HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Shanahan Situation

Old
01-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfan2 View Post
There was a mention in today's NY Post that Shanny just bought an apartment on Park Ave for $13.4 million.

I would guess he is going to be here for a little while otherwise why would you drop that money in today's market.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01012008...ger_768809.htm

Even if Shanny goes elsewhere after this season, he could probably sell and make a profit. Smart thing would be to hold to it for a few more years. Manhattan apartments just don't lose value, especially, $13 million dollar pads.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 05:02 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I probably wouldn't want him back. At $3MM per, I'd definitely consider it, depending on how he finishes the season. Of course, he probably wouldn't consider that.
I don't know, Fletch. He just might. Shanny's ice time needs to be reduced. Mayhaps the answer for next year would be the $3m salary, play on the 3rd line at ES and recieve plenty of PP time. However, if he goes out and has another 25+ season, why would he think that he should not play on the 2nd line?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 05:04 PM
VisionQuest*

Shanny buying a 13.5 million dollar home at age 57 on a hockey players salary should scream HEY YOUNG ATHLETES, HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU INVEST YOUR MONEY WISELY.

Lord knows the 2-3 million hes been taking home after taxes and agent fees in his most lucrative of years couldnt pay for his lifestyle to this point AND this new pad unless he'd done some very smart things with his dough.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest View Post
Shanny buying a 13.5 million dollar home at age 57 on a hockey players salary should scream HEY YOUNG ATHLETES, HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU INVEST YOUR MONEY WISELY.

Lord knows the 2-3 million hes been taking home after taxes and agent fees in his most lucrative of years couldnt pay for his lifestyle to this point AND this new pad unless he'd done some very smart things with his dough.
Or how you can act like you love your team, city, and situation and then go on to screw them for a base salary that was good alone and then an easy 2 million or so in softball bonuses pushing us against the wall cap wise. Yea, way to go Shanny.

Not to mention the guy didn't start to play hard until he reached his 10 games to kick in the bonus money.

He's really been annoying the hell out of me lately. And the people that are on his **** 24/7.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest View Post

It was funny during the lockout, Swedish media reported how much money the stars had to pay in lux-tax, and what the IRS had valued their collected assets too, Markus Näslund had a insane amount, more then twice as much as Forsberg. Like 200M USD vs 80-90.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 05:21 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Or how you can act like you love your team, city, and situation and then go on to screw them for a base salary that was good alone and then an easy 2 million or so in softball bonuses pushing us against the wall cap wise. Yea, way to go Shanny.

Not to mention the guy didn't start to play hard until he reached his 10 games to kick in the bonus money.

He's really been annoying the hell out of me lately. And the people that are on his **** 24/7.
Didn't see this coming.

I don't think there's a Ranger fan on these boards that dislikes Shanny, he's nothing but respectable, he's playing just about on par with last years totals (although he missed 15 games last year), his contract came out to be..well, his contract, he's not screwing anyone, there's a lot of other players that their contracts are ridiculous for us, but that's Sather's choice, he could of let Shanny go, but he didn't, and for that, we are all, at least most of us, are happy that he's here.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 05:21 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

jeez....you are an angry elf

ok but seriously, he turned down offers from many other teams and told the rangers to do what they needed to do and then take care of him at the end so that they would have enough room for him......sather gave him the money and he of course said what most would say "ok" lol.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
In a capped league you are always going to be trading out at least 4-6 players a season.
You might be right in avg on that lower number, but íf you can, you should keep it as low as possible. Ottawa got like their entire roster intact from last season, and with Alfie taking a paycut, they might not be forced to move anyone this summer either...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

There's nothing wrong with an athlete getting his money, but when that athlete is looked upon as near God status and Shanny the Investor handing out great tips..for no reason, we've gotten soft.

NY fans can get too emotionally wrapped up in their players...leading to impaired judgment. IE. Shanny will help us out next year and take a pay cut.

Old
01-02-2008, 05:39 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Shanny will help us out next year and take a pay cut.
News flash, if shanny wants to play hockey ANYWHERE, he will have to take a pay cut.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 06:29 PM
shoothepuck

He's worth alot, just for the intangibles that he brings to the ice. He's the one who's always talking to the refs, and with a quiet coach like Renney, he brings more to the locker room than most think. Does all this, and his high pay justify bringing him back? Look at his numbers, and ask who replaces him if he dosen't come back?

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Pizza

Good Question shoot.

If he keeps it up, I say bring him back. The kids get so much benefit from him being there.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 06:41 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
there are a lot of players they can learn from besides shanny....and if that is why he is comin back pay him his 4 million and have him practice with the team as a coach so he doesnt affect the cap....

drury and gomez know a little bit about the nhl as well

pay him 4 million to practice with the team or have Gomez replace his leadership...I'll pass on each.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:11 PM
xevious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfan2 View Post
There was a mention in today's NY Post that Shanny just bought an apartment on Park Ave for $13.4 million.

I would guess he is going to be here for a little while otherwise why would you drop that money in today's market.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01012008...ger_768809.htm
He's probably planning ahead for a job with the league when his playing days are through.

xevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:

the salary he took is at most market value. if you have given up $3M recently, then you are 100% justified in your criticism.

otherwise, I think a shutting up is in order.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
the salary he took is at most market value. if you have given up $3M recently, then you are 100% justified in your criticism.

otherwise, I think a shutting up is in order.
I said I don't have a problem with him getting his money. This is his job, why not try and get the most you can.

And I agree, his salary is justified for a guy who put up near a point per game.

I guess his start to the season is what's bothering me. I can't get that out of my head.

Old
01-05-2008, 11:57 AM
BrianNYR

As long as he is scoring more points as most of the team i think the rangers will sign him another year. He should take a pay cut but im sure he is well aware of that. He is AMAZING on the PK as well. Although he is old, i dont believe you can find an adequate replacement for the price we will probably offer next year(if their is an offer).

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote