HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much for #1 pick?

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
How much for #1 pick?

Ok, I know realistically that the Oilers would NEVER do it. Really. I know. I do. But I'm just curious to see how much of an overpay would us posters be willing to commit in order to draft ovechkin. Or... how about Crosby next year?

(assuming that the CBA is in place and the Oilers have enough $ to pay these guys and the russian transfer fee etc.)

Note: THIS IS JUST FOR FUN. I'm not seriously advocating that we trade for the #1 pick.

I would be willing to trade Jason Smith, the Oilers' first rounder, the Philly first rounder, a prospect (Rita or Salmelainen) and Chimera/Isbister for Ovechkin. I'd try to pry young prospect Ouellet out of there too. Darn. Looking at it, its probably not enough.

Old
04-08-2004, 02:40 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I'd be willing to pay that too, but it wouldn't be enough.

Old
04-08-2004, 02:40 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
that won't be nowhere near enough. id imagine we'd need to consider trading players of the value of Smyth, Hemsky and Brewer before things got anywhere

Old
04-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Walsher

The price is too expensive. Plus, if Washington wants to regain the trust of their fans they will likely want to draft Ovechkin to ensure a star player in the next few years. No way the Oilers trade up - no way anyone trades up if the Caps have any sense.

Old
04-08-2004, 04:03 PM
get yer Aivazoff

Let me preface this by saying, "YES, I have seen Crosby play in person; and YES, you are absolutely free to disagree with me about his potential or the likelihood of him succeeding."

I want Crosby, and I would give up A LOT. I'm sure the price would include Brewer + Hemsky + 2 1st round picks + prospects, and I think I'd bite the bullet.

Ovechkin doesn't interest me enough to warrant any kind of overpay like that.

Old
04-08-2004, 09:54 PM
smytty's mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by get yer Aivazoff
Let me preface this by saying, "YES, I have seen Crosby play in person; and YES, you are absolutely free to disagree with me about his potential or the likelihood of him succeeding."

I want Crosby, and I would give up A LOT. I'm sure the price would include Brewer + Hemsky + 2 1st round picks + prospects, and I think I'd bite the bullet.

Ovechkin doesn't interest me enough to warrant any kind of overpay like that.

on the radio the other day they were discussing what might happen next year with crosby in the draft and the possibility of no season. one of the scenario's the nhl is apparently looking at is a draw among all the non playoff teams from this year with each of the 14 teams having an equal chance of winning the lottery. there would be no weighting based on this years results. i'll believe it when i see it, but a guys free to dream, no?

Old
04-08-2004, 10:36 PM
choppystride

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Ok, I know realistically that the Oilers would NEVER do it. Really. I know. I do. But I'm just curious to see how much of an overpay would us posters be willing to commit in order to draft ovechkin. Or... how about Crosby next year?

(assuming that the CBA is in place and the Oilers have enough $ to pay these guys and the russian transfer fee etc.)

Note: THIS IS JUST FOR FUN. I'm not seriously advocating that we trade for the #1 pick.

I would be willing to trade Jason Smith, the Oilers' first rounder, the Philly first rounder, a prospect (Rita or Salmelainen) and Chimera/Isbister for Ovechkin. I'd try to pry young prospect Ouellet out of there too. Darn. Looking at it, its probably not enough.
Is it just me or does anyone else think Ovechkin is a bit too overhyped? I only have a few WJC games to go by my so-called "analysis" could definitely be called into question. But in the few games that I've seen him play, what I saw was an excellent junior player who will make a very good pro, probably even a star. But a superstar player/franchise type? I'm not so sure. He just seems to lack that high end creativity that I would expect from a player who's been projected to be as great as he is. Yes, I know, he's fast, has a excellent shot, etc, etc. But mostly he just goes up & down his wing & try to rely on his speed. I just expected him to be a bit more dynamic & creative. This is in contrast to Zherdev (who was unfortunately way underused by Russia), who was much more elusive, creative, shifty. Zherdev was much better at changing pace, changing direction, and showing an extra spurt of speed at the right moment. Ovechin just seemed to want to go fast & straight all the time.

IMHO, I think the upside for Ovechkin is perhaps Hossa. This is still very good. But I don't think he's in the same league as say Gretz, Lemieux, Forsberg, Lindros (in his healthy days) like some have implied.

If getting him means the Oilers have to give up our two 1st rounders + Hemsky, I honestly am not sure if I would want that.

Old
04-09-2004, 09:44 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
ovechkin is only good for us if it means he gets to play with Hemsky.

Closed Thread