HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Refs be available to the media after a game?

View Poll Results: Should Refs be available to the media after a game?
Yes - they should have to answer the tough questions just like the players 12 48.00%
No - it undermines their authority 12 48.00%
undecided/don't care 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2004, 08:46 AM
  #1
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Should Refs be available to the media after a game?

During the Roadrunners/Americans game, the announcer suggested something interesting: the Refs should be made available to questions from the media after a game.

What do you think?

Oil_in_my_veins is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 09:49 AM
  #2
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I don't know what point it will serve.

I mean, it's not like refs and coaches and gms and the league aren't in constant contact with each other.

Other than headhunting by the media whose team lost, I'm not sure that there is a lot to benefit by this.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 09:50 AM
  #3
rabi_sultan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
no it makes no sense to put the refs in the line of fire even if they deserve to be there. it does "undermine their authority" to borrow the quote and they should be made accountable to only the league officials and not the media and fans

rabi_sultan is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 11:22 AM
  #4
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
I don't actually agree with the refs themselves being available to the media, but I voted that they should because I think that someone should be communicating to the media on behalf of the referees.

I wouldn't want to see refs come under fire after every game... but it would be nice to have someone explain the ref's reasoning for certain calls after the fact.

MrMackey is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 12:39 PM
  #5
Big T
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: LLoydminster, AB
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I don't actually agree with the refs themselves being available to the media, but I voted that they should because I think that someone should be communicating to the media on behalf of the referees.

I wouldn't want to see refs come under fire after every game... but it would be nice to have someone explain the ref's reasoning for certain calls after the fact.

I like that idea MrMackey. Have Andy Vanhellimend (spelling ) or more likely, somone he hires, to talk about questionable calls. You never know, but if the refs had said they should have called something on Moore's hit on Naslund but they missed it ( Not that I feel this way ) maybe that would have disipated some of the frustration/anger the Canucks were feeling. Maybe this might have helped the situation later on down the road

Something for the league to consider though. Everybody makes mistakes, and sometimes it might be helpfull if refs actually admitted that they were only human.



T

Big T is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 01:23 PM
  #6
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
We already hear enough cliches from the players. Putting refs under the microscope to defend decisions that are made in a split second is really quite bizarre. They aren't going to appologize, they aren't going to admit to being wrong, they are going to just reinforce what they saw. Not really overly important IMO. Officials are poorly treated, and the job they do is admirable.

Walsher is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 02:11 PM
  #7
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
We already hear enough cliches from the players. Putting refs under the microscope to defend decisions that are made in a split second is really quite bizarre. They aren't going to appologize, they aren't going to admit to being wrong, they are going to just reinforce what they saw. Not really overly important IMO. Officials are poorly treated, and the job they do is admirable.
Actually Yah you're right Walsher. I doubt if there would any honesty in the media scrum afterwards (e.g. Yes you're right, my prescription is over a year old and I DO, in fact need new glasses. I have an appointment next week in fact). There would just be more cliches and dancing away from questions.

Master Lok is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 02:33 PM
  #8
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
I like that idea MrMackey. Have Andy Vanhellimend (spelling ) or more likely, somone he hires, to talk about questionable calls. You never know, but if the refs had said they should have called something on Moore's hit on Naslund but they missed it ( Not that I feel this way ) maybe that would have disipated some of the frustration/anger the Canucks were feeling. Maybe this might have helped the situation later on down the road

Something for the league to consider though. Everybody makes mistakes, and sometimes it might be helpfull if refs actually admitted that they were only human.



T
Unfortunately, Moore's hit on Naslund was clean so calling a penalty for something that is within the rules of the game is absolutely assinine.

Walsher is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 03:52 PM
  #9
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,593
vCash: 50
What questions asside from "why did you make this call?" and "why didn't you make this call?" would be asked of these officials? After the 3rd time, nobody's even going to care anymore. I don't think they should be available to the media after he game.

misfit is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.