HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Isles down for playing Rangers outdoors

Old
01-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
By its definition. Value is a benefit received in return for effort, monetary spending, exchange of some sort, etc. It is customary to measure value in units of initial contribution (dollars and cents, hours of work or rest, gallons, bushels, etc.), but not always so.
I see no or very little benefit in outdoor game due to the fact that its outcome is no different then any indoor game. I don't give a flying crap about game popularity, nor do I care about Fishsticks and necessity to beat them soundly. All I care is two points the Rangers getting (or not) on the gameday.
Any value in fun?

Sheesh

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
By its definition. Value is a benefit received in return for effort, monetary spending, exchange of some sort, etc. It is customary to measure value in units of initial contribution (dollars and cents, hours of work or rest, gallons, bushels, etc.), but not always so.
I see no or very little benefit in outdoor game due to the fact that its outcome is no different then any indoor game. I don't give a flying crap about game popularity, nor do I care about Fishsticks and necessity to beat them soundly. All I care is two points the Rangers getting (or not) on the gameday.
Okay, I didn't know if you meant monetary value to the clubs, value in terms of publicity to the league, emotional value, etc... I'm pretty sure I know how to define value, but thanks.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
I brought this up in a different thread and have been dying to see this at Yankee Stadium but...

Against the Isles??????

OMFGZ....Where do I sign up??

The 2 teams would be so pumped man...I'd imagine the game could get outta hand and be just superb for the fans. LoL.

Would be awesome without a doubt..

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:03 PM
GilliesGirlie

It would be great!

I keep hearing about how the weather is so unpredictable in NY at that time of year. While it is, I don't think it would be a that much of a concern since the Rangers and Kings played an outdoor game in freakin' Las Vegas in 91.

It would be great, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Old
01-03-2008, 03:55 PM
MTK

I am all for an Isles/Rangers at Yankee stadium or Shea...they would need to hire more police officers for the event b/c I would imagine 55,000 fans in NY are going to be out of hand. It would make the news for being a outside hockey game and make the news for all the stuff that happens in the stands

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 04:00 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAUTIKA16 View Post
I am all for an Isles/Rangers at Yankee stadium or Shea...they would need to hire more police officers for the event b/c I would imagine 55,000 fans in NY are going to be out of hand. It would make the news for being a outside hockey game and make the news for all the stuff that happens in the stands
I heard something on WFAN that someone at Yankee stadium said it wouldnt be safe for the fans at that time in the winter because "they were afraid of certain structural elements freezing up" or something along those lines...

How about in the NEW yankee stadium in 2009?

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 05:59 PM
potvins4cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I heard something on WFAN that someone at Yankee stadium said it wouldnt be safe for the fans at that time in the winter because "they were afraid of certain structural elements freezing up" or something along those lines...
I am going to assume that the person saying that is some kind of baseball purist who is still in denial that the mitchell report came out. baseball purists do not want this potential game to take place and i believe they would put all sorts of pressure on the yankees to can the thought of it. i can just hear the outrage now.

structural elements freezing up what a joke. what about when football was played in yankee stadium in the freezing weather? or better yet when baseball in yankee stadium has been played in freezing weather late in october? it has happened a couple times hasnt it?

potvins4cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 06:05 PM
bubba5

Why cant it be a Giants stadium, I think the sightlines would be better anyway.

bubba5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 06:10 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Just do it at Giants Stadium, you can fit more people.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins4cups View Post
I am going to assume that the person saying that is some kind of baseball purist who is still in denial that the mitchell report came out. baseball purists do not want this potential game to take place and i believe they would put all sorts of pressure on the yankees to can the thought of it. i can just hear the outrage now.

structural elements freezing up what a joke. what about when football was played in yankee stadium in the freezing weather? or better yet when baseball in yankee stadium has been played in freezing weather late in october? it has happened a couple times hasnt it?
Why would a baseball purist care what happens at a stadium in the offseason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Why cant it be a Giants stadium, I think the sightlines would be better anyway.
Giants Stadium just doesn't have the character of Yankee Stadium, with the facade and the courthouse, or even Shea. I'd pick Yankee Stadium first, then Shea. Giants Stadium is just too plain compared the baseball stadiums.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 06:40 PM
potvins4cups

[QUOTE=JohnnyChoice;11873524]Why would a baseball purist care what happens at a stadium in the offseason?
QUOTE]

Yankee stadium is a storied stadium. alot of history there. purists hold baseball very dear to their hearts. many purists believe the only sport worth talking about is baseball. they are so wrapped up in the history and legacy of their game that having anything but a baseball game being the final sporting event held there would be some sort of blasphemy.

Old
01-03-2008, 07:43 PM
bubba5

[QUOTE=potvins4cups;11873681]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
QUOTE]

Yankee stadium is a storied stadium. alot of history there. purists hold baseball very dear to their hearts. many purists believe the only sport worth talking about is baseball. they are so wrapped up in the history and legacy of their game that having anything but a baseball game being the final sporting event held there would be some sort of blasphemy.
So what history does the Buffalo stadium have, plus you get 70,000 + into Giants stadium as opposed to the 40,000+ in Yankees stadium, plus you can tallgate in the parking lot, shoot the puck around drunk, etc.

Old
01-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Choice

[QUOTE=potvins4cups;11873681]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
QUOTE]

Isn't a Billy Joel concert or something already scheduled to be the last event? I don't see why anyone would care.

Old
01-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

[QUOTE=JohnnyChoice;11876190]
Quote:

Isn't a Billy Joel concert or something already scheduled to be the last event? I don't see why anyone would care.
Nobody would, you are correct.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Choice

[QUOTE=bubba5;11875050]
Quote:

So what history does the Buffalo stadium have, plus you get 70,000 + into Giants stadium as opposed to the 40,000+ in Yankees stadium, plus you can tallgate in the parking lot, shoot the puck around drunk, etc.
I've been in the upper deck of Giants Stadium, I have good eyesight, and I couldn't follow a puck from up there.

IMO It'd be less cool at Giants Stadium just because of the way it looks. It would just look so much cooler at Yankee Stadium.

Plus if it was at Giants Stadium the Devils would have to be involved.

Old
01-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

Just in case you people in New York aren't pissed off enough with the Toronto hockey media after the Avery/ Blake incident, I bring you another moronic Toronto reporter.

Scott Morrison says...."Are there, for instance, 70,000 hockey fans in New York that would attend an outdoor game? Not sure, although it would be spectacular if it worked."

from this........... http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hoc...50530-sun.html

Blue'sClues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 08:56 PM
John Torturella

People dont realize that with the technology available, the temperature does not matter. They played an outdoor game in Vegas when it was 80 degrees out. The ice was too cold.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I would love to spank the devils at Giants stadium....

Old
01-03-2008, 11:51 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I've been in the last row at Giants Stadium..the players look like amoebas from up there. I don't know if that would work well. I think Ralph Wilson Stadium is more spread out whereas Giants Stadium is more compacted.

I would love the idea of a game at Yankee Stadium and I don't understand the freezing structure complaint. It snowed twice in the first week last season and I was at a game (the A-Rod walk-off grand slam against the O's) where it was about 30 degrees and I was in a parka.

The only thing about the Stadium is, how would the ice be constructed? Would it be from left field to right field? And if so, those sitting behind home plate would be a really long way from the field. I think these games are structured more for football stadiums. Shea is a full circle so that would be a little better than the shape that Yankee Stadium is in.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 05:39 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

This is a novelty game. I don't think anyone will see the ice well accept those at home watching on TV!

Old
01-04-2008, 06:27 AM
GarretJoseph

i was working outside today in 15 degrees weather. i think i'll pass and watch from my seat at the garden.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 07:47 AM
potvins4cups

[QUOTE=JohnnyChoice;11876190]
Quote:

No that is happening at shea stadium. shea does not have the aura or history of yankee stadium. two different issues.

Old
01-04-2008, 11:30 AM
MTK

[quote=bubba5;11875050]
Quote:

you can tailgate in the parking garages??? and Stan's

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 04:29 PM
The Thomas J.*

Do it @ Giants stadium!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 06:57 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Just in case you people in New York aren't pissed off enough with the Toronto hockey media after the Avery/ Blake incident, I bring you another moronic Toronto reporter.

Scott Morrison says...."Are there, for instance, 70,000 hockey fans in New York that would attend an outdoor game? Not sure, although it would be spectacular if it worked."

from this........... http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hoc...50530-sun.html
I guess this reporter was not at the parade in 1994!