HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

TRADED: Doug Weight, Michal Birner, 7th in '08 for Andy McDonald

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2007, 07:16 AM
  #101
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
Tkachuck is a better stand alone player than McDonald, it would better serve the Blues to match McDonald with Kariya or else you might not get any more out of McDonald than the Ducks were getting. Tkachuck should at least continue to produce as a second line center.
I VERY much disagree with this statement.

1) Keith Tkachuk has NEVER been what I would classify as a "stand alone" player. He is a pure finisher and needs somebody on his line to create the plays for him(more specifically; he needs somebody on his line to create the "garbage" that he has made a living off of cleaning up). Furthermore; as we are already starting to see, Tkachuk simply doesn't have the "base skill" to be a "stand alone center". There are a lot of plays he is simply incapable of executing because he doesn't have the passing or puck-handling skills to pull it off. Tkachuk desperately needs a legit playmaking winger on his line to be consistently effective.

MacDonald is the exact opposite. He is the type of player that can dangle the puck for hours on end and create plays out of nothing based simply on his speed and skill. The problem is that he isn't a real "finisher" and won't put up points if he doesn't have a scorer to play with.

OF the 2 of them; MacD is very much more the "stand alone" player due to his raw skill and top-end speed.

2) The Blues currently have 4 wingers that I would claissify as being "better" than Bertuzzi right now(Kariya, Boyes, Perron, Stempniak), plus Martin Rucinsky and David Backes who I would put as relatively on par with Bert. Bertuzzi is NOT the same player he was in Vancouver, and probably will never get back to playing at that level.

More importantly on this issue; all of the Blues top 4 wingers are better fits for MacDonald's style of play than Bertuzzi is. As I said elsewhere; Bertuzzi is a pure PF that likes to plant his behind in front of the net and collect garbage(and he is very effective at this when he plays with an edge; his current problem being that he has lost that edge). He doesn't have overly good "measureable" skills. Especially in Stempniak and Perron's case(both of whom play very similar games to Selanne); the wingers the Blues could match MacDonald up with are HUGE upgrades in terms of pure "skill" and would give MacDonald the offensive counterpart he needs to be most effective.

The best thing for Andy Murray to do is get Tkachuk back between Kariya and Boyes(that line is a legit "Super Line"(meaning a line capable of producing 100+ goals) and put MacD on the 2nd line with some combo of Perron, Stempniak and Backes. That gives us 2 very solid offensive lines and creates the offensive depth that AM has been looking for.

kimzey59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 09:16 AM
  #102
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gutter Alley
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Watch Dougie become an Hart candidate now
I hope Dougie has a great season. Except when Anaheim is playing us, St. Louis isn't playing for the right now, they are working towards the future and anyway you cut it, Doug Weight was not in St. Louis plans past this season. Maybe that would have changed come August if he still wasn't signed and it was obvious none of the kids were going to make the team but realistically he isn't on this team next year.

McDonald will be and more importantly he is a bridge to 08/09 and very possibly longer and that is the kind of move we were needing.

Doug Weight has always been a class act in St. Louis and he will continue to be in Anaheim. He may or may not be successful in Anaheim, but his classiest act for St. Louis was agreeing to waive his NTC for the betterment of the team a week before Christmas. If that isn't commitment to this franchise, I don't know what is (yes yes, save scoring like he is 30 again, save it)

I expect he'll be agreat leadership presence in Anaheim and wish him good luck in the future and again, I hope for a quick offer of a post-career position within the Blues because he's the type of guy who belongs in the front office for our team.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 05:45 PM
  #103
Checker*
 
Checker*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Watch Dougie become an Hart candidate now
I'm sorry but is there any good reason why we have some Maple Leaf fan trolling our board with messages of how we will regret the day we traded Doug Weight (who this person obviously still thinks is in his prime)?

No?

Didn't think so.



Anyway, we'll have to see how this McDonald trade works out for us. His first game was more impressive than Weight's looked save one or two games this year. Could he still go the way of Cajanek/Rucinsky/Backman/and apparently Brewer and be a forum whipping boy over the next season and a half? Sure. Do the past concussions scare me a bit? You bet. However, this was a trade that just made too much sense to pass on. If McDonald can recapture here anything close to the form he had with Selanne in Anaheim, this is the legit top 6 center I've been wanting. With Tkachuk on a 10 game + slump, Weight looking done, McClement being a huge letdown this season, and Ryan Johnson having Ryan Johnson hands, something needed to be done to get a productive centerman. As far as this Doug Weight and the Hart nonsense, I think that has just about as much chance of happening as the Maple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup this year.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 06:16 PM
  #104
Go_Krog*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
I'm sorry but is there any good reason why we have some Maple Leaf fan trolling our board with messages of how we will regret the day we traded Doug Weight (who this person obviously still thinks is in his prime)?

No?

Didn't think so.



Anyway, we'll have to see how this McDonald trade works out for us. His first game was more impressive than Weight's looked save one or two games this year. Could he still go the way of Cajanek/Rucinsky/Backman/and apparently Brewer and be a forum whipping boy over the next season and a half? Sure. Do the past concussions scare me a bit? You bet. However, this was a trade that just made too much sense to pass on. If McDonald can recapture here anything close to the form he had with Selanne in Anaheim, this is the legit top 6 center I've been wanting. With Tkachuk on a 10 game + slump, Weight looking done, McClement being a huge letdown this season, and Ryan Johnson having Ryan Johnson hands, something needed to be done to get a productive centerman. As far as this Doug Weight and the Hart nonsense, I think that has just about as much chance of happening as the Maple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup this year.
learn to take a joke man.

and as had been said before, i think this is a trade that will work out well for both teams. mcdonald wasnt going to do any better than he had been in Anaheim but could be a good fit in st louis.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 07:26 AM
  #105
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gutter Alley
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Krog View Post
learn to take a joke man.

and as had been said before, i think this is a trade that will work out well for both teams. mcdonald wasnt going to do any better than he had been in Anaheim but could be a good fit in st louis.
Agreed. I won't go out there and state there is automatic animosity towards Weight now that he has been dealt because people were pretty much down on him already because of the lacklustre season he's had so far this year. Maybe I am wrong for this but I cheered Carolina on when Weight was dealt there. I did the same with Edmonton when Pronger was dealt there, in the finals and even though the Thrashers were piss poor I rooted for them as well with Walt playing.

When St. Louis is eliminated I'll be cheering for the Ducks (begrudginly because I really dislike Burke and Bertuzzi and what Scotty did was arrogance in my opinion) to get Dougie a 2nd Stanley Cup Ring.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2007, 09:48 AM
  #106
fcpremix88
Registered User
 
fcpremix88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,836
vCash: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
Agreed. I won't go out there and state there is automatic animosity towards Weight now that he has been dealt because people were pretty much down on him already because of the lacklustre season he's had so far this year. Maybe I am wrong for this but I cheered Carolina on when Weight was dealt there. I did the same with Edmonton when Pronger was dealt there, in the finals and even though the Thrashers were piss poor I rooted for them as well with Walt playing.

When St. Louis is eliminated I'll be cheering for the Ducks (begrudginly because I really dislike Burke and Bertuzzi and what Scotty did was arrogance in my opinion) to get Dougie a 2nd Stanley Cup Ring.
Gotta agree. Doug Weight will always be one of my favorite players, and I hope he retires and gets a front office job in St. Louis.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 11:34 PM
  #107
rawrmachine
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
4 pts in 2 games for the Blues so far for AMac.

rawrmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 06:31 AM
  #108
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrmachine View Post
4 pts in 2 games for the Blues so far for AMac.

McDonald on pace to score 164 points for the season. Not bad.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 07:43 PM
  #109
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,055
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
McDonald on pace to score 164 points for the season. Not bad.
? In a full 82 game season he has on pace for 47 points. Now if he played 82 games with the Blues yes it would be 164. Need to clarify that better next time.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 08:10 PM
  #110
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
? In a full 82 game season he has on pace for 47 points. Now if he played 82 games with the Blues yes it would be 164. Need to clarify that better next time.
It's just a joke. Wasn't meant to be a serious projection. He isn't going to ever score 164 points in one season.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 08:18 PM
  #111
General Veers
Registered User
 
General Veers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
It's just a joke. Wasn't meant to be a serious projection. He isn't going to ever score 164 points in one season.
He would if he was Alfie! (sorry, stupid joke from the main board, couldn't resist!)

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 06:18 PM
  #112
Jarnevic
Registered User
 
Jarnevic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: tornado alley
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
So will they be handing out the Doug Weight figurines to the first 10,000 on Feb. 2?

(He'll be in STL the night before with the Ducks.)

Jarnevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 07:11 PM
  #113
General Veers
Registered User
 
General Veers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
They'll hand out the figures as normal and Doug will get a huge ovation when he's announced in the starting lineup, IMO.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 08:48 PM
  #114
Jarnevic
Registered User
 
Jarnevic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: tornado alley
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
Cool. I figured as much. I'll be over for those two games.

Jarnevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.