HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A good read from "The Forth Period" re: Brad Richards and Montreal

Old
12-27-2007, 08:46 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
The Montreal Canadiens are believed to be one of the teams interested in Richards, and may be willing to part with goalie Cristobal Huet as part of a package deal.

Huet, who can become an unrestricted free agent after this season, currently leads all Eastern Conference goalies in fan-balloting for the upcoming All-Star Game, despite having missed some action due to a pull groin muscle.

The Habs are also looking to trade winger Michael Ryder, who has been off to a horrible offensive start to the season.

Last week, Feaster told the St. Petersburg Times if things don't turn by Christmas, ownership might start cutting salaries.

as per TheFourthPeriod.com

That's the important part of the article, at least. It's not stupid at all, might even work. They are looking for a #1 goaltender (Huet) and someone to "replace" the forward that they give up (Ryder).

So in essence it's Huet + Ryder for B. Richards.

Do it.
We'd have to throw them a 1st Rounder or Matt D'Agostini or something, at least.. to compensate for the fact that both are UFA's. Unless they do one of those sign and trades with Cristobal, ensuring he'll be a #1 in Tampa for a few years.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 09:31 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

LOL why would they give Richards for Huet ? Huet is a UFA at the end of the season.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Beginfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
The article talks about Montreal is in interested in trading Huet in a deal for Richards. Also mentions how Dallas is rumored to be offering Turco for St-Louis. In the same article they Feaster has no intention of moving Lecavalier.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tbl071208.html

What's a better deal for Tampa Bay

Turco in a deal for St-Louis

or

Huet in a deal for Richards who make 7.8 million

Personally if Tampa is looking to shed salary the Montreal deal seems more likely.
Huet makes less then Turco and Richards makes more then St-Louis

Discuss
Brad Richards would be a tremendous asset for the Habs... But I do not think that the lightning can let him go.

Beginfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 10:18 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginfan22 View Post
Brad Richards would be a tremendous asset for the Habs... But I do not think that the lightning can let him go.
I think something is going to happen in Tampa, at the deadline. I mean when you have St-Louis,Lacavalier, and Richards, and this team is mediocre at best now 3 seasons in a row, something has got to give. Feaster needs breathing room (CAP)

Reminds me of Atlanta who despite Kovalchuk, Hossa and Savard (all 'star' players all other teams drool for) could not even make the playoffs.

Granted, the best d-man on the team is injured (Boyle) for a bit...

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Because of their self imposed salary cap, they really don't have a choice. Of the big 3 in Tampa, trading Richards makes the most sense.

Vinny can be considered the best player in the NHL at the moment, so he isn't going anywhere. By trading St.Louis you are breaking up the chemistry he has with Vinny, which IMO would weaken their team.

That leaves Richards and his rather large hmmm...contract.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 10:34 AM
MTL-rules

I really really hope this trade won't happen... I don't want Richards's 7,8mil cap hit, he doesn't deserve that kind of money and we would be stuck with his ridiculous salary... If another them wants to take on his salary go for it... In this cap world, it would be a huge mistake to get Richards.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:06 PM
FisherKing

Well, the first question, which has been raised by a couple of posters, is whether Richards would waive his NTC to even allow him to be traded to the Habs. Given that Montreal hasn't historically been a favorite destination for high end free agents, I seriously doubt that Richards would agree to be traded to the Habs, which of course if correct, really is the end of the discussion. San Jose or Anaheim or Detroit would seem more like the type of destination which would cause Richards to waive his NTC. As one poster pointed out, Richards would probably only waive his NTC if he's going to a contender. Of course this, like all the other posts here, is pure speculation.

If a trade with the Habs did occur (ie. Richards was prepared to waive his NTC) then Huet being a UFA at the end of the season would require additional trade bait, and probably a conditional pick and perhaps even a middle/high end prospect if Huet isn't resigned by the Bolts. Although I hate the thought of trading Koivu, I think the poster who proposed Huet and Koivu for Richards comes the closest to getting the deal done from the Bolts pov. If you added a conditional second plus a decent prospect (say Grabs or Fisher) the Bolts might bite. Again however, it really depends on whether Richards would be prepared to waive his NTC.

My 2 cents... and that's about what it's worth.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 12:49 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

It's the battle of the NTC's

Koivu has one
Richards has one
Marleau has one

Who else???

All theses players are on speculative trades...geez...hockey is no fun anymore...

Koivu to TBL
Richards to SJ
Marleau to MTL

Still I'd prefer Richards, constant solid points I'd take any day.

What would be the odds???

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 01:09 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
It's the battle of the NTC's

Koivu has one
Richards has one
Marleau has one

Who else???

All theses players are on speculative trades...geez...hockey is no fun anymore...

Koivu to TBL
Richards to SJ
Marleau to MTL

Still I'd prefer Richards, constant solid points I'd take any day.

What would be the odds???
No.

Koivu to SJ, with his buddy Rivet
Marleau to Tampa
Richards to Montreal

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 07:02 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
No.

Koivu to SJ, with his buddy Rivet
Marleau to Tampa
Richards to Montreal
Not that it will ever happen, but that actually might work, and still leave the possibility of trading Huet to Tampa in a separate deal if they really want him. On the other hand, it does leave open the option of hanging onto Huet for the rest of the year which wouldn't hurt my feelings any. I really think Price (and the Habs) could benefit from Huet's experience particularly during Price's first year in the NHL. If Koivu was traded, I'd like to think Gainey would try to put him with a team that gives him a shot at winning the Cup. Dunno what Marleau's contract is, so dunno if getting Marleau while giving up Richards would meet Tampa's goal of reducing salary. You still have the issue of whether Richards would waive his NTC and that might also be an issue with Marleau, but value wise it's not that bad a deal for all 3 teams imho. The eternal cap question of course always exists and is the biggest problem with making effective trades in today's NHL which ultimately might make 3 way trades more popular or at least more feasible for GMs.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
If the Habs were willing to offer Briere 6.5-7M a year then Richards isn't that much of a stretch imo. Tho it's a lot of money, where else can we get a #1 C..and he speaks some french too!
Yeah, and so does Koivu i heard...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
the board would crash because Brad Richards is now a MINUS 20

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
The Habs drafted Ribeiro instead of Richards few years ago...
PUKE...any time I hear that name I puke!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 10:26 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
From what i see in the forum , there are more and more fans that share my opinion on Koivu .

I was for trading Zednik , when most of the fans were not
I was for trading Ryder last season , when most of the fans were not
I was also for trading Koivu + Ryder few years back for Lecavalier , before he became the elite player he's now .
I was for trading Rivet and was also for trading Souray ( since i was sure he wasn't to resign with the Habs )

I was furious when Samsonov was signed , happy when Hammer was .

So at the end , i often went againts the general opinion , but when you look at them , my opinions aren't that bad .

Weird how there are no francophones on your list...just saying....

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 10:27 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
From what i see in the forum , there are more and more fans that share my opinion on Koivu .

I was for trading Zednik , when most of the fans were not
I was for trading Ryder last season , when most of the fans were not
I was also for trading Koivu + Ryder few years back for Lecavalier , before he became the elite player he's now .
I was for trading Rivet and was also for trading Souray ( since i was sure he wasn't to resign with the Habs )

I was furious when Samsonov was signed , happy when Hammer was .

So at the end , i often went againts the general opinion , but when you look at them , my opinions aren't that bad .
You are frickin' psychic. You must make millions on proline

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
LOL why would they give Richards for Huet ? Huet is a UFA at the end of the season.
that is exactly why they would do it. Huet being an expiring contract makes him worth a lot to Tampa if they are trying to dump salary.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Rayne*

Tampa needs to lose one of the Big Three and gain depth in other positions that are lacking. They could get a really good return for any one of those three players, get some players that can stabilize them on defense and perhaps in goal as well, while still keeping two of the three.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 11:10 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTWymanFan View Post
Weird how there are no francophones on your list...just saying....
Do you really think that trading Bouillon , Lapierre , Bégin , Brisebois , Latendresse or Dandeneault would bring us a good return ?

Not me

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Do you really think that trading Bouillon , Lapierre , Bégin , Brisebois , Latendresse or Dandeneault would bring us a good return ?
Lapierre and Latendresse should be considered keepers anyways. The rest are really just dead weight (not so much Dandy).

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 11:30 PM
couz

I'll say one thing, after watching TB tonight its evident that they need to improve their depth big time.

I can't name more than two guys on their defense, I can't name their 3rd and 4rth lines.

That team is horrible if, it wasn't for Lecavalier and St.Louis that team would be dead last in the NHL.

So, I think its becoming quite clear that Feaster has to trade either Richards or St.Louis for depth.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 11:43 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Lapierre and Latendresse should be considered keepers anyways. The rest are really just dead weight (not so much Dandy).
i agree . I like both Latendresse and Lapierre .

A lot of fans don't like Latendresse or see him in the AHL . The guy is playing on 3 th or 4 th line , is only 20 years old , and he has 10 goals ! 8 of them at ES !

How many 3 th - 4 th liners have 10 goals in the NHL ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 02:05 AM
Mr. Hab

Well...if I'm Tampa's GM, I'd want to receive 2 good, young players and a 2nd or 3rd Round pick for Brad Richards..., no?

And, what if...Lecavalier actually wants to sign with our HABS in 2009???

Richards or...Lecavalier?

Lecavalier as a HAB with a 5 year, $8-9mil/year or $10 mil/year contract...?

What would stop Lecavalier from being a HAB?, besides the high taxes, snow/snowstorms, constant media/pressure???? (his late grand-father admired "#4" Beliveau). Wouldn't he WANT to be a HAB? He knows that every Montrealer (or almost!) would want to see him in a HABS jersey...I wish someone here on these Boards has a connection to Lecavalier!! (tell us that there is a good chance that he might come to Montreal!!).

I wish I had a crystal ball!! Tampa re-signs Lecavalier? or...he comes to Montreal?!!
I would really hate it if he went somewhere else (NY Rangers? Anaheim? Detroit?...).

Try to get Richards...NOW.
OR
Wait till 2009 and hope that Lecavalier won't re-sign with Tampa, and also...hope he'll sign with Montreal.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Fozz

Let's face it, getting Richards to Montreal starts with Plekanec going the other way.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Tuggy

I don't want Richards for that type of cap hit.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 09:20 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Interesting...how many more years at 7.8M for Richards?
His 2nd year of a 5 year package at 7.8mm per. He is signed through the 2010/11 season and is a UFA after that

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote