HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Draft day: Crosby or Lindros?

View Poll Results: Draft day: Crosby vs. Lindros
Crosby 27 32.53%
Lindros 56 67.47%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Don't forget how much higher scoring the Q was back then. From Lemieux's draft year to Lindros's, the QMJHL point leader averaged 197 points, while the OHL's leading scorer averaged 146.

It's still a big edge offensively for Lemieux, but I think it's something that could be mitigated by a better all-around game. What really works for Lemieux is that he was a big strong kid on top of all his skill. Then again, Lindros was so physically dominant that it had teams drooling over the possibilites. I could see both Lindros and Lemieux being drafted ahead of Gretzky.
Not only that, Lindros missed 13 games playing for team Canada and was also almost a full year younger than Lemieux was in his draft year. For most of his draft year, Lindros was 17 years old. At 70 games, Lindros gets 183 pts, which is very similar to Lemieux's point total as a 17 year old. Give Lindros that almost 1 year of additional development and considering the OHL was a much better defensive league in the early 90's than the Q in the mid 80's and that difference in points doesn't seem nearly as impressive as it may seem. Put the guys in the same league, at the exact same age, at exactly the same time, and I think there is a scoring race. Lemieux probably wins, but I don't think he destroys Lindros.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
His career would have been saved if he stayed on Quebec. Lindros it is.

He's just the most well rounded talented player I've seen clips of.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Based on Junior careers only (not what we know now) it would be Lindros over Crosby, Lindros over Gretzky, Lindros over Lemieux. Cannot think of any player who would come close to Lindros.
Pre-draft, but maybe Orr. Not sure how his physical game was as a junior, but at 17 he set the junior record for points by a d-man in an era when most juniors completed their eligibility. If you favoured d-men, Orr might be viable, possibly Potvin as well.

12-24-2007, 09:43 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Pre-draft, but maybe Orr. Not sure how his physical game was as a junior, but at 17 he set the junior record for points by a d-man in an era when most juniors completed their eligibility. If you favoured d-men, Orr might be viable, possibly Potvin as well.
I forgot Bobby Orr in my rant. I agree with you ,Orr would have been picked ahead of Lindros.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 10:03 PM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
if you only saw them as teenagers, you'd be crazy not to take lindros.

the real question: if you were quebec in '91 and both crosby and lindros were available, who would you take? would you call lindros's bluff? would you take the kid out of the Q? would you take lindros and then trade him to the team with the second overall pick?
If I am the Nordiques, I always take the kid out of the Q ahead of an OHL Anglophone who doesn't want to play in Quebec City. Passing on Crosby in that situation is almost as stupid as the Houston Texans passing on Vince Young ...

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2007, 10:10 PM
VisionQuest*

Within the context, it has to be Lindros for me, no question.

btw, this is a great thread/inquiry.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Stuart McDonald

Interesting thread. Lindros I guess although I'd have liked to have seen all of the psychological tests before drafting. I'll bet Crosby killed Lindros on all of those. Oh, and maybe a bone density scan on the skulls of both players. Ha ha..just kidding.

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2007, 03:25 PM
FDBluth

I'm sure almost every GM would have taken Lindros for the unbelievable combination of skills that he had, even if Crosby would have had more points (he most definitely would have had a significant edge had they played in the same era). They would have been wrong, however.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Licou

This is a real no brainer

Lindros all the way. With the somewhat same level talent between the two, it would be ill advised to ingnore the "crap in your pants" factor Lindros brings to the opposition.

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleh View Post
He won 1, in 90-91. That's one less than Crosby, who won it back to back years in the Q. However, Lindros was spending time playing on real best on best national teams and dominating.
(clear throat) In other words, Lindros held out from SS Marie to play for Oshawa. Bon and Carl wouldnt have it any other way

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:37 AM
skunt

GMs (and myself) find power forwards incredibly sexy. He would go #1 without a doubt.

consider the following: THN's 1991 draft preview lists Lindros at 6'5" 228 lbs. Today, with guys like Zdeno Chara on the scene, that doesn't look as impressive as it did back then. He didn't just have "good size" - he was bigger than all but a few players in the NHL at that time - at the tender age of 18.

Lindros' size-skill combo would just be too enticing to pass up - despite that fact that Crosby (and I think scouts would recognize this) is the more "talented" player.

skunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 02:13 AM
flyin_finn
Fighter Jet Pilot

Lindros wasn't much less skilled than Crosby, and what he might have lacked on that he made up with the 6,5" and 228 pound frame and hitting skills. Leadership-wise I'd also go for Lindros.

flyin_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 09:12 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
(clear throat) In other words, Lindros held out from SS Marie to play for Oshawa. Bon and Carl wouldnt have it any other way
Don't know where you are going with this re the Soo, but are you aware that Gretzky was NOT the first over-all in his junior draft year (as Lindros was) and that Gretzky ALSO said he would not report to the Soo. (altho he eventually did).

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Don't know where you are going with this re the Soo, but are you aware that Gretzky was NOT the first over-all in his junior draft year (as Lindros was) and that Gretzky ALSO said he would not report to the Soo. (altho he eventually did).
The fact that I didnt know that (if it is true) speaks volumes on the difference between the fuss Gretzky may have made over that compared to Lindros. The 2nd time was a charm too, he also held out from Quebec so it's pretty hard to defend him and his family's side when the same mistake is repeated

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote