HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The first move will be for a?

View Poll Results: What will the first move be for?
Scoring established forward 23 27.71%
Offensive defenseman 15 18.07%
Defensive d-man 26 31.33%
Hartford player 19 22.89%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-26-2007, 11:23 AM
  #26
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,263
vCash: 500
Roszival is a very good player but he's no Number 1 d-man IMO and not more important than Avery at least at this point. I would aim at signing Avery before Roszival. Sean is much more the unique player--we're not going to find the likes of him around very easily--a mixture of skill, hitting, agitation. He's the kind of player that gives a team an identity and other teams someone to think about when they play us. As I say Roszival is good however there is likely to be several other d-men available of around his ability come the summer. Dan Boyle?--annyone? I also think that 5 mil might be a bit too pricey. Another thought is if the Rangers and Jagr are parting company that's one less reason to bring Roszival (and some other vets both on D and at forward) back.

To comment on Strudwick--I'm a little tired of hearing that this guy or that guy is great in the locker room (Orr and Valiquette are others--and Weekes the last couple years) when they're not so hot on the ice. I'm not happy with our veteran UFA to be d-men particularly Malik, Mara and Strudwick. At this point I see no good reason to bring any of them back.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 11:30 AM
  #27
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Roszival is a very good player but he's no Number 1 d-man IMO and not more important than Avery at least at this point. I would aim at signing Avery before Roszival. Sean is much more the unique player--we're not going to find the likes of him around very easily--a mixture of skill, hitting, agitation. He's the kind of player that gives a team an identity and other teams someone to think about when they play us. As I say Roszival is good however there is likely to be several other d-men available of around his ability come the summer. Dan Boyle?--annyone? I also think that 5 mil might be a bit too pricey. Another thought is if the Rangers and Jagr are parting company that's one less reason to bring Roszival (and some other vets both on D and at forward) back.

To comment on Strudwick--I'm a little tired of hearing that this guy or that guy is great in the locker room (Orr and Valiquette are others--and Weekes the last couple years) when they're not so hot on the ice. I'm not happy with our veteran UFA to be d-men particularly Malik, Mara and Strudwick. At this point I see no good reason to bring any of them back.
Agree on Strudwick. He's started what, ten games in a row? Unnacceptable. Get Klesla or whoever in here, Strudwick doesn't belong in any team's top six.

As for Roszie v. Avery, I have to say I think Roszie would be much harder player to replace. Where are you going to find a top-pairing defenseman who is above average in pretty much every facet of the game? I think Roszie is much better than Boyle. Granted I haven't seen Boyle play all that much and I think he is better than Roszie in the attacking zone, but Roszie's mistakes in his own end are becoming increasingly rare.

Avery is a 50-point agitator. Don't get me wrong, i love having him on our team and the difference between when he is in the lineup and isn't is night and day, but there are a lot of similar players out there.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 12:14 PM
  #28
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
If he keeps playing like he has the first half of the year I think that will be about market value. I don't know how they are going to resign all three either, but here's hoping they can.

This would be my order of priority-
1. Henke
2. Roszival
3. Avery
Considering the Rangers stark contrast in records with and without Avery, he takes the priority after Henke.
Quote:
I have to say I think Roszie would be much harder player to replace. Where are you going to find a top-pairing defenseman who is above average in pretty much every facet of the game?
That's really a part of the problem. Rozsival is NOT a top-pairing defenseman. He is on the Rangers, but not on many other teams. Also, I think that the pruff is in the pudding about who is harder to replace. For whatever reason, Avery makes the Rangers go.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 12:31 PM
  #29
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Considering the Rangers stark contrast in records with and without Avery, he takes the priority after Henke.

That's really a part of the problem. Rozsival is NOT a top-pairing defenseman. He is on the Rangers, but not on many other teams. Also, I think that the pruff is in the pudding about who is harder to replace. For whatever reason, Avery makes the Rangers go.
This has been a breakout year for Rosie. From last year's playoffs up to this year he has played like a top-pairing defenseman IMO.

As far Avery, I can't disagree. For some reason it's a different team when he's in the lineup. Hopefully they can retain all three.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:10 PM
  #30
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Agree on Strudwick. He's started what, ten games in a row? Unnacceptable. Get Klesla or whoever in here, Strudwick doesn't belong in any team's top six.

As for Roszie v. Avery, I have to say I think Roszie would be much harder player to replace. Where are you going to find a top-pairing defenseman who is above average in pretty much every facet of the game? I think Roszie is much better than Boyle. Granted I haven't seen Boyle play all that much and I think he is better than Roszie in the attacking zone, but Roszie's mistakes in his own end are becoming increasingly rare.

Avery is a 50-point agitator. Don't get me wrong, i love having him on our team and the difference between when he is in the lineup and isn't is night and day, but there are a lot of similar players out there.

On the subject of Avery--all I can say is start naming them. He's obviously a much better player than the Ruuttu's and his ilk and what passes for other agitators around the league. Darcy Tucker maybe? Better player than Neil though not as big or as solid a hitter. He gets under other teams skins. At home that gets the fans into the game--on the road sometimes it can help to rally the team. He singlehandedly turns some games into wars and usually we wind up winning those games.

On Roszvial-Boyle--there are elements in Boyle's game that at least make him equal to Roszival.He is a more aggressive player for one. Beyond that is a Stanley Cup in which Boyle was Tampa's best defenseman. Not to get me wrong I think Roszival is a good player and wouldn't have a problem with him coming back but 5 mil seems steep and Avery comes in second after Lundqvist.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:17 PM
  #31
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
I was gonna throw out Neil's name. There aren't many guys who play that role who provide the same offense that Avery does though.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 01:28 PM
  #32
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
I was gonna throw out Neil's name. There aren't many guys who play that role who provide the same offense that Avery does though.

There aren't. The one thing that worries me about Avery though is that he has the potential one day to blow up--and if it happens it probably won't be very pretty. Attitude wise he's not that far away from a Theo Fleury. Theo had other problems besides--drinking etc. That attitude helps makes him what he is though--and that can be a very effective hockey player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 02:04 PM
  #33
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
There aren't. The one thing that worries me about Avery though is that he has the potential one day to blow up--and if it happens it probably won't be very pretty. Attitude wise he's not that far away from a Theo Fleury. Theo had other problems besides--drinking etc. That attitude helps makes him what he is though--and that can be a very effective hockey player.
I doubt Avery has demons like Fleury had.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 03:19 PM
  #34
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I doubt Avery has demons like Fleury had.
To be more specific--one can look at them both and might see a certain level of immaturity at least in some of their actions on and/or off the ice. Fleury had some substance abuse problems for sure, a very bad childhood, crones disease--these are not things I would call demons.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 03:41 PM
  #35
otto1219
Registered User
 
otto1219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I doubt Avery has demons like Fleury had.
i dont know about that.... those pictures of avery wearing nail polish from the daily news the other day have me pretty concerned....

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 06:24 PM
  #36
JerseyRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,606
vCash: 500
I voted defensive d-man but as much as I'd like to see it happen I got a feeling it won't. Hope I'm wrong!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.