it straight to my stick. Why do people play great with some people? I play good with other players but this one player i play great with.

Also, this is our 1st year playing together, so it's not like we've played together all our lives.
Some players just compliment each other well, play the game at the same speed, see the ice in the same way.

For me, I am not that fast so I can't forecheck like I'd like to. My linemates really get in there and dig so I can just hang high, go in for a shot in the slot and be back in time for the back check, get that trap working.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 09:55 PM
SSM12

My brother and I(im LW, hes D) are CONSTANTLY making sick passes to each other, give and goes and what not. he seems to know what I like as far as passing and he finds the holes that normally people woulndt go to because he knows im good at hitting him in those spots. Im not a play maker at all, but playing with him makes me look like one for sure.

One of my buddies whom ive been friends with for a long time has some good chemistry with me. Again, he knows my tendencies.

as for playing with players I dont know. I tend to compliment players who dont just GO to the net, players who find open spots. Its easy to tell in a shift or so right off the bat if im gonna have some success with them.

SSM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2007, 01:54 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1375
The guys with whom I have the best chemistry are usualy the guys that see the game the same way I do and position themselves where I would be if I wasn't the puck carier. I play better with that kind of player because sometimes he just throw the puck where I think the players should be without looking. When playing with someone I have chemistry with, it works when I play with someone who doesn't position "well" it leads to awful turnovers. BTW, I'm more a passer than a shooter so it helps when a play with someone who crashes the net and shoot oftens. To summerize it all, it all depends on what kind of player you are. You'll be at your best playing with someone who sees the game the same way you do while having complimentary abilities to yours.

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 12:59 PM
ADD-devil950003

when i am at home playing with my buddy's myself and my one friend have a great chemistry. we usually are just playing pick up games, but everytime we are on together we always know what to do for each other. He knows i love to shoot from ANYWHERE and i can always find him down low streaking towards the net. its always awesome when we know we are on together because we usually create a pretty sick play 95% of the time we play together

ADD-devil950003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 11:24 PM
lotus

I don't know if I play amazing with any one particular player that I know, but I do know that I really need teammates of at least my skill level in order to play my best (that sounds a little confusing at first haha). In other words, I'm not the type who, even if I'm going up against 5 people of lesser skill than me, is going to just dominate and put it in the net. I'll beat one of them and then mess up.

I need someone to work the give and go with. I consider my passing and ability to shoot off the pass my strong points. So If I have someone who knows how to get open, I can get them the puck. Or if I have someone who can make good passes, I'll put myself in position to hammer it home.

If I don't have very good teammates on my line though, I'm pretty useless. I've never worked much on my 1 on 1 skill until recently. Now it takes three traffic cones to shut me down!

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Avery4Byng*

For some reason I play ridiculously well with Sidney Crosby. Albeit I had to trade Naslund, Luongo and Bieksa to get him, it will be good in the long run.

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 11:40 AM
the_speedster

IT's way to easy to sound like a poser when answering this but oh well...

The answer depends at which phase of my playing life you ask. Early on once I'd gotten decent I was a brett hull wannabe... I shot from ANYWHERE. At novice levels I needed a player with speed to back off the defense and give me an opening so I could shoot and hopefully score.

At higher levels my speed improved but alot of players also had competing speed so I had to improve my creativity which helped when the scoring chances dropped. I fell in love with forsbergs INSANE style and worked hard to become more of a playmaker so then and now I need shooters.

As an adult most guys in the AA league I play in pretty much know that I'm going to pass 80percent of the time (I've actually been at the goalmouth and still dished off.... weird huh?)

If I were an NHL player I'd love to play with kamenski/lemieux. (although, talent wise I'd probably end up being the stick boy

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Ten

I like playing with bigger forwards. I love playing that powerforward style game, and while I don't have the frame I make up for it in agressiveness and sheer will.

Nothing like driving through a guy coming out of the corner and getting a shot off.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

vCash: 246
Give me a sniper that can return a pass. I am a straight up playmaker. But i can finish too and have very soft hands. Im like a datsyuk of my league. Thats why a great goal scorer with me is perfect cause i can set him up all day.

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 12:25 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I'm a right wing that plays the power forward style of game, I personally play best when I play with a guy that can just shoot the puck from anywhere or a faster/tenacious guy.

I've found I have really bad chemistry problems with players that like to hang onto the puck for an extended period of time, guys that are terrible defensively or just people that aren't all that strong on the puck. I think it's because I get frustrated when I get in a good shooting position and instead of giving it to me they end up losing the puck and I end up having to hustle back.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 12:52 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabsgo_11 View Post
Give me a sniper that can return a pass. I am a straight up playmaker. But i can finish too and have very soft hands. Im like a datsyuk of my league. Thats why a great goal scorer with me is perfect cause i can set him up all day.
I feel the same about my game sep all I need is a shoot first kinda guy on my wing and its all good.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 01:20 AM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeNeedBouwmeester View Post
I'm a right wing that plays the power forward style of game, I personally play best when I play with a guy that can just shoot the puck from anywhere or a faster/tenacious guy.

I've found I have really bad chemistry problems with players that like to hang onto the puck for an extended period of time, guys that are terrible defensively or just people that aren't all that strong on the puck. I think it's because I get frustrated when I get in a good shooting position and instead of giving it to me they end up losing the puck and I end up having to hustle back.
Wow. That sounds like a description of my game. I'm not slow by anymeans, but I don't have end to end, blow by defenders speed. So I work best with a fast player on my line. It allows me to slip in the cracks and get to loose pucks and into shooting lanes. I'm not a shoot first kind of guy per se, as I have the ability to dish out some nice passes. But I prefer to go to the net hard and pick up the garbage.

And I fully fully agree with your whole second paragraph. As if the words came out of my mouth. The only thing is I doubt we would be a good line combo considering I'm not what you would call "defensive minded"

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Gallick

I played on the first line one year and all three of us were pretty similar in size, speed and talent-- the right winger was a little bit taller and the center was a bit shorter but we were all fast. For some reason that I never understood, it was like instant chemistry from the first game we played together. I could practically skate out of our zone with my eyes closed and hurl the puck across the ice and nine out of ten times it would land right on the blade of one of their sticks, and the same would happen with them passing to me. We were all speedy playmakers so it took some time for us to find the scoring touch but once we did it was pretty sick; all three of us scored a lot of goals that year.

Personally as a speedy left wing playmaking type if I had to hand-pick my linemates, I'd want one guy who's just as fast as me to cycle the puck around and for speed off the rush (preferably the center) and one guy (preferably the right wing) who might not necessarily be as fast but with a great shot and can get to the front of the net and stay there so I can put the puck on his stick.

Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I play well with anyone who shoots.

I deflect shots. I play tough in corners and make good tape to tape passes.

Shoot the puck, let me deflect it in.

I played the best with this girl named Katie when I was in Calgary. Both of us were the best skaters, we just KNEW where the other person was going. We were fast enough to get back and were fast enough to keep the puck in.

Now, we just shuffle lines since no one shows up for practice.

01-02-2008, 04:22 PM
BigBearnier

i play pretty well with anyone who can shoot or take a onetimer. I get furious every time i make a perfect tape to tape pass, and the player isn't paying attention or wiffs at it... I typically set up in front of the net as I'm really good stickhandling in close and can screen pretty well...

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 10:46 PM
YogiCanucks

Weather it be on ice or road I play really good with players that like to pass the puck. I myself love to set people up so I usually get a lot of great passing plays. In other words I like to play with players that are similar to me. Great passing, decent shot, good skating, great boards play, responsible defensively.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 12:56 AM
lotus

I think tonight I realized that I like players who move the puck quickly once we're set up in the offensive zone. Or, the give and go style so to say. I picked up a dump in around the back of the net tonight and had a big guy on me the whole way as I cut up the boards and then into the top of the slot ( don't know why nobody was there, it was wide open all the way to the net ). So seeing this i dished it out to the far left point man who was at the boards, and this shook the guy off me and sent two people to him, leaving me wide open at the top of the slot, clear shot to the goalie, clear pass back to me. So he dumped it in.

I was DYING to rip a one timer from there, there was so much open net and nobody in my way. A lot of the time I'll send the puck to someone and then do a quick move into an open area where if they get it back to me fast enough I can get a shot off. But I guess it's mostly a chemistry thing rather than people who move the puck quickly.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 01:09 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

I just need someone who can finish. I had 16 points in 14 games last season, playing with this guy who finished everything. The season before that, I had 4 points in 12 games, playing without a finisher on my line. About 2 or 3 of my points were secondary assists too.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 01:36 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
I just need someone who can finish. I had 16 points in 14 games last season, playing with this guy who finished everything. The season before that, I had 4 points in 12 games, playing without a finisher on my line. About 2 or 3 of my points were secondary assists too.
i normally play goalie, but i played adult league for my friends team as a forward a few years back and they put me on a line with 2 really good players who should've been in a higher level. I remember thinking to myself that it was steve rucchin syndrome from when he was playing with kariya and selanne

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote