HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Shanahan Situation

Old
12-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Forever Blue

vCash: 500
If he continues performing at this pace for the remainder of the season, of course you bring him back. This is a team that is trying to win a Stanley Cup, and he's still one of the best forwards here.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 06:10 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Shanny had a great first half last year too, and then disappeared. Yes he had the collision with Knuble but he had disappeared well before that. In fact, the concussion might have helped him rest up for the playoffs. I would be very wary of Shanny fading again, and if he does, I would probably lean towards not resigning him. The same thing happened to Messier in his later years, he would start out on fire and then disappear down the stretch when we needed him the most.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 12:33 AM
bumrusherer

Veteran leadership is important. Obviously it is dependant on price, but I;d love to have him back.

One of my fave guys. Always willing, always accountable.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 01:39 AM
nikzherdev

If he continues what he has been doing then probably, but I doubt he will...But what do I know. Guess we will just have to watch and see.

nikzherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 03:13 AM
Kostik

Only if Shanny will cut on his salary...3M$ max.
Show us that you really like to play in NY Shanny.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 06:54 AM
eco's bones

Something to consider--if Jagr doesn't come back does that mean Straka, Roszival, Shanny decide not to also? The other Czechs particularly Straka who has been weighing taking his family back home the last two seasons might decide to play elsewhere.

One thing with Shanny's fatigue problem is overplaying him--considering that we have a number of other forwards who don't or rarely kill penalties--Dawes, Prucha, Orr, Hollweg, Dubinsky (though I'm sure he'll be doing it some in the future) there are situations in which we could lighten the load he has on his shoulders.

Would I mind him coming back? Depends--how much money he wants and how much we can afford and what kind of personnel we have. I don't think Shanny though will come back if the Rangers chances don't look good. That may well center around Jagr.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't think you can make a decision on Shanny until we see what happens in the playoffs.

My feeling is that he has only just now started to fully recover from that conknussion from last season. He may have some glory for us...

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 08:57 AM
VisionQuest*

100% about the DDs, dough and desire.

if he loves playing in NY, which he apparently does. He's got a nice home, his kids go to school here, he will probably continue to live here full time after his career is over anyway, and it looks like the Rangers will continue to be competitive next season and challenge for the upper crust of the east, he will probably stay on for next to nothing and mentor guys like Cally etc.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 01:58 PM
nyyfan2

Just bought a place...

There was a mention in today's NY Post that Shanny just bought an apartment on Park Ave for $13.4 million.

I would guess he is going to be here for a little while otherwise why would you drop that money in today's market.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01012008...ger_768809.htm

nyyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I'd bring him back, but only if we reduce his cap hit by the same amount of dead cap space from his bonus this year.

Assuming that Jagr doesn't come back, and by extension Straka, I'd make Shanny a low ball deal for one year to work with the kids who will populate the 2nd and third lines.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Ola

Id defenitly want both him and Straka back, if a kid is ready they will make room, and stability is just extremely important.

But, then there is the capsituation. Allot of guys are up for a raise in salary, and we wont have much room.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 04:29 PM
eco's bones

I would especially like to see Straka back. He's a good player and always gives a great effort all over the ice. He has made noises though about going back to the Czech Rep. and it may come if Jagr doesn't return.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest View Post
100% about the DDs, dough and desire.

if he loves playing in NY, which he apparently does. He's got a nice home, his kids go to school here, he will probably continue to live here full time after his career is over anyway, and it looks like the Rangers will continue to be competitive next season and challenge for the upper crust of the east, he will probably stay on for next to nothing and mentor guys like Cally etc.
If Shanny was able to squeeze our pockets for about 5 million this year, there's no freaking way he's staying on for "next to nothing."

I bet this ends in bad terms, with Shanny thinking he deserves more than the Rangers want to pay him.

Old
01-01-2008, 06:05 PM
polako

If it's a NYR-or-retire situation for Shanny, I'd like to see him on the 4th line, while playing the PP and PK. Definitely think he'd be a great asset in that role.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I would especially like to see Straka back. He's a good player and always gives a great effort all over the ice. He has made noises though about going back to the Czech Rep. and it may come if Jagr doesn't return.
Yeah, Straka and Shanny makes the players around them better. Straka on the ice, he must be so easy to play will. He recognize what needs to be done on the ice, and does it. Shanny is a huge help for guys like Avery, and probabaly several of the other players too. He got so much credability, and he is so commited to winning.

Looking at a team like Detroit its obvious how much success they have had with haning on to allot of veterans that have had success there almost forever, player that they know work in their system. We should do that same to the extent its possible within the cap.

If a kid is ready, we got plenty of options to make room for that kid.

Old
01-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
If it's a NYR-or-retire situation for Shanny, I'd like to see him on the 4th line, while playing the PP and PK. Definitely think he'd be a great asset in that role.
+1

In a Dave Andrechuk in Tampa 04' role.

Old
01-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Celestial Black

He has been playing well and really is a leader to others on the ice. He have given the Rangers plenty of opportunities and I would love to see him again at least for 1 more year, especially if he keeps playing like he has so far.

I would like to see him retire as a Ranger.

Last edited by Celestial Black: 01-02-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 11:40 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Still has one of the best relases in the game. I would wait it out a little longer before I decide if I want shanny back 1 more year.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

I don't think Shanny himself is thinking about it right now, why should we?

If he finishes strong, if the team has unfinished business in the playoffs, and if he feels he could give it one more go, yes bring him back.. but there's a lot of time left until these things can be decided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfan2 View Post
There was a mention in today's NY Post that Shanny just bought an apartment on Park Ave for $13.4 million.

I would guess he is going to be here for a little while otherwise why would you drop that money in today's market.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01012008...ger_768809.htm
Wow! Good for him, sounds like a very nice pad.. I guess even when he retires we'll be seeing him around the organization for a while..

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Why would I want to give $3M to an old guy who may wind up becoming a third liner next year when the same money can go to someone 10 years younger?

Mara+Malik+Shanny+Strudwick=$10M

For that kind of money, we can sign a very good puck moving dman (Boyle for $6) and a solid second liner (for $3), with $1 plus the rise in the cap going to pay increases.

Or we can sign a star winger (Hossa for $7) and a hard-hitting second-pair defenseman ($2M), and again, we'd have $1 plus the rise in the cap for pay increases.

If the Sharks offered Michalek for Shanny and Rosie, I would do it. And they might do that too if we throw in Prucha and/or Dawes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
I know there are people who firmly stand on one side of this question while others such as myself are undecided.

Based on what you have seen thus far, do you bring back Shanahan for another year?

39 games in he is on pace to hit is mark from last year if he stays healthy.

29-33-62 in 67 Games last year
14-15-29 in 39 Games this year

For me, my only sticking point would be if he were to really take a pay cut which means no 2 million salary and then 2 million in bonuses... he would have to make less then he made this year hands down.

also, I think a lot of it has to do with how far we go/don't go in the post season.

I think it is still too early to tell, but I am just curious about peoples thoughts on the matter... I think if he still has legs come March, that might sway me a bit...

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 07:12 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Why would I want to give $3M to an old guy who may wind up becoming a third liner next year when the same money can go to someone 10 years younger?
For me its all about stability. We cannot keep changing 4-6 players every season. We got a tremendous team on paper this season, but that is comprimised with the fact that 50% of our blueline wasn't here 12 month ago, and that we got 3 new centers and 1 new winger. Chemistry is extremely important. Take our 2nd line for example, they aren't all that impressive 5 on 5. They basically don't create any prolonged pressure in the attacking zone because they struggle in the transition play. I am 100% sure though that they would have been much better in that aspect if Drury would have been here longer, had more chemistry with our D's and linemates.

Shanny and Straka IMO are players that works in NY, in their role in the system, on the ice and with their teammates. And they now got chemistry with their linemates.

There is nothing wrong at all with having around 4 35+ vets on a team, they provide allot to the lockerroom. You need that mix. I defenitly think Slats should work hard to keep both Shanny and Straka. Maybe go with Struds again as a 7th D, and go with Hutchinson/Pck-Sauer/Struds as the 3rd pairing on D next season. Then it might be possible that we can afford to resign everybody and still keep Straka and Shanny.

If a kid is ready, like Dawes/AC/AA/Korpedo I got no doubts that they will be make room for him. We looked to have very little room this season, but as things have turned out it wouldn't have taken much at all for a kid to win a spot. Basically just showing up and playing decent would have been enough...

Old
01-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
For me its all about stability. We cannot keep changing 4-6 players every season. We got a tremendous team on paper this season, but that is comprimised with the fact that 50% of our blueline wasn't here 12 month ago, and that we got 3 new centers and 1 new winger. Chemistry is extremely important. Take our 2nd line for example, they aren't all that impressive 5 on 5. They basically don't create any prolonged pressure in the attacking zone because they struggle in the transition play. I am 100% sure though that they would have been much better in that aspect if Drury would have been here longer, had more chemistry with our D's and linemates.

Shanny and Straka IMO are players that works in NY, in their role in the system, on the ice and with their teammates. And they now got chemistry with their linemates.

There is nothing wrong at all with having around 4 35+ vets on a team, they provide allot to the lockerroom. You need that mix. I defenitly think Slats should work hard to keep both Shanny and Straka. Maybe go with Struds again as a 7th D, and go with Hutchinson/Pck-Sauer/Struds as the 3rd pairing on D next season. Then it might be possible that we can afford to resign everybody and still keep Straka and Shanny.

If a kid is ready, like Dawes/AC/AA/Korpedo I got no doubts that they will be make room for him. We looked to have very little room this season, but as things have turned out it wouldn't have taken much at all for a kid to win a spot. Basically just showing up and playing decent would have been enough...
In a capped league you are always going to be trading out at least 4-6 players a season.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:31 AM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
If Shanny was able to squeeze our pockets for about 5 million this year, there's no freaking way he's staying on for "next to nothing."
You're probably right, my point was, those would have to be the two conditions for him staying, if that doesnt happen, then see ya. At some point he has to realize that if he wants to keep playing hockey, he has to go the way of cheli and sign for one year, low salary, incentive laden deals.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Mrpuck

I'll just echo some of the other posts. If he comes back at a reduced rate it would have to definitely be considered.

But if you have Hossa sitting out there, it would be tough to tie 3-4M up in Shanny if bringing in Marian is an option.

And even if they don't bring him in, resigning our long term foundation is essential first.

With that said, if cap space is not an issue I wouldn't be unhappy seeing him in a Rangers sweater again next year.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Fletch

At $5.3MM per...

I probably wouldn't want him back. At $3MM per, I'd definitely consider it, depending on how he finishes the season. Of course, he probably wouldn't consider that. The real issue is this team doesn't really have a bona fide 20 goal soring winger outside Jagr, Shanny and Straka, and even Straka is suspect. But again, I'm sure there's a 20 goal scorer out there for $5.3MM (or more) who's younger. The leadership qualities are nice, but this team will have Drury and Gomez for seasons to come and while they aren't Shanny, they are quite capable.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote