HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Isles down for playing Rangers outdoors

Old
01-03-2008, 09:37 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Isles down for playing Rangers outdoors

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...,1799678.story
Quote:
Some of them even knew that they were originally supposed to play in the big outdoor game, against the Rangers at Yankee Stadium. Talk about a home run. Although it is not considered likely, people familiar with the talks about a Midwinter Classic in the Bronx say it still is possible.

That would be up to the Yankees, who had decided against hosting a hockey game last year on logistical grounds, such as concern for the field. The concept still does not seem at the top of their agenda as the club heads into its final season at the Stadium.

"I think we've got a lot of things up in the air this year," Yankees spokesman Jason Zillo said. "I don't know where that event would stand."

But two people familiar with the proposal said it has not been ruled out. One of them said that the Islanders have had good, substantial talks with the Yankees. An Islanders official was backstage at the game in Buffalo Tuesday, taking notes, just in case.

Would be awesome to have an outdoor Rangers vs. Isles game. Imagine the crowd... One could dream.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:40 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
It would be pretty sick.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Do it at Shea next winter before they tear it down!

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Of course the Islanders would be interested. They long for playing in front of more than 10,000 fans a night!

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:45 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I think this would be even bigger than the game in Buffalo. The crowd would be nuts.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:52 AM
TheMetalChick*

Of course the Isles would love it... whats not to love?
It would be the greatest regular season hockey game ever!

TheMetalChick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Melrose_Jr.

As we were discussing in the Ice Bowl thread, what if that game was scheduled for next Monday when it's supposed to be 60 degrees and sunny? Or worse, what if rains? I really think weather in the northeast is just way too unpredictable to make this possible.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 10:17 AM
cr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
As we were discussing in the Ice Bowl thread, what if that game was scheduled for next Monday when it's supposed to be 60 degrees and sunny? Or worse, what if rains? I really think weather in the northeast is just way too unpredictable to make this possible.
which is why the NHL had like 3 backups

cr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 10:20 AM
BenIgnorant

I don't know if Isles-Rangers would work. Beyond Isles/Rangers fans, I'm not sure New Yorkers would be hugely interested. I guess there would be enough Tri-state hockey fans to make it work. But nationally I think it would hold much less appeal. Weather is the other impediment. Much less predictable than Buffalo.

BenIgnorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrprucha View Post
which is why the NHL had like 3 backups
I don't know anything about it. What was the back-up plan? Just play at HSBC?

What I'm saying is, there's a low chance you need a back-up in Buffalo, but a fairly decent chance you would need one in the Bronx. Is it worth the time and expense to set up the surface after you weigh that chance?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Forechecker

Personally, as much as I love the thought of Isles/Rags outdoor game, I think you would have to have one team from out of market like Chicago/Detroit or Rangers/Bruins or Stars/Detroit. If you choose a coastal location like NYC or Boston, it would have to be in February when the change of freak warm trends, and the accompanying rain, is at it's lowest.

My bet is on Detroit @ Chicago at Soldier Field as the next one, but what do they do if the Bears make the POs that year?

Old
01-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Id imagine next one either goes to Canada or western conference teams.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 11:00 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

How about the Mets and Yankees play each other INDOORS on the ice at MSG? I think that would be just as interesting.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 11:01 AM
cr7

Quote:

What I'm saying is, there's a low chance you need a back-up in Buffalo, but a fairly decent chance you would need one in the Bronx. Is it worth the time and expense to set up the surface after you weigh that chance?
ya to play at an arena idk which 1... ya but ur right it would be too hard (unpredictable) have to see if the knicks r playing, or wat do u do wit the 10,000 + ppl coming 2 NYC just for the game and it goes on and on

cr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 11:08 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

If I remember correctly, the backup plan was to hold the game the next day, same location. That doesn't really solve the problem of an unexpected warm front though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Personally, as much as I love the thought of Isles/Rags outdoor game, I think you would have to have one team from out of market like Chicago/Detroit or Rangers/Bruins or Stars/Detroit. If you choose a coastal location like NYC or Boston, it would have to be in February when the change of freak warm trends, and the accompanying rain, is at it's lowest.

My bet is on Detroit @ Chicago at Soldier Field as the next one, but what do they do if the Bears make the POs that year?
How about Chicago at Detroit, playing at The Big House? UM already played that outdoor game there once, didn't they? Maybe even pull a double dip... Let the college kids play in the afternoon, take a couple hours off to repair the ice, and then have the NHLers play the night cap. That would be pretty sweet.

Old
01-03-2008, 11:30 AM
eco's bones

Personally while it may have been fun (the real fun was from sitting at home)--the Sabres--Pens games IMO was more than a little overrated. NHL games should be played in optimal conditions. Having snow and sleet falling--seeing it pile up on the ice--, a substandard ice surface and just the idea that the game could ultimately be decided on a sudden change of wind direction doesn't do a lot for me. I'm sure that probably the majority of the 70 some thousand thought it was great at least until Crosby finished it for the visiting team--but sitting down in a cold and windy stadium through a wintry squall for 5-6 hours--the game lasted over 4--is a bit moronic and anyone who came down afterwards with a case of pneumonia only have themselves to blame.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I think a Ranger/Islander game at Yankee stadium would be a HUGE success. I know I would get tix in a heartbeat even with the potential weather problems that could occurr.

I also think ratings would be good, but what do I know, I'm a hockey fan...

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 11:37 AM
94now

The value of the outdoor game is less then that for Olympic games in my book.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
How about Chicago at Detroit, playing at The Big House? UM already played that outdoor game there once, didn't they? Maybe even pull a double dip... Let the college kids play in the afternoon, take a couple hours off to repair the ice, and then have the NHLers play the night cap. That would be pretty sweet.
They actually played at the old Mich. State stadium that was being torn down, but I like your idea.

Old
01-03-2008, 11:43 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
The value of the outdoor game is less then that for Olympic games in my book.
How are you measuring value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
They actually played at the old Mich. State stadium that was being torn down, but I like your idea.
Ah, thanks for the correction.

I really would love to see a college-pro doubleheader. Talk about putting hockey front and center! The college teams offer an excellent product, and it would just be awesome to have a day of hockey, with two games getting the spotlight on a major network. It would also be an awesome experience, getting smashed before the college game, sobering up a bit between games, and then doing it all over again for the capper.

Old
01-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Eagle20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
Of course the Islanders would be interested. They long for playing in front of more than 10,000 fans a night!
At least its 10,000 FANS not 15,000 SUITS

Eagle20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Chimp

In terms of weather conditions, an outdoor game between Toronto and Montreal would probably be better suited.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:00 PM
dank

if we were to take part in only 1 outdoor game i'd kinda rather we do it against a rival farther away.. i heard the idea of NYR vs BOS in Fenway/Yankees Stadium, that soudns awesome..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:05 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
How are you measuring value?
By its definition. Value is a benefit received in return for effort, monetary spending, exchange of some sort, etc. It is customary to measure value in units of initial contribution (dollars and cents, hours of work or rest, gallons, bushels, etc.), but not always so.
I see no or very little benefit in outdoor game due to the fact that its outcome is no different then any indoor game. I don't give a flying crap about game popularity, nor do I care about Fishsticks and necessity to beat them soundly. All I care is two points the Rangers getting (or not) on the gameday.

Last edited by 94now: 01-03-2008 at 12:11 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:23 PM
rickyrod

I'd really only be interested in it if it were going to be like the Heritage Classic and have an old-timers game beforehand.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote