HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Naslund: Tom [Renney] probably was ahead of his time

Old
01-04-2008, 03:29 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Naslund: Tom [Renney] probably was ahead of his time

Good article in the Vancouver Sun about Tom Renney.

Quote:
He did have a good technical approach and he ran very good practices, purposeful practices. That was revolutionary way back in 1997. There was a changing of the guard happening in how the game was played, how the game was coached.

Teammate Markus Naslund added: "In that way, Tom probably was ahead of his time. I think he would have been a lot easier for guys to accept now.

01-04-2008, 03:33 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Maybe he still is?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Maybe he still is?
Ten years from now his ice time allotment will make perfect sense.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 04:26 PM
The Thomas J.*

genuis!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Wayyy too much attention is being put on Renney right now and not enough on the players. There are so many underachieving players on this team right now and to be honest Renney is still searching for four lines that click.

HBO line while they don't score provide energy which u want from your bottom line. Yeah he uses them a lot more than we like but maybe he just don't like his other options at certain times.

Jagr hasn't been the same player as he was the last two seasons. While he is still putting up points he just doesn't seem to have those dominating shifts this season like he had in the past.

Drury has gone through scoring slumps since Oct.

Gomez has just really came on since Dec came around, before that he was struggling.

Avery has been oft injured this season and it has effected his conditioning.

Prucha has really been snake bitten and he was counted on to produce more goals.

Hossa was thought to be ready to bust out this season, or ateast put up 20. Yeah I know he's not his brother, but he does have offensive ability and he just seems to not use it in the right way. I like Hossa a lot but have grown frustrated with him.

Callahan shouldn't be on this team right now

Shanny also had a slow start and is right now one of hte best players on the team. But at his age can we really rely on him to carry this club? That is Jagr's job.

Lundqvist had an amazing start but has hit a slump. I am starting to see a pattern with him with these mid season slumps.

IMO the best players have been our defenders, stepping up with thier offensive play and doing a good job with younger guys back there like Girardi and Staal. Rozy has played way above expectations and I don't think we can say that about one foward on the club, which is the main problem with this team right now.

Lastly, I don't care what anyone says about his size but Dawes should be on this team. Yeah he's small but he's thick. He has shown more offensive ability in his time here than a lot of the guys I mentioned above and has put his time in HDF waiting for his chance. If they don't want him on this team then trade him while his stock is up cause he is just being wasted down on the farm.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 04:51 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Wayyy too much attention is being put on Renney right now and not enough on the players. There are so many underachieving players on this team right now and to be honest Renney is still searching for four lines that click.

HBO line while they don't score provide energy which u want from your bottom line. Yeah he uses them a lot more than we like but maybe he just don't like his other options at certain times.

Jagr hasn't been the same player as he was the last two seasons. While he is still putting up points he just doesn't seem to have those dominating shifts this season like he had in the past.

Gomez has just really came on since Dec came around, before that he was struggling.

Prucha has really been snake bitten and he was counted on to produce more goals.

Hossa was thought to be ready to bust out this season, or ateast put up 20. Yeah I know he's not his brother, but he does have offensive ability and he just seems to not use it in the right way. I like Hossa a lot but have grown frustrated with him.

Shanny also had a slow start and is right now one of hte best players on the team. But at his age can we really rely on him to carry this club? That is Jagr's job.

Lundqvist had an amazing start but has hit a slump. I am starting to see a pattern with him with these mid season slumps.

IMO the best players have been our defenders, stepping up with thier offensive play and doing a good job with younger guys back there like Girardi and Staal. Rozy has played way above expectations and I don't think we can say that about one foward on the club, which is the main problem with this team right now.

Lastly, I don't care what anyone says about his size but Dawes should be on this team. Yeah he's small but he's thick. He has shown more offensive ability in his time here than a lot of the guys I mentioned above and has put his time in HDF waiting for his chance. If they don't want him on this team then trade him while his stock is up cause he is just being wasted down on the farm.
good post i agree for the most part

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Maybe he still is?
Maybe...has he let up on the "No beer on the plane" policy yet?

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 07:26 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Ten years from now his ice time allotment will make perfect sense.
Nothing he does makes sense, I dont think Ive ever seen a more clueless coach.

Jagr Gomez and Straka are lighting it up. Yet he continues to keep those three seperated on the power play which has struggled ALL season?

He refuses to fix whats broken and works on whats working well.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 07:53 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

I agree with you there.

Quote:

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
aka "the Ozo rule"

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 10:00 AM
beastly115

Quote:

For the last time, Drury is not a goal scorer. He's on pace for the same number of points he's had over his whole career.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 12:36 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
For the last time, Drury is not a goal scorer. He's on pace for the same number of points he's had over his whole career.
Exactly. He was given big money for "good" offensive production (by no means "great") and for the intangibles he brings. IMO he was offered too much, but if the team goes far in the playoffs a couple of times over the life of the deal, his contract will have been worth it.

In fact "good" is the way I'd describe most of this team including its coach - by no means championship caliber but certainly better than its current .500 status.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 12:47 PM
MountVancouver'94

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Exactly. He was given big money for "good" offensive production (by no means "great") and for the intangibles he brings. IMO he was offered too much, but if the team goes far in the playoffs a couple of times over the life of the deal, his contract will have been worth it.

In fact "good" is the way I'd describe most of this team including its coach - by no means championship caliber but certainly better than its current .500 status.
I see the real problem being that we have very little snipers, and very little youth.

Straka, Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky, Avery...all centers. And one true "Sniper" is the oldest player on the team (Shanny). Even Prucha and Hollweg were centers orior to their NHL roles.

We need someone who is a selfish, natural viscous goal scorer. Someone who thinks "give me the puck cause i want to bury it". And it wouldn't hurt if the player was young and agressive about it. I'm not asking for a 40+ goal scorer...but I am asking for someone who can fill the slot where all the set ups are being wasted.

Straka, Gomez and Prucha are wasting alot of opps that come from the set plays. They should not be the sniper by design...

Also- if you really want 4th line Renney...then get a 4th line player on there. Orr has to go from that role...sorry. But get me a 4th line, and then use it like one.

MountVancouver'94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 12:51 PM
MountVancouver'94

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post

Well...actually he's farely below that. But I agree with your point regardless. Love the guy. Want him to retire a Rangers. Plus, Nylander and Cullen were atrocious in the faceoff circle...Drury is a beast there.

MountVancouver'94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 12:54 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hplaya94 View Post
Nothing he does makes sense, I dont think Ive ever seen a more clueless coach.

Jagr Gomez and Straka are lighting it up. Yet he continues to keep those three seperated on the power play which has struggled ALL season?

He refuses to fix whats broken and works on whats working well.
you must not remember low and trottier? renny may be alot of things but those two were really clueless!

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVancouver'94 View Post
Well...actually he's farely below that. But I agree with your point regardless. Love the guy. Want him to retire a Rangers. Plus, Nylander and Cullen were atrocious in the faceoff circle...Drury is a beast there.
Drury isn't 'farely below' his point totals, if that's what you were referring to.

98-99 - 44
99-00 - 67
00-01 - 65
01-02 - 46
02-03 - 53
03-04 - 53
05-06 - 67
06-07 - 69
07-08 (On pace for..) - 56

Average Season Point Totals in Career before 07-08: 58

2 Points below his Average Season Point Total.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 01:34 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Drury isn't 'farely below' his point totals, if that's what you were referring to.

98-99 - 44
99-00 - 67
00-01 - 65
01-02 - 46
02-03 - 53
03-04 - 53
05-06 - 67
06-07 - 69

you don't factor games played to that average, or even progression.

given his previous two seasons in addition to his past success, he's clearly set a standard for himself, and that should be what we look at. he wasn't paid for what he did 3-4 years ago, he's paid for what he did last season.

a more accurate way to judge his production this season:
this season his points per game total is .68

lets take a look at how that compares.

06-07 - .90
05-06 - .83

03-04 - .70
02-03 - .66
01-02 - .56
00-01 - .92
99-00 - .82
98-99 - .56

Old
01-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

98-99 - 44
99-00 - 67
00-01 - 65
01-02 - 46
02-03 - 53
03-04 - 53
05-06 - 67
06-07 - 69

Yawn. For 7 mil per season I want more outa the guy. Fans cried bloody hell about Holik making 9 mil and didn't care much about his "intangibles" which were the same as Drury brings to the table. Wins faceoffs, plays physical at times, good in the defensive zone. Now this was only 2 mil more than Drury but also before a salary cap NHL when it didn't matter if you had all 12 fowards making 9 mil per season. The offesne he does have this season has come in chunks with him going through some cold spells. Not the guy I wanted when we signed him at 7 mil per.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post

given his previous two seasons in addition to his past success, he's clearly set a standard for himself, and that should be what we look at. he wasn't paid for what he did 3-4 years ago, he's paid for what he did last season.

06-07 - .90
05-06 - .83

03-04 - .70
02-03 - .66
01-02 - .56
00-01 - .92
99-00 - .82
98-99 - .56
Another good way to look at it, probably the more accurate one, but given his constant line shuffling and playing in a struggling offensive Ranger system up until recently, which is still kind of struggling, .68 should be increased and will by the end of the season, but is, by no means, far off of what we expect of him. He played very well in Buffalo, another example of that is him against us in the playoffs last year, Buffalo fans can probably tell you why he played so well there, but I'll give him some time to come into this Ranger system and get accustomed to regular linemates, and ones that can dish it off and play, not ones that he has to cover for because defensively they aren't good.

Old
01-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Yawn. For 7 mil per season I want more outa the guy. Fans cried bloody hell about Holik making 9 mil and didn't care much about his "intangibles" which were the same as Drury brings to the table. Wins faceoffs, plays physical at times, good in the defensive zone. Now this was only 2 mil more than Drury but also before a salary cap NHL when it didn't matter if you had all 12 fowards making 9 mil per season. The offesne he does have this season has come in chunks with him going through some cold spells. Not the guy I wanted when we signed him at 7 mil per.
He's not the guy anyone wanted for 7 mil per, this argument has been brought up not one by thousands of times, everyone on this board is well aware of what he's making, and what Gomez is making, and what Vanek is making, and Briere, etc...

Are they worthy of their contracts? No.

Were they already signed? Yes.

Can you do anything about it? No.

Take it for what it is and stop worrying about their cap hit and worry about their play, we know they aren't worth their contracts, but look at how they played beforehand and how they aren't playing now and how they are helping the team, not their cap hit.

Old
01-05-2008, 01:45 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Are they worthy of their contracts? No.
imo, if he duplicates his production of last season and plays his steady, all around game that he's played his entire career, he is worthy of his contract.

that is where the disappointment comes from, not the initial.. "he's not worth blabal". he's worth it because he's performed to that level the past two seasons, and thats what he's earned as a result.

the fact he ISN'T performing to that level this year makes him disappointing.

Old
01-05-2008, 01:55 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Sorry if you wanted more, but Drury isn't a 7M player. He has never been in the past so it's not fair to suddenly expect him to be one now. Now if he was putting up 100pts in previous seasons and suddenly on pace for 60, you'd have a legitimate complaint (see: Jagr). But as the above posts state, he's roughly on pace for how he's performed his whole career.

Old
01-05-2008, 02:01 PM
beastly115

Quote:

06-07 - .90
05-06 - .83

03-04 - .70
02-03 - .66
01-02 - .56
00-01 - .92
99-00 - .82
98-99 - .56
Fair point, but I don't think it's fair to look at how he played in Buffalo and expect him to produce the same here in NY. According to those numbers, Drury has averaged 0.74 ppg over his career. Right now he's on pace for 0.68. That's nearly on pace for how he's performed his whole career.

Drury is not the one who is underachieving. Jagr is.

Old
01-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
imo, if he duplicates his production of last season and plays his steady, all around game that he's played his entire career, he is worthy of his contract.

that is where the disappointment comes from, not the initial.. "he's not worth blabal". he's worth it because he's performed to that level the past two seasons, and thats what he's earned as a result.

the fact he ISN'T performing to that level this year makes him disappointing.
He's not worth 7 million from his past two seasons, Sather's just an idiot.

67 and 69 points aren't worthy of 7 million dollar contracts, a goal is a point just like an assist is a point, whether he matches 67 and 69 points with mostly goals or mostly assists, I'd be more than pleased.

He's on pace for 58 points, so to your logic, if he's got his money and is worth 7 million due to the past two seasons, if he gets 10 more points than he's worthy of his money, but you also just stated that if he doubles his production he's worth his money, so I'm confused..

The fact of the matter is if Drury puts up 100+ points a year or 100, while still being amazing in all the other departments he helps a team win in, then he's worth 7 million, but that won't ever happen.