HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Korpedo VS Huge Specimen

Old
01-03-2008, 08:03 PM
DontStepanMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I know big guys progress slower, but 25-26-27 before he cracks the NHL? C'mon is he really even worth it at that point? When his contract is up, Hartford should sign him to a ML contract. If he plays well, he's a long time Wolfpack, if he plays great, the Rangers can sign him as they did Girardi.
I know it's a little bit of a stretch but look at Antropov and Bertuzzi. It took both 8 yrs in the NHL to really get going. Bertuzzi had 2 yrs in juniors (none in the A), while Antropov had 1 yr in Russia and less than a season in the A. Both were rushed to the NHL before they were ready, and it took them longer to develop.

Now, Jessiman has been in the minors for what 2 yrs (this being his third), and had a little over 2 season's of college hockey ending it w/ a serious injury that took time to rehabilitate and costing him progress. We have the luxury of being more patient w/ Jessiman so why not. That's why I don't think they should discard him after this year. Especially since he is showing signs of improvement this year. He could break out once he gets his confidence going, and keeps working. It's a low risk, high reward to try to sign him to a 2 way deal in the offseason.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I still stand by assertion that Jessiman will be a key contributor for the NYR for many years.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Where are all those poster who said to me that those euro stats for Korp didn't mean anything? Where are the guys who said he was gonna be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL? I seen in early on and said it since the draft, he was only a first rounder because of that line he played on and we once again bit on an over rated player in the draft. He is going to be an NHL player though just not good enough to justify his first round drafting, think Niko Kapanen with maybe a bit less offense.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 01:46 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Where are all those poster who said to me that those euro stats for Korp didn't mean anything? Where are the guys who said he was gonna be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL? I seen in early on and said it since the draft, he was only a first rounder because of that line he played on and we once again bit on an over rated player in the draft. He is going to be an NHL player though just not good enough to justify his first round drafting, think Niko Kapanen with maybe a bit less offense.
I was thinking a less skilled more physical PJ Axelsson. Good 3rd line player 4th line PK type.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 08:12 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Where are all those poster who said to me that those euro stats for Korp didn't mean anything?
Not that poster but look at some players who didn't put up the biggest #'s in Euro but are stars here. Euro stats don't mean all that much.

GP G A Pts.

Daniel Alfredson
1992-93 Vastra Frolunda HC Goteborg SEL 21 1 5 6
1993-94 Vastra Frolunda HC Goteborg SEL 39 20 10 30
1994-95 Vastra Frolunda HC Goteborg SEL 22 7 11 18

Pavel Datsyuk
1996-97 Yekaterinburg Spartak Russia 18 2 2 4
1997-98 Yekaterinburg Dynamo Rus-1 22 7 8 15
1997-98 Yekaterinburg Dynamo Russia 24 3 5 8
1999-00 Yekaterinburg Dynamo Russia 15 1 3 4
2000-01 Kazan Ak-Bars Russia 42 9 17 26

Alexander Ovechkin
2001-02 Moscow Dynamo Russia 21 2 2 4
2002-03 Moscow Dynamo Russia 40 8 7 15
2003-04 Moscow Dynamo Russia 53 13 10 23
2004-05 Moscow Dynamo Russia 37 13 14 27

Then look at the other spectrum. Jarkko Immonen. He rips up the Sweedish league but couldn't really crack the NHL.

Bottom line is Korpi is only 21 right now. He is still learning and developing. He is 8the team in points, and only 1 of the 7 people in front of him are younger. Anisimov.

And the other person talked about in this thread Jessiman is 5th on the team in scoring.

Patience is a virtue. People relax.

Old
01-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I still stand by assertion that Jessiman will be a key contributor for the NYR for many years.
Good luck with that assertion. I don't see that at all. I doubt he ever cracks the Rangers lineup. He's a career AHLer for sure.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 11:42 AM
chosen

It sure does seem that all of the highly touted kids are one by one losing their luster. All prospects look great until reality sets in. Then you hope that at least a couple turn out to be as advertised.

If the 2 Russian kids don't turn out as hoped the cupboard is closer to bare than stacked, as we have been led to believe over the last 2 years.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Fletch

Korps' stats in the Finnish league...

really don't matter much. He was an 18 year old playing in a men's league. While many stars in the legaue have excelled in leagues such as the RSL and SEL, you can't expect every 18 and 19 year old to crack the lineups and if they don't they shouldn't be called busts. Many North American players are afforded two seasons to develop in juniors prior to hitting the AHL/NHL. Korps hit the AHL while playing little in an men's league, while his counterparts were honing their skills against lesser competition, but nonetheless developing.

Having said that, it's tough for one to say what Korps would turn out to be. In the last three seasons he hasn't shown any real offensive ability (and you can't blame him much - it's like keeping Malhotra up and expecting him to produce as an 18 year old in the NHL when he's on the bench). So Korps has to make up for lost development time.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
I was one of those and I still stand by my assertions at the time. There's no crystal ball you can look into and say a prospect will pan out this way or not. You weren't thrilled by the decision to draft him, I thought it was potentially a very good one. Both of us had solid arguments. I still don't think that the final word has been said on how good he will be.

If you look back on the draft, the Rangers were very high on the Korpedo (especially our Euro-Guru Rockström, if you'll recall). They also knew that he wouldn't fall any further than Dallas, who were set to draft him, so they went for it. You can argue whether he was the right guy to go after, but they did have sound reasoning for their decision.

With hindsight, sure, the Rangers could have gone for Zajac, but there were good, soundly reasoned questions about the level of competition he had faced up until that point.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 02:21 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I know it's a little bit of a stretch but look at Antropov and Bertuzzi. It took both 8 yrs in the NHL to really get going. Bertuzzi had 2 yrs in juniors (none in the A), while Antropov had 1 yr in Russia and less than a season in the A. Both were rushed to the NHL before they were ready, and it took them longer to develop.

Now, Jessiman has been in the minors for what 2 yrs (this being his third), and had a little over 2 season's of college hockey ending it w/ a serious injury that took time to rehabilitate and costing him progress. We have the luxury of being more patient w/ Jessiman so why not. That's why I don't think they should discard him after this year. Especially since he is showing signs of improvement this year. He could break out once he gets his confidence going, and keeps working. It's a low risk, high reward to try to sign him to a 2 way deal in the offseason.
I'm not saying discard him, I'm saying that Hartford should sign him not NYR because this is the first year that he's shown that he can stay in the AHL where previously the best he could do was shuttle back and fourth between Hartford and Charlotte. As a member of the Hartford organization if he shows himself worthy, the Rangers could always sign him to a contract. The only concern would be if he was offered a deal by another NHL club, which I can't see happening at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
This is a bit of stretch don't you think?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Gardner McKay
The NYR get...

vCash: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Korpikoski will make next years team out of camp and alot of people will eat their words.

That is all.
Not with Chere, Anisimov and Dawes taking available spots.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 02:55 PM
DontStepanMe

[QUOTE=vipernsx;11887310]The only concern would be if he was offered a deal by another NHL club, which I can't see happening at this time.
QUOTE]
This is what I would be afraid about if he starts playing well next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hplaya94 View Post
Not with Chere, Anisimov and Dawes taking available spots.
First off,

Dawes isn't that good either. he has done nothing at the NHL level to warrant a guaranteed spot next year, and I don't think he will even be on the Rangers next year (i see him traded).

Second,

There is no Guarantee Chere will be in NA next year let alone on the Rangers. He has a two year deal in Russia and is not extactly lighting up the league. Tretiak is closing that loophole before the end of the season where players can leave easy. I actually don't think Chere will be in NA next year. Nor from what I have read so far do I think he will be ready yet.

Third,

What has Anisimov done to solidify his spot next year at NYR either. He isn't the best player on HFD, nor is he dominating the leauge. He is progressing nicely but he isn't a guarantee either since technically we don't need any new centers next year. (Gomez, Drury, Dubi, Betts). i think him coming here will be a reflection of how well Dubi is progressing. If the coaches think Dubi can handle the second line and use Drury as a wing Ani could be called up. I think there is a 60-40 chance that he will start next season in NY, but it is all subject to change.

Old
01-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Not that poster but look at some players who didn't put up the biggest #'s in Euro but are stars here. Euro stats don't mean all that much.

GP G A Pts.

Daniel Alfredson
1992-93 Vastra Frolunda HC Goteborg SEL 21 1 5 6
1993-94 Vastra Frolunda HC Goteborg SEL 39 20 10 30
1994-95 Vastra Frolunda HC Goteborg SEL 22 7 11 18

Pavel Datsyuk
1996-97 Yekaterinburg Spartak Russia 18 2 2 4
1997-98 Yekaterinburg Dynamo Rus-1 22 7 8 15
1997-98 Yekaterinburg Dynamo Russia 24 3 5 8
1999-00 Yekaterinburg Dynamo Russia 15 1 3 4
2000-01 Kazan Ak-Bars Russia 42 9 17 26

Alexander Ovechkin
2001-02 Moscow Dynamo Russia 21 2 2 4
2002-03 Moscow Dynamo Russia 40 8 7 15
2003-04 Moscow Dynamo Russia 53 13 10 23
2004-05 Moscow Dynamo Russia 37 13 14 27

Then look at the other spectrum. Jarkko Immonen. He rips up the Sweedish league but couldn't really crack the NHL.

Bottom line is Korpi is only 21 right now. He is still learning and developing. He is 8the team in points, and only 1 of the 7 people in front of him are younger. Anisimov.

And the other person talked about in this thread Jessiman is 5th on the team in scoring.

Patience is a virtue. People relax.

I don't think Korp is even in the same class as those guys u mentioned in your post. He had 3 goals in two seasons. Those guys you mentioned are superstars, I don't think anyone in here had hopes of him being a superstar even with is stock being it's highest when he was drafted. I'm not saying he is crap, he was just a bad first round pick along with Jessiman. Could have gotten way better bang for the buck with those picks.

And Immonen was never given a real chance with the Rangers, he produced while he was here, but there was something Renney didn't like about his game, I think he felt he was too slow? I'm not too sure about that though.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

If anything, Jessiman's numbers are better. He doesn't need to put up high numbers to make into the NHL, he can be a banger.

If Jessiman can ever score 20 points in the NHL while hitting everything in sight, he'll be a solid NHLer.

Korps doesn't have the body to hit everything in sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I haven't been able to see either of these guys play this year but I do try to read up and watch their stats:

Hugh Jessiman RW 35 9 10 19 +5 79 2 0 0.54 2.26
Lauri Korpikoski LW 34 6 11 17 +11 32 2 0 0.50 0.94

As stated by theahl.com http://stats.theahl.com/stats/statdi...&singleSeason=

Okay, is this good or bad?

Does this mean that the Huge Specimen is finaly turning into a hockey player or does this mean that Korpedo, with all the skills, in his second full season in the AHL, still can't put them together to beat out Jessiman in his offensive production? Jessiman who many considered to be a bust.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Ola

Lauri Koprikoski got allot of aspects pinned down. His attitude. He moves really well. In the AHL you can get away with only beieng able to skate in lanes like Rico Fata, but in the NHL you must be able to master your speed allot better. Lauri skates really well from that point of view. Lauri sees the ice really well. He can defenitly handle the puck. He is decent around the net.

But what I had not expected is that he haven't been able to improve his speed much at all the last 2 seasons.

Korpikoski is trying to develop a "go-to" offensive game in HFD, something he never really have had, and its maybe not likely that he ever will be able to develop. If he struggles with that, it don't concern me all that much. For me the diffrence is that if he makes the NHL, wheter he then will play on a 2nd or 3rd line.

What do concern me somewhat is that he haven't become much faster or stronger at all. We took him over when he was 19 y/o, and he was always a late bloomer. Kids that age that are thin built and got a good stride, usually becomes allot faster and natrually stronger the comming seasons. Korpedo have develop his offensive game some since comming to HFD, but he haven't really become better on the forecheck or along the boards, because he isn't any faster, and he isn't any stronger.

Thats suprising. I mean, watch a video of Marc Staal when he is 18 and compare it with how he looks right now, you can tell after 5 sec how much he have developed his skating and strength. Do the same with Korpi and it would be really hard to see whos whom of the Korpikoskis (the 18-19 y/o vs the 21-22 y/o)...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Ola

Comparing the two, there is one big diffrent. Jessiman got miles and miles to go before he could be used in a bigger role then a 4th lineer, in other words in a role where he have to move the puck in other areas then behind the net in the attacking zone.

Korpikosi could probably play on our 2nd line today, and not bring his teammates down much. Jessiman would constanly find himself lost in the pace in a role like that, zones behind the play. I am not saying that Lauro could "beat out" Avery/Prucha/Callahan for that role. But he would be better on a 2nd line overall then Nigel Dawes, in all aspects of the play, help his linemates more, but Nigel natrually got a much better scoring touch.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 07:23 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Korpikoski will make next years team out of camp and alot of people will eat their words.

That is all.
HOPE SO...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote