HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

GDT:Sharks @ Blues 12/28/07

Old
12-29-2007, 02:45 AM
cantskate

vCash: 500
Blues fans, I can see you are frustrated by the lack of scoring, but us Shark fans are even worse off. Sharks are 23rd in the league (2.47) in GF/g, Blues are 21st (2.56). Not a huge difference, but when you consider the Sharks were supposed to be an offensive powerhouse, the performance is pretty bad. Most of the team is WAY behind where they were last year in terms of production. You have a good young team, and I think the job Davidson has done is terrific.

cantskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 05:22 AM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
If EJ could get his shot on net more often, it would help. I swear I've seen his shot get blocked 30 times already this year.
Really, if he would utilize the quick snap shot, ala Pronger, instead of trying to find the time and space for the big wind up, his shot might not get blocked so often.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 09:19 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
Great point Perry.

And remember, I am not saying Preissing is "our answer". He is by no means our "Go to guy" for the next 4 years. All I am saying is he is someone that is a upgrade on the power play over what we currently have. And even better he will make less money than McKee, Brewer, Backman and Jackman starting next fall.

Could he excel on his own? I don't know. A question mark. But what is the risk of finding out? Giving up a Backman and a prospect that will never come over?

Visnovsky is good...but here is what one Kings poster said about him in a trade...

Kings Players Avaliable:
4 D ROBERT BLAKE (C)
6 D BRAD STUART
7 C DEREK ARMSTRONG
17 D LUBOMIR VISNOVSKY (A) NEED GREAT VALUE
19 L KYLE CALDER
26 C MICHAL HANDZUS 4 million a year might be to much
27 L SCOTT THORNTON
29 L JEFF GIULIANO
41 L RAITIS IVANANS 42
D TOM PREISSING
44 D JAROSLAV MODRY
73 R JOHN ZEILER
32 G JONATHAN QUICK
37 G J-SEBASTIEN AUBIN
21 R BRIAN WILLSIE
38 D KEVIN DALLMAN
47 L LADISLAV NAGY

So not only would we have to pick up this on V- $2,052,000 $7,000,000 $7,000,000 $6,000,000 $5,000,000 $3,000,000 per year for the next 6 years...but they want "Great Value" in return for him.

Hence why I would pass on him.

I also did make an offer for Nagy awhile back too...since he was on the Kings list of possible players to trade...Here is what they said about my proposal for Nagy for Walker & Rucinsky.

Originally Posted by Reaper45
It makes me want to :shrug:. Walker would be nice because we're softer than Sharmin toilet paper, but Rucinsky is not needed.

Posted by Old Hickory
Agreed. Exchange Rucinsky for pretty much anything and you've got a deal.

Would be nice to have Nagy...if he doesn't work than we let him walk in June (Just like we will be doing with Walker anyway). And if we can throw Rucinsky away to some other team for a 6th or 7th rounder...Walker and Rucinsky salary would almost equal out to what we would take on for Nagy for the rest of the year.

No real loss.

Would be nice to get something going on offense right now.
I agree with you. Really I don't think he is the answer from the salary side of things, but I would like to have a player of that caliber to tutor our prodigy. God forbid he learn from Brewer or Backman's "total" game. Backman and Brewer have their strengths, but they have their weaknesses that seem to haunt us every game. It doesn't matter to me whether it is Brewer or Backman even both (and I hope not Jackman), but one of them has got to be moved for a #1. Package some picks or prospects with them and get Johnson a tutor. Backman and Brewer are just mid level guys at best. Depends on the night. (Brewer played well last night as did Backman minus the goal.)

I haven't seen enough of Preissing to know whether he could get by playing with a Wagner. (babysitting as Backman does) Does he need a Salvador/McKee type to babysit him ala Brewer? Could he play with a Jackman? Will eggs not break when he is on the ice, but he plays his position ala Backman?

We got a center. I wouldn't mind seeing this puzzle piece come into place.

Walker and Rucinsky for Nagy? I wouldn't trade used toilet paper for those two. I'm sure the Canadien's posters may offer Ryder though. They offer him for everyone else.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 09:19 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
Really, if he would utilize the quick snap shot, ala Pronger, instead of trying to find the time and space for the big wind up, his shot might not get blocked so often.
Good point Frenchy.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 09:26 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I agree with you. Really I don't think he is the answer from the salary side of things, but I would like to have a player of that caliber to tutor our prodigy. God forbid he learn from Brewer or Backman's "total" game. Backman and Brewer have their strengths, but they have their weaknesses that seem to haunt us every game. It doesn't matter to me whether it is Brewer or Backman even both (and I hope not Jackman), but one of them has got to be moved for a #1. Package some picks or prospects with them and get Johnson a tutor. Backman and Brewer are just mid level guys at best. Depends on the night. (Brewer played well last night as did Backman minus the goal.)

I haven't seen enough of Preissing to know whether he could get by playing with a Wagner. (babysitting as Backman does) Does he need a Salvador/McKee type to babysit him ala Brewer? Could he play with a Jackman? Will eggs not break when he is on the ice, but he plays his position ala Backman?

We got a center. I wouldn't mind seeing this puzzle piece come into place.

Walker and Rucinsky for Nagy? I wouldn't trade used toilet paper for those two. I'm sure the Canadien's posters may offer Ryder though. They offer him for everyone else.
I 100% agree...trade at least ONE of these d-man for a high pick, hopefully a 1st rounder.

Those are good questions about Preissing...I haven't seen a whole lot from him. But I have seen him on the power play numerous times and I was impressed.

I agree we need someone to tutior on D for Johnson (like we both talked about in another thread...MacInnis is great and all but we need someone on the ice shift to shift to help EJ).

I wonder if any great D-Man is a free agent in June?? I would have to go threw the list...because I believe that has to be our #1 concern...and most likely are only concern come next summer in regards to Free agents.

I couldn't believe how so many Montreal poster are throwing Ryder around like he is a totally worthless. I wouldn't mind having him for the rest of the year...if the price is right.

There beef in Montreal is he only scores on the power play...Well I would love to have that right about now.

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 12-29-2007 at 09:42 AM.
TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 11:33 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
Just another reason why I wanted Pressing on Defense last summer.

All he got was 2.75 a year for the next 4 years.

Would be nice to have that guy on the point during power plays right now.
I like Preissing. And he is a Chicago kid (suburbs). Tough as nails.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

If Backman could hit I would be estatic. Right before we got scored on Backman was behind the net with his man and all he had to do was hit the SOB, he didn't even have to hit him hard, and guess what he did.....he played piddle puff with the guy. Man sorry for the rant , but he doesn't make this play ever, when it is the right play to be made. Why is he such a panzy.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 01:54 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
If Backman could hit I would be estatic. Right before we got scored on Backman was behind the net with his man and all he had to do was hit the SOB, he didn't even have to hit him hard, and guess what he did.....he played piddle puff with the guy. Man sorry for the rant , but he doesn't make this play ever, when it is the right play to be made. Why is he such a panzy.
I watched the video of this and have another question. What in the world was Brewer doing? They were being forechecked. They did not have control of the puck in their own zone. Why did he take off to join the rush? Not to pick on him or anything, but what was he doing? If he stays and plays his position, then does this goal happen even though Backman didn't take his guy out. Backman loves having a figure skating partner. I don't understand what Brewer was thinking. He played a great game, but ??????.

Old
12-29-2007, 01:54 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I like Preissing. And he is a Chicago kid (suburbs). Tough as nails.
Who would you compare his game to?

Old
12-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
I watched the video of this and have another question. What in the world was Brewer doing? They were being forechecked. They did not have control of the puck in their own zone. Why did he take off to join the rush? Not to pick on him or anything, but what was he doing? If he stays and plays his position, then does this goal happen even though Backman didn't take his guy out. Backman loves having a figure skating partner. I don't understand what Brewer was thinking. He played a great game, but ??????.
Yeah there was surely a mental collapse on that shift! Marty had a chance to clear the puck too....Place chickens with heads cut off statement here.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 03:00 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Yeah there was surely a mental collapse on that shift! Marty had a chance to clear the puck too....Place chickens with heads cut off statement here.
This is the guy that should shoulder the entire blame. I have absolutely no use for MR. If there were any way to ditch him (I know, NTC), I would give him away, someone in Peoria has to be able to "produce" like him. His gaff and a lucky bounce decided the game. But, we all knew by the end of the second period, a bounce would decide this kind of game, one way or another.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Blue Sur

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
This is the guy that should shoulder the entire blame. I have absolutely no use for MR. If there were any way to ditch him (I know, NTC), I would give him away, someone in Peoria has to be able to "produce" like him. His gaff and a lucky bounce decided the game. But, we all knew by the end of the second period, a bounce would decide this kind of game, one way or another.
Could Mr. Bruisinski still care to join his Czech mates for one last spin in Manhattan? And more importantly, could JD pick up the phone and work something out with his garden buddies? Pick some fresh seeds (not from the gutter) rather than hold onto a ripe, decaying stalk.

Blue Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Wabs

Anyone know whos starting for dallas?

Wabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 12:37 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Who would you compare his game to?
Wow, that is tough. I thought about this for a while. Preissing is not young; 29.
He went undrafted. He has a college degree, which is why he is so much older than most 3rd-year players. He is not big.

So, with that said I would compare him to a slower version of Scott Niedermayer. I know it is dangerous to make this kind of comparison to a for-sure Hall-of-Famer.
But there really is nobody else I would compare him to. Preissing skates well and with his head up, which is one of my favorite traits in a good hockey player. Keep your head up and looking around, especially if your a d-man.

His vision is amazing (like Nieds) and can make that transition game happen with the "home-run pass". I like him, but am a little leery because he has been with three different teams already in his 3 seasons. I don't like that. Some people handle that well, like Boyes, while others do not. I just feel Preissing needs stability right now and trading for him would not be in the best interest of the Blues.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Sharks14*

Blues had alot of chances. Just couldnt connect.

Sharks14* is offline   Reply With Quote