HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Camp Back On?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2004, 11:52 AM
  #1
Bohologo
Registered User
 
Bohologo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tokyo
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
Prospects Camp Back On?

Brownlee thinks so:Link

While the Oilers had considered cancelling the second edition of the Top Prospects camp they held last summer, talk now is it will be held after the entry draft.

Bohologo is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 12:16 PM
  #2
IceDragoon
Registered User
 
IceDragoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South of Sanity
Posts: 3,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Brownlee thinks so:Link

While the Oilers had considered cancelling the second edition of the Top Prospects camp they held last summer, talk now is it will be held after the entry draft.
Solid investment. imho

IceDragoon is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 03:34 PM
  #3
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,709
vCash: 500

Cerebral is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 03:49 PM
  #4
xerburt
Registered User
 
xerburt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: vancouver
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
training camp is on too?

wow that will be excruciatingly painful to go through (two weeks of?) training camp, all the excitement and expectation, only to see it end for who knows how long. it looks like everything will be business as usual, until the 15th.

xerburt is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 03:52 PM
  #5
s7ark
Moderator
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,036
vCash: 500
sweet!

I was hoping they would reconsider

s7ark is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 05:18 PM
  #6
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Sorry guys, I had this info yesterday but I was out of town and couldn't post it. (I did call and tell Lowetide though!).

According to K.P., the mini-camp was on, then off and now is maybe back on (50/50) he told me. We talked a bit about the expenses side of things but you'll read the full discussion soon (maybe by the weekend).

I haven't read Robin's bit yet so I hope he didn't steal ALL of my thunder (thanks Robin!)

EDIT: No he didn't, so I can tell you that the target dates IF the mini-camp goes... July 7-12th. After the first weekend in July. The Entry Draft is two weekends before that, then the AHL meetings comence and then the mini-camp (cross your fingers).


Last edited by Guy Flaming: 04-07-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 05:50 PM
  #7
igor*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
Sorry guys, I had this info yesterday but I was out of town and couldn't post it. (I did call and tell Lowetide though!).

According to K.P., the mini-camp was on, then off and now is maybe back on (50/50) he told me. We talked a bit about the expenses side of things but you'll read the full discussion soon (maybe by the weekend).

I haven't read Robin's bit yet so I hope he didn't steal ALL of my thunder (thanks Robin!)

EDIT: No he didn't, so I can tell you that the target dates IF the mini-camp goes... July 7-12th. After the first weekend in July. The Entry Draft is two weekends before that, then the AHL meetings comence and then the mini-camp (cross your fingers).
Guy, if you get a chance could you ask the Oilres brass if they have ever considered a mini-camp tournanment with a couple other teams?

The Habs do this (with OTT, CAR and another I think) and it is really successful. A while ago I talked to guy whose son is a prospect ... he said those games were like the Stanley Cup playoffs to the kid. I guess they get pretty good crowds of hardcore fans in to watch the games too. Maybe I'm in the minority ... but personally, I wouldn't mind throwing down a few bucks to see the Oilers best prospects duelling it out versus the CGY and VAN kids (bragging rights on the line )

igor* is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 05:54 PM
  #8
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Guy, if you get a chance could you ask the Oilres brass if they have ever considered a mini-camp tournanment with a couple other teams?
I think Guy has brought this up previously. I don't the Oilers were planning on doing this sort of mini-camp tournament. But I assume things can change.

BTW, I think this is great news.

momentai is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 06:04 PM
  #9
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I think Guy has brought this up previously. I don't the Oilers were planning on doing this sort of mini-camp tournament. But I assume things can change.

BTW, I think this is great news.
Yeah i have asked them about that, (check the archives for the first interview with Scott Howson I think). The answer was no back then but that is a while ago. This year the answer would definitely be NO for FI$CAL reason I'm sure.

Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 06:13 PM
  #10
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,868
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
It's really to bad they don't seem interested in it! That'd be great to have a three way tournament with Calgary and Vancouver!!! I know I'd pay to go to a rookie game at skyreach(or M-Place would be good too) against one of those two teams!!

thome_26 is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 06:20 PM
  #11
igor*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
Yeah i have asked them about that, (check the archives for the first interview with Scott Howson I think). The answer was no back then but that is a while ago. This year the answer would definitely be NO for FI$CAL reason I'm sure.
Thanks Guy. And sorry for missing the earlier mention.

But would it really be much of an additional cost? I would assume that in a case like MTL, which hosts, that the other teams pay their own freight, no? And that revenue is generated from gate receipts as well.

I don't know the details, but on the surface this seems to be a situation that could even ease cash-flow issues ... rather than burden them.

And as I'm wishing blindly ... I'd like N.J in as a 4th team. Let's add even more fire to the endless Pouliot/Parise debate!

igor* is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 06:24 PM
  #12
igor*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
It's really to bad they don't seem interested in it! That'd be great to have a three way tournament with Calgary and Vancouver!!! I know I'd pay to go to a rookie game at skyreach(or M-Place would be good too) against one of those two teams!!
Me too, Thome. I think swacks of others would too. Good for the kids to be exposed to that kind of pressure and scrutiny too.

Other teams do these tourneys for good reasons. Whether the good outways the bad? ... I dunno. But i'd like to see it, and a lot of other fans would too I suspect. A lot of people would happily pay to see it, and it would keep the interest up too I'd think.

