HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Refs be available to the media after a game?

View Poll Results: Should Refs be available to the media after a game?
Yes - they should have to answer the tough questions just like the players 12 48.00%
No - it undermines their authority 12 48.00%
undecided/don't care 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

vCash: 500
Should Refs be available to the media after a game?

During the Roadrunners/Americans game, the announcer suggested something interesting: the Refs should be made available to questions from the media after a game.

What do you think?

Old
04-08-2004, 09:49 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I don't know what point it will serve.

I mean, it's not like refs and coaches and gms and the league aren't in constant contact with each other.

Other than headhunting by the media whose team lost, I'm not sure that there is a lot to benefit by this.

Old
04-08-2004, 09:50 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
no it makes no sense to put the refs in the line of fire even if they deserve to be there. it does "undermine their authority" to borrow the quote and they should be made accountable to only the league officials and not the media and fans

Old
04-08-2004, 11:22 AM
MrMackey

I don't actually agree with the refs themselves being available to the media, but I voted that they should because I think that someone should be communicating to the media on behalf of the referees.

I wouldn't want to see refs come under fire after every game... but it would be nice to have someone explain the ref's reasoning for certain calls after the fact.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I don't actually agree with the refs themselves being available to the media, but I voted that they should because I think that someone should be communicating to the media on behalf of the referees.

I wouldn't want to see refs come under fire after every game... but it would be nice to have someone explain the ref's reasoning for certain calls after the fact.

I like that idea MrMackey. Have Andy Vanhellimend (spelling ) or more likely, somone he hires, to talk about questionable calls. You never know, but if the refs had said they should have called something on Moore's hit on Naslund but they missed it ( Not that I feel this way ) maybe that would have disipated some of the frustration/anger the Canucks were feeling. Maybe this might have helped the situation later on down the road

Something for the league to consider though. Everybody makes mistakes, and sometimes it might be helpfull if refs actually admitted that they were only human.

T

Old
04-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Walsher

We already hear enough cliches from the players. Putting refs under the microscope to defend decisions that are made in a split second is really quite bizarre. They aren't going to appologize, they aren't going to admit to being wrong, they are going to just reinforce what they saw. Not really overly important IMO. Officials are poorly treated, and the job they do is admirable.

Old
04-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
We already hear enough cliches from the players. Putting refs under the microscope to defend decisions that are made in a split second is really quite bizarre. They aren't going to appologize, they aren't going to admit to being wrong, they are going to just reinforce what they saw. Not really overly important IMO. Officials are poorly treated, and the job they do is admirable.
Actually Yah you're right Walsher. I doubt if there would any honesty in the media scrum afterwards (e.g. Yes you're right, my prescription is over a year old and I DO, in fact need new glasses. I have an appointment next week in fact). There would just be more cliches and dancing away from questions.

Old
04-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
I like that idea MrMackey. Have Andy Vanhellimend (spelling ) or more likely, somone he hires, to talk about questionable calls. You never know, but if the refs had said they should have called something on Moore's hit on Naslund but they missed it ( Not that I feel this way ) maybe that would have disipated some of the frustration/anger the Canucks were feeling. Maybe this might have helped the situation later on down the road

Something for the league to consider though. Everybody makes mistakes, and sometimes it might be helpfull if refs actually admitted that they were only human.

T
Unfortunately, Moore's hit on Naslund was clean so calling a penalty for something that is within the rules of the game is absolutely assinine.

Old
04-08-2004, 03:52 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
What questions asside from "why did you make this call?" and "why didn't you make this call?" would be asked of these officials? After the 3rd time, nobody's even going to care anymore. I don't think they should be available to the media after he game.

Closed Thread