HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Korpedo VS Huge Specimen

Old
01-03-2008, 03:17 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 500
Korpedo VS Huge Specimen

I haven't been able to see either of these guys play this year but I do try to read up and watch their stats:

Hugh Jessiman RW 35 9 10 19 +5 79 2 0 0.54 2.26
Lauri Korpikoski LW 34 6 11 17 +11 32 2 0 0.50 0.94

As stated by theahl.com http://stats.theahl.com/stats/statdi...&singleSeason=

Okay, is this good or bad?

Does this mean that the Huge Specimen is finaly turning into a hockey player or does this mean that Korpedo, with all the skills, in his second full season in the AHL, still can't put them together to beat out Jessiman in his offensive production? Jessiman who many considered to be a bust.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Too me it's not fair to equate the two on stats. Jessiman's ceiling was that of a first line forward.
Korpikoski projected to be a low-level 2nd liner, great 3rd liner.

But I have not been impressed with either of them from what little I have seen.

01-03-2008, 03:24 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Too me it's not fair to equate the two on stats. Jessiman's ceiling was that of a first line forward.

So you're leaning to the bad side I take it?

Old
01-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Fletch

Neither's stats...

are what you want for a first round pick. As SBoB mentioned, Korpedo's projection is not of a first liner. Not sure I agree with the assessment of a low-level second liner though as you don't pick low-level second liners in the top 20 of a decent draft (let alone trade up for one). I think Korpedo was projected as a 20+ goal scorer who is very good defensively, along the boards, as well as a grinder. I think many are talking about him being a third liner on a checking line. Either case, the guy should be putting up better points at the AHL level. Right now, he's looking more like a fourth liner. Hugh's pretty much the same, and sometimes I wonder if these guys couldn't be as productive as Hollweg. I'm not totally sure if that's the case since Hollweg can throw a bunch of hits, scrap a bit and keep up with the NHL pace.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:30 PM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
huge specimen aka huge p.o.s

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:38 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I wonder if these guys couldn't be as productive as Hollweg.
I often wonder the same and figure that one will take his spot next season. Even more so, I wonder if they'd be better than Orr on the 4th line. I don't really think it's necessary to play Orr in every game. The only legit reason that I think of though is playing time, but a game here or there couldn't hurt.

Old
01-03-2008, 03:42 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

I had thought that Korps was a low lvl 1st, high lvl 2nd line projection which has slowly declined into what you've stated. I had seen him compared to Zetteberg while he was still in Finland.

Old
01-03-2008, 03:46 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I had thought that Korps was a low lvl 1st, high lvl 2nd line projection which has slowly declined into what you've stated. I had seen him compared to Zetteberg while he was still in Finland.
I might be wrong. I don't, however, remember people raving about his offensive ability.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
are what you want for a first round pick. As SBoB mentioned, Korpedo's projection is not of a first liner. Not sure I agree with the assessment of a low-level second liner though as you don't pick low-level second liners in the top 20 of a decent draft (let alone trade up for one). I think Korpedo was projected as a 20+ goal scorer who is very good defensively, along the boards, as well as a grinder. I think many are talking about him being a third liner on a checking line. Either case, the guy should be putting up better points at the AHL level. Right now, he's looking more like a fourth liner. Hugh's pretty much the same, and sometimes I wonder if these guys couldn't be as productive as Hollweg. I'm not totally sure if that's the case since Hollweg can throw a bunch of hits, scrap a bit and keep up with the NHL pace.
Both have been big disappointments...It was pretty obvious from early on that Jessiman was not goingto be the PF that we hoped we drafted with the 1st rounder.That being said, there is still some hope that he can keep improving atthe AHL level and become a big, physical, 3rd-4th liner that has some skill....

As for Korpikoski, I hated his drafting (and trading up for it) as much as I liked the drafting of Jessiman at the time..I never saw anything more then a low scoring checking winger in Korpikoski...His AHL career has been inconsistent, especially on the offensive side...There are some games I have watched where he has clearly been the worst forward on the ice, not effecting or impacting anyhting..ON other nights, you can see a future 3rd line checking winger with just a little offensive ability...Don't think we can hope for anything more then an interchangeable 3rd/4th liner/reserve in this guythat...

As for comparing them vs Hollweg..I guess in some instance they could be better (esepcially on offense)..But not for the current version of the Rangers..Neither have the speed, hitting, and forechecking ability (and his defensive postioning has gotten much better also) that Renney uses Hollweg for ...

Now, having them replace Orr or thinking about Next year is a different story.

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:49 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Both have been big disappointments...It was pretty obvious from early on that Jessiman was not goingto be the PF that we hoped we drafted with the 1st rounder.That being said, there is still some hope that he can keep improving atthe AHL level and become a big, physical, 3rd-4th liner that has some skill....

As for Korpikoski, I hated his drafting (and trading up for it) as much as I liked the drafting of Jessiman at the time..I never saw anything more then a low scoring checking winger in Korpikoski...His AHL career has been inconsistent, especially on the offensive side...There are some games I have watched where he has clearly been the worst forward on the ice, not effecting or impacting anyhting..ON other nights, you can see a future 3rd line checking winger with just a little offensive ability...Don't think we can hope for anything more then an interchangeable 3rd/4th liner/reserve in this guythat...

As for comparing them vs Hollweg..I guess in some instance they could be better (esepcially on offense)..But not for the current version of the Rangers..Neither have the speed, hitting, and forechecking ability (and his defensive postioning has gotten much better also) that Renney uses Hollweg for ...

Thanks for the great post.

Old
01-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Korpikoski will make next years team out of camp and alot of people will eat their words.

That is all.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:50 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Korpikoski will make next years team out of camp and alot of people will eat their words.

That is all.
I'd love to do it.

Old
01-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
On the Finninsh National team, Korpikosi was on this strong line with Kukonen (Kings?) and Nikoleanen (sp? Isles?).When drafted, the Rangers raved about how highly they had Korpikoski rated (higher then kids picked before him) and how they thought he had a huge offensive upside to go with his already developed defensive awareness...There has been very little offensive development and his defensive game has proven to be that special either..Perhaps in time..

Old
01-03-2008, 03:54 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

isn't Korpi one of the fastest skaters. I could swear i keep hearing about how damn fast he is. I also thought he was a good forechecker. Euro's also seem to take longer to develop than North Americans. I think he will blossom in another 2 yrs. Remember he is still very young.

Jessiman I think will blossom in another 2 yrs as well to a solid 3rd liner maybe 2nd liner. Look at Antropov. Power forwards generally take longer as well. From what I've read he has been getting better this year. Although he isn't that young, I think it would be worth it to sign him to a 2-3yr contract and just see if he can develop.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:56 PM
E-Train

Quote:
On the Finninsh National team, Korpikosi was on this strong line with Kukonen (Kings?) and Nikoleanen (sp? Isles?).When drafted, the Rangers raved about how highly they had Korpikoski rated (higher then kids picked before him) and how they thought he had a huge offensive upside to go with his already developed defensive awareness...There has been very little offensive development and his defensive game has proven to be that special either..Perhaps in time..
All 3 have been underwhelming. I remember all the hype around Tukonen, still have some hope for the Korpedo.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Yea, I remember hearing that as well. I remember comparisons to Alfredsson, but we haven't really seen him breakout in NA yet. I don't get to watch Hartford often. Could anyone give me an assessment of his defensive play this year? If he's still playing a strong mental game, it could eventually only be a matter of finding the right linemates to get him going offensively.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
isn't Korpi one of the fastest skaters. I could swear i keep hearing about how damn fast he is. I also thought he was a good forechecker.
yeah, he is. I think Korpikoski is a much better fit than Hollweg for his current role.

if Hollweg is faster and a better forechecker than Korpikoski, Straka could one-punch Orr

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 04:09 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
isn't Korpi one of the fastest skaters. I could swear i keep hearing about how damn fast he is. I also thought he was a good forechecker. Euro's also seem to take longer to develop than North Americans. I think he will blossom in another 2 yrs. Remember he is still very young.

Jessiman I think will blossom in another 2 yrs as well to a solid 3rd liner maybe 2nd liner. Look at Antropov. Power forwards generally take longer as well. From what I've read he has been getting better this year. Although he isn't that young, I think it would be worth it to sign him to a 2-3yr contract and just see if he can develop.
I thought I heard the same kinds of things about Korpikoski's speed.

I know big guys progress slower, but 25-26-27 before he cracks the NHL? C'mon is he really even worth it at that point? When his contract is up, Hartford should sign him to a ML contract. If he plays well, he's a long time Wolfpack, if he plays great, the Rangers can sign him as they did Girardi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'd love for you to be right. Where do you project him to play, 2nd, 3rd, 4th line?

Old
01-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
yeah, he is. I think Korpikoski is a much better fit than Hollweg for his current role.

if Hollweg is faster and a better forechecker than Korpikoski, Straka could one-punch Orr
Put them on in an NHL game and i have no doubt Hollweg would show more speed and better forechecking then Korp right now...If Korpikoski has speed, he sure as hell doesn't use it all the time..On too many nights he is basically invisible both ways...There is some potential there but he has a long way to go before he is anything more then a inconsisent, average AHLer..maybe in 2-3 years we'll see something..

Old
01-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

The Korpedo pick reminds me of the Niklas Sundstrom pick of the 1990s. I'm not sure why Don Maloney was so high on him but he certainly danced a jig when we were able to trade up and get him.
As far as Jessiman is concerned, he's only a huge bust because he was a first rounder. If he had been a third rounder he'd be considered a marginal prospect with some promise. I can tell you that no other team was probably looking at this kid as a power forward. I'm not sure what was in Sather's head that day at the draft table.
Right now this great plethora of prospects that we have in this organization that everyone was raving about isn't looking all that great. And that's why I'm hesitant to start dealing any of the guys who've actually made it to the Rangers so quickly. Do we really want to deal Prucha, Callahan and Dawes so quickly with virtually nothing to show for it behind them (Korpikoski, Bourret, Greg Moore, Dane Byers). Sure Anisimov and Cherepanov are on the way but it will be years before they are here and getting top six forward ice time.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 04:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
As far as Jessiman is concerned, he's only a huge bust because he was a first rounder. If he had been a third rounder he'd be considered a marginal prospect with some promise. I can tell you that no other team was probably looking at this kid as a power forward. I'm not sure what was in Sather's head that day at the draft table.
That's an interesting take. My response would be if he was a third round pick, the Rangers would not have been as patient as they have been with him. Whether he was a first or third round pick, it's never a good thing when you're 5 years from being drafted and you are a marginal AHL player. And that is compounded when so many of his classmates have made the step to the NHL.

Old
01-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I thought I heard the same kinds of things about Korpikoski's speed.

I know big guys progress slower, but 25-26-27 before he cracks the NHL? C'mon is he really even worth it at that point? When his contract is up, Hartford should sign him to a ML contract. If he plays well, he's a long time Wolfpack, if he plays great, the Rangers can sign him as they did Girardi.

I'd love for you to be right. Where do you project him to play, 2nd, 3rd, 4th line?
Probably start on the 3rd. I think he has the offensive skills to make it to 2nd eventually.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Levitate

Jessiman seems to be doing better in the past two weeks or so. Hard to tell if this is a short lived surge of production, or if he's finally developing some more. I'd also be really interested to see his icetime over the course of the season and see if there's any correlation between his increased production and an increase in icetime (though it might be hard to determine if the increased production resulted in the increased icetime, or vice versa).

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 07:46 PM
squishy

I was pretty hard on both of them in my first quarter grades, but must admit that both have looked better since. Jessiman in particular has been more noticeable. He's been physically engaged on a more consistent basis since around the midpoint of December. He seems to be putting up points fairly regularly as well. [Note: No, that doesn't mean I think he should or will be called up anytime soon.]

Edit to add: For the record, lack of speed is not a criticism that can be leveled against Korpikoski. That's one of the best things he has going for him.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 07:57 PM
HAPPY HOUR

The only issue that I see with Lori's game is his lack of strength. It was a draft day "issue" that was acknowledged by management but till now hasn't developed as quickly as it should have.

Watching him live though, this kid has twin turbos in his skates.

Nice to see Hugh producing but watching him skate up close you can see that he still needs to increase his core strength for better balance and power.

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 01-03-2008 at 08:06 PM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote