HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Future Greats and Hearbreaks by Gare Joyce

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-31-2007, 11:56 PM
  #51
Free Torts
Registered User
 
Free Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,971
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gare joyce View Post
Kirk, thanks for that. The one problem: What to do next. I have a couple of ideas for smaller books. We'll see.
No problem, I can't wait to crack it open tomorrow morning.

My wife is from Summerside, PEI and Doug MacLean is something of a folk hero there. She is curious to know, what was your opinion of him?

Thanks.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 12:07 AM
  #52
gare joyce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Doug is a good guy and politically shrewd. I first dealt with him when he was in Fla. thru the playoff run to the final. (Funny, I just saw Uwe Krupp at under-17s.) Doug always had time to talk -- I remember right before the end of his time with the Panthers he waswearing the stress all over his grill ... only time I saw him like that -- and he still got it together to talk. He will always swear by the Fedorov trade (still announcing that CBJ are .500 since that trade, like that's a strong case). I like Fedorov but Doug always argued the glass half full rather than acknowledging (or realizing soon enough) that the glass is half empty (and full of acid).

gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 12:09 AM
  #53
Louis Houde
Registered User
 
Louis Houde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Trois-rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,770
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
I just bought your book sir Joyce. I just cannot wait to read it!
Happy new year to you sir.

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 01:09 AM
  #54
gare joyce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Hopefully, another satisfied customer. HNY to you too.

gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 10:18 AM
  #55
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Question for Gare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gare joyce View Post
(Funny, I just saw Uwe Krupp at under-17s.)
If you're at the U17's, what do you think of our 2 Wheaties who are lighting up the score board. Brayden Schenn (Lukes brother) and Scott Glennie?

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 11:15 PM
  #56
ZombieMatt
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pedersen View Post
No problem, I can't wait to crack it open tomorrow morning.

My wife is from Summerside, PEI and Doug MacLean is something of a folk hero there. She is curious to know, what was your opinion of him?

Thanks.
Not to hijack the thread, but I just want to echo the sentiments about what a willing person MacLean is to talk. When I used to be out in New Brunswick, I routinely covered the Q through a generous arrangement with the Moncton Wildcats. They had let me know Doug was in the building to see Pineault play that night, so I tracked him down in the upper bowl with one of the team's scouts and he was more than willing to chat with me throughout the intermission and most of the next period.

ZombieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 09:48 AM
  #57
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
can't wait to read your book Mr. Joyce...I've only been waiting for it to come for 3 and a half weeks

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 09:59 AM
  #58
gare joyce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
My apologies. Hope it's worth the wait.

gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 05:49 PM
  #59
gare joyce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
For sbtatter: Off what I saw in the semis and bronze medal game, Brayden Schenn might be the best player at the tournament. I really admired Team West. Hard luck not to make the final and Schenn was great in both games (especially a bronze smoking of Pacific). The other guy I liked on Team West, not the same prospect by any stretch, just a good junior player, was a kid named Adam Hugesman (with Tri City). But the whole team competed--if somehat out-manned in the semi.

Another kid I highly recommend is Matthew Duchesne of the Brampton Battalion. Clearly Ontario's best player (ahead of some other more talked about kids, like O'Reilly or Ellis).

gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 06:59 PM
  #60
Free Torts
Registered User
 
Free Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,971
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I just want to echo the sentiments about what a willing person MacLean is to talk. When I used to be out in New Brunswick, I routinely covered the Q through a generous arrangement with the Moncton Wildcats. They had let me know Doug was in the building to see Pineault play that night, so I tracked him down in the upper bowl with one of the team's scouts and he was more than willing to chat with me throughout the intermission and most of the next period.
He sounds like a nice guy who likes attention from anywhere he can get it. My mother in law actually went to high school with him, Gerard Gallant and their play-by-play guy, George Matthews.

Gare, I must say, I am really enjoying the book so far. I normally slog through books slowly because I quickly lose interest after starting one, only reading a few pages at a time.

But I've read a little more than half your book in two sittings, I have enjoyed it greatly. You have done a fantastic job. As a journalist myself, you lived out my dream in that time with the Jackets.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 07:45 PM
  #61
gare joyce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Kirk, if you're halfway thru it, you're still in the dream sequence. The nightmare starts in the second half. Thanks for that, tho'. Much appreciated.

gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 07:55 PM
  #62
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,442
vCash: 500
Gare, picked up a copy today and just finished the prologue in between periods of the gold medal game of the Under 17's on TSN.

Can't wait to read more. Did you ever find out who the hot blonde was working for ISS?

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 08:25 PM
  #63
gare joyce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Less hot than annoying. Funny you mention it. After the bronze-medal game in London this afternoon a guy from ISS let me know he didn't appreciate the portrayal of the outfit. Oh well, can't satisfy everybody.

gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 08:30 PM
  #64
Duff88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gare joyce View Post
For sbtatter: Off what I saw in the semis and bronze medal game, Brayden Schenn might be the best player at the tournament. I really admired Team West. Hard luck not to make the final and Schenn was great in both games (especially a bronze smoking of Pacific). The other guy I liked on Team West, not the same prospect by any stretch, just a good junior player, was a kid named Adam Hugesman (with Tri City). But the whole team competed--if somehat out-manned in the semi.

Another kid I highly recommend is Matthew Duchesne of the Brampton Battalion. Clearly Ontario's best player (ahead of some other more talked about kids, like O'Reilly or Ellis).
I've always been under the impression that Matt Duschene was a more highly touted player than O'Reilly or Ellis actually. Isn't it the case?

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 08:32 PM
  #65
Gucci mane
 
Gucci mane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cambridge,Ontario
Country: United States
Posts: 158
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Gucci mane
Hey gare thanks for making such a great book. I just got this yesterday couldnt stop reading it.

Gucci mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 08:39 PM
  #66
gare joyce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Duff,

From the OHL site: "Ryan O'Reilly of the Toronto Jr. Canadiens was the first overall pick in the 2007 OHL Priority Selection. O'Reilly collected 31 goals and 43 assists for 74 points in 50 games. The Windsor Spitfires followed up by selecting forward Taylor Hall from Greater Kingston. The Toronto St. Michael's Majors selected Casey Cizikas from the Mississauga IceDogs third overall. The Peterborough Petes selected forward Zack Kassian from Windsor with the fourth overall pick and the Brampton Battalion rounded out the top five when they selected forward Matthew Duchene from the Central Ontario Wolves."

I like Duchene more than the other guys and I don't doubt he'd be the top pick if there was a do-over, not that the other guys are bad. My way: Duchene, Hall, O'Reilly, Kassian and Cizikas, probably.

gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 08:49 PM
  #67
Duff88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gare joyce View Post
Duff,

From the OHL site: "Ryan O'Reilly of the Toronto Jr. Canadiens was the first overall pick in the 2007 OHL Priority Selection. O'Reilly collected 31 goals and 43 assists for 74 points in 50 games. The Windsor Spitfires followed up by selecting forward Taylor Hall from Greater Kingston. The Toronto St. Michael's Majors selected Casey Cizikas from the Mississauga IceDogs third overall. The Peterborough Petes selected forward Zack Kassian from Windsor with the fourth overall pick and the Brampton Battalion rounded out the top five when they selected forward Matthew Duchene from the Central Ontario Wolves."

I like Duchene more than the other guys and I don't doubt he'd be the top pick if there was a do-over, not that the other guys are bad. My way: Duchene, Hall, O'Reilly, Kassian and Cizikas, probably.
I might be wrong, I'm not a huge O follower, but Duschene had commited to Michigan State (verbally) way back in 2006. I'm thinking he may have been drafted lower because of this situation, much like Esposito did in the Q, although Esposito had not commited to anything.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 08:55 PM
  #68
gare joyce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Duff, I think O'Reilly was hyped as the top one no matter what Duschene was going to do ... I know that Warren Rychel wanted him bad (on top of being Bill Bowler's cousin [or second cousin, I can never get that straight) ... but O'Reilly as the certain first might have been Toronto hype. You could well be right.

gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 09:02 PM
  #69
Duff88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gare joyce View Post
Duff, I think O'Reilly was hyped as the top one no matter what Duschene was going to do ... I know that Warren Rychel wanted him bad (on top of being Bill Bowler's cousin [or second cousin, I can never get that straight) ... but O'Reilly as the certain first might have been Toronto hype. You could well be right.
Thanks, you're probably right though, I was kinda talking through my hat.

Always nice seeing you pop up here every now and then with your stories, keep up!

Oh BTW, is Filatov's reputation that bad? I mean, there's this new HF article I just read and it doesn't give the same outlook as your book.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 09:11 PM
  #70
Canuck71
Registered User
 
Canuck71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,213
vCash: 500
Just wondering how much the book costs in Canadian $. I'd really love to pick up a book such as this one because NHL scouting and prospects really are an exciting topic to me. This book has had great reviews from many hockey lovers and Id really love to pick up a copy of it. Also how many pages long is it?

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 09:19 PM
  #71
Riggins
Registered User
 
Riggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,207
vCash: 500
I think it is $29.99 and 330 pages or so. Well worth it. Check soon and bookstores may still have sales on, I got mine 30% off.

It is divided into 3 sections.

1) 2006 draft. In the Columbus war room.
2) Scouting games through the 2007 year.
3) 2007 draft.

You get lots of inside info on prospects you won't get elsewhere. Phil Kessel, Jakub Voracek, Akim Aliu just to name a select few.

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 09:27 PM
  #72
Canucks5551
Registered User
 
Canucks5551's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,172
vCash: 500
I just finished your book on the brawl in the 1987 World Juniors, a very interesting read I must say.

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 10:39 PM
  #73
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gare joyce View Post
For sbtatter: Off what I saw in the semis and bronze medal game, Brayden Schenn might be the best player at the tournament. I really admired Team West. Hard luck not to make the final and Schenn was great in both games (especially a bronze smoking of Pacific). The other guy I liked on Team West, not the same prospect by any stretch, just a good junior player, was a kid named Adam Hugesman (with Tri City). But the whole team competed--if somehat out-manned in the semi.

Another kid I highly recommend is Matthew Duchesne of the Brampton Battalion. Clearly Ontario's best player (ahead of some other more talked about kids, like O'Reilly or Ellis).
Thanks Gare, Our here in Brandon we think Shenn's one of the premier 91's...big, strong can skate and score....
Ordered your book from Coles online, should be here next week!!

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 12:14 AM
  #74
gare joyce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Duff,

I spoke to Duchene tonight after the game. (Before I could ask him a question, he told me that he read my Crosby book, so don't look for me to say a critical word ... about a teenager who reads, that is.) Anyway, he suggested that he would have been up against it to play two years of Tier II before heading off to MSU. Even a year in Tier II would be time on the treadmill for him. If a major junior team can't figure that out--that this kid is best served by playing major junior--they have no one to blame but themselves if another team picking after them scoops a better talent. Duchene made it sound like the commitment to MSU was "an option" ... Turris, by way of comparison, was locked in, not about to consider anything else.

And I don't think that what I wrote about Filatov runs counter to the "prospects" profile you linked to -- the scouts I was sitting with all laughed when he scored the big goal at the 18s and his team-mates shrugged and ignored him. Not saying that he's a bad character. Maybe it's envy, youth, whatever. I think he's a helluva talent.


Last edited by gare joyce: 01-05-2008 at 12:19 AM.
gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 11:31 AM
  #75
johnny canuckistan
Registered User
 
johnny canuckistan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,139
vCash: 500
I enjoyed the book, and have also enjoyed the book on Piestany.

I was particularly horrified to read about what it's like for these young WHL'ers to play in Swift Current. I would have assumed that they would have a generally positive experience playing in a small town that is lucky to have a franchise, and yet it seems to be the opposite. Very strange.

Anyway, thanks for a good read Gare.

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.