HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Camp Back On?

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Bohologo

vCash: 500
Prospects Camp Back On?

Brownlee thinks so:Link

While the Oilers had considered cancelling the second edition of the Top Prospects camp they held last summer, talk now is it will be held after the entry draft.

Old
04-07-2004, 12:16 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Brownlee thinks so:Link

While the Oilers had considered cancelling the second edition of the Top Prospects camp they held last summer, talk now is it will be held after the entry draft.
Solid investment. imho

Old
04-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Cerebral

Old
04-07-2004, 03:49 PM
xerburt

training camp is on too?

wow that will be excruciatingly painful to go through (two weeks of?) training camp, all the excitement and expectation, only to see it end for who knows how long. it looks like everything will be business as usual, until the 15th.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:52 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

sweet!

I was hoping they would reconsider

Old
04-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Sorry guys, I had this info yesterday but I was out of town and couldn't post it. (I did call and tell Lowetide though!).

According to K.P., the mini-camp was on, then off and now is maybe back on (50/50) he told me. We talked a bit about the expenses side of things but you'll read the full discussion soon (maybe by the weekend).

I haven't read Robin's bit yet so I hope he didn't steal ALL of my thunder (thanks Robin!)

EDIT: No he didn't, so I can tell you that the target dates IF the mini-camp goes... July 7-12th. After the first weekend in July. The Entry Draft is two weekends before that, then the AHL meetings comence and then the mini-camp (cross your fingers).

Last edited by Guy Flaming: 04-07-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old
04-07-2004, 05:50 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
Sorry guys, I had this info yesterday but I was out of town and couldn't post it. (I did call and tell Lowetide though!).

According to K.P., the mini-camp was on, then off and now is maybe back on (50/50) he told me. We talked a bit about the expenses side of things but you'll read the full discussion soon (maybe by the weekend).

I haven't read Robin's bit yet so I hope he didn't steal ALL of my thunder (thanks Robin!)

EDIT: No he didn't, so I can tell you that the target dates IF the mini-camp goes... July 7-12th. After the first weekend in July. The Entry Draft is two weekends before that, then the AHL meetings comence and then the mini-camp (cross your fingers).
Guy, if you get a chance could you ask the Oilres brass if they have ever considered a mini-camp tournanment with a couple other teams?

The Habs do this (with OTT, CAR and another I think) and it is really successful. A while ago I talked to guy whose son is a prospect ... he said those games were like the Stanley Cup playoffs to the kid. I guess they get pretty good crowds of hardcore fans in to watch the games too. Maybe I'm in the minority ... but personally, I wouldn't mind throwing down a few bucks to see the Oilers best prospects duelling it out versus the CGY and VAN kids (bragging rights on the line )

Old
04-07-2004, 05:54 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Guy, if you get a chance could you ask the Oilres brass if they have ever considered a mini-camp tournanment with a couple other teams?
I think Guy has brought this up previously. I don't the Oilers were planning on doing this sort of mini-camp tournament. But I assume things can change.

BTW, I think this is great news.

Old
04-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I think Guy has brought this up previously. I don't the Oilers were planning on doing this sort of mini-camp tournament. But I assume things can change.

BTW, I think this is great news.
Yeah i have asked them about that, (check the archives for the first interview with Scott Howson I think). The answer was no back then but that is a while ago. This year the answer would definitely be NO for FI$CAL reason I'm sure.

Old
04-07-2004, 06:13 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
It's really to bad they don't seem interested in it! That'd be great to have a three way tournament with Calgary and Vancouver!!! I know I'd pay to go to a rookie game at skyreach(or M-Place would be good too) against one of those two teams!!

Old
04-07-2004, 06:20 PM
igor*

Quote:
Yeah i have asked them about that, (check the archives for the first interview with Scott Howson I think). The answer was no back then but that is a while ago. This year the answer would definitely be NO for FI$CAL reason I'm sure.
Thanks Guy. And sorry for missing the earlier mention.

But would it really be much of an additional cost? I would assume that in a case like MTL, which hosts, that the other teams pay their own freight, no? And that revenue is generated from gate receipts as well.

I don't know the details, but on the surface this seems to be a situation that could even ease cash-flow issues ... rather than burden them.

And as I'm wishing blindly ... I'd like N.J in as a 4th team. Let's add even more fire to the endless Pouliot/Parise debate!

Old
04-07-2004, 06:24 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
It's really to bad they don't seem interested in it! That'd be great to have a three way tournament with Calgary and Vancouver!!! I know I'd pay to go to a rookie game at skyreach(or M-Place would be good too) against one of those two teams!!
Me too, Thome. I think swacks of others would too. Good for the kids to be exposed to that kind of pressure and scrutiny too.

Other teams do these tourneys for good reasons. Whether the good outways the bad? ... I dunno. But i'd like to see it, and a lot of other fans would too I suspect. A lot of people would happily pay to see it, and it would keep the interest up too I'd think.

Never hurts to lobby

Old
04-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Let's add even more fire to the endless Pouliot/Parise debate!
Evil, evil igor. I'd love to see the rookie camp, and agree with thome_26 and igor that it would certainly be worth paying for.

Old
04-07-2004, 08:08 PM
outKast*

Yes igor let's milk the Poulliot/Parise situation for what it's worth.
Actually, there's really no debate here, 70% of NHL fans have come to the consensus that Parise >>>>> Poulliot. If Kevin Lowe was "scared" that Parise was too short, we'll he shoujld rethink that. Roenik was listed 5'10 when he started out in the NHL. Now he's 6'1. Parise will grow, get bigger, and you just can't deny that his skill level if a tier ahead of Poulliot. I can't wait to see both in the NHL though. If Jaques turns into a half decent 3rd/4th liner i guess the trade evens out.

Old
04-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
70% of NHL fans have come to the consensus that Parise >>>>> Poulliot.
Who cares what the fans think??

70% of NHL fans haven't even seen these guys play live....

Just because Parise has received a lot of hype recently doesn't mean he's better.

You should make decisions based on your own observations, outKast, instead of taking everything you read as gospel.

Old
04-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
Yes igor let's milk the Poulliot/Parise situation for what it's worth.
Actually, there's really no debate here, 70% of NHL fans have come to the consensus that Parise >>>>> Poulliot. If Kevin Lowe was "scared" that Parise was too short, we'll he shoujld rethink that. Roenik was listed 5'10 when he started out in the NHL. Now he's 6'1. Parise will grow, get bigger, and you just can't deny that his skill level if a tier ahead of Poulliot. I can't wait to see both in the NHL though. If Jaques turns into a half decent 3rd/4th liner i guess the trade evens out.
Sigh.. so many people completely slag Pouliot and assume he's less talented than Parise. Look at his point in the playoffs so far, he's almost averaging 2 points/game. Likewise, he's not even the star player on the team with Boy-Wonder on the roster. 70% of hockey fans may have come to the conclusion that Parise is >>>>> than Pouliot but that's likely the same 70% that thought Daigle would be a star and that Kelly was better than Doan. You say you "just can't deny" that Parise is more skilled than Pouliot. I ask why..

Old
04-07-2004, 08:40 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan

Old
04-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan

Old
04-07-2004, 08:53 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
not cool man. donkeys are cool and friendly.

Old
04-07-2004, 09:10 PM
OYLer

Stream of Conscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Evil, evil igor. I'd love to see the rookie camp, and agree with thome_26 and igor that it would certainly be worth paying for.
Multi-level vertical marketing of hockey product which adds a twist of putting your money where your prospect's mouth will be introduced early into the Shock & Awe of the big time Live Ice! Kinda' like NCAA tournaments for bragging rights complete with a revenue stream to make & shake your money-maker.

Just think of the tee-shirt sales spin-offs alone, after they've been purchased and modeled then doused with Canadian brew becoming contestant translucence on some long August weekend complete with tailgate parties and Alberta beef barbecuing on hot manifolds where the fire leads to the ice and boys become men and fathers are locked away by their daughters 'cause all those guys are just so illegibly cute with such potentially big bank accounts ... well it's enough to make young hockey fans of the gentler persuasion buy event tickets like they were ice cubes on a desert island... :gman:

Last edited by OYLer: 04-07-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old
04-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

lol, it's a horse dude, not a donkey. A horse, as in "you're beating a dead horse...again".

Outkast is new so let's not assume that's he's read all the stuff that's been on HF for the last year or so. Instead Outkast, for your benefit, read the archived Oiler articles, especially the Kevin Prendergast trio around Christmas (especially part III for your actual Pouliot/Parise comparisons from the mouths of the Oilers). Any of the articles pertaining to updates on players (IE scouting reports) you would be interested in too because they are directly from scouts.

Once you're done then you'll be n the same page as everyone else and you won't get slammed so much for having outdated arguments and stuff.

I hope that helps. (You can use the Guy Spot thread as a guide too).

Old
04-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide

Absolutley Id pay to see a prospects game. In some cases it may be the only time any of us get to see some of these guys. Not to mention how hockey starved I get during the summer. Put me in for yay.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:48 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Once you're done then you'll be n the same page as everyone else and you won't get slammed so much for having outdated arguments and stuff.

:lol

Old
04-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Jamie

Quote:
lol, it's a horse dude, not a donkey. A horse, as in "you're beating a dead horse...again".

Outkast is new so let's not assume that's he's read all the stuff that's been on HF for the last year or so. Instead Outkast, for your benefit, read the archived Oiler articles, especially the Kevin Prendergast trio around Christmas (especially part III for your actual Pouliot/Parise comparisons from the mouths of the Oilers). Any of the articles pertaining to updates on players (IE scouting reports) you would be interested in too because they are directly from scouts.

I hope that helps. (You can use the Guy Spot thread as a guide too).
What shameless self promotion

Closed Thread