HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Important road trip

Old
12-31-2007, 12:43 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
The point is that in the grand scheme of things this trip doesn't mean much.
Bologna

Quote:
You want to play well and get points. But that's the same for every game.
And with a close division and conference every game "means much". If you wait until the end of the year to focus on "important" games, you've squandered all the important games throughout the season.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 12:47 PM
clmetsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I can see Avery and Phaneauf go at it.
Phaneuf - 6'3" 215
Avery - 5'9" 195

Yeah, that one seems really likely.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 12:52 PM
ohbaby

All the games are important, and for sure, the Rangers will take heed on last years lessons. But the season will not be over if they have a lousy 3 game road trip. This trip is going to be very tough on them.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 01:25 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Phaneuf - 6'3" 215
Avery - 5'9" 195

Yeah, that one seems really likely.
It's easy to forget how ,realatively, small Avery really is, since he plays so much larger. I hope he his body doesn't wear out too early. It'd be great if he were 6-2 210, though you can say that about alot of guys.

I think you cut an inch off him.
[http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app?page...2&service=page
TSN has him at 5-10 too.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

It is an important road trip, as most have been saying, I'd be happy with 4 points out of 6.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 01:43 PM
NYR Viper

the rangers are feeling good about themselves and hoping to get on a roll.....this is a very important road trip to say the least.....look at what the lsat road trip out west did.....they were feeling horrible about the way they were playing...they need points and this is their opportunity

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 01:43 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
It's easy to forget how ,realatively, small Avery really is, since he plays so much larger. I hope he his body doesn't wear out too early. It'd be great if he were 6-2 210, though you can say that about alot of guys.

I think you cut an inch off him.
[http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app?page...2&service=page
TSN has him at 5-10 too.
Yahoo and ESPN have him at 5'9". I'm inclined to believe them, not because of any credibility, but because I met Avery in person the other day, and I was just about eye-level with him (and I'm just shy of 5'7"). But either way you look at it, he's giving up about half a foot and 20 lbs. to Phaneuf -- no way he's gonna drop em against a guy who's that much bigger than him.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 03:53 PM
Choice

Quote:
I'd like to think Henrik starts all of these games. Which is why he was just given Saturday off. That was my thinking when this happened. He's fresh. He can play back to back and I don't see him not getting the first game in Calgary OR the next night versus Luongo. You're right about the possibility of Edmonton but I think if he plays well there's no way he's not out there for that game either.
I'm in favor of starting Valiq a lot. The fresher Henrik is in April the tougher an out the Rangers will be in the (fingers crossed) playoffs.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 04:09 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

He plays

He plays all 3, ride him...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 09:53 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

I'm already getting excited for Henke-Luongo.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 01:41 AM
nikzherdev

Thinking Lundqvist will play all three...Hoping they can win at least 2...3 would be great as well . Don't like the games being on later though. Staying up past my bedtime!

nikzherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 03:50 AM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Avery doesn't really fight guys 6'3" like Phaneuf.
That's essentially the point.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 10:29 AM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

Hank vs. Luongo and Kipper should be a highlight (i hope he starts against that AHL-goalie in edmonton too).

I'll be happy for 1-1-1, we havent looked good against the west this season.

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 10:53 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Bologna

And with a close division and conference every game "means much". If you wait until the end of the year to focus on "important" games, you've squandered all the important games throughout the season.

How on earth is this road trip relevant to how things go in April? Explain that one. It's a three game road trip in January. You're telling me if we get swept there's no way we're doing anything come playoff time? Give me a break. The next time we go out on the road, let's start another thread called Important Road Trip. And the time after that, let's do it again. And then again. These are 3 games. That's it. Let's not make it out to be the end of the world either way.

And as for your last point. Yes. Which is why making this out to be anything more than any other game is ridiculous. Every game and every point matters for sure. But attempting to say that this road trip is more important than any other one just isn't true.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Blueshirt Special

It's not about "the end of the world". It's about shaping expectations at the mid-point of the season.

And in my opinion, if we drop 2 or all 3 games I will have limited expectations about what we can accomplish in the playoffs.

