HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Columbus Blue Jackets @ Anaheim Ducks 10pm EST 1-2-08

Old
01-03-2008, 11:28 AM
JacketsFanWest

vCash: 500
I thought they played a pretty good game (except for not getting any breaks offensively). It's a game they absolutely should have been able to win. Leclaire was solid.

Major props to Andrew Murray. I was impressed with the way he played. He's definitely a keeper. Lindstrom looked good, was strong on the puck and made some good passes.

I'm a little concerned about LA tonight the way they sort of ran out of gas last night. But it's a team they absolutely should beat and need to beat to get some points out of this road trip.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:05 PM
stoney17

Leclaire on NHL's frozen moment

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...e=FrozenMoment

stoney17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:22 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
lol, lord forbid anyone say anthing bad about your precious Hainsey. He's been better of late, last night was not one of those games. I don't know what the hell is was doing on that goal. He probably has no clue what he was thinking. Beyond the first PP, he was average, at best. He wasn't the reason we lost, but he can't make plays like that if we expect to win on the road. Was he our biggest problem? No. But he made one of the most obvious blunders. From the slow motion, with all the flopping around he did, he looked like he just had to move his chest over about 6 inches and problem solved.
This is a perfect example of not seeing the forest for the trees. A fluke goal goes off the guy and I'm to believe my eyes deceived me the rest of the night and that he wasn't one of our better blue liners. Foote and Hainsey were the only guys bothering to attempt to clear the Ducks out of our crease.

He made one mistake which is easy to perceive with super-slo-mo, but anyone who's actually played the game knows things like this happen in the blink of an eye. The guy didn't give up a breakaway, pinch at the wrong time, etc. He happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Much like Foote who, as memory serves me, had a week where he seemed to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It sucks, but hypothesizing that he should have had clairvoyance to move his chest is beyond ridiculous. Let's see you do it in the same situation in real-time.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
This is a perfect example of not seeing the forest for the trees. A fluke goal goes off the guy and I'm to believe my eyes deceived me the rest of the night and that he wasn't one of our better blue liners. Foote and Hainsey were the only guys bothering to attempt to clear the Ducks out of our crease.

He made one mistake which is easy to perceive with super-slo-mo, but anyone who's actually played the game knows things like this happen in the blink of an eye. The guy didn't give up a breakaway, pinch at the wrong time, etc. He happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Much like Foote who, as memory serves me, had a week where he seemed to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It sucks, but hypothesizing that he should have had clairvoyance to move his chest is beyond ridiculous. Let's see you do it in the same situation in real-time.
Spot On.

I'm surprised to see that more than half the posts for this GDT are based on how bad our defense was.

We score 1 goal in this game and all the blame is put on the D. The defense appears to be the only facet of this team that shows up on a nightly basis.

How can we put the blame on one fluky goal that outside of last night you will rarely see.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Ar-too

vCash: 1122
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
How can we put the blame on one fluky goal that outside of last night you will rarely see.
We never score that goal so it must be the defense's fault for letting it in.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 01:06 PM
blahblah

Quote:

Full motion, slow motion, FF, it was still a was a bad play that directly led to a goal. It looked bad at the time it happened, looked bad at full motion on the replay, and looked downright comical in slow motion. When you have one of those, your gonna get dumped on. You just take your lumps, learn, and move on. Your paid to do a job, on that play he didn't. People get the glory when they score a game winning goal, you are gonna be the heel when you create the game losing goal on what should have been a totally harmless shot.

I'm not going to compare his play to anyone else's when I talk about him, so I could care less what the other D did. You could suck less then everyone else and still.. suck... Beyond that play he didn't have a terrible game, but he certainly wasn't up to the level he had been over the last week. At certain points during the game he was good, at other points he was just.. average...

It was a bump in the road, and I'm ready to move on. I'm more curious to see how the team responds tonight then Hainsey and his brain cramp last night.

For the record I played baseball for 8 years, and used to hit 85 MPH fastballs and played some SS. Getting in front of that shot would have been cake. He barely had to move to block it. It would have taken less effort to block it then try and twist and catch it like he did. It would have taken less effort and had been far easier. Having said that it was his first reaction, it was instinctive from him. Don't know why you thought it's rediculous, these guys block shots all the time. That should be one of their first thoughts, not catching it. They can't close their hand over the puck, they aren't playing baseball. He was clearly trying to catch it.

Last edited by blahblah: 01-03-2008 at 01:18 PM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Spot On.

I'm surprised to see that more than half the posts for this GDT are based on how bad our defense was.

We score 1 goal in this game and all the blame is put on the D. The defense appears to be the only facet of this team that shows up on a nightly basis.

Amen.

I played D on the soccer field for many years and the plays everyone most remembers after losses are the plays that led to the other teams' gw goals. Noone remembers the plays that the team *should* have scored on, or the plays that never developed for the other team because you did your job well. All it takes is one mistake at the wrong moment and you're name is mud. You know I have yet to see anyone play a perfect game, Hainsey was just unfortunate enough to make a mistake while trying to block a shot on the PK.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 02:07 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Spot On.

Actually, if you read my first response to the Capn, it said the the team didn't match the Ducks intensity level for the last half of the game (and half of the first period). That's the main reason we lost.

Having said that, the Capn didn't want people to be critical of Hainsey's play that directly lead to a goal. That's not going to happen. When you play leads directly to a goal, your deserve some criticism. Just like the 4 lost souls that watched as the Ducks scored that first goal. There were some cool spectators for that one.

His play was ok for most of the night, but he was not up to the level he had been playing over the last week or two (most of the team wasn't). He'll survive. It's not like that was the 7th game of the Stanley Cup playoff's. Heck 99.9% of Columbus didn't even get to see it.

Old
01-03-2008, 02:10 PM
pipe dreams

this game was clearly not any one person or team fault. the CBJ lack talent and it is embarassing. they have 10 million to spend and never stop making excuses why they ca'nt spend it. this team has done an excellent job playing with what they have and I have seen nothing from old managment new managment or ownership that suggests they are willing to spend any money.
Hitch has done an amzing job with what he has ( not much)

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 02:15 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Boys

~ Your Mom

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 02:19 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

You boys better settle down up there.

~ Your mom

Old
01-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Prestonn99

Send a message via AIM to Prestonn99
Quote:

For the record I played baseball for 8 years, and used to hit 85 MPH fastballs and played some SS. Getting in front of that shot would have been cake. He barely had to move to block it. It would have taken less effort to block it then try and twist and catch it like he did. It would have taken less effort and had been far easier. Having said that it was his first reaction, it was instinctive from him. Don't know why you thought it's rediculous, these guys block shots all the time. That should be one of their first thoughts, not catching it. They can't close their hand over the puck, they aren't playing baseball. He was clearly trying to catch it.
Ever tried it on Ice? I have a strange feeling it tends to be a little harder to react.

Prestonn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:10 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestonn99 View Post
Ever tried it on Ice? I have a strange feeling it tends to be a little harder to react.
There is that, it would be harder. However, if you watch the play, really didn't have to "move" to get to it. If he left his arm straight, it might have just hit and and dropped. He simply made the wrong instinctive reaction. He reacted, actually he over-reacted. He seemed caught between trying to catch it and trying to avoid it. Just block it and move on already.

However it's done. Hainey just takes a lump and moves on. Won't be the last time in his career something like this happens. He's constant problems with puck control the first 30 games were more annoying then that play.

Old
01-03-2008, 03:11 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post

You boys better settle down up there.

~ Your mom
Bah, I'm playing nice.... For me...

People get all fired up trying to protect thier favorite players. Be like me and don't have one. Then you'll never get blinded to what's going on, in your attempt to be right in your decision to make him your favorite player.

At the end of the day it's Ron Frickin Hainsey. Who cares? This guys never going to be confused with the elite in the league.... He's barely worth talking about in the scheme of things.

Last edited by blahblah: 01-03-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old
01-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Handyy

Quote:

Very, very well said. Agreed 100%.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Bah, I'm playing nice.... For me...

People get all fired up trying to protect thier favorite players. Be like me and don't have one. Then you'll never get blinded to what's going on, in your attempt to be right in your decision to make him your favorite player.

At the end of the day it's Ron Frickin Hainsey. Who cares? This guys never going to be confused with the elite in the league.... He's barely worth talking about in the scheme of things.
Even with my new pink and rosy glasses on (JF sent me one of his used pairs) Hainsey was not the reason we lost... How many games has Foote scored for the other team?

We lost because we could not generate any emotion or skill in front of Giguere, we lost because Nash was beaten by Pronger and company, we lost because we could not score. Prediction: we will lose 99% of the games we score 1 or zero goals.

I think our overall defense and goaltending is good enough for the playoffs but untill someone in the management department does something about our lack of scoring consistency we will probably hover around .500 for quite some time.

btw: the chat room was a blast...but I'm light years away from being as technically skilled as those posting there.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

I think our overall defense and goaltending is good enough for the playoffs but untill someone in the management department does something about our lack of scoring consistency we will probably hover around .500 for quite some time.
You got it, but I also don't think its that easy to do something about that lack of offense.

Old
01-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:

I can't root for the team without becoming attached to the players. Some fans think its fine to throw a player or two under the bus when the team loses, I don't. Hainsey made a mistake, but if the game hinges on that one play, then we put ourselves in a position to lose. How many times has he fished a would be goal out of the crease for Pazzy?

Old
01-03-2008, 04:01 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Even with my new pink and rosy glasses on (JF sent me one of his used pairs) Hainsey was not the reason we lost... How many games has Foote scored for the other team?

We lost because we could not generate any emotion or skill in front of Giguere, we lost because Nash was beaten by Pronger and company, we lost because we could not score. Prediction: we will lose 99% of the games we score 1 or zero goals.
lol, I agree with everything you just said... We didn't lose the game because of Hainsey (although he didn't help us any with that play either). I said that in earlier posts. You are right, when we score 1 goal, we aren't going to win many games.

Having said that, Hainsey still looked like an idiot on that play. Yeah, I'm gonna give him grief... He looked like a n00b matador out there, trying not get trampled....

Old
01-03-2008, 04:16 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I can't root for the team without becoming attached to the players. Some fans think its fine to throw a player or two under the bus when the team loses, I don't. Hainsey made a mistake, but if the game hinges on that one play, then we put ourselves in a position to lose. How many times has he fished a would be goal out of the crease for Pazzy?
I think 3.. And?

Nah, my comment about the players was my lame attempt at dry humor. Most people are going to have a favorite player(s). I wasn't being serious.

Me? I have players I like but I don't get attached to them. Nash, Leclaire, Norenna, Modin, Zherdev, Methot, Novotny, Hejda, Boll. They tend to be the players that I think are performing at a consistant high level and they can change over the course of a couple of weeks (it takes longer to get on my "like" list, then to be removed, however. I do allow for slumps). Hainsey, believe it or not, is actually growing on my a little (because his play has improved). At some point they are going to get moved and it's all down hill from there. You get all emotional when they leave. Not worth it to me. Paul O'Neil was the last player that I got mad about one of my teams moving for moving. I still hate the Reds from office over that move. That was the only time I have ever rooted for a NY team, I still feel dirty.

However, I am weird, so whatever.

Old
01-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Straight Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I haven't even seen this (blunder?) of Hainsey's, but I have seen plenty from him. It brings to mind, somewhere in a Dispatch article in the last month, Hitch talking about Hainsey. Last yr. he said he yanked Hainsey out in critical situations and (although he has evolved quite a bit) it was at a time he blindly passed to an opposing player which, again, led to the game losing goal. It was an attempted clear, only facing the boards without bothering to look around. As a team we tend to do this a lot, not just him. Hainsey is improving, I just don't know if we can afford the "pricetag". As Hitch keeps stating there is such a fine line twixt winning and losing and we keep ending up below this line. This team has such little room for error on most nights. I will call Hitch out for saying we are a better road team, more focused and better than at home. Results speak for themselves.

Straight Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Jacket View Post
I haven't even seen this (blunder?) of Hainsey's, but I have seen plenty from him. It brings to mind, somewhere in a Dispatch article in the last month, Hitch talking about Hainsey. Last yr. he said he yanked Hainsey out in critical situations and (although he has evolved quite a bit) it was at a time he blindly passed to an opposing player which, again, led to the game losing goal. It was an attempted clear, only facing the boards without bothering to look around. As a team we tend to do this a lot, not just him. Hainsey is improving, I just don't know if we can afford the "pricetag". As Hitch keeps stating there is such a fine line twixt winning and losing and we keep ending up below this line. This team has such little room for error on most nights. I will call Hitch out for saying we are a better road team, more focused and better than at home. Results speak for themselves.
I agree with your callout.....we where better early in the season but that was short lived. We either change that (starting tonight) or will be switching teams to follow April 7th....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 08:05 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:

...my comment about the players was my lame attempt ...
...Hainsey, believe it or not, is actually growing on my a little...
... I still hate the Reds... I still feel dirty...
...However, I am weird...

Your best post ever, blahblah.

Old
01-04-2008, 08:57 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Your best post ever, blahblah.
lol, nice....

You have a career in jouralism.