HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

The official MMA thread - Part III

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Winston Wolf

vCash: 500
The Liddell-Silva fight should be a good one. After the weigh in yesterday, Chuck and Silva got into a pretty decent fight and had to be separated. Chuck actually called Dana White about his eye possibly being hurt, but I saw Chuck around 7:00 PM and he looked fine.

Old
12-29-2007, 07:50 PM
MM425

For the fights tonight, I've got St Pierre beating Hughes and Liddell beating Silva.

I've got a hunch that Liddell is going suprise and pull off the upset tonight.

Old
12-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
GSP and Silva for me

Old
12-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Habsfan18

Man, I can't freaking wait for tonight. War Wanderlei & GSP!

GSP vs Hughes
Silva vs Liddell
Sokoudjou vs Machida (although I'd like to see Soko win)
Clementi vs Guillard
Palelei vs Sanchez
Cane vs. Irvin
Mohr vs Gamburyan
Radev vs Lister
Carneiro vs DeSouza
Bocek vs Evans

Old
12-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

AWESOME FIGHT!!!!!
Chuckie is back.

12-29-2007, 11:40 PM
kingsfan25

Run and hide, Matt Serra...run and hide.

Old
12-30-2007, 12:07 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
man, I got killed with my picks.

other than the Sanchez/Palelei fight, this was a real good night of fights.

the fight between Wandy and Chuck lived up to the hype. loved seeing these two really slug it out. gotta give it too chuck, he really seemed to do the better damage. I was surprised that Wandy couldn't hurt Chuck more but then again, both landed some bombs and neither guy went down for the count. again, great fight by both and neither guy should hang his head.

I was really surprised with Sokoudjou. I expected him to be more aggressive on his feet but he seemed very cautious. Machida isn't flashy but he is effective.

what do you say about GSP? the dude is just a freak. SO much talent and skill. it will be great when him and Serra finally lock up. I would say that GSP will win easy but I said that last time. with his skill, GSP should dominate anyone in that weight class...but that's why they fight the fights. hopefully they can make this fight in Canada...George has been begging to fight there.

Old
12-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Senateurs
Let's win it all

What domination by GSP!!!

He ws my pick before the fight but I thought it would be closer than that. I knew he would win the standup but I kind of hoped he would go for the ground game since he beat Koschek (another all american wrestler) that way. And once again, he outwrestled the wrestler.

Funny thing, after the first GSP takedown, I said to my friend that it would be poetic justice if he'd beat Hughes with an armbar.

Old
12-30-2007, 01:43 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Wow, it's amazing watching St. Pierre fight. What a gifted athlete.

Old
12-30-2007, 03:16 AM
Boston Bruno

I really think Fitch may be the only guy who can challenge GSP at 170..

I dont think Karo can deal with GSP. He is too athletic.

Fitch is probably the best bet..

I feel bad for Serra if he fights GSP next. Having a bad back for the rest of his life will be a small price to pay from risking a serious beatin..

Old
12-30-2007, 06:37 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaditude View Post
And once again, he outwrestled the wrestler.
Is there anything this guy can't do? He's a freak of nature and an extreme joy to watch in the cage. I'm so glad he wiped the floor with Hughes again. That arrogant, one-dimensional, little dwarf needs to retire already.

Old
12-30-2007, 09:55 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Was St. Pierre contemplating wrestling for Canada at the Olympics? That would have been interesting.

Old
12-30-2007, 10:19 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Absolutely SICK from GSP. Ridiculous takedowns.

Why they give him the belt though? Isn't it still really Serra's?

EDIT: Spoke to soon, GSP giving up the belt as I watch.

Old
12-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Shabutie

Does anyone know where I can watch GSP vs Hughes and Silva vs Liddell online? I was at a party last night and missed it

Old
12-30-2007, 01:27 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Does anyone know where I can watch GSP vs Hughes and Silva vs Liddell online? I was at a party last night and missed it
http://www.thaplace2be.com/

best i can find buddy

Old
12-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
http://www.thaplace2be.com/

best i can find buddy
I googled and found them on www.mmatko.com

Old
12-30-2007, 02:26 PM
QuickDynamite

I wish I had actually made my predictions. I actually thought Liddell, GSP and Machida would all win their fights but they were so close I didn't make my predictions at the last second. Plus with many of the fighters on the undercard i've never seen alot of these guys fight.

Sanchez/Palalei: Good fight with some very nice uppercuts and punches landed by Sanchez. I think Palalei might have broken his nose there a couple of those punches landed right on the button.