On the other hand, if we can find a way to win all 3, I may start to believe that this team, as it is currently put together, may go far come playoff time.

But if we lose badly, I am going to get back on the "we need a big, nasty forward" soap-box.

I'm still not convinced that this team can do any better than we did last year. I'm still not convinced that Jags is the guy to take us there. I'll happily eat my words if he goes on a tear and gets us "there". Let me see 5 out of the possible 6 points, and I'll start getting juiced.

I never said: "if we don't win these 3 games, it's over", but I will be saying "We have to make a move".

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 12:13 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
It's not about "the end of the world". It's about shaping expectations at the mid-point of the season.

And in my opinion, if we drop 2 or all 3 games I will have limited expectations about what we can accomplish in the playoffs.

On the other hand, if we can find a way to win all 3, I may start to believe that this team, as it is currently put together, may go far come playoff time.

But if we lose badly, I am going to get back on the "we need a big, nasty forward" soap-box.

I'm still not convinced that this team can do any better than we did last year. I'm still not convinced that Jags is the guy to take us there. I'll happily eat my words if he goes on a tear and gets us "there". Let me see 5 out of the possible 6 points, and I'll start getting juiced.

I never said: "if we don't win these 3 games, it's over", but I will be saying "We have to make a move".

Hahah. So basically you're explaining how dramatic you are when it comes to every game. We win a game, and you think this team has a chance. We lose one and we need another forward, Jagr's not the guy, and we've got to make some trades. What a joke. It's fans like you that make these message boards rather obnoxious. But extremely entertaining. So carry on.

How can you honestly make determinations on your expecations for April on these three games? If the win-loss is two games in either direction your expectations change from being limited to being excited at us making a run. You're insane.

Old
01-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Blueshirt Special

robruckus: You're like 12 right?

sorry. never mind.

Old
01-01-2008, 12:46 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
robruckus: You're like 12 right?

sorry. never mind.
An expected response. I wouldn't expect any real explanations from you.

Old
01-01-2008, 01:48 PM
debil

I'd love you if you made 4 points. with sucks and losers.

debil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 01:55 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by debil View Post
I'd love you if you made 4 points. with sucks and losers.

No, you wouldn't. Because, if you read, if we get 4 points we're winning the stanley cup. So it would be better for you if we only get 2 or 3. Then you'll still have a chance to win the whole thing and we'll be done.

Old
01-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Blueshirt Special

No, if we win the next game we are going to win the cup, if we lose a game after that, we are the worst team in the league and should trade the entire roster. But if we win a game after that, then we are DEFINITLEY winning the cup, but if we a lose just one more game we are the worst team in the history of the NHL, but if we win a game then this is our year , but if we lose a game after that, then Lord Stanley himself is going to come back from the dead and beat robruckus over the head.

Or something like that........

Old
01-02-2008, 07:04 AM
ohbaby

The realilty of this road trip, is that we won't win not one game. And even if we do sweep, I don't think they could just hand us over the Cup, as if the rest is academic.
Our chances in the second season looks to be on par with last year. And had not Drury scored that goal, who knows how far we might have went.

And on second thought, we might have been stronger last year. Doubt very much if we go into the playoffs this year as hot as we did a year ago.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Blueshirt Special

Well, 1 down. What little I saw of the game looked like we were playing with a lot of energy. Guess we just couldn't stop Jerome.......

We need a win tonight, but I think it's just going to get tougher.

Are West Conf teams that good?

I think the Rangers have been giving a very good effort past few games except for maybe that 2nd period against Montreal.

Old
01-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

[QUOTE=TrappedinNJ;11867471We need a win tonight, but I think it's just going to get tougher.

Are West Conf teams that good?[/QUOTE]

0-4-1 against the West and 1-3 vs. Ottawa this season. That does not bode well for the future and the upcoming postseason. At least we've been better on the road after that terrible 0-5-1 start.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
We need a win tonight, but I think it's just going to get tougher.

Are West Conf teams that good?
0-4-1 against the West and 1-3 vs. Ottawa this season. That does not bode well for the future and the upcoming postseason. At least we've been better on the road after that terrible 0-5-1 start.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote