HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

14th Overall Who do the Oil Pick?

View Poll Results: Who do you hope the Oilers take at 14?
Drew Stafford 2 2.15%
Mike Green 2 2.15%
Jakub Sindel 4 4.30%
Kyle Chipchura 9 9.68%
Alexandre Picard 27 29.03%
Ladislav Smid 2 2.15%
Alvaro Montoya 15 16.13%
Andrew Ladd 7 7.53%
Andrej Meszaros 1 1.08%
Evan McGrath 3 3.23%
Johannes Salmonsson 2 2.15%
Enver Lisin 8 8.60%
Adam Pineault 1 1.08%
AJ Thelen 10 10.75%
David Bolland 0 0%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2004, 10:51 PM
  #51
TheBrew
Registered User
 
TheBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
This draft is supposed to be particularly strong in goaltenders and not only that but many teams are fairly well stocked in that department so many will far much farther than the normally should, it would be a very questionable decision not to take one of these 6 (Schwartz, Montoya, Dubnyk, Ellis, Brown, or Schneider) with one of our top 3 picks. It's nice you have so much faith in JDD but I would never want to leave so much uncertainty/weakness in such a critically important area of as goaltending, by not having atleast a semi-adequate safety should worst come to worst.

P.S. I realize you said 1st round not 2nd round so you didn't open handidly exclude any of Ellis, Brown, or Schneider but I really don't think we should put drafting a quality goalie on the backburner this year.
Ya i see where your coming from but i'd for surely go for any goalies in the second round but i just dont see the point on using up a first rounder on a goaltender when we got a fairly good one already dont forget he was only drafted in 2002.

In my Opinion we need some Snipers in our system but if we do draft a goaltender with the second first rounder by no means would i be angry.But whatever Lowe does i'm sure it's for the best of the team

TheBrew is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 11:21 PM
  #52
zamboni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
1st Jani Rita/Chad Invisiblister for Mark Bell. there, would that be ok for the Hawks GM?



Firstly, after what Izzy has shown us when he's NOT injured, he's not invisible out there. Secondly, no I do not think Rita+1st+Izzy would get it done, because Chicago is extremely high on Bell and Izzy's salary vs preformance would not attract the rebuilding Blackhawks.

zamboni is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 10:07 AM
  #53
Blue Bullet
Registered User
 
Blue Bullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bon Accord, AB
Posts: 795
vCash: 500
Here is my top 20 at the moment:

1 OVECHKIN, ALEXANDER-complete package
2 MALKIN, YEVGENY-skilled playmaker with good size...I have heard comparisons to Federov
3 OLESZ, ROSTISLAV-in most years he would be the best power forward in the draft...skilled with a great work ethic
4 BARKER, CAMERON-big d-man that plays well on both sides of the pond
5 SCHREMP, ROBBIE-talented forward...future #1 center...his point total will likely soar with more ice time next year
6 TUKONEN, LAURI-strong power forward who can put the puck in the net...he's the player we were hoping Rita would turn into
7 THELEN, A.J.-has been moving up the charts...may turn out better than Barker
8 SCHWARZ, MAREK-very athletic and talented goalie
9 LADD, ANDREW-big, strong, fast and has a terrific work ethic...compared to a young Adam graves
10 STAFFORD, DREW-very similar to Ladd...family connection to the Oilers
11 WOLSKI, WOJTEK-big guy plays like he's 5'9...skill should have him in the top 5 but he plays soft and is invisible for long stretches
12 PICARD, ALEXANDRE-just a notch below Ladd and Stafford...not as physical but uses strength well
13 BOLLAND, DAVE-not the biggest guy but makes up for it with smarts and heart...good hands in close
14 RADULOV, ALEXANDER-big risk big reward pick...lots of talent but you never know which player is going to show up
15 MONTOYA, ALVARO-Marty Turco style goalie...very aggressive...has a couple technical flaws
16 LISIN, ENVER-extremely fast but inconsistent scorer...upside is a Dvorak type player
17 GREEN, MIKE-not as talented offensively as Barker or Thelen but plays with more of an edge
18 O'NEILL, WES-safe pick...big d-man seems to lack the point production people have been waiting for
19 CHIPCHURA, KYLE-lack of production is keeping him from moving up...safe pick
20 SMID, LADISLAV-big and talented offensive d-man...soft play at WJC has dropped him down the rankings

Blue Bullet is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 11:00 AM
  #54
Funkymoses
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
If Montoya was Canadian, he would be recieving as much hype as Fleury right now. He had a very good tournament much like Fleury did last year, the only difference being he won the big one.
I don't really think that's true... DiPietro went #1 overall being all American and stuff. Montoya, as much as I love him, has some issues with mental focus sometimes. He can go on tilt. And as much as it burns me to say this, I've seen better goalies at the college level... Ryan Miller basically.

Great, now I have to go take a shower.

As long as I'm debasing myself with MSU praise I might as well add that Thelen is absolutely for real. MSU made the NCAA tournament this year with average/erratic goaltending and a defense corps composed of Corey Potter, Thelen and a Bunch Of Losers. They made it on the backs of Slater and Thelen basically. He's a great, great player. I hope they change that stupid opt-in rule because it's fun to see those guys in the NCAA.

I'm in the "move up and grab a superstar" camp. I don't want to see the Oilers draft ANY of these losers. :lol

Funkymoses is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 11:21 AM
  #55
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymoses
I don't really think that's true... DiPietro went #1 overall being all American and stuff. Montoya, as much as I love him, has some issues with mental focus sometimes. He can go on tilt. And as much as it burns me to say this, I've seen better goalies at the college level... Ryan Miller basically.

Great, now I have to go take a shower.

As long as I'm debasing myself with MSU praise I might as well add that Thelen is absolutely for real. MSU made the NCAA tournament this year with average/erratic goaltending and a defense corps composed of Corey Potter, Thelen and a Bunch Of Losers. They made it on the backs of Slater and Thelen basically. He's a great, great player. I hope they change that stupid opt-in rule because it's fun to see those guys in the NCAA.

I'm in the "move up and grab a superstar" camp. I don't want to see the Oilers draft ANY of these losers. :lol
What I meant was that Fleury made his name at the WJC's, and he was picked 1st overall primarily based on that tournament. Yes he did put up good numbers in the Q, good enough for probably a 1st round selection, but not necessarily first overall.

And Fleury also has serious flaws to his game. He continually tries to handle the puck in high traffic areas even though his skills in that area are below average at best. He has no rebound control what so ever. He does make up for it with incredible agility, but that got figured out real quick at the NHL level.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 12:34 PM
  #56
HotToddy
Registered User
 
HotToddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,567
vCash: 500
I hope the Oilers get a way from their practice of drafting forwards this year. Drafting forwards who they can spin out to be future 40 goal scorers is fan appeasing but I think it makes better sense to draft for the back end in the first round. Your ability to find a scoring forward in the later rounds far exceeds the chance of drafting the stud D-man that cup contenders need.

Our scoring is fine in my opinion. Goaltending was the single biggest problem this year and while a Jussi/Conklin combo for a whole year will probably make us a playoff team it won't be with this duo that the Oil make a serious playoff run. We have JDD but if we get a chance at Montoya I say double the ante and improve our chances of having a star goalie in the system.

Our second biggest weakness is on D-fence. We let a lot of goals in this year. We have very little speed and puck skill in the backend to compliment our forwards speed. Our PP lacks a great passer and a cannon. Of Smith/Staios/Ferguson/Cross and Ulanov it only seems to me that 1 or 2 of these guys fit into the teams long term future. Lynch/Greene/Woywitka look like good d-men but I don't see the puck moving, rushing defenceman we will deperately need.

Forget BPA take a goalie or backender.

HotToddy is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 01:13 PM
  #57
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy
I hope the Oilers get a way from their practice of drafting forwards this year. Drafting forwards who they can spin out to be future 40 goal scorers is fan appeasing but I think it makes better sense to draft for the back end in the first round. Your ability to find a scoring forward in the later rounds far exceeds the chance of drafting the stud D-man that cup contenders need.

Our scoring is fine in my opinion. Goaltending was the single biggest problem this year and while a Jussi/Conklin combo for a whole year will probably make us a playoff team it won't be with this duo that the Oil make a serious playoff run. We have JDD but if we get a chance at Montoya I say double the ante and improve our chances of having a star goalie in the system.

