HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Future Greats and Hearbreaks by Gare Joyce

Old
12-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Duff88

vCash: 500
Future Greats and Hearbreaks by Gare Joyce

This is a must-have book for any draft fan.

Gare Joyce is a sports writer who is taken along in the Blue Jackets' war room for the 2006 NHL Draft and who travels the junior hockey scouting world through the 2006-2007 NHL season.

There are tons of interesting inside informations, including a different view on Phil Kessel, the Russian prospects' situation and Akim Aliu.

Among other things, there's this story about a scout going to Joyce on draft day 2007 and spreading the rumor that one of the prospects eligible had obsessive-compulsive disorder. Turns out the scout might have been running a negative campaign as his team ended up drafting the player; although Joyce doesn't mention that player's name.

Very interesting book, I recommend getting it to any draft fan. There are tons of interesting insight, reports and stories that might be unknown even to the most well informed fan.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 06:00 PM
CharlieGirl

I read it this weekend -- great book and it was hard to put down. It's a chance to learn what happens behind closed doors, and how difficult the scouts' jobs are.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 06:06 PM
gare joyce

Thanks for your kind words.

gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Count of DannyKristo

Picked it up today at Chapters, 30% off on hard covers. Looking forward to reading it.

Count of DannyKristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 08:35 PM
RobertKron

This sounds really interesting. It's going on the reading list. Thanks for the heads up.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Mackee

I got this for Christmas. It's next on my to read list after I finished Juiced by Jose Canseco (also a great read). Looking forward to it.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 03:14 AM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Thanks for the thought... I'm looking into purchasing it right now, though I'm in Pittsburgh, so books concerning NHL scouts aren't exactly in copious amounts here, but I think I might have myself one lined up.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 08:58 AM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Thats sounds like a book I'll really enjoy... I think I'm going to check it out, actually. I love to hear other stories like the scount spreading the rumor one, so if anyone has any, I'd love to here them over PM. [As to not de-rail the thread]

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 10:00 AM
BronxBruin

I'm curious as to what he had to say about Phil Kessel.

BronxBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 10:48 AM
gare joyce

Your friendly neighborhood hockey-author here. I can imagine in Pittsburgh you'd have some trouble finding hockey books (beside my Sidney Crosby bio) at Barnes and Noble. (I digress, but, on my last trip to Pittsburgh I was pissed that they closed down the B & N that used to be behind the William Penn Hotel, one of my favorite bookstores on the road.) If you want to buy a copy online I think you might have better luck ordering from my publisher, Random House Canada, on their website. I think a few people have complained about having trouble getting copies on amazon.com and ebay. If you can buy it on amazon.ca, you get an even fairer price. If you order it from my publisher, PM me and I'll try to sign it and personalize it.

Old
12-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Just wanted to chime in my praise as well.
A great read for anyone interested in scouting, the draft or just hockey in general. There's a huge amount of inside information on why different players in the 2006 and 2007 draft rose and fell. A lot of time is dedicated to how a team actually ends up drafting a prospect, going from interviews, to physical testing to game action. The talk about physical testing (and breaking down what the different tests are and what the results mean) was very interesting to me.

There's a frequent question on this board on what is required to become a scout and how to become a scout. While this book doesn't intend to answer that question, it does provide a pretty accurate view of that lifestyle. Quite a bit of talk about job security and one year contracts and so on.

The only down point is that according to an interview that James Mirtle did with Gare Joyce, a lot of content was left on the cutting room floor. Because he followed the Blue Jackets, a fair bit of editing was done after the draft based on Columbus' picks.

Joyce also has a blog that works as an addendum to the book: http://scoutshonourbygarejoyce.blogspot.com/
There's an interesting story on there about the improved dedication in conditioning that Hitchcock has brought in for the Blue Jackets, and surprise surprise, the team seems to be doing a bit better this year. Obviously conditioning won't completely turn around the fortunes in Columbus, but it just goes to show that any extra edge helps.

Last edited by Kevin Forbes: 12-28-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Top Corner2

I'm in the midst of reading it....very fun read!

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 03:53 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gare joyce View Post
Your friendly neighborhood hockey-author here. I can imagine in Pittsburgh you'd have some trouble finding hockey books (beside my Sidney Crosby bio) at Barnes and Noble. (I digress, but, on my last trip to Pittsburgh I was pissed that they closed down the B & N that used to be behind the William Penn Hotel, one of my favorite bookstores on the road.) If you want to buy a copy online I think you might have better luck ordering from my publisher, Random House Canada, on their website. I think a few people have complained about having trouble getting copies on amazon.com and ebay. If you can buy it on amazon.ca, you get an even fairer price. If you order it from my publisher, PM me and I'll try to sign it and personalize it.
I wish I'd known this before I bought the book for my daughter's boyfriend for Christmas!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Chomsky

Agreed, very good book, I'm almost done reading it. I'm glad the Habs didn't draft Ian White.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 08:20 PM
gare joyce

Thanks all around for your kind words about my labour of love. The next book tour I do--yeah, out of my pocket--I'll announce the stops along the way on hfboards. We can meet up and discuss what was left on the cutting room floor. (I still love that Kevin Costner was cut out of The Big Chill.)

Old
12-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Just placed an order for it on Amazon.ca when it displayed they had 2 copies left in their stock, yay. Looking forward to this read. I recall Sportsnet following Doug MacLean behind the scenes for the 2005 draft. Thanks for passing on Kopitar (along with the other GMs who picked ahead of the Kings)!

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 11:41 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKostitsyn47 View Post
Agreed, very good book, I'm almost done reading it. I'm glad the Habs didn't draft Ian White.
we could use his great leadership . this was a great book, i also recommend it to any hockey fan out there.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Count of DannyKristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxBruin View Post
I'm curious as to what he had to say about Phil Kessel.
He pretty much gets ripped to shreds. Not really his playing ability but his interview skills and people skills. Specifically his ability to take criticism. The Blue Jackets had him 5th ranked so he would have been their guy (according to the board at least) if Boston took Brassard or say Mueller, but a lot of people on the Columbus staff didn't want Kessel.

Old
12-29-2007, 01:50 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

What was said about Tlusty?

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundintoSteen View Post
What was said about Tlusty?
Picked up too high.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 01:55 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKostitsyn47 View Post
Picked up too high.
That's no good. Did he describe any type of potential?

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Count of DannyKristo

Quote:
It doesn't really say that he was picked too high.

Old
12-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
It doesn't really say that he was picked too high.
That's correct. He uses Tlusty as an example of how the Central Scouting rankings do not equal the same thing as individual team rankings nor do they have anything to do with how individual teams rank the players. Basically, Joyce says that the teams don't use Central's rankings for anything more then a cursory heads-up on who to look at and in particular the final rankings released by CSB are, by and large, ignored by the NHL teams, as by then all the teams have their own lists based on their own eyes and opinions.

Using the example of Tlusty, he mentions that Tlusty was ranked higher by CSB then he was drafted. Toronto media after the draft touted that as being a "steal". It should be viewed as being quite different from that, because obviously there was something in Tlusty's game (or in the games of the players chosen above him) that the teams ahead of Toronto decided to look elsewhere.

It wasn't a commentary on Tlusty as much it was a commentary on the media (and in part the fans) on their constant drive to find "steals" and "winners" of the draft immediately after it happens, when those verdicts simply can not be predicted. It's something that you can see a lot of here on these boards. Make no mistake, players like Esposito, Kessel, Cherepanov, and O'Sullivan (to name a few) all drop in the draft for very good reasons. Yes, there are steals and there are busts, but immediate judging of any draft class is short-sighted.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Duff88

Quote:
Doesn't talk about him much. It says that the Blue Jackets' czech scout, Milan Tichy, rarely ever pushes for the team to draft czech players, much to the contrary of the swede scout Kjell Larson. I think Tlusty was in the top 20, but Tichy didn't try to push him any higher.

It's also mentionned that Tichy was extremely high on Voracek though.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 02:56 PM
gare joyce

This isn't the Columbus braintrust talkin', just me but ... y'know when I saw Tlusty play last season, I sorta thought he played at one speed, no big burst.

(Just as I type that, the Swedes tie the game.)

As far Milan T, I think he's being very shrewd in picking his spots, very selectively pushing for Czech players. Kjell L might have pushed too hard too often for Swedes and others in the room would be tempted to tune him out. Not so Milan. More of a political process than you might imagine.