Clementi/Guillard: Wasn't really surprised how this turned out. Pretty much every time Guillard ends up on the ground he gets submitted. The guys ground game is just terrible. And Clementi is good with submissions.

Machida/Sokodjou: Nice fight by Machida pretty much a perfect win for him. He is so illusive with striking, doesn't take many chances, and rarely takes any damage. He has an underrated ground game as well. Soko didn't look very comfortable off his back at all.

Silva/Liddell: Not really surprised how it went down. I thought Liddell would gradually pick him apart. Its not he smartest strategy to trade punches with Liddell like that. Wanderlei needed to throw more leg kicks and kicks to the body, he didn't attempt any knees at all plus he didn't attempt a takedown at all either. Not to say if he did shoot in for a takedown he would have got it but he should have tried to get the fight to the ground. It was a very good fight though Liddell was the better fighter but I believe if the fight had been in PRIDE Liddell would have been soccer kicked and kneed on the ground those few times he stumbled and fell on the ground.

Mohr/Manny: Nice fight by Manny he is so effective with his takedowns. I think if he and Diaz ever fight again i'm putting my money on Gamburyan. Nice leg lock as well you don't see many people finish fights with leg submissions.

GSP/Hughes: I don't think anyone is really surprised to see GSP win this. The first round looks very similar to their 2nd fight. Hughes just doesn't have any kind of striking to beat GSP and everyone knew he was going to try and take him to the ground. GSP has excellent wrestling and trains with some very good wrestlers. I didn't expect GSP to submit Hughes though there's not many people who can pull that off.

Old
12-30-2007, 03:03 PM
QuickDynamite

I'm starting to wonder if its possible for Wanderlei to cut down to 185. If he can drop the weight into a smaller weight class now would be the time to do it.

Old
12-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x View Post
Sanchez/Palalei: Good fight with some very nice uppercuts and punches landed by Sanchez. I think Palalei might have broken his nose there a couple of those punches landed right on the button.
Meh. It was like watching two bags of crap fight as they were both out of shape.

Quote:
Machida/Sokodjou: Nice fight by Machida pretty much a perfect win for him. He is so illusive with striking, doesn't take many chances, and rarely takes any damage. He has an underrated ground game as well. Soko didn't look very comfortable off his back at all.
Sokodjou looked lost and out of his element.
Quote:
GSP/Hughes: I don't think anyone is really surprised to see GSP win this. The first round looks very similar to their 2nd fight. Hughes just doesn't have any kind of striking to beat GSP and everyone knew he was going to try and take him to the ground. GSP has excellent wrestling and trains with some very good wrestlers. I didn't expect GSP to submit Hughes though there's not many people who can pull that off.
I'm wondering when Canada is going to get off its collective ass and ask GSP to wrestle in Beijing.

Old
12-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Feenom

GSP is simply awesome. This will setup his fight against Serra in late April for his revenge fight on home turf. Serra won't beat him this time, and his back better be 110% healthy or else he may be forced to retire after he fights GSP.

Btw, GSP turned down any mention of wrestling for Canada in the olympics to fight Hughes and now to train and avenge his loss against Serra. The UFC is his first obligation and frankly I would agree with him, he is the hottest fighter in MMA right now and he will be greatly rewarded for that fame.

Old
12-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Talentless Practise*

Watching Chuck and Wandy swing for the fences i couldn't avoid the feeling i'm watching the last dinosaurs of a time long gone. A feeling that this sport at it's highest level has passed these guys on. Loved the old-school action and it was truly exciting but at the same time not particularly impressive. Not when the very next fight you get to see GSP take off on a whole new level.

Old
12-31-2007, 12:51 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
Watching Chuck and Wandy swing for the fences i couldn't avoid the feeling i'm watching the last dinosaurs of a time long gone. A feeling that this sport at it's highest level has passed these guys on. Loved the old-school action and it was truly exciting but at the same time not particularly impressive. Not when the very next fight you get to see GSP take off on a whole new level.
I felt the same way. You know, I really enjoyed the fight, but to put things in perspective:
-Chuck ate a lot of tough shots from Silva, yet all it took was one lazy looping left by Rampage to put him flat on his back.
-Similarly, Silva took a lot of shots to the head and jaw from someone who for years was considered the hardest puncher in the 205 division, yet he couldn't handle a shot on the button from the 185lb Dan Henderson who had never been known for his standup prior to that fight.

I think that says it all.

Old
12-31-2007, 01:25 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

I'm going to request that this thread is locked to prevent any accidental spoilers for the tape delayed Yarenoka card.

Closed Thread