Our second biggest weakness is on D-fence. We let a lot of goals in this year. We have very little speed and puck skill in the backend to compliment our forwards speed. Our PP lacks a great passer and a cannon. Of Smith/Staios/Ferguson/Cross and Ulanov it only seems to me that 1 or 2 of these guys fit into the teams long term future. Lynch/Greene/Woywitka look like good d-men but I don't see the puck moving, rushing defenceman we will deperately need.

Forget BPA take a goalie or backender.
drafting for need in goal is, IMO, a pretty goofy thing to do. "Need" is just too hard to figure out in goal, since whoever you draft is unlikely to be playing for you for 4-6 years after the draft. Who can even predict what your goaltending needs are in 5 years?

When it comes to goalies in the draft, my basic philosophy would be to never draft one unless they are simply so good there's no way you could pass them up.

Even though some (myself included) feel the future of the D looks pretty good for the Oilers, I wouldn't be scared to draft a D or two this year in the first round, from what I've red there look to be some good ones available, and probably at about where EDM will pick barring trades.

I'm indifferent to the idea of Montoya at 14, I don't think he'd last until 25 ish for the PHI pick, but I don't mind the idea of Ellis in the 2nd either.

I would think there should be a pretty good goalie available when EDM picks in the 2nd, not saying you draft for need there but there's a chance a goalie is your BPA with the 2nd round pick anyways.

speeds is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 01:14 PM
  #58
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
What I meant was that Fleury made his name at the WJC's, and he was picked 1st overall primarily based on that tournament. Yes he did put up good numbers in the Q, good enough for probably a 1st round selection, but not necessarily first overall.
I'm not sure about that. Fleury was pretty much always considered top 5 for the draft - well before the World Juniors, anyway. There was no concensus first overall pick last draft. Some thought Staal, or Horton, or Fleury, or Zherdev, or whoever. The only reason Fleury went first was because Pittsburgh wanted him badly.

Seachd is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 01:25 PM
  #59
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I'm not sure about that. Fleury was pretty much always considered top 5 for the draft - well before the World Juniors, anyway. There was no concensus first overall pick last draft. Some thought Staal, or Horton, or Fleury, or Zherdev, or whoever. The only reason Fleury went first was because Pittsburgh wanted him badly.
Maybe so (Fleury would be a top 5 pick)...

But in reading some of the things MacKenzie wrote, I got the impression that his play in the WJC skyrocketed him up the charts.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 01:50 PM
  #60
Blue Bullet
Registered User
 
Blue Bullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bon Accord, AB
Posts: 795
vCash: 500
I believe the Oilers will take a forward with their first pick and a d-man with Philly's. The top 20 of the draft are heavy with forwards while their should be a few good d-men available around the 25th pick. My prediction is the Oilers take Picard. The Oil seem to ba taking forwards from the Q and it would round out the Q line with Picard-Pouliot-Hemsky. With the 2nd pick my prediction is Oscar Hedman, a underrated d-man out of Sweden(kind of like the Denis Grebeshkhov of the draft). The Oilers seem to like picking from Sweden recently. For picking a goalie, I'd love for the Oil to pick up Shantz in the 2nd round.

Blue Bullet is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 02:03 PM
  #61
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
And Fleury also has serious flaws to his game. He continually tries to handle the puck in high traffic areas even though his skills in that area are below average at best. He has no rebound control what so ever. He does make up for it with incredible agility, but that got figured out real quick at the NHL level.
That was my feeling as well...tremendous athleticism, but mediocre to downright below average fundamentals that got exposed as NHLers picked up on it.

He's just a kid though, he can't help but improve his puckhandling and positioning with experience. How much it improves remains to be seen.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 02:30 PM
  #62
Asiaoil
Registered User
 
Asiaoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Thailand
Posts: 5,259
vCash: 500
Im still not opposed to trading our pick because the skill level does not thrill me in this draft but if any of the following players are still available at #14 I may reconsider:

Goalies: Swartz / Montoya
Forwards: Tukonen (I think he may fall) or Pichard
Dmen: Thelen

No one else likely available at #14 thrills me. Im even getting more comfortable with the idea of using the #14 pick for a goalie. That seems to be the position where there is the most depth this year. You take the opportunity to get an elite level player when ever it appears and if an elite goalie like Swartz or Montoya is available this year then we should not be afraid to use the #14 pick on him.

Asiaoil is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.