HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Blue Jackets UFAs and RFAs

Old
01-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Nordique

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
I mentioned this in an earlier post, and it go absolutely no response, so I'll try again. How about signing Stu Barnes this offseason rather than either of these guys. He's been more reliable health-wise than Peca, and fits the roster in much the same way as we'd want MP to.

Definitely more offensive minded(with a 30 goal season) but 4 years older than Peca. I don't have a problem with that if the price is right. I think a veteran presense is underrated.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Definitely more offensive minded. I don't have a problem with that if the price is right. I think a veteran presense is underrated.
To restate my earlier line summation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Nash-Brassard-Hossa
Modin-Novotny-Zherdev
Lindstrom-Barnes-Voracek
Chimera-Malhotra-Boll
Shelley

Wish I could find a spot for Gilbert in there. And I can already hear people screaming about ruining Brass by putting him on the first line right out of the box. First, any spot must be earned. Second, how better to get him acclimated to the top line than putting Nash & Hossa on his wing?
Wonder what Hitch thinks of Stu? (EDIT: He arrived in Dallas post-Hitch.)

Old
01-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Aging Goalie

I think we might all get a pleasant surprise in Peca the rest of the season. If I remember right wasn't his incentive for games played set at 60. With games played so far he has not left himself much wiggle room the remainder of the season if he wants to get the extra cash.

As far as playing the roster game I will reserve my thoughts (at least somewhat) until after the trade deadline. No sense in getting our feathers all fluffed up about whether or not to resign a player who may not even be here at the end of the season. Deadline is close. Time for the wait and see what we do. We have to remember that just because we have always been out of it by now and had these discussions around this point of the season doesn't mean that we should necessarily count us out already this year. We are only one point out of the playoffs and if we were in the East we would be in right now.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 12:51 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
I think we might all get a pleasant surprise in Peca the rest of the season. If I remember right wasn't his incentive for games played set at 60. With games played so far he has not left himself much wiggle room the remainder of the season if he wants to get the extra cash.
His big incentive is if we make the playoffs; $500K I think. Games played was only $50K.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
His big incentive is if we make the playoffs; $500K I think. Games played was only $50K.
Yeah what is another 50K? Just some chump change.

My thoughts on our record when he is in vs. when he is IR is that if he hits one of those marks he may very well get them both.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 01:15 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Peca and Fedorov were the best players on the ice according to those LA radio announcers. I couldn't watch the game, but on the radio, Peca sounded pretty good. If we have a chance to bring him back for the same bargain price(1mill + incentive pay based on games played) then I can't see passing that up.
I watched the game last night. Peca got 2 goals, both of them for hitting the net (a good thing and I hope he keeps doing it). Feds had a decent game, the Ducks game was better, but not bad. Doesn't mean either of those guys are pieces we need or want to build our team around going forward. We are trying to build the foundation, not fill in the last 1 or 2 pieces. If I'm trying to build a team, Peca and Federov, in their current state, are not players I would be looking at. If I was looking for that final piece for a specific role. Possibly.

For parts of the game, Boll was the best player on the ice. Doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. I take what announcers says with a grain of salt. Some radio announcer in LA has probably see him about 3 times (the games we've played them) this year, maybe 10 times over the last 2 years. They are on the road and are busy following their own team.

Someone will give Feds some money. He's not worthless. 99.9% sure it won't be the Jackets, however.

If you read behind the lines a little, you kind of start to get a picture.

1. Hitch mentioned that if Recchi was a center, we might have picked him up.
2. Hitch has said Brassard will be up here soon, despite having Novotny, Feds, Manny, and Beech up here already. Unless he fails, he will very likely be playing somewhere on our roster next year.
3. The Jackets were, and still might be, interested in Dubinsky.
4. Novotny has basically earned a spot for next year. Manny seems, on the surface, to be close to a lock (although, honestly, I'm not sold Manny is going to be a Jacket 2 years from now).

If we happy with our center situation, we wouldn't been looking to bring up Brassard, we wouldn't have been trying to talk the Rangers out of Dubinsky, and Hitch wouldn't have made the comment about Recchi (none of them is really an answer from the top line, atm). You have to start to ask yourself where the minutes will go when you bring a guy like Brassard in. Something would have to give. Novotny is the only person that you probably would consider moving to the wing and I'm not sure the Jackets really want to do that. I, personally, think he's our best center right now.

If Brassard earns a spot, your looking at Novotny, Manny, and Brassard already in for next year. We are looking for that other center as we debate this issue. Doesn't sound like, to me, they are expecting Peca and/or Feds to be the answer for that 4th spot.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
If Brassard earns a spot, your looking at Novotny, Manny, and Brassard already in for next year. We are looking for that other center as we debate this issue. Doesn't sound like, to me, they are expecting Peca and/or Feds to be the answer for that 4th spot.
I don't think we disagree in that we both expect Howson to go after a Center UFA.

I see 5 centers(counting Brassard who may or may not play center initially) making the team and one of them being Peca or Fedorov(thats where we disagree).

UFA
Novotny
Peca or Feds
Maholtra
Brassard

Beech is still a wild card.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 02:08 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I see 5 centers(counting Brassard who may or may not play center initially) making the team and one of them being Peca or Fedorov(thats where we disagree).

UFA
Novotny
Peca or Feds
Maholtra
Brassard

Beech is still a wild card.
Brassard doesn't strike me a the "we'll play him at wing and go from there" type of guy. Pretty sure they want him to play center.

We'll see how it plays out, but I'll bet you $500 Feds is not here next season. I'll bet you $50 that he's not here the rest of the year (playoff run or not). I would bet more the $50 for this season, but with all the injuries we've had, who knows if we get healthy enough.

Peca, wouldn't bet money. However, I give the odds somethere around 10%, as of today.

What makes me really question you is that they were interested in a guy like Dubinsky. You figure he would end up on the 2nd or 3rd line, Novotny on the other, and Manny is still in the mix with Brassard. Dubinsky doesn't appear to be a top line kind of guy either. If you brought Dubinsky in, your probably still looking at another attempt for a UFA center this offseason.

Should be fun to see what happens....

Last edited by blahblah: 01-04-2008 at 02:13 PM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 03:09 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

If you read behind the lines a little, you kind of start to get a picture.

1. Hitch mentioned that if Recchi was a center, we might have picked him up.
2. Hitch has said Brassard will be up here soon, despite having Novotny, Feds, Manny, and Beech up here already. Unless he fails, he will very likely be playing somewhere on our roster next year.
3. The Jackets were, and still might be, interested in Dubinsky.
4. Novotny has basically earned a spot for next year. Manny seems, on the surface, to be close to a lock (although, honestly, I'm not sold Manny is going to be a Jacket 2 years from now).

If we happy with our center situation, we wouldn't been looking to bring up Brassard, we wouldn't have been trying to talk the Rangers out of Dubinsky, and Hitch wouldn't have made the comment about Recchi (none of them is really an answer from the top line, atm). You have to start to ask yourself where the minutes will go when you bring a guy like Brassard in. Something would have to give. Novotny is the only person that you probably would consider moving to the wing and I'm not sure the Jackets really want to do that. I, personally, think he's our best center right now.

Pretty good breakdown of some of the pertinent facts.

Novtony seems like a lock.
We’ll see about Brassard, but with the way he played in preseason and has played thus far in the AHL, I don’t think it is unreasonable to think he’ll be with the big club full time next year. We’ll know better in the next few months. His play will have a snowball effect on Peca and/or any possible acquisitions.
I could see either way with Manny - his usefulness might make him an attractive addition to a package deal if the Jackets are eyeing trades, but his positive attributes -- versatile, ace face-off guy, solid d, solid pk’er, not a pain-in-the-ass -- make him an ideal supporting player for a competitive team. Plus I think he’s a Hitch-type guy. My gut says he at least finishes his contract here.

I don’t think Fedorov will be with the Jackets next year, regardless of how he or any other center on the team plays. The issue of his desire to be here and the organziation’s desire to keep him is irrelevant IMO since I think it’ll be a pure money issue. Someone will be willing to pay more than the CBJ for him, even if the CBJ want to keep him.

As for Peca? There are some scenarios where I could see it (price and other options being the main factors), but the injuries have to be a huge concern. I like what Peca brings when he’s healthy, but he doesn’t seem to be able to stay healthy and when concussions are one of the issues, then that makes his health an even bigger concern IMO. If there is no faith that he can give close to a full season, then I say look elsewhere.

I’d expect some combination of Brule, Beech and Fritsche to still be around. That gives some center depth (if they decide to use Brule or Fritsche in that role), but at this point in time, I don’t expect any of those three to be counted on to hold down one of the four center spots.

That leaves one spot for a Player X.
The more Brassard shows, the more it changes who Player X will be.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote