HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2007, 07:51 AM
NYRJurgen88

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
at this point (so early on) we must think we're going deep into the playoffs (why think negatively at this stage of the year?) so we will have a late pick...

therefore i go best player available or a scoring forward with size and preferably a winger.

We have a lot of good young centers behind Drury and Gomer so more help for the post Jagr/Straka/Shanny era on Wing is best.

Old
12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Mark Seidel over at The Hockey News has posted his Top 10 for the 2008 Entry Draft. Heavy on the OHL.

Here's his Next 10 to whet your appetites

Quote:
The Next 10:

No. 11 – Cody Hodgson; C, Brampton Battalion
No. 12 – Luke Schenn; D, Kelowna Rockets
No. 13 – Tyler Cuma; D, Ottawa 67’s
No. 14 – Yann Sauve; D, Saint John Seadogs
No. 15 – Michael Bodker; RW, Kitchener Rangers
No. 16 – Joe Colbourne; C, Camrose Kodiaks
No. 17 – Evgeni Grachev; RW, Yaroslavl
No. 18 – Mikhail Stefanovich; RW, Quebec Remparts
No. 19 – Zac Boychuk; C, Lethbridge Hurricanes
No. 20 – David Toews; LW, Shattuck St. Mary’s

Old
12-06-2007, 04:29 PM
dank

David Toews ay? hmmmmm...

Old
12-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I want wings and defensemen. We can always get a center, not to mention that our centers (Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky and Betts, as well as Anisimov and Moore) will be here for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
too early?

either way, here is a draft (from Dobbers)that has us at #4 and picking

http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/644/1/

it may be too early, in terms of location of picks/and teams picking where, however i think it is a good way to track the players and potential etc.. how they progress and how our team does as well..

Old
12-06-2007, 05:54 PM
JayMan82

I wouldn't mind taking a Goaltender for the long term (especially if we trade Montoya)... Wingers are a MUST!!!

Old
12-18-2007, 02:28 PM
dank

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11183&hubname=

ISS Preliminary 2008 List for December

Old
12-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Edge

Beach is the kid I've watched for a few years now. But I see almost no chance we get him.

Old
01-02-2008, 09:42 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Goaltending

I don't know if the Rangers would want to use another high pick on a goaltender like last season, but Harri Sateri has played great so far in the WJC's for Finland and could be a solid pick up in the 2nd round, where I think he will more than likely go.

I'm not giving up of Lafleur or however its spelt, but goaltending is def. a position where this organization lacks depth. I think the Ranger focus should be on a LW or Center in the first, then goaltending and right wing depth.

Last edited by UAGoalieGuy: 01-02-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old
01-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I don't know if the Rangers would want to use another high pick on a goaltender like last season, but Harri Sateri has played great so far in the WJC's for Finland and could be a solid pick up in the 2nd round, where I think he will more than likely go.

I'm not giving up of Lafleur or however its spelt, but goaltending is def. a position where this organization lacks depth. I think the Ranger focus should be on a LW or Center in the first, then goaltending and right wing depth.
This is not the kind of draft where you're going want to spend a 1st-2nd on a goalie.

Having Lundqvist and Montoya already, I see no need to spend a high pick on a goalie. I say draft one or two 3rd round and on and hope you have one turn out at least half as good as Lundqvist.

Old
01-02-2008, 09:58 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
We'll be selecting 30th.
Couldn't have said it better

Old
01-02-2008, 10:11 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
This is not the kind of draft where you're going want to spend a 1st-2nd on a goalie.

Having Lundqvist and Montoya already, I see no need to spend a high pick on a goalie. I say draft one or two 3rd round and on and hope you have one turn out at least half as good as Lundqvist.
If the Rangers deal Montoya at the deadline, the Rangers might have to take a goalie in the 2nd or 3rd round. There should be plunty good goalies available in those rounds.

I think in the 2nd round the Rangers have to go for the best player available, because this draft is so deep. The addition of another quality RW'er couldn't hurt as well.

Old
01-02-2008, 10:19 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm hoping for the best player available at every pick. I've never been a fan of drafting based on need in any sport outside the NFL. There's just too much uncertainty and roster turnover from year to year in the NHL, it's difficult to predict what the team will need 3 or more years down the road.

That being said, I wouldn't want a center.

It's just pain.
Old
01-02-2008, 10:39 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm hoping for the best player available at every pick. I've never been a fan of drafting based on need in any sport outside the NFL. There's just too much uncertainty and roster turnover from year to year in the NHL, it's difficult to predict what the team will need 3 or more years down the road.

That being said, I wouldn't want a center.
That's always been my philosophy as well. The draft is such a huge crapshoot, might as well go with who the best player available is to increase your odds of getting something worthwhile.

Old
01-02-2008, 10:40 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
yeah, i have heard many good to great things about him. anyone care to elaborate? maybe he could be our first prospect/draftee profile?
the only thing that teams are worried about with him is his temper....but hey, u never know...he could be the Cherepanov of this year

Old
01-02-2008, 07:16 PM
spanky8992

Send a message via AIM to spanky8992
Quote:
My early crushes are Voynov and Tessier.
I agree on Voynov. I was watching the game today and he really stood out on Defence.

Old
01-02-2008, 07:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Nikita Filatov

Old
01-02-2008, 09:22 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Nikita Filatov
He is a player that I have liked so far. Some websites have him listed as a LW'er and others as a RW'er. Can anyone shed some light onto what his natural position is? It would be nice if he was a LW'er. The Rangers could eventually have a line of Filatov-Anismov-Chereponov. I don't think he will be available when the Rangers pick, unless he falls like Chereponov did last season or the Rangers trade up. I can see him going in the 10-20 range. He could drop a little bit because it has been said he has some character issues.

Old
01-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
He is a player that I have liked so far. Some websites have him listed as a LW'er and others as a RW'er. Can anyone shed some light onto what his natural position is? It would be nice if he was a LW'er. The Rangers could eventually have a line of Filatov-Anismov-Chereponov. I don't think he will be available when the Rangers pick, unless he falls like Chereponov did last season or the Rangers trade up. I can see him going in the 10-20 range. He could drop a little bit because it has been said he has some character issues.
I don't know about this guy. Sure he's got moves but he's not really a shift-to-shift force. What happens if NHL'ers figure out his tricks? He's VERY undisciplined and chooses when to show up and assert himself physically.

The one plus I can say that speaks about his attitude is he'll act differently with a leadership role. Saw him in a tourney with the C and he looked like a totally different player than when he did not have a letter. Did the types of things you look for in an important prospect. Backchecked hard, hit hard, etc.

Take from that what you want, but I'm still torn.

I do like Eberle and Hodgson better though for sure if you want a smallish, offensive forward.

Like you said 10-20 is probably spot on for his range barring a huge drop.

Old
01-25-2008, 08:42 PM
mike14

Just bumping this thread with a quick question:

Hurricanes (conditional) Traded Brad Isbister to Rangers for Jakub Petruzalek, 2008 conditional fifth round pick (?-?) on 11/21/06

Does anyone know if the Rangers still have this pick or were the conditions met and its gone to the Canes?

Old
01-25-2008, 09:12 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

My 2 cents:

If things go poorly after the all star break: Bogosian
If things go better: Colborne

Old
01-25-2008, 09:28 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Just bumping this thread with a quick question:

Hurricanes (conditional) Traded Brad Isbister to Rangers for Jakub Petruzalek, 2008 conditional fifth round pick (?-?) on 11/21/06

Does anyone know if the Rangers still have this pick or were the conditions met and its gone to the Canes?
No idea about that, but I do know the Rangers have the Canes 3rd round pick this year from the Cullen trade, but the Kings get the Rangers 3rd round pick because they were unable to sign Jan Marek by the beginning of this season. The Rangers also have the Stars 5th round pick from the Mike Green trade.

Old
01-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Colten Teubert...in hopes that he can become a little more than just a Hollweg on defense. Rangers seriously lacking a nasty defender.

Old
02-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-redline_N.htm

Quote:
Look, the bottom line here is that some team is going to envision what he could become as he fills out into a 220-pounder with that impressive skillset, and grab him early, probably in the top 16-18 picks. But it wouldn't be us at RLR. We see significant bust potential with a kid whose family is financially well off, who didn't want to try competing in the nightly wars of the WHL, and who can't even muster any passion in front of an audience that includes the biggest decision makers in the NHL.
sounds like another 1st round big man of ours

Old
02-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Ace2008

puckrushing Dman---by far the rarest type of player in today's NHL

go ahead and name them..(even w/ Sanguinetti who should be a top4 D)

NYR should grab the best puckrushing Dman since they are the best way to break Defensive schemes today which over 24 of the 30 teams employ

and many of them aren't very big. Last puckrusher NYR picked before bobby Sanguinetti in 1st round....Brian Leetch....Time to get 1 more.

NYR are loaded on the wings and could use another top D.

imagine having 6 20 min a night skill /pwr Defenders and that would be much tougher for teams to crack then if NYR just stacked up w/ 2 or 3 good ones like Anaheim has now.

cap hit could easily be 2.5 each or about 15 mill for starting sextet on d.

Old
02-24-2008, 01:46 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-redline_N.htm

sounds like another 1st round big man of ours
Thanks for the link, it's certainly interesting. I just can't help but be skeptical - what does the financial well being of a family have to do with hockey talent? Colbourne wasn't willing to "[compete] in the nightly wars of the WHL" but yet is enrolled in a top WCHA school which is arguably as demanding of a league as the WHL. He may have "lacked passion" that night, but Redline admits that this observation occurred at only one event. I think their concerns are certainly something to look in to, but I wouldn't write the kid off just yet.

Closed Thread