HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zack Strotini With Roadrunners

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Zack Stortini With Roadrunners

Told this morning by Kevin prendergast that Zack Stortini has signed an Amateur Tryout Contract for the rest of this season with the Toronto Roadrunners.

And he might not be the last one. Don't be surprised if Jeff Deslauriers and Kyle Brodziak also end up there when their respective playoff drives are done.

Last edited by Guy Flaming: 04-06-2004 at 05:52 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old
04-06-2004, 06:45 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
Told this morning by Kevin prendergast that Zack Stortini has signed an Amateur Tryout Contract for the rest of this season with the Toronto Roadrunners.

And he might not be the last one. Don't be surprised if Jeff Deslauriers and Kyle Brodziak also end up there when their respective playoff drives are done.
That is excellent news . One question though; if they are signed to a tryout contract, does that mean that they have signed (ie: signed so they won't go back into the draft)?

Old
04-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Lowetide

Wow, that's a huge compliment to Stortini. The organization clearly values this guy.

Old
04-06-2004, 08:47 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
kinda odd though as he was one of the youngest guys in the draft last year and is only 18 at this point which means...he can't be sent to the AHL if he is indeed unable to go back to jrs... I'm not realizing that even if he signs with the oilers he can still return to Jrs, just can't go to the AHL for next season. I wonder why he's allowed to play in the AHL now. Is it because his contrat was signed with the roadrunners and not the oilers?

Old
04-06-2004, 10:16 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

that's kinda odd. I thought he's underaged for the AHL.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:28 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
kinda odd though as he was one of the youngest guys in the draft last year and is only 18 at this point which means...he can't be sent to the AHL if he is indeed unable to go back to jrs... I'm not realizing that even if he signs with the oilers he can still return to Jrs, just can't go to the AHL for next season. I wonder why he's allowed to play in the AHL now. Is it because his contrat was signed with the roadrunners and not the oilers?
any junior player can play in the AHL as soon as his junior team's season is over.

The 20 and over rule is in place to stop the AHL from raiding the 18 and 19 year old from CHL rosters, not to stop them from playing in the AHL period. so once a player's CHL season is over he can finish the year in the AHL.

This happened with Semenov in the past, as one example.

Old
04-06-2004, 11:35 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
any junior player can play in the AHL as soon as his junior team's season is over.

The 20 and over rule is in place to stop the AHL from raiding the 18 and 19 year old from CHL rosters, not to stop them from playing in the AHL period. so once a player's CHL season is over he can finish the year in the AHL.

thank you

Old
04-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
That is excellent news . One question though; if they are signed to a tryout contract, does that mean that they have signed (ie: signed so they won't go back into the draft)?

They still have to be signed by Edmonton... this would just be an ATO with the Roadrunners. Funny thing though, I spoke with Kyle Brodziak last night in Red Deer and he didn't think he had to be signed by June 1... I told him he did and he looked a bit worried at first and then said "I'm not thinking about that right now though". It was kind of funny but being a 7th round pick, I think it'll be pretty easy to get him signed without much delay. (It's not like he can command big money even though he had a great year this season after a pretty good one in 02-03).

Old
04-07-2004, 06:03 PM
igor*

Quote:

Thanks for the info, speeds.

On a tangent ---> are their any rumblings that this agreement with the CHL might change? Personally I think it is idiotic and negatively affects the development of a lot of players. like Lowetide says ... the really good prospects end up playing a limited role in the NHL instead of going back to the CHL anyways ... so nobody wins. And the player loses the most.

On another wild tangent ---> I'm still trying to catch up on all the threads, but i didn't see a response from you on the 'Levitt Report' thread after some of us took a kick at the typepad guy. You don't have any thoughts?

Old
04-07-2004, 06:04 PM
speeds

Quote:
They still have to be signed by Edmonton... this would just be an ATO with the Roadrunners. Funny thing though, I spoke with Kyle Brodziak last night in Red Deer and he didn't think he had to be signed by June 1... I told him he did and he looked a bit worried at first and then said "I'm not thinking about that right now though". It was kind of funny but being a 7th round pick, I think it'll be pretty easy to get him signed without much delay. (It's not like he can command big money even though he had a great year this season after a pretty good one in 02-03).
I never really understood this myself. I'm not sure that they actually have to sign Brodziak or risk losing him to draft re-entry. With Deslauriers they do, since he was drafted in 2002, but I'm not sure it's quite the same situation for Brodziak. I'm no lawyer, and if anyone can understand this section, please help me out:

http://www.letsgopens.com/nhl_cba.php?id=8

http://www.letsgopens.com/nhl_cba.php

(d) If, on or before June 1 of the calendar year next
succeeding the draft, the claiming Club makes a Bona Fide Offer
(as defined below) to its claimed player of a contract, the Club
shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for the services
of such player up to and including the second June 1 following
the date of his selection.
A "Bona Fide Offer" is one which is for a period
corresponding to the player's age as required under Section
9.1(b) commencing at the start of the next League Year,
offers at least the NHL Minimum Compensation for each year
covered by such offer and remains open to the player for at least
thirty days after receipt of the offer by the player. A Bona
Fide Offer may be conditioned upon acceptance by the player
within thirty days and carries no right to salary arbitration.

With Brodziak I had always thought the "bona fide offer" was a formality to keep his rights, the same as they will have to give to Pouliot, or Jacques, or any other CHLer to keep his rights.

For instance, I think Brodziak would still be Oilers property if he were to go back to MJ for an overage year.

Maybe Prendergast means that they "have" to sign him in the sense that they need to sign him to get him into the AHL next season?

Or just as likely perhaps I'm misinterpreting the CBA, and they do indeed need to sign him by June 1st or risk losing him back into the draft?

any CBA gurus out there?

Old
04-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Someone will know for sure but both Lowe and K.P. said they have to sign him.

I'm assuming it's an age issue more than a draft year issue for Brodziak where as with JDD, it's obviously the latter.

Old
04-07-2004, 06:08 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Thanks for the info, speeds.

On a tangent ---> are their any rumblings that this agreement with the CHL might change? Personally I think it is idiotic and negatively affects the development of a lot of players. like Lowetide says ... the really good prospects end up playing a limited role in the NHL instead of going back to the CHL anyways ... so nobody wins. And the player loses the most.
I haven't heard anything, but the problem for the CHL with changing this is not the top guys that leave for the NHL at 18, but the guys like Bernier and Pouliot who would likely play AHL instead of an extra year or two of junior.

Quote:
On another wild tangent ---> I'm still trying to catch up on all the threads, but i didn't see a response from you on the 'Levitt Report' thread after some of us took a kick at the typepad guy. You don't have any thoughts?
I replied to it, briefly, in that I didn't really know what to make of it. AS you did I felt like the guy was looking to find things wrong, but I'm no expert on that kind of stuff and wanted to hear other viewpoints having stumbled across that link.

Old
04-07-2004, 06:10 PM
speeds

Quote:
Someone will know for sure but both Lowe and K.P. said they have to sign him.

I'm assuming it's an age issue more than a draft year issue for Brodziak where as with JDD, it's obviously the latter.
that's kind of what I thought as well, but the draft is strictly speaking for 19 year olds (and 18 year olds can opt in at their discretion) which is why I found the passage I highlighted in bold to be confusing.

Old
04-07-2004, 06:13 PM
igor*

Quote:
I haven't heard anything, but the problem for the CHL with changing this is not the top guys that leave for the NHL at 18, but the guys like Bernier and Pouliot who would likely play AHL instead of an extra year or two of junior.
Fair enough, I can see how it benefits the CHL then. But why in gawd's name does the NHL feel the need to benefit the CHL to its own detriment? And also to the detriment of its prospects? There must be a simple reason ... but I can't see it.

Old
04-07-2004, 07:49 PM
outKast*

This is the start of the end to the Georges Laraque era in Edmonton. Stortini brings what Geroges but he's younger, cheaper, and plays with a CONSTANT meanstreak unlike Georges who plays by the code too much. I'm very tired of his excuses and i'd bet any money that he wil undeperform for the first two months of next season. His trade value is extremely high and is a good start to any trade. Zach is probably 2 years away. When he gets here in my opinion...

Zach Stortinin = Jody Shelley

Old
04-07-2004, 08:57 PM
TheBrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
This is the start of the end to the Georges Laraque era in Edmonton. Stortini brings what Geroges but he's younger, cheaper, and plays with a CONSTANT meanstreak unlike Georges who plays by the code too much. I'm very tired of his excuses and i'd bet any money that he wil undeperform for the first two months of next season. His trade value is extremely high and is a good start to any trade. Zach is probably 2 years away. When he gets here in my opinion...

Zach Stortinin = Jody Shelley
But can Stortini play a regular shift?

Old
04-07-2004, 08:59 PM
outKast*

If he can't then i guess we're all stuck with BG's BS play for half the year.

Old
04-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
This is the start of the end to the Georges Laraque era in Edmonton. Stortini brings what Geroges but he's younger, cheaper, and plays with a CONSTANT meanstreak...

outKast, I haven't agreed with most of your posts since you came to the HF boards but this one, I think you're 100% dead on.

Old
04-07-2004, 09:17 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I'm a big Stortini booster as there is, but I doubt we see him in Oilers silks as a regular (or even PB fodder) until he is at least 24.

And to be honest, he doesn't have nearly the offensive tools and ability to dominate down low that Laraque does... even at the OHL level.

Old
04-07-2004, 09:19 PM
outKast*

Quote:
outKast, I haven't agreed with most of your posts since you came to the HF boards but this one, I think you're 100% dead on.
oooh, Guy man i wouldn't agree with me too much. i don't want you getting flamed.

Closed Thread