HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

All Star Game opinions

Old
01-01-2008, 08:05 PM
gocbj

vCash: 500
All Star Game opinions

...anyone going to the all star game? I'll already be in Atlanta on business, and can get nice tix cheap.

If you have been to a previous game, please let me know. It would be my first all star game (of any sport).

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2008, 08:48 PM
wonderjacket

Yeah one thing...Make sure that you take in the whole 2 day atmosphere. Young stars and skills competition is really neat and the players are so much more relaxed and friendly. So many people only do the all-star game itself and miss out. Have fun.

wonderjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:36 AM
CapnCornelius

Speaking of the All Star Game, when I was watching the Winter Classic yesterday, I couldn't help but think, "why not an outdoor All Star Game?"

The All Star Game is generally a high-scoring exhibition game with no hitting. The skills competitions are more meaningful that the game itself.

One of the complaints of purists about the Winter Classic is that since the elements have a huge effect on the outcome, the game shouldn't count in the standings. And, one thing about playing outdoors is, the score tends to be lower because of the ice/weather condition issues as we saw yesterday. So, having a "Winter Classic/All Star Game" would reduce the scoring of the All Star Game making each goal important, and wouldn't have an impact on the standings of the teams partaking in the outdoor game.

I remember a few years back a production piece as part of the All Star Game where they had some of the great players of all time played by children on a pond. Can you imagine 70-100,000 hockey fans watching the best players in the league playing a "pond hockey" game, a format so exciting that even the most jaded player would actually look forward to it instead of thinking of some fake "injury" to get out of it?

In an era where the All Star games of the other major sports have become a joke--even if it "counts" in baseball, no one will ever forget the Game That Didn't End, even a trip to Hawaii isn't enough to get most NFL players to the Pro Bowl and the NBA managed to prove that sometimes what happens in Vegas does not stay in Vegas--the NHL could do something special and really showcase the league in the process.

My two, slightly off topic cents.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:48 AM
BluejacketNut

I was thinking the same thing. Its a cool idea, but I dont like the fact that this was a regular season game and the points were real. If its going to be a game that matters, the conditions need to be normal for the game. So its best left as an exhibition game IMO since you dont know what the conditions would be like. But I thought it would be a great idea for an All Star game, that way the conditions dont effect the regular season.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Speaking of the All Star Game, when I was watching the Winter Classic yesterday, I couldn't help but think, "why not an outdoor All Star Game?"

The All Star Game is generally a high-scoring exhibition game with no hitting. The skills competitions are more meaningful that the game itself.

One of the complaints of purists about the Winter Classic is that since the elements have a huge effect on the outcome, the game shouldn't count in the standings. And, one thing about playing outdoors is, the score tends to be lower because of the ice/weather condition issues as we saw yesterday. So, having a "Winter Classic/All Star Game" would reduce the scoring of the All Star Game making each goal important, and wouldn't have an impact on the standings of the teams partaking in the outdoor game.

I remember a few years back a production piece as part of the All Star Game where they had some of the great players of all time played by children on a pond. Can you imagine 70-100,000 hockey fans watching the best players in the league playing a "pond hockey" game, a format so exciting that even the most jaded player would actually look forward to it instead of thinking of some fake "injury" to get out of it?

In an era where the All Star games of the other major sports have become a joke--even if it "counts" in baseball, no one will ever forget the Game That Didn't End, even a trip to Hawaii isn't enough to get most NFL players to the Pro Bowl and the NBA managed to prove that sometimes what happens in Vegas does not stay in Vegas--the NHL could do something special and really showcase the league in the process.

My two, slightly off topic cents.
I think you have something there. I like the idea a lot. The players yesterday seemed to love playing outside, and I think it was a big success for the NHL. Even people I know that don't necessarily follow hockey checked out the game yesterday and liked it. For the first time in a long time I heard nationally syndicated sports radio shows talking hockey, and not negatively. 71,000+ attendance in the United States for a hockey game shows that the fans want to see outdoor games.

I would think the NHL would like the idea as it should be a great way to not only make money, but gain more exposure for the sport, which I think the Winter Classic did yesterday.

And I agree, the outdoor games are best left as an exhibition game. So, the All-Star game makes perfect sense.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Duuuuuuuuuuvie

Send a message via AIM to Duuuuuuuuuuvie
Sorry for continuing to hijack the thread into an outdoor game- but I actually don't like the idea of having it played outdoor every year. You would prevent a lot of cities from being able to host an allstar game. Perhaps when it is in the right climate, yes, but then can you imagine the let down when the all star game goes to Tampa or Phoenix?

Outdoor games will create a huge debate the first time a star player twists his ankle because there is an inch and a half of snow built up randomly on the ice.

With that said, it's a great avenue to grow the game. It was a lot of fun to watch and I hope they do a game a year. Teams would rather land the outdoor game than the allstar game (so we can host the all star game)

Can you imagine if the Summit Series was held in front of 80,000 outdoors?

Duuuuuuuuuuvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Macster

I wonder if Russell will be in the Youngstars game?

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 01:07 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuuuuvie View Post
Sorry for continuing to hijack the thread into an outdoor game- but I actually don't like the idea of having it played outdoor every year. You would prevent a lot of cities from being able to host an allstar game. Perhaps when it is in the right climate, yes, but then can you imagine the let down when the all star game goes to Tampa or Phoenix?

Outdoor games will create a huge debate the first time a star player twists his ankle because there is an inch and a half of snow built up randomly on the ice.

With that said, it's a great avenue to grow the game. It was a lot of fun to watch and I hope they do a game a year. Teams would rather land the outdoor game than the allstar game (so we can host the all star game)

Not every city can hold the Super Bowl--don't think we'll be seeing Ice Bowl II at Lambeau any time soon. Don't see why the flip side can't be true for the NHL. The warm weather climates get plenty of perks, no reason the cold weather climates can't have their's.

My dream All Star game would be outdoors, in Quebec City, during winter carnival.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
I wonder if Russell will be in the Youngstars game?
I definitely think he has a legitimate chance.

Who is it that picks the YoungStars Game players?

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
I definitely think he has a legitimate chance.

Who is it that picks the YoungStars Game players?
That's a good question....there's probably a part of the ASG commitee who chooses them.

Old
01-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
That's a good question....there's probably a part of the ASG commitee who chooses them.
I know that the All-Star rosters are picked by the NHL's Hockey Operations department (in consultation with the GMs). The coaches have not had a direct say in the rosters since the 1991 All-Star Game.

Not sure if the YoungStars games is done the same way.

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
I know that the All-Star rosters are picked by the NHL's Hockey Operations department (in consultation with the GMs). The coaches have not had a direct say in the rosters since the 1991 All-Star Game.

Not sure if the YoungStars games is done the same way.
I'd say that's likely it.

Russ will have a bunch of competition, just off the top I think of guys like the Johnsons, Enstrom, Tom Gilbert, Edler in Vancouver, Marc Staal, Kris Letang....could be tough for him to crack it.

I can't remember how many blueliners are taken....4 or 6?

Old
01-02-2008, 02:39 PM
JacketsIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuuuuvie View Post

Paybacks for all of the college football bowls being held in the South and never in the North because of the weather. I say who cares if the South doesn't get to host the All-Star games?

JacketsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote