HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

And it died......Post-mortem part 1

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2004, 04:39 PM
momentai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
having two vets and being able to move one of them. I've been flip flopping on who I'd like to keep and I was really like Cross's game until the Dal debacle and then his back became wonky again.

For durability reasons PLUS he got the best out of Semi and Bergy, I'll go with Igor
This is a valid point as well. Cross' back acted up late this year... and who knows if that is a situation that will rectify itself over the summer. It's not like he's getting any younger.. So that's another consideration to take in as well.

Old
04-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
having two vets and being able to move one of them. I've been flip flopping on who I'd like to keep and I was really like Cross's game until the Dal debacle and then his back became wonky again.

For durability reasons PLUS he got the best out of Semi and Bergy, I'll go with Igor

Just brought BP' '04 and I'm totally into that but the defense will be an interesting topic to explore at another date. Staios-Brew-Bergy should be three of the top six. Hopefully Semi gets more rope next season. But do we keep both of the aforementioned vets or just one? Will Smith be back and will one of Lynch or Woywitka get a push? Or will Greene be inked come into camp kicking ass and force himself onto the team.

Can't wait for next season
hehe, me too!

Question: Staios as a top three defender? From what I saw, it looked like Staios got tired with the amount of minutes he was being played. A solid #4 or 5, but I would think that Staios would get tired as #3.

Old
04-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Matts

Yeah

well MacT took turns giving Dmen big minutes and I don't think Staios ever recovered.

I'm gonna say it now that all things considered equal, ie he doesn't take a whole lot of penatlies, Brew is gonna play at least 25 min a night next year and hopefully he holds up better than Staios did

Old
04-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Superfluous U

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Question: how about a trade of Smith (if we can't sign him) plus Philly pick for Toronto's Kaberle? (I have no idea if that is fair value or not). Maybe Izzy and Smith for Kaberle? I think Kaberle could be that smooth puck moving dman.
I don't know. I have been less than impressed with Kaberle this year. I think he took a step back. He used to get a lot of time by virtue of TO's defense being pretty weak, but since they got Leetch, he's been pushed down the depth chart. There were some games where he was a healthy scratch a little while back. Quinn was playing Aki Berg ahead of him. Could just be an off year for him, a little blip, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with him playing 23 minutes a game

Old
04-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Oiler_Fan

There are two young defensemen in Lynch and Woywitka who may be close to making the team. Obviously Ferguson is the odd man out here. I doubt Brewer gets moved and the Oilers will likely qualify him leading up to the lockout. Smith as a draft day trade doesn't seem like a stretch to open at least an injury spot for one of the young guys. That would leave the Oilers depth at defense as (not specifically the order, but allow me to play favorites):

Brewer
Staios
Ulanov
Semenov
Bergeron
Cross
Lynch
Woywitka

Staios, Ulanov, Cross, and Brewer would be the vets, Semenov, Bergeron, Lynch, and Woywitka would be competing for a regular job with Semenov and Bergeron being the favorites. If one of Lynch and Woywitka are really ready and impress in camp, I don't think the defense is all that bad. There's a lot more depth here than I saw at the beginning of the year and the Oilers will hopefully have the same problem they had on foward this year--before injuries--with too many quality players on their defense next year.

The Comrie thing really screwed with the plans this year and in the near future. With no Oates, and the reasonable assumption no Nedved the next year the Oilers play, flipping a defenseman and a forward for a quality centerman seems like an option. Last year I was thinking they needed to add a 3rd or 4th quality defenseman through a trade for some combination of forwards. Then came Ulanov to fill that spot. Funny how things can change in a year...

Old
04-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Master Lok

Yah, I would definitely have to give some serious thought about moving Smith on draft day to move up. Would I package Smith and the Oilers 14th pick to get 10th? No. Maybe 5th overall pick.

That being said, who does that leave on D?

Brewer - #2?
Bergeron - Ulanov
Semenov - Staios
Lynch - Cross - Woywitka, Luoma...

Who fills in the minutes as the #2 defender in place of Smith? Staios got noticeably tired. I wouldn't depend upon Ulanov as a 34 year old to do those minutes. The same with Cross.

That leaves Semenov - who had a Press Box seat for the Oilers stretch run - to jump into #2? Only if he played mean (as in his Sunday best imitation of Chara mean). Bergeron? Only if he learned to recognize the Oiler teammates in his own zone. Lynch? Woywitka? That's a lot to be asking from a kid with no NHL experience. Luoma? Definite dark horse, who knows?

Semenov might be the best bet to play #2 minutes, but he has to bring his intensity up a notch EVERY GAME. But if Smith were traded, that would at least open up a roster position for Lynch or Woywitka or Luoma to be paired up with Staios as the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

Old
04-07-2004, 02:15 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitenoise
Yeah, I saw him play. Decent player but that's not my point. Do you want to see him there instead of Semenov or another kid? Ulanov is better than Cross and I'd rather have Igor instead, but I think it's unlikely that that's how it will turn out.

EDIT: And about his marketability: he had a pretty good season for the Rangers in pretty much the same role he has now and nobody picked him up until midway through the next season. Maybe Lowe could give him away for a low draft pick or something, but I am not counting on it.
If you're talking about Cross's marketability, there's a correction to be made in your EDIT. Cross was an unsigned free agent (UFA) and wasn't picked up until the Rangers signed him partway into 2002-2003 season (early December, I think). He played VERY well for the Rangers - was a plus player on an awful team - and was picked up by Lowe at the deadline that same season in the Carter-Pisa/Dvorak-Cross deal. So he really had only played 3 months or so for the Rangers that year before coming to Edmonton. The question of his marketability could certainly be made around the time of his signing with the Rangers, since no one else had picked him up to that point, but I'd say his strong play since then (overall) has bumped up his marketability several notches. He'd be a good #7 guy for quite a few teams, although his back problems would be the biggest concern.

As to the rest - I could see Smith going at the draft, really ONLY due to the contract situation & chance of arbitration again, but I'd be very surprised if Brewer goes as well. I'd bet that Lowe keeps him until the new CBA is in place and then surveys the (new) landscape to see what the market is like. If Brewer's value has gone up by then, perhaps a trade, but I believe they still see some potential for Brewer to improve in the next couple of years.

Bart

Old
04-07-2004, 02:48 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Semenov might be the best bet to play #2 minutes, but he has to bring his intensity up a notch EVERY GAME. But if Smith were traded, that would at least open up a roster position for Lynch or Woywitka or Luoma to be paired up with Staios as the 2nd or 3rd pairing.
I don't think that's at all necessary for him to play 23 minutes a night give or take a few. Brewer sure isn't all that mean either for most games of the seasons yet he is taking the #1 job and the responsibilites that go with it.

Sure, I think we'd all love it if Semi became a monster back there like a Chara. But if he doesn't reach that level, he's still a very good dman in his own right. Good positionally, long stick and length, and can neutralize in the corner. I think we all see this big body of his and think "he has to be as physical as Jason Smith or he can't play". I don't think that's the case. Sure, his game would improve as a result... but it is not wholly necessary IMO.

Closed Thread