Never hurts to lobby

igor* is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 07:53 PM
  #13
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Let's add even more fire to the endless Pouliot/Parise debate!
Evil, evil igor. I'd love to see the rookie camp, and agree with thome_26 and igor that it would certainly be worth paying for.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 08:08 PM
  #14
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Yes igor let's milk the Poulliot/Parise situation for what it's worth.
Actually, there's really no debate here, 70% of NHL fans have come to the consensus that Parise >>>>> Poulliot. If Kevin Lowe was "scared" that Parise was too short, we'll he shoujld rethink that. Roenik was listed 5'10 when he started out in the NHL. Now he's 6'1. Parise will grow, get bigger, and you just can't deny that his skill level if a tier ahead of Poulliot. I can't wait to see both in the NHL though. If Jaques turns into a half decent 3rd/4th liner i guess the trade evens out.

outKast* is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 08:18 PM
  #15
Boondock Saint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
70% of NHL fans have come to the consensus that Parise >>>>> Poulliot.
Who cares what the fans think??

70% of NHL fans haven't even seen these guys play live....

Just because Parise has received a lot of hype recently doesn't mean he's better.

You should make decisions based on your own observations, outKast, instead of taking everything you read as gospel.

Boondock Saint is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 08:20 PM
  #16
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
Yes igor let's milk the Poulliot/Parise situation for what it's worth.
Actually, there's really no debate here, 70% of NHL fans have come to the consensus that Parise >>>>> Poulliot. If Kevin Lowe was "scared" that Parise was too short, we'll he shoujld rethink that. Roenik was listed 5'10 when he started out in the NHL. Now he's 6'1. Parise will grow, get bigger, and you just can't deny that his skill level if a tier ahead of Poulliot. I can't wait to see both in the NHL though. If Jaques turns into a half decent 3rd/4th liner i guess the trade evens out.
Sigh.. so many people completely slag Pouliot and assume he's less talented than Parise. Look at his point in the playoffs so far, he's almost averaging 2 points/game. Likewise, he's not even the star player on the team with Boy-Wonder on the roster. 70% of hockey fans may have come to the conclusion that Parise is >>>>> than Pouliot but that's likely the same 70% that thought Daigle would be a star and that Kelly was better than Doan. You say you "just can't deny" that Parise is more skilled than Pouliot. I ask why..

Cerebral is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 08:40 PM
  #17
rabi_sultan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 08:46 PM
  #18
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan

Cerebral is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 08:53 PM
  #19
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
not cool man. donkeys are cool and friendly.

outKast* is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 09:10 PM
  #20
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Stream of Conscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Evil, evil igor. I'd love to see the rookie camp, and agree with thome_26 and igor that it would certainly be worth paying for.
Multi-level vertical marketing of hockey product which adds a twist of putting your money where your prospect's mouth will be introduced early into the Shock & Awe of the big time Live Ice! Kinda' like NCAA tournaments for bragging rights complete with a revenue stream to make & shake your money-maker.

Just think of the tee-shirt sales spin-offs alone, after they've been purchased and modeled then doused with Canadian brew becoming contestant translucence on some long August weekend complete with tailgate parties and Alberta beef barbecuing on hot manifolds where the fire leads to the ice and boys become men and fathers are locked away by their daughters 'cause all those guys are just so illegibly cute with such potentially big bank accounts ... well it's enough to make young hockey fans of the gentler persuasion buy event tickets like they were ice cubes on a desert island... :gman:


Last edited by OYLer: 04-07-2004 at 10:16 PM.
OYLer is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 09:11 PM
  #21
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
lol, it's a horse dude, not a donkey. A horse, as in "you're beating a dead horse...again".

Outkast is new so let's not assume that's he's read all the stuff that's been on HF for the last year or so. Instead Outkast, for your benefit, read the archived Oiler articles, especially the Kevin Prendergast trio around Christmas (especially part III for your actual Pouliot/Parise comparisons from the mouths of the Oilers). Any of the articles pertaining to updates on players (IE scouting reports) you would be interested in too because they are directly from scouts.

Once you're done then you'll be n the same page as everyone else and you won't get slammed so much for having outdated arguments and stuff.

I hope that helps. (You can use the Guy Spot thread as a guide too).

Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 10:17 PM
  #22
Obsessed
Registered User
 
Obsessed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Devon, AB
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Evil, evil igor. I'd love to see the rookie camp, and agree with thome_26 and igor that it would certainly be worth paying for.

Absolutley Id pay to see a prospects game. In some cases it may be the only time any of us get to see some of these guys. Not to mention how hockey starved I get during the summer. Put me in for yay.

Obsessed is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 10:48 PM
  #23
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
Once you're done then you'll be n the same page as everyone else and you won't get slammed so much for having outdated arguments and stuff.

:lol

windowlicker is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 10:49 PM
  #24
Jamie
Registered User
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
lol, it's a horse dude, not a donkey. A horse, as in "you're beating a dead horse...again".

Outkast is new so let's not assume that's he's read all the stuff that's been on HF for the last year or so. Instead Outkast, for your benefit, read the archived Oiler articles, especially the Kevin Prendergast trio around Christmas (especially part III for your actual Pouliot/Parise comparisons from the mouths of the Oilers). Any of the articles pertaining to updates on players (IE scouting reports) you would be interested in too because they are directly from scouts.

Once you're done then you'll be n the same page as everyone else and you won't get slammed so much for having outdated arguments and stuff.

I hope that helps. (You can use the Guy Spot thread as a guide too).
What shameless self promotion

Jamie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.