HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Conklin Question

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2004, 05:43 PM
AlaskanOiler

vCash: 500
Conklin Question

Got a quick question for you better informed or knowledgeable Oiler fans than I.

I live in Alaska, Anchorage to be exact, Ty Conklin's hometown, and I'm thinking of getting a Conklin Oilers jersey.

But before I shell out the $200 plus for an authentic goalie jersey, I wanted to make sure that he is in the Oilers' plans for the future.

While yes I realize anyone, Gretzky included, can be traded, so there are no sure things, but do you guys think Ty will be an Oiler for at least a couple more seasons?

Thanks

Old
04-07-2004, 05:53 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanOiler
Got a quick question for you better informed or knowledgeable Oiler fans than I.

I live in Alaska, Anchorage to be exact, Ty Conklin's hometown, and I'm thinking of getting a Conklin Oilers jersey.

But before I shell out the $200 plus for an authentic goalie jersey, I wanted to make sure that he is in the Oilers' plans for the future.

While yes I realize anyone, Gretzky included, can be traded, so there are no sure things, but do you guys think Ty will be an Oiler for at least a couple more seasons?

Thanks
1) Welcome to the board!
2) He does seem to be part of the future plans of the Oilers. I can't find the article, but I remember reading today that Lowe is very happy with his tandem. Lowe also always says to expect the unexpected, so .

Hope that wasn't too wishy-washy ... my advice would be to wait until the summer is over, then buy one. We will have a better idea of the team's direction by August/September.

Old
04-07-2004, 06:01 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I'd go ahead and get the jersey. I doubt Conklin is going anywhere. If he gets traded, you can send me the jersey.

Old
04-07-2004, 07:05 PM
outKast*

If he can't cut it (and i doubt he will) at the next training camp, i can see Kevin Lowe waiting till the Oilers season get really bad before he finally trades Conklin to another team for a goalie with good upside. (cough cough Noronen! cough cough Denis!) I see a Shtalenkov/Essensa type season next season. These guys are prototypical backups, not starters. They Oilers will luck out again and find a diamond in the rough just like Salo was for Edmonton during his prime years.

Old
04-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
If he can't cut it (and i doubt he will) at the next training camp, i can see Kevin Lowe waiting till the Oilers season get really bad before he finally trades Conklin to another team for a goalie with good upside. (cough cough Noronen! cough cough Denis!) I see a Shtalenkov/Essensa type season next season. These guys are prototypical backups, not starters. They Oilers will luck out again and find a diamond in the rough just like Salo was for Edmonton during his prime years.
How is Noronen any better than Conklin/Markkanen? How is he any more proven?

Old
04-07-2004, 07:25 PM
outKast*

Noronen is

1. Younger
2. Higher Potential
3. Ready to be #1
4. Will never beat Miller as future #1 in Buffalo
5. Like Kipper, the guy just needs tto show how he does in a situation where he plays every night.

Old
04-07-2004, 07:40 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Noronen is

1. Younger
2. Higher Potential
3. Ready to be #1
5. Like Kipper, the guy just needs tto show how he does in a situation where he plays every night.
The first 2 really do mean nothing.

3. Not sure about that. How exactly can you know if a guy is ready to be a #1?

4. No, but in the meantime he is better than Miller as a backup.

5. Kipper had that last year and fell on his face.

Old
04-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Noronen is

1. Younger
2. Higher Potential
3. Ready to be #1
I just don't understand how everyone can say guys like Noronen and Garon are sure fire #1 goaltenders while Conklin and Markkanen are backups at best. Noronen could break out like Kiprusoff but he could just as easily struggle with the increased minutes like a lot of goaltenders in NHL history.

Old
04-07-2004, 08:12 PM
outKast*

Noronen is way more worth it compared to Conklin. The risk is there but the reward is extremely high. We should get him while we can. Same with Denis. LeClaire coming along and almost ready to assume position.

Old
04-07-2004, 08:23 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Noronen is way more worth it compared to Conklin. The risk is there but the reward is extremely high. We should get him while we can. Same with Denis. LeClaire coming along and almost ready to assume position.
Shouldn't Leclaire have more than 2 NHL games and 36 AHL games before we claim him ready to assume a #1 goaltending position.

Fact of that matter is, 26-27 is about the earliest any goalie is ready to start in the NHL. There is the odd goaltender that challenges that, but not many.

Old
04-07-2004, 08:26 PM
outKast*

Mark my words....when LeClaire is ready to assume his position, Denis will want out. I think LeClaire might be ready for spot duty next season and will assume #1 in the 05-06 season. I think the Oilers should trade for Denis at the next trade deadline.

Old
04-07-2004, 08:38 PM
dawgbone

Maybe... but the last time I saw Leclair play he gave up 7 goals on 37 shots, and the time before that, a bunch of weak goals in the World Junior Championships.

He hasn't changed all that much since then.

Leclaire is having enough difficulty at the AHL level right now... he certainly won't be starting in 2 seasons.

Old
04-07-2004, 09:08 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
5. Kipper had that last year and fell on his face.
Let me just say this. While I agree Kipper did not have a great year that year... there were extenuating circumstances.

He was thrust into the role as a result of Nabokov holding out that season. That feeling of not knowing where you stand in the organization can't help a player cope mentally. Brad Stuart was also for a significant period of time in a contract squabble which significantly hurt the defense that year. Not exactly excuses mind you.. but that situation was not necessarily the best one he could have hoped for.

So I wouldn't go so far as to insinuate that everyone in the NHL had soured on his ability because of that. He was still a very good goaltender regardless.

Old
04-07-2004, 09:18 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

if all else fails you can always get a Brian Swanson jersey

Old
04-07-2004, 09:27 PM
windowlicker

I think Conks does have a future with this team, but at this point I would put Jussi ahead in the pecking order. As for other *possible choices* that *may* be available:

-Im a huge fan of Denis, but he is not going anywhere. Ask any Columbus fan what they think of Leclaire taking over the starters job anytime soon. Plus Denis is solid, great young goalie, would cost too much.

-Noronen is a lateral move when compared to keeping the Jussi/Ty tandem.

-Biron is still unproven in a 70+ games/season role. PLus makes too much.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Noronen is

1. Younger
2. Higher Potential
3. Ready to be #1
Bullcrap. In YOUR opinion.

1. Yes he's younger. So what? If I'm trading any assets to pick up Noronen, I want him to do the job as #1, not because he's three years younger.

2. Says who? How can you determine potential? I've included stats at the bottom, over this year Noronen has the WORSE stats in GAA and save pct between Noronen, Conklin and Markkanen and that's including Jussi's stats for the Rangers!

3. Oh really? He can't even beat Biron, who is NOT a world beater for #1 in Buffalo. If he can't top Biron, he's not ready for #1.

4. If Noronen, can't outplay Biron now for #1 and you don't think he can beat Miller for #1 in the future, then WHY ON EARTH DO YOU EXPECT THE OILERS TO TRADE FOR HIM?

5. Bullcrap. Buffalo gave him every chance this season for Noronen to prove himself. He failed and Biron won the job.

Don't get me wrong, Mika Noronen is a fine backup and prospect. But then so is Conklin. If you Noronen couldn't beat Biron for the job and you don't expect him to beat Miller for #1, then why would you expect the Oilers to give up valuable assets to trade for him? He sounds no better than Conklin or Markkanen. If I'm going to give up assets for a possible #1 goalie, it had be for a guy with a lot more to show than Mika Noronen. If Cechmanek and Kiprusoff went for 2nd round draft picks this past year, I wouldn't pay more than a 3rd for Noronen.

Noronen's NHL stats:
2000-01 2 games: 2-0-0 - 2.78 GAA 0.872 save
2001-02 10 games: 4-3-1 2.66 GAA 0.894 save
2002-03 16 games: 4-9-3 2.42 GAA 0.912 save
2003-04 35 games: 11-17-2 2.57 GAA 0.906 save

Conklin's NHL stats:
2001-02 4 games: 2-0-0 1.62 GAA .939 save
2003-04 38 games: 14-14-4 2.42 GAA 0.912 save

Markannen's NHL stats:
2001-02 Edmonton Oilers NHL 14 games: 6-4-2 1.84 GAA 0.929 save
2002-03 Edmonton Oilers NHL 22 games: 7-8-3 2.59 GAA 0.904 save
2003-04 New-York Rangers* 26 games: 8-12-1 2.56 GAA 0.913 save
2003-04 Edmonton Oilers 7 games: 2-2-2 - 1.83 GAA 0.934

Old
04-08-2004, 01:08 PM
kyle

You guys are being ridiculous.. you should know by now that if you are disputing something with outKast then you can't use facts, logic, and hockey knowledge. Those always lose out to blind ideas, fabricated theories, and general idiocy with the figments of his imagination he states as facts.

Noronen is a great goalie with huge potential. But by the time he has acclimated to our system and has the potential to challenge for the #1 spot, he will be fighting with JDD.

Noronen proved this year that he is not ready for a starting job. He lost his chance to Biron (again) as did Miller. This says that both goalies are not ready for a full-time start. Miller is close enough that he could get the chance next year. But Noronen is not ready. So we dump Conklin/Markkanen to have an incredibly comperable Noronen/Markkanen. Just because Kiprusoff had a great year, doesn't mean we need to load up on Finnish goalies.

Old
04-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
You guys are being ridiculous.. you should know by now that if you are disputing something with outKast then you can't use facts, logic, and hockey knowledge. Those always lose out to blind ideas, fabricated theories, and general idiocy with the figments of his imagination he states as facts.
True true. You're right, I have to do better at ignoring him. "Serenity now!"

Old
04-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

reminds me of a funny jersey story from a few years back. my cousin had went out and bought a sundin jersey, and a few weeks later his dad bought him a wendel clarke jersey (his 2 favourite players) 3 days after he was presented with the clarke jersey, he was walking in the house from school, and his brother told him he had some bad news...

"hey bro, hate to break the news to you but Wendel Clarke was just trade"
"what the hell, i just got his jersey, thats not fair, where did he get traded to"
"uh, to the nordiques"
"for?"
"Sundin"
"WHATTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember it like it was the day before yesterday.

Old
04-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

Yea but don't you guys want a goalie who scored a goal this year? He could really help our offense!
Plus Noronen's name is only one letter different from my name

Old
04-08-2004, 03:53 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockzky
Yea but don't you guys want a goalie who scored a goal this year? He could really help our offense!
We should get Damian Rhodes to back him up; he scored the same goal a few years ago! Is he in the AHL or the ECHL?

Closed Thread