HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Shanahan Situation

Old
12-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
The Shanahan Situation

I know there are people who firmly stand on one side of this question while others such as myself are undecided.

Based on what you have seen thus far, do you bring back Shanahan for another year?

39 games in he is on pace to hit is mark from last year if he stays healthy.

29-33-62 in 67 Games last year
14-15-29 in 39 Games this year

For me, my only sticking point would be if he were to really take a pay cut which means no 2 million salary and then 2 million in bonuses... he would have to make less then he made this year hands down.

also, I think a lot of it has to do with how far we go/don't go in the post season.

I think it is still too early to tell, but I am just curious about peoples thoughts on the matter... I think if he still has legs come March, that might sway me a bit...

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 03:15 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
I know there are people who firmly stand on one side of this question while others such as myself are undecided.

Based on what you have seen thus far, do you bring back Shanahan for another year?

For me, my only sticking point would be if he were to really take a pay cut which means no 2 million salary and then 2 million in bonuses... he would have to make less then he made this year hands down.

also, I think a lot of it has to do with how far we go/don't go in the post season.

I think it is still too early to tell, but I am just curious about peoples thoughts on the matter... I think if he still has legs come March, that might sway me a bit...
i would give him 3 million only if jagr doesnt come back.....at some point there needs to be a spot for a younger player to step up

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 03:15 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

No. I think that's simply put, I don't agree with bringing him back, he'll be turning 40 next year. The guys age is showing, we love the guy, but it's showing, I'll be surprised if he even plays decent in the playoffs with the icetime he gets until the end of the season. It just simply won't be possible I think.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 03:19 PM
TrueBlue9

yes a ton of it has to do with a playoff run this year...however, his endurance does concern me. He looked good last year, but that may be because he missed 15 games with a concussion. While an injury is never any good, it did rest him up in the process....i wonder if he goes 82 this year if we will start to see some fatigue set in during the final stretch/playoffs. Depending on how well he handles that will have a significant effect on the answer to this question

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 03:20 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

bring him back

the man can still play and is a leader on and off the ice... 2 more years top.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 03:23 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i would give him 3 million only if jagr doesnt come back.....at some point there needs to be a spot for a younger player to step up

and who do you want those kids to learn the NHL ropes from?

Shanny's value to this team goes waaayyy beyond what he brings to the ice IMO.

He'll take a pay cut and be back for 1 more.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 03:28 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
and who do you want those kids to learn the NHL ropes from?

Shanny's value to this team goes waaayyy beyond what he brings to the ice IMO.

He'll take a pay cut and be back for 1 more.
there are a lot of players they can learn from besides shanny....and if that is why he is comin back pay him his 4 million and have him practice with the team as a coach so he doesnt affect the cap....

drury and gomez know a little bit about the nhl as well

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Trade that punk to Montreal

Do it! do It right now!

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Bretzky*

i want him back.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 03:33 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:

it'll be tough with rangers having to resign others (lundqvist, avery, the 3 d-men)

i was hoping bourret would be ready to step up and fill his shoes

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 03:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Maybe we can take the Niedermayer approach and bring him back mid-season next year. That way, we'd have a better understanding of where we're at with the development our prospects, and in turn the level of need for a 40 year old winger who may or may not have anything left in the tank. That's all predicated on the idea that Shanny would go for something like that, which may be unrealistic.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

I'd bring him back if he remains consistent for the rest of the season and into the playoffs. Shanny, even though the injury had something to do with it, seemed to run out of gas last year. Yes he was rejuvenated in the playoffs but 3 of his 5 playoff goals came vs. a terrible Thrashers team. I think he means a lot to this club and if he wants to come back I wouldn't be against it.
Renney has done a better job this season not overplaying him on the PK and I think he's talents could be used on the PP and on the third line at even strength next season.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 03:49 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Maybe we can take the Niedermayer approach and bring him back mid-season next year. That way, we'd have a better understanding of where we're at with the development our prospects, and in turn the level of need for a 40 year old winger who may or may not have anything left in the tank. That's all predicated on the idea that Shanny would go for something like that, which may be unrealistic.
The problem with that is that the Niedermayer situation was based on his reluctance to come back for another year. Unless we win the Cup this season, I doubt Shanny will have any doubts whatsoever. The guy is still such a competitor.

I would really really want to have Shanny back next season, but the others are right, it would have to be with a pay cut. He may not want to go for that, but with our younger core players at or near the end of their contracts, it's the way it'll have to be.

The same goes for Straka, who I actually want back even more. He and Jagr will likely have a great deal of influence on each other next season vis-a-vis coming back for another go.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 04:01 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
The problem with that is that the Niedermayer situation was based on his reluctance to come back for another year. Unless we win the Cup this season, I doubt Shanny will have any doubts whatsoever. The guy is still such a competitor.

I would really really want to have Shanny back next season, but the others are right, it would have to be with a pay cut. He may not want to go for that, but with our younger core players at or near the end of their contracts, it's the way it'll have to be.

The same goes for Straka, who I actually want back even more. He and Jagr will likely have a great deal of influence on each other next season vis-a-vis coming back for another go.
I like all three of our eldest players (Shanahan, Jagr, Straka) and wish they could play with us the way they are playing now for years to come, but it just simply doesn't work out that way. I believe this the last year you will see all 3 on the team at once, let alone if any return. Jagr needs to trigger to stay and then I wouldn't mind, Straka and Shanahan too, but I doubt they return.

Shanahan is approaching 40 and while he's still a good player, he's probably going to look out more for the sake of his family after this year, cup or not, I think he'd rather be with his kids than trying to pull it off as a old-timer in the NHL. I can't see him taking a pay cut either, not that he's not a nice and respectable guy or anything, but I just can't see that happening..

Next year and the year after that will be time for the younger players to step up, or, if by some stroke of luck, we grab someone like AO()

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 04:05 PM
broadwayblue

I think the answer has a lot to do with who else is coming back. Are we expecting Jagr back? How about Straka? If one of them is gone after this season I have no problem bringing Shanny back for one final tour. I agree that we will start to get some of the younger guys into the lineup, but they have to be ready.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 04:10 PM
Nich

he would need to take a pay cut.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 04:17 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
he would need to take a pay cut.
Why? If he's on a 1 year deal you can afford to overpay. Unless we plan on signing another 7m UFA over the summer we will be fine. If Straka and Jagr don't come back we can put that money towards Lundqvist, Rosy, and Avery. Plus the cap is likely to go up a few mil, so there shouldn't be much of a challenge to fit everyone in.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 04:20 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post

yeah i agree that straka would be more important to bring back with rangers not having a 1st line LW in farm

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 04:23 PM
mstraka82

resign shanny for one more year, or put him in the booth for him to takeover michelleti's job...

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 04:43 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I guess it all depends on how much money you have left in the cap and how much he's gonna cost. I'd sign him to the same money as this year, with the bonuses because the bonus doesn't impact the base team cap the same way a regular salary does.

If the Ranger's only have 2-3 million in cap space, sign Shanny. If they've got 5-6million in cap space, I'd rather see them go after a guy like Rolston.

I'd have no reservations about bringing a guy like Shanny back, because he's a tremendous help in developing young players and he's willing to take on any role that the team needs. He's a complete team player and leader. He can keep signing one year deals until he's ready to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
Trade that punk to Montreal
Do it! do It right now!
Must be a Habs fan....not happening bud!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 04:49 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If the Rangers win the cup he can do whatever he wants.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 06:21 PM
The Thomas J.*

I'm 50/50 on the subject, we could be seeing a huge roster turn over this off season

Jagr
Straka
Shanahan
Mara
Malik

Thats off the top of my head, thats like a 28% turnover in roster of impact players ( with Malik impacting the Rangers negativly )

one or two of those guys need to be resigned, I would start with Straka, Shanny is getting up there, if Jagr does not come back Shanny is Captain & he is the perfect choice for the Captaincy for the next 1 to 2 years.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 06:31 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

Best case scenario:

Shanny carries the cup one more time around Joe Louis Arena this spring and than retires a champion and a NY Ranger

12-31-2007, 06:33 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Looks like Shnny has really heated up lately. His last few goals on his wrist shots were wicked. What shots.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Brendan Shanahan, Wayne Gretzky, and Joe Sakic.

My 3 favorite NHL players of all time.

With that said, there is no way I bring him back. Love the guy, and I know he can play another year but with henrik getting a huge payday, shannys bonuses carrying over, rozsival, tyutin and girardi all getting raises, and Cherepanov and Anisimov possibly being ready, not to mention Dawes, I think its time to move on.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote