HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tapered vs. Standard

Old
01-02-2008, 10:34 PM
krutch11

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to krutch11
Tapered vs. Standard

You've all probably heard this question a million times but I can't seem to get a straight answer for it. Can you really feel the difference between a tapered and standard shaft? It would really just help my decission about which shaft I should buy. Thanks.

krutch11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutch11 View Post
You've all probably heard this question a million times but I can't seem to get a straight answer for it. Can you really feel the difference between a tapered and standard shaft? It would really just help my decission about which shaft I should buy. Thanks.
Ok, here's the deal. Tapered shaft lets you get off a quicker but weaker shot. Standard is a thicker neck so it takes more force to "load" the shot. The shot is much harder though. If you are a strong person, then standard would be fine, especially from the point or the slot when you can pick your corners. If you are a faster player who likes to deke, then tapered will let you finish better. In close, go tapered, long range, go standard. Hope this helps.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:05 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
Ok, here's the deal. Tapered shaft lets you get off a quicker but weaker shot. Standard is a thicker neck so it takes more force to "load" the shot. The shot is much harder though. If you are a strong person, then standard would be fine, especially from the point or the slot when you can pick your corners. If you are a faster player who likes to deke, then tapered will let you finish better. In close, go tapered, long range, go standard. Hope this helps.
Huh? Shots with the tapered shaft are just as hard but quicker than a standard shaft. Tapered shafts are the same thing as OPSs'. Both are going to have about the same feel depending on which type of blade and shaft combo you use. Use some composite blades and they feel kind of dead where as using a wood blade gives you more feeling. Having used both types the real difference is in getting a shot off quicker.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Huh? Shots with the tapered shaft are just as hard but quicker than a standard shaft.
You can't have a quicker shot that isn't harder. Speed = force when it comes to a hockey puck. A 80 mph shot is just as hard as any other 80 mph shot.

Familyguyman had it right - getting the shot away quicker is possible with the tapered because you can load the stick easier with less force (time) especially for smaller players who may not have the physical strength.

Krutch11 based on our other conversation your should go tapered.

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 11:33 AM
krutch11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
.Krutch11 based on our other conversation your should go tapered.
Thanks you've been great help I'm going into the city today to go shopping for a shaft and blade so hopefully they got good selection

Old
01-03-2008, 11:59 AM
stick9

A tapered shaft/blade combo will give you all the benefits an OPS will - lower kick point and quicker release.

No, you don't end up with a weaker shot with a tapered shaft/blade. I went from a standard shaft/blade to an OPS and my shot was harder, and more accurate. Seeing how a tapered set up is essentially an OPS...well you do the math.

My tapered set up blows away any standard shaft set up I ever used. That includes what is now Warriors AK27 and Eastons Zbubble shafts, (among others) with various wood, composite, and even Easton's focus flex blades. Which is supposed to duplicate the lower kick point of an OPS.

My advice, if you can get a tapered shaft and blade within your budget, do it.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 01:48 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
A tapered shaft/blade combo will give you all the benefits an OPS will - lower kick point and quicker release.
Nice avatar... You're correct, tapered shaft will lower the kick point and therefore will give fast release. The question remains on what type of shot. Flips, snaps and wristers would be the shots that let you rid of the puck faster. So forwards would have an obvious benefit. For defensemen standard shaft would do the same job on the slappers as tapered. Some players hate what low kicker does to their slap shot, so they stay with standard. Otherwise tapered shafts would be the only option in stores.
I've got both types, yet I am sure I just wasted some cash. Because the most important thing is the shaft stiffness and blade lie and loft. Even that comes distant second after practice shooting.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 02:16 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
You can't have a quicker shot that isn't harder. Speed = force when it comes to a hockey puck. A 80 mph shot is just as hard as any other 80 mph shot.

Familyguyman had it right - getting the shot away quicker is possible with the tapered because you can load the stick easier with less force (time) especially for smaller players who may not have the physical strength.

Krutch11 based on our other conversation your should go tapered.
I know, meant quicker release. What I should have said was that the shot release is quicker its definitely not a weaker shot compared to a standard shaft.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:41 PM
krutch11

So I went to the city today to search for my new 2 piece stick and all the stores I checked had the worst selection of shafts in the world. I don't think anyone had a intermediate. I was so dissapointed. I pretty much then decided I was going to buy a warrior one piece. So I narrowed it down to the Dolomite and the Shogun. I decided the I wanted the Dolomite but they only had a Kovolev curve...And i wanted a draper. So I bought the Shogun. I've never heard much about it so I was hoping it was a good choice and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is a good stick. I've heard good things about warrior sticks just not this one in particular.

Old
01-04-2008, 08:22 AM
stick9

The Shogun falls between the Royal and the Dolomite. It's a little heavier then a Dolomite, but still lighter then a Royal. Probably a good choice for you. You didn't spend a ton on your first OPS and you still got a pretty decent stick.

I've owned a few Starskies (repainted Dolomites) and was very pleased with durability and performance.

If you still want a Warrior tapered shaft. Hockeymonkey has some pro-stock stuff that's a pretty good deal. No warranty though.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...ck-shafts.html

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 12:02 PM
krutch11

Yeah I would have orded it off of HM but since I live in Canada I'd have to pay around $30 for shipping and another $30 for duties which is a pain in the butt because Canada has noting if you want to order online.