HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How can Nylander/Kozlov really be this bad?

Old
12-26-2007, 10:23 AM
FrankM73

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post

The two centers I wanted the Caps to look at where Handzus and Comrie. Handzus got way to much money (I was expecting around 2.5 per) so that isn't a contract I would go near as I think that is worse than the Nylander contract. But Comrie is pretty much putting up the exact same #'s as Nylander and he is doing it for 1.5 per less (2.125 per less in actual salary).
Jasper: I wanted Handzus too in the offseason and thought GMGM would go for him based on value... although his situation is different in LA, his stats are worse so far.

Handzus
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...ayerId=342&out

Nylander
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...ayerId=686&out

the only good thing about Nylander right now is that he is helping out Backstrom and if he does that in the next two years and puts up so points then I'm all for that...

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 10:32 AM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I am not sure how you can say that? The Caps goals against problem is largely in their atrocious Save %. They have the occasional blown coverage because they are still young and learning. However, the overall play of the defense has been the most improved phase of the game on the team and the most competitive part of their game night in and night out.

They have cut the shots against way down. The penalty killing is leaps better. They are now providing offense and making plays. I take the description of "real stud" to mean a primary defenseman. They already have the minutes eaters that they are going to be using. They need a veteran, but not a top 3.

They need a RW that can somehow gel the Caps collection of talent into some consistant offense. We can easily toss last night's loss in Olie's lap for the 3 goals in 8 shots, but the fact is had they taken advantage of their territorial domination and advantage in shots to score a couple of goals in the first half of the hockey game, they win that game.

Their power play remains pitiful. Their 5 on 5 scoring is erratic. When you are going to throw the kitchen sink at the opposition like BB likes to do, you have to score. This way of playing hockey controls the play, but when it breaks down it gives up quality chances and odd man rushes. The longer they can hold off the Caps onslaught the better chance they have to win the game. That is what bit the Caps last night. That game should have been 2-0 by halfway of the first and 3-1 by halfway of the second. Not 2-0 Habs.
to put stats to it:
PP: 17th
PK: 16th
S/G: 12th
SA/G: 11th
SVP%: 27th
SHP%: 25th
FOW%: 19th
PIMs: 11th

the two that stand out are Save % and Shooting % to me!

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 12:50 PM
txpd

Yes...sv% and shooting%. shooting percentage is a lot about luck. schultz has it right now and kozlov does not. when you are second on an nhl team in shots one goal, 3 goals is hard to imagine. just by throwing the puck at the net regular the puck is going to go in some. the "off and in" shot.

The next thing on the scale to a blocked shot is a deflected shot and even the worst shot can go in when deflected.

As long as Kozlov keeps the +/- minus and assist game going like he has, I am content to wait for the shots to start falling for him.

Kolzig's sv% is not bad luck as much as poor play. if the Caps get the sv% up to middle of the pack they are in the playoffs